• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What's so special about N? [May contain B2W2 spoilers]

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
N is just so...tragic. I mean, seriously, his room almost brought a tear to my eye. The whole storyline of Black and White is just so well-scripted until after you beat Ghetsis (then there's just less of it, and Looker's mission is a bit of crap tbh, although the Sages are interesting).

I like how he's battled so much, I think you battle him more than you battle Cheren and Bianca. And to keep it interesting, his entire team changes every time (Except for possibly a Klink evolving to a Klinklang). He looks pretty cool / weird, has nice theme music, and nice battle music, and just...generally he is good. I like all of the main characters in the games, except Dawn / Lucas as an NPC, and whilst I don't think N is my favourite, he's still pretty damn brilliant.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
The mans room is filled with recently played with children's toys, I think that sums N up.

Really? I swear it mentioned they were from long ago, idk. Either way, that's a good thing imo. It means he's still a child at heart, which kinda relates to Ghetsis, as N then personifies Ghetsis' child-like side, and is why they're opposed to each other, so like Ghetsis had N's childhood innocence but then got too caught up in trying to capture everyone's Pokemon or something.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
He seems to be a character seeing everything for one perspective humans are bad and pokemon are good most if not all humans oppress pokemon so I will take them from them and "free" them cause that is what they want. He is just a warped character that was made into what he is by his dad, he was shown one side of things and was pushed to believe and abide by that. What I don't get is he says he understands the pokemon yet he couldn't tell from the Plasma grunts pokemon they their pokes they were using were being used for tools not as being freedom fighters. He is definitely a complex character, and hopefully we see more developement in future games. Personally though I wish I could just fastword all his babble though, through out the who game he seems like he was so self righteous. Look through the eyes of people who don't abuse pokemon judge for yourself not let Ghetsis twist your thoughts.

Autobot Silverwynde

Automaton Protector
Years
The mans room is filled with recently played with children's toys, I think that sums N up.
Yeah, it does and that's why I feel so badly for him.

At first I really wasn't sure how I felt about N; the entire exchange on the Ferris Wheel left me confused. Why did he feel the need to tell me that he was the King of Team Plasma? Was he trying to persuade me to join his cause? Did he view me (or my character) as a friend? I'll admit that had me scratching my head. But as the game progressed, my feelings about N changed.

N is just as screwed up in the head as I am. On top of that, we were both damaged thanks to our parents and it was all in the name of selfishness. In the end, as N left, I wanted to throw my arms around him and hug him.

In N's case, Ghetsis simply saw him as a means to an end and kept him on a very short leash, warping his views about people and Pokemon. My mother kept me on a very short leash as well; she gave up her firstborn for adoption and never told me about it, so she played the role of the helicopter parent, keeping me extremely close. With N, Ghetsis saw an opportunity for his own self-gain and took it; my mother was so psychologically damaged by what happened to her that she couldn't think straight and never let me have a life of my own. In the end, we both ended up with the same result--N and I both have a very naive view of the world and although we are adults, we are mentally stuck as children. It takes a lot to work past that, trust me.

I didn't want N to leave at the game's conclusion, but I understood why he did--you have to get away from all that, have no contact with those who hurt you before you can start healing. When you learn your life is a lie, always was a lie, you have to get away from the familiar and spend some time alone, sorting through everything. N left Unova while I haven't spoken to my mother in over six months. (I'm still trying to deal with it all and I'm slowly getting better.)

I could go on for pages on this, but I think I'll stop here. To sum it all up, I felt horrible for N and all he endured. Personally, I think he's one of the most fleshed out "villains" I've ever encountered. He really struck a chord with me.

ichuesther

The girl with the Charizard.
Years
As said earlier, I really liked this storyline. It's kind of an introduction to a philosophy that has been argued for a long time-- morality and what defines trust. I personally think N's intentions were somewhat exaggerated, and at times a bit hypocritical and confusing. But that actually made it more realistic for me, considering the fact that he was very well confused himself.
I honestly think that he should have stuck around more after the whole castle thing happening and whatnot.
I really do wish that they would lengthen the storyline a bit more. I really do enjoy them, and especially the one introduced in Black and White.

