• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Character RP Challenge

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 25, 2022
The Character RP Challenge​
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How it works:
A. Choose a fictional character.
B. Fill out these five essay questions about them:
a. How do they look? What is their signature color aesthetic? (ie the colors they wear, are on their body, or are associated with). (AESTHETIC TRAITS)
b. What defines their personality and basic preferences? (ie favorite animals, foods, music, etc) (PERSONALITY TRAITS)
c. What Pokémon types do you associate with them? You can only choose up to four. (TYPE TRAITS)
d. What abilities do they have that differ from other characters? (common species abilities that differ from humans
count). (ABILITY TRAITS)
e. What career do they have/would want to have? (CAREER TRAITS)
f. What do they do with their free time/What are their hobbies? (HOBBY TRAITS)
C. Every pokemon on your team must be related to one of the traits described. You must use more than two different traits in total.
D. Optionally, you may put additional challenge restrictions on yourself related to your character's traits and background.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules:
1. Run is considered completed after you have defeated the elite four and champion, unless it is a Johto game. If it is in Johto, then you must defeat Red as well to complete the run.
2. Exp Share, Amie, and refresh are allowed. This challenge is more for fun than difficulty.
3. Non-trait related HM slaves are allowed, but only two at most are allowed in your party at a time.
4. Be as faithful to your character as possible. If a trait is relatively irrelevant or minor, don't include or call on it.
5. Atleast one of your team must be obtained before the second gym. Hacking in early or impossible pokemon is only allowed if no reasonable or good choices are possible.
6. No legendaries.
7. Must have at least three different non HM slave Pokémon on your team.
8. An ultimate challenge requires doing this challenge with the character of your choice in every main region, from Kanto to Alola. You do not have to use the original game of that region's generation, as remakes are fine. Galar is optional, yet encouraged.
9. Trade evolution hacking allowed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

User:
Game(s):
Ultimate?: (Yes/No)
Story Mode?: (Yes/No)
Character Name:
What they are from: Series Name (Category)
Aesthetic Traits:
Personality Traits:
Type Traits:
Ability Traits:
Career Traits:
Hobby Traits:
Chosen Team (If not Story Mode):

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Progress Challenges:
Spoiler:

Hall of Fame:
Spoiler:

Ultimate Hall of Fame:
Spoiler:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Example sign up:

User: CelloX
Game(s): Pokemon Ultra Sun
Ultimate?: No
Story Mode?: No
Character Name: Sunny
What they are from: Omori (Game)
Aesthetic Traits: Black/White outfit.
Personality Traits: Likes (and acts like) cats, quiet, shy.
Type Traits: Psychic (Due to dream world and memory skills), Ghost (Due to trauma)
Ability Traits: Can play the violin, great memory, highly active imagination.
Career Traits: Unknown, possibly creative writing or art.
Chosen Team:
Incineroar: Love of cats.
Trevenant: Ghost (Certain spoilerish reasons as well).
Glalie: Black/White, "cold" quietness.
Noctowl: Night/Dreaming.
Komala: Night/Dreaming.
Mr Mime: Psychic/Quiet/Dreamlike.

EDIT: I just thought of something to make it a bit more RP-ish. A variant for this challenge: Story Mode.
The idea is you simply don't plan ahead of time for your team. You catch whatever pokemon you encounter that fit your character, replacing less fitting ones with more fitting ones as you go along. Another rule: you can only have up to 3 pokemon on your team up to the third gym (or a point of your choosing if there are no gyms in your game). After that, you can have up to five, but you must take a stricter look at which pokemon fit your character at that point, due to more variety at your disposal. Choose and replace pokemon based on what you think your character would do.

I believe this mode makes the game more dynamic and enjoyable, beyond just planning a team out and having to stick with it. It asks the question: "What pokemon would my character catch given their situation?"

I know, I am a very undecisive person, but I think I am going to switch my run to Story Mode, just because I have a small attention span and it will help. If you are doing a ultimate right now, you can change your next run to Story Mode if you want and it will still count for the ultimate.

