• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen [Spoiler]Akuroma

Cid

Years
Indeed, Akuroma feels way more sinister compared to the other professors. And Professor Juniper specifically gives great contrast. He could create a facade with his position as a professor, and it would make the games incredibly interesting if he actually turns out to be the main villain. Him sucking up to the main characters and everyone else sounds really plausible, and he might even be revealed late in the game as a villain to make it more evil.

I don't think he has to have a relation with Ghetsis or N, though, not that I would care too much if they did that. And yes, I think they will actually give him enough backstory if he is a villain. Heck, even if they don't make him bad, they should at least give him backstory for being a professor. And why his hairstyle oddly reminds me of Kyurem.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
I'm still not convinced that he is the professor for the game. Have they said that he is or something and I just didn't see it?
Maybe he's just a scientist that plays a main role. I mean just because he has a lab coat doesn't mean he is the professor of the game. I'm still thinking that he's just some celebrity, being all nice and popular for the public, while behind closed doors he's plotting a way to take over the region/world.

Years
I agree with Jellicent, I'm confident that this new guy has a somewhat darker role than the standard Professor of a Pokemon game. The fact that they've shown him in the introductory video and in various stages throughout the game, I'll bet that he's all friendly at first but then it turns out he's the head of Neo-Team Plasma or whatever.
It seems a little... you know, "That's what they want us to think", and seeing as Black/White was so full of surprises, it's hard to know what way GameFreak have gone with this.

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
When I first saw it, I figured he'd be evil. If he's not I'll be surprised, because it looks very obvious.

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
Years
Maybe he's not the Team Plasma leader at all...It's very possible that Team Plasma as a whole team will not be in the game (I mean with all the grunts and stuff. Ghetsis and N will most likely be back.) So it's possible that Akuroma, if he is a team leader(which I firmly believe because of his book scene) then he could have his own team...COUGH TEAM NOVA COUGH

Guy

just a guy
Years
I'm definitely alongside those who believe Akuroma will be presented as the "secretly-bad-guy-but-playing-good" character. The meaning of his name aside, just the design of his character alone gives off this certain vibe to which you don't trust him. Not to mention how much of a bigger role he seems to have in these game. It just doesn't seem like he's going to be presented as the region professor as Jellicent stated earlier. It seems as though he'll be so much more than that.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I'm still not convinced that he is the professor for the game. Have they said that he is or something and I just didn't see it?
Maybe he's just a scientist that plays a main role. I mean just because he has a lab coat doesn't mean he is the professor of the game. I'm still thinking that he's just some celebrity, being all nice and popular for the public, while behind closed doors he's plotting a way to take over the region/world.

I agree with Jellicent, I'm confident that this new guy has a somewhat darker role than the standard Professor of a Pokemon game. The fact that they've shown him in the introductory video and in various stages throughout the game, I'll bet that he's all friendly at first but then it turns out he's the head of Neo-Team Plasma or whatever.
It seems a little... you know, "That's what they want us to think", and seeing as Black/White was so full of surprises, it's hard to know what way GameFreak have gone with this.

He's not a Professor. He's a Researcher.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
A researcher can be another name for proffesor. All we know of him we get from judging from his looks...he could be a nice proffesor, or an evil guy, or both (minus the nice part)...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Not necessarily, since I'm sure all researchers in B/W weren't professors :( Don't really think he'd be the regional professor, though. I'm sure there's someone else we'll be going to for that anyway since he doesn't seem helpful.

Cid

Years
Him not seeming helpful could be a good ploy for them to approach the game! They never did something like this before, they almost did in R/B before releasing it judging from the unused Professor Oak battle data but that was much more tame. It would be cool if he actually is the regional professor this time.

I see your points as to why he doesn't feel like he would be. But the only researcher this personalized (that's not a regional professor) of recent memory would be Fennel, and somehow Akuroma doesn't strike me as the Fennel-type recurring character. Not that he should.

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
Years
Tbh, Fennel really only was important at the beginning of the game, so I'm not sure that's a good comparison. But he doesn't strike me as that type either.

Cid

Years
I guess. I only had a few examples to choose from as for researchers that aren't professors. Most that are in-game are not personalized at all, bearing one lab coat wearing sprite like those aides the regional professor has, very much unlike Fennel and Akuroma. The latter even shows up in the introduction, so that shows his large role I guess. In fact, wouldn't it be weird if the game had two researchers and the regional professor turns out to be the less important character between the two? Wait, with Oak and Elm, they did that in Gen II.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
Akuroma seems far too important to be just a researcher. Though maybe he's attempting to be the regional professor? Or a replacement for Juniper just for some time?

dreamcatcher

Lump Appraiser
Years
I think that if he doesn't turn out to be an evil genius, he'll end up serving the same purpose as Professor Oak did in Jhoto. Hopefully he plays a larger role that that though, because he has an interesting design and a mischevious look to him, so I hope he turns out to be evil. :P

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
Okay we know for sure that Akuroma won't be handing us our starters. And so far with the news we've gotten, it doesn't look like he'll be the region's Professor either.

Hmm.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Definitely leaning towards him being the new leader of Plasma then. While something on the side would be great, since he doesn't have a "good" role, all that's left to assume is they'll go with the obvious and make him Plasma's leader.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Watch he'll become a "Scott" or "Looker" role. One speculated to have great purpose, but really he doesn't even need to exist.

Maybe he set up the World Championship to test all the trainers around the world. I mean they do show him coming to meet the new PC on a stage that looked like it could be some major event. Maybe it was the World Tournament's Champions Platform and Akuroma was awarding him the trophy.

He is studying Pokemon's Strengths. Seems like the best way to show a Pokemon's strength by pitting them against the world's greatest trainers.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
^ I agree, his presence in the tournament makes me feel that he's out to look for strong trainers much like Scott himself was, perhaps they have a connection, both being people who look for strong trainers.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Maybe he's hosting the world tournament because he wants to see what trainers he could potentially recruit. Why have someone in an introduction that hosts what we think is most likely just a post-game thing? >))>

Back