Dr. Montague

FOnewm
Years
"N has been separated from people since he was young. He was brought up with Pokémon... Pokémon that were betrayed, mistreated and hurt by bad people. Ghetsis deliberately brought only those poor Pokémon closer to N. N was touched by their plight, and started pursuing ideals/the truth, thinking only of Pokémon. N's heart is pure and innocent. But there is nothing more beautiful and terrifying than innocence."

Bulbapedia copied >.>

This is mostly the reason I found N to be such a special character, especially for the Pokemon series. Unlike the other evil teams, N's belief on the separation was a rather pure cause, based on his upbringing. He was a different turn for the Pokemon series' approach to "Is catching Pokemon right?", and the way N acted throughout the game truly helped mask Ghetsis/Team Plasma's true intentions. Of course, this was made a lot better by avoiding game spoilers >.>

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I was an N fangirl until I understood what he was saying a la English release. What a creep. No one dares talks to my Galvantula! :(
Same here - he did come off as a real creeper to me, that is, not 'I was also an N fangirl'. =p I was initially interested in him in the lead-up to the release but given his dialogue in the game... I really don't like him, and I also fail to see how he's handsome (I can see why others find him so but to me he's got really pale skin - and again, creeper-esque behaviour...and also I don't swing that way anyways, so! =p)

However it sure helped make me hate Ghetsis more because he basically made N like that - maybe he would have been a cool guy if it wasn't for him.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
The only thing special about N is his hair... :) and him being the only teenage leader of an evil/pokemonatarian organization.

y stri

Got no theme right now.
Years
N scares me, to be honest. Imagine this: a mix between a Mary Sue (because of all his "I'm the Chosen One and I'm better than you because I treat Pokemon REALLY good), a stalker (Is it me or do you run into him too much?), and Near from Death Note (Why? N's room is full of toys and he's apparently smart [or he just likes talking about math all the time]). Now, put him at the head of PETA.

Oh, and the music that played in his room kinda reminded me of the Harry Potter theme.

XxSweetDreamsxX

From the shadows~
Years
I thought he was a well designed character with a lot of plot. Then again, he was a Mary Sue...

Plus, I can't imagine how creepy the ferriswheel scene must be for some people. I'm an N fangirl, but I'm not insane and I know his characters has many flaws just like other characters do.

I like his hair though. >u> I mean, really. Who doesn't like his hair? ITS GREEN

magikarpower

Experienced Collector
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jul 15, 2012
N is not supposed to be the coolest character among the die hard fans i believe. I think he represents the controversy that many die hard fans have questioned among themselves. He is a great approach to the new generation of children (he looks cool to them with his hair and face in general to the kids) while he proposes a story line to a game (and possibly games if they make a Gen VI) that catches the interest of the now adults who played Pokemon at the age of 7 and younger. Who would honestly want another story line in the new Gen (V in this case) that involved (a) main character(s) that did not question their own ideals in their quest to raise Pokemon. He is the base to the story line and possibly the revival of Pokemon in many people's hearts.

NatureKeeper

N was the only character with a notable backstory and deep characters. Previous bosses, Cyrus excluded, were pretty much evil jackasses who wanted to do evil things and basically annoy you to death.

N is the opposite. Since he was little, Ghetsis made Pokémon maltreated by humans come near N, who became friends. He gained the ability to communicate with Pokémon in the process. Ghetsis made him think that all humans treat Pokémon this badly and he needs his help to liberate the Pokémon from humans. Seeing the abused Pokémon of his use, he agreed. However, he was taken by surprise seeing that Blair/Whitlea's Pokémon enjoyed their companionship. He decided he needs power to make people who "were evil to shrugg off his speeches" obey and liberate the Pokémon. Ghetsis used him because he recognized his purity is the only thing that could make the legendary Zekrom (B) or Reshiram (W) ally itself with Team Plasma's cause. However, the player stood as his opposite, allying with Reshiram (B) or Zekrom (W) to help stop him. He was looking for the ideal world for Pokémon (or truth in white but the story this way is lame. :/). Only to be stopped by the player, who stands for the truth. In the end, it was discovered he was manipulated. Now you know why N is special. Read another boss's story for comparison.

Giovanni: Raised by a rich mother who spoiled him and he suceeded her in leading Team Rocket forming terror everywhere in hopes of ruling Kanto and Johto for greed and money.

I guess you now know the difference.

Sul_Zala

Collector of tales
Years
What is so special about him? I think it's that many many female Pokemon players think of him as charming to hot. Might be a Draco in Leatherpants Syndrome. While I'm kinda a fangirl of him (and a devout Ferriswheelshipper >_>"") and actually considered playing BW because of him (You're fighting PETA? Oh Arceus I must play this game.), I view him as a child. Someone who is optimistic and has the ideals and also mannerisms of a child (which is why I prefer a little timeskip before shipping...). Most of the story made me pity him and think this boy really needs someone to teach him how the world really works.
I mean, in the end, every leader is a more or less crazed ideal. Giovanni... is arguable, but I read a conversation somewhere on dA where they closed some logic gaps in the Pokemon world and it became dystopian and Giovanni thus became a humanist for trying to establish human domination again... Archie and Maxie too are idealists, although they're pretty mad and have no idea of the concept of balance. Cyrus too is an idealist, for he wants to create a perfect world by destroying the old one. Pretty mad, too. N wants to create a world where Pokemon don't have to suffer. Noble, but he lacks information, knowledge. And gets used.
In the end, he is the Leader of Team Plasma only in name, it's G-Cis (or Ghetsis or however it's spelled.) who pulls the strings. "King" of Team Plasma... Such a fairytale term.
But other than that, he has potential. He's a fricking psychic (Though NO ONE will beat Morty >_>), with a little training and catching up on world mechanics he could become one of the fairest judges (pun not intended...) or even get some idiots to properly treat their Pokemon.

Hm, just my two cents, most is probably repetition of previous posts xD"

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
Years
N is a hot, sexy beast whose philosophy everyone should follow ^_____^

Seriously though, I do like his philosophy on Pokemon, though I'd expect he wouldn't mind people catching and raising Pokemon as much if his son of a female dog father didn't warp his outlook on how people raise Pokemon. Honestly, I think he just needs a hug, you know? ;;

Years
  • Seen Jul 9, 2011
Aside from the fact that I love his character design, I love him as a character as well. He's just so interesting and his mysterious past leaves your imagination open for so many possibilities. He seems to be one of the few characters that actually has a personality and back story.

Shizz

Popcorn Fantic
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 3, 2011
I'm female, and I want to punch his Peta-Inspired face. Perhaps he should join a real animal rights group. >u>

Frisky Arcanine

Jumpluff Hugger
Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2011
I like N - For a pokemon game he's awesome; for a game, he's all right

I don't get the whole "he just looks like a hippie" thing, hahaha. My brother and I had hair and the like similar to N for a long while, and way more people I knew in the 90s (and still). That's not saying anything about the hippie look, I always liked that too :p

Aside from having a cool design..

He's finally a major player in the plot that is interesting! To a degree, at least. At first he was just the usual eccentric character of the game. But his background became very interesting and I honestly don't understand how so many people who play games find him weird/unusual, there have been plenty of characters in games like this. I'm really interested to see if more is revealed about him in the future. I mean, is he Ghetsis' son? Is he an experiment or something? Is it Ghetsis himself? Deep for a pokemon game, but it'd be cool :p

Considering how sheltered he was (he was obviously isolated for a long time, and groomed by Ghetsis) it makes sense that he acts somewhat awkward and all, and that his room is strange.

Basically all I can do is mostly rehash Nemesis and Glaceon. He's not super special, but cool for a pokemon game. Personally I like his outlook/personality, though I don't like how he pushes his ideals on others - but he was groomed to be that way. He's more likeable than a snobby neighbor kid or your annoying friend with serious ADHD issues, or your friend with the receding hairline and red glass that is obsessed with being a champion and comes off as a doucherocket. And about him being weak..when have you played a pokemon game where any of your rivals were that great =P

anyway to finish up the wall of text, I've seen way more Elesa/Cynthia fanboys and that's even more overbearing D:

drarixio

Charging up since '89
Years
1) He's a twisted, demented loony about pokemon, kinda like how I am with animals...

2) He wears a hat, has VERY long hair and his clothes are EPIC...I mean, what more do you want?

3) He's a hero (captured Reshi or Zekky).

4) He has an awesome posture.

Back