Last edited:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
Well, let's give it a try.

User: Circus
Game(s): Red, Gold, Emerald, Platinum, Black, X, Sun
Ultimate?: Yes
Character Name: Taylor Hebert from Worm (Book / Webnovel)

Traits
Aesthetic: Blacks, grays and browns. Muted dark colors in general.
Personality: Shy, Paranoid, a bit broken and ruthless for its enemies. Believes she does what she does to protect herself and hers.
Type: Bug, Dark
Ability: Bug control, Boundless multitasking
Career: Super villain, Super hero
Hobby: Reading

Chosen Team (for Red):
- Beedrill (not the bees, oh my god, not the bees)
- Butterfree (not very effective, but they're PR friendly)
- Exeggutor (Brownish, and multiple heads -> multitasking)

Not mentioned above, but I'm guessing we can hack in Trade Evolutions? (or other otherwise impossible evolutions in general, like Glaceon in HG/SS)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 25, 2022
Not mentioned above, but I'm guessing we can hack in Trade Evolutions? (or other otherwise impossible evolutions in general, like Glaceon in HG/SS)

Just now edited rules to allow for this! Thank you for participating :)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Sep 16, 2021
User: Pumpkaboofan4life
Game(s):Shield Moon
Ultimate?: (No)
Character Name: Pinkie pie
What they are from: My little pony (Child cartoon)
Aesthetic Traits: Pink and blue
Personality Traits: energetic, Alligator, Homemade tutti-frutti sherbet sugar bark sundae cupcakes, polka music
Type Traits: Fairy, Normal, Flying, Rock
Ability Traits: 4th wall breaking, Can sense some future events, Hair ex machine.
Career Traits: Party planner
Hobby Traits: Anything fun.
Chosen Team: Totodile (Water, alligator, Blue), Carbink (Fairy, Pink, Rock), Slurpuff (Fairy, fav dessert), Absol (Sense future events), Alcremrie (Fairy, Party planner, fav dessert.), Alteria (Blue, Hair ex machine.), Rockruff (Energetic, Rock)
(Okay so seeing as Totodile isn't available, I will switch game from Shield to Moon and drop Alcremrie for Rockruff (Energetic)

Last edited:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
- Started the game as Taylor

- Picked Bulbasaur for the challenge

- Switched it in for a Caterpie (Ciara)

- Then I got a Weedle (Sting) and there we went.

- The good thing about bugs is that they evolve pretty fast, so I had Beedrill and Butterfree in no time flat.

- Swung back to Viridan to destroy Emma one more time.

- As soon as Ciara got Confusion we just stormed Brock.
Badges: 1/8

- After a nice jaunt through Mt. Moon we got to Cerulean City.

- Emma couldn't handle the Sleep Powder hax.

- Ciara dealt with Staryu while a couple of Twineedles destroyed Starmie.
Badges: 2/8

- Since I only have two Pokémon, I'm fairly ahead of the curve, which meant that beating Emma was once again pretty simple. So was Surge.

Badges: 3/8

Team:

Spr_1b_015.png

Sting the Beedrill - Level 29
- Fury Attack
- String Shot
- Twineedle
- Focus Energy

Spr_1b_012.png

Ciara the Butterfree - Level 28
- Tackle
- Sleep Powder
- Confusion
- Poison Powder

-----

- Liberal application of Sleep Powder made Lavender's Town Emma relatively easy.

- Fun Facts: Poison is weak to Bug in Gen I. Most Grass Types are Grass/Poison. Erika was easy.
Badges: 4/8

- Once again, I'm fairly ahead of the curve so beating the rockets at the Game Corner wasn't much of an issue. Nor was beating the rockets at the Pokémon Tower.

- Now, normally I'd do Saffron next, but I still need to get Exeggute which is Safari Zone exclusive, so let's go to Fuchsia next.

- I got Tohu the Exeggute and collected the HMs around Fuchsia.

