• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Release] Pok?mon Essentials, version 16.2 - 21st May 2016

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Pokémon Essentials, version 16.2 - 21st May 2016

Pokémon Essentials, version 16
7th December 2015

Download

Sweet...

GENerally SIXy
  • I suppose it's been a long time coming. Pokémon X & Y came out over two years ago, but Essentials kept plodding on without their new moves or battle mechanics (well, I added Mega Evolution, but you know what I mean). It was really about time that Essentials got itself up to date. So that's what I did. All the moves/items/abilities now have effects and work properly, up to and including the Gen 6 ones. There is a simple little setting which you can toggle to choose whether you want the Gen 5 battle mechanics or the Gen 6 ones. There are separate settings for things like critical capture, splitting shared Exp, and gaining Exp for capturing a Pokémon, just in case you want to use some of those but not others.
No Longer Spinning You Right Round, Baby
  • Yes, you heard that correctly. I'm sorry to say that the classic and much-loved "spin around very fast" evolution animation is no more, replaced by the boring old one that you can see in some of the official games. And in other animation news, trying to run somewhere while the game is paused used to make the player jig around on the spot, but, again, no longer. At least the other NPCs don't move around either while you're paused, though. But I'll tell you what does move around all the time: Pokémon sprites. They're animated everywhere now. And actually, you can now have animated item icons too. Fewer moves look like Tackle now, as the default move animation is now different depending on the move's type - for instance, a Flying-type move that doesn't have its own animation will look like Gust.
Weighing All These Options
  • The Options screen is now noticeably bigger, with volume controls, a run function toggle (hold to run or tap to auto-run), and a screen border all waiting for you to fiddle with. Is that not enough? How about another screen size, sitting between Medium and (what was) Large? Or how about full screen? Yes, I know it doesn't look perfect on very large screens, but that's one of the limitations of RMXP. And with the addition of a "Quit Game" command, Essentials finally has a proper way to turn itself off.
Any Other Business
  • Several PBS files were changed, and old versions of them will not work properly/as intended. You should always bear this in mind, but it's particularly relevant now. Speaking of files, the Pokémon cries have been moved to their own folder, and some other SE files have been tweaked (try logging on to a PC now). The Pokédex now shows you what you're looking at, as you might expect it should. You can be looking at your party and choose to use an item on one of them without having to go back to the pause menu and into the Bag. Trainer types can be assigned skill codes, which can be used to alter their behaviour in battle. The example maps have been polished up a bit, such as the Poké Centre healing animation which now looks nicer, I think. And so on and so forth.

The full change log for this version is available on the wiki.

Have fun!

ATTENTION!

Pokémon Essentials version 16.1 has now been released.

It contains fixes for some major bugs that cropped up in v16. Go download it if you want your game to work properly.

ATTENTION!

Pokémon Essentials version 16.2 has now been released.

It contains a bunch of bug fixes, as well as some efficiency improvements. Go download it if you want your game to work properly.

Last edited:

TheKenny

The only real Kenny!
Years
Thanks a lot! I really appreciate your work, it's awesome as every time. Keep up the more than just awesome work! :)

Years
Didn't do a full upgrade since I've made a lot of changes already to my code and doing a full update would be months of work. But since a lot of your edits involved getting Gen VI to work properly, doesn't look like I need to do a full update.

What I did take was the type-dependent default move animations, and module PBEggGroups.

KillerMapper

Helix Follower
Years
Good news! Thanks for this update! The border feature is a nice addition, especially if we can customize it (and we can).

And all of those new settings. I love them.

Telemetius

Tele*
Years
Nice! Are Gen 6 project and Luka's elite battle system both compatible with this version?

EDIT Yup, they are!

Last edited:

Schrroms

Pokémon Infinite Fusion dev
Years
Ahhhh man.
I was using an older version. I kept saying there was no point in upgrading to the latest version since it had been released almost a year ago and a new one was bound to come out sooner or later.

Then last week I finally gave up and upgraded to 15.1.
... And then a week later this comes out!

But seriously though, this update looks great. I can't wait to try it out.

Added type-specific default move animations.
I actually started working on something like that for my game but ran into some problems. This will make it much easier!

Random question. Has the perspective viewmode been fixed? I would've loved to use it, but it seemed to completely disregard tile priorities, which made it unusable.

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I tried perspective mode once, thought it looked terrible, and never looked at it again. I doubt I ever will.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
Nice update, finally, all the moves/abilites/items! I was wishing this during years!

Why you don't update the PBS? If you don't wish the new pokémon, because of new graphics absense, just don't put them.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 18, 2019
I'm having a rather serious problem with my "vanilla" 16.1 Pokémon Essentials; whenever i try to capture a pokémon, the game crashes even before the pokéball hits it. Worse of all, without even a log message.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 16, 2020
I tried perspective mode once, thought it looked terrible, and never looked at it again. I doubt I ever will.

That's kind of a bummer. I'd really like to use it, but it doesn't respect tile priority, and I have no idea how to fix it, or if it can be fixed.

sm7302

Ace Trainer Seamor
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 26, 2021
New here, does 16.2 include the Gen6 Pokemon?

Back