• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

best and worst regional dexes

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
replaying diamond and wow the lack of fire types really comes into play if you didn't pick chimchar. I think they fixed this a bit in platinum but it still wasn't really enough and is still a real issue in the game imo. which regional dex do you think did the worst job of having balanced and interesting Pokémon? what about the best?

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
I'm a fan of regional dexes that mostly consist of a majority of the new pokemon, i.e. Kanto, Hoenn and BW Unova. Because it showcases the new pokemon and makes you more likely to use them and get to know them better, Kanto benefited from this since it was the first and there was no previous pokemon. That's one of the reasons why gen 1 pokemon are so popular. But the Kanto dex was very imbalanced still, lots of poison types, reused typings.

I don't like regional dexes with new and a lot of old mixed in like Johto, Alola and especially Kalos because the old shows up a lot and the new is more sparse. DP dex didn't even have all the new Gen IV pokemon in it, which I think is more silly than the lack of fire types. But Platinum really improved the Sinnoh dex. B2W2 along with Platinum are the best at combining old pokemon and new pokemon.

Speaking of Kalos, I feel like one of the few who didn't like the Kalos dex, cause it was so expansive and full of pokemon from all generations. I like being limited to certain pokemon which is I like the Unova dex and adore the limited options in Colosseum and XD.

Here's how I would rank the regional dexes

BW Unova > Hoenn > B2W2 Unova > Platinum Sinnoh > Kanto > DP Sinnoh > Johto > Alola > Kalos

The only reason the Johto dex is above the Alola dex is because I like Johto pokemon more.

Last edited:

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Kanto or Kalos would be the ones I particularly dislike I think. I'm surprised to see myself say Kanto, but it actually didn't have a particularly great balance despite introducing some classics. I too really like dexes that have mostly original Pokémon (Hoenn, Unova), as long as they're well balanced, but we'll probably see more mixed dexes in the future because I'm really not sure how many more original Pokémon they want to introduce - they're nearing a thousand and have definitely been slowing down in newer generations. I can't really say where it'll go from here. BW/BW2 are my favs though.

smocks

fiat lux
Years
I really disliked how the Kalos Dex was set up, I wasn't a big fan of the Regional Dex being broken up to certain areas of the region

Also the amount of variety, even with Pokemon from other generations, felt lacking due to certain pokemon holding a certain amount of appeal over other pokemon which made Kalos teams be a bit redundant

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Kalos's dex is probably my favorite (never played so who knows), because of its large variety of Pokémon.

Old Sinnoh's is my absolute least favorite. Hoenn's lack of Ice-types is sort of reasonable, but not Sinnoh's lack of FIRE-TYPES.

Back