- Tohu almost soloed Koga, only needing Ciara to deal like 10 HP of damage to his last mon.
Badges: 5/8

- I kept using Tohu to mop trainers to get her up to speed and she's actually leveling up pretty fast. Managed to beat Giovanni by itself.

- Sting just Twineedled Sabrina to death, lol.
Badges: 6/8

- Blaine on the other hand was a tough cookie. Between having comparable levels to me and Gen I Fire Spin, not even Gen I Sleep could save me. I needed to grind. Or maybe cheese even harder.

With an X Accuracy, none of my attack misses.
With one or two X Speed, I outspeed all of Blaine Pokemon.

Which means Tohu can always make anything sleep and attack with impunity since in Gen I, waking up takes up a turn.

I don't like using this strategy but sometimes it's needed. There's a non zero chance I'll need to do it for the Champion battle actually.

Badges: 7/8

- Giovanni was laughably easy as always
Badges: 8/8

- After that Emma was being challenging so I needed to grind. And since I was grinding better to grind for the whole E4 already.

After grinding Emma was still a bit annoying but nothing we couldn't handle.

- Lorelei was tricksy but eventually went down to sleep hax

- Bruno was trivial.

- I actually forgot to put Agatha in with how easy she was.

- So was Lance actually. A lot of things can't really take a Psychic to the face.

- As for final Emma ... he couldn't really handle Tohu after I set up.

Challenge end

Spr_1b_015.png

Sting the Beedrill - Level 65
- Swift
- String Shot
- Twineedle
- Swords Dance

I actually didn't use him in the last battles at all, but he did wonderfully during the game.

Spr_1b_012.png

Ciara the Butterfree - Level 66
- Tackle
- Sleep Powder
- Psybeam
- Poison Powder

Surprisingly dependable given Sleep Powder alone.

Spr_1b_103.png

Tohu the Exeggutor - Level 68
- Stomp
- Hypnosis
- Psychic
- Leech Seed

This was actually a pretty good set I stumbled upon. Hypnosis for that sweet sweet Gen I sleep, Psychic to smash pretty much anything that isn't a special wall, Stomp to deal with those that aren't and Leech Seed in case of stall.

This team was surprisingly fun to use.

Now, onwards to Johto! Which is a problem actually since a lot of Pokémon are gated behind Kanto which just makes for a boring experience.

In the end I decided on:

- Beedrill (bees never go out of style)
- Heracross (reminds me of Atlas, her pet giant beetle)
- Scizor (according to the Pokedex, it's slim, intimidating - like Tay Tay. Also, a bug)

Also, also, changing the game from Gold -> Soul Silver, since I just realized the only way to get Beedrill in Gold is via National Park, I don't want to use Butterfree again (I don't even want to use Beedrill again, I'm only using it because I really don't want to use Ariados and Gen IV has so much better movesets and TMs that it's probably the better idea, I guess.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 25, 2022
After a bit of thinking, I have decided to change my run. Ultra Sun is a bit of a slog to get through, so I am going to remake my own run into a shield run:

User: CelloX
Game(s): Shield
Story Mode?: Yes
Character Name: Sunny
What they are from: Omori (Game)
Aesthetic Traits: Black/White outfit.
Personality Traits: Likes (and acts like) cats, quiet, shy.
Type Traits: Psychic (Due to dream world and memory skills), Ghost (Due to trauma), Dark (Due to Trauma)
Ability Traits: Can play the violin, great memory, highly active imagination.
Career Traits: Unknown, possibly creative writing or art.
Team:
Meowstic (Cat, Psychic)
Claydol (Psychic, Color Scheme, Looks like Something)
Runerigus (Ghost, resembles red hands)
Shiinotic (Sleep/dream related)
Zoroark (Dark, similar to fox character)

Doing Story Mode variant, see main post edit for details.

Last edited:

H e a p.

Banned
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen May 23, 2022
I'm in! I'm rewriting this underrated series too.

User: Heap
Game(s): Ultra Moon
Character Name: Annaleise
What they are from: OC World (Wattpad Webnovel)
Aesthetic Traits: Blue? Light Red? Pink?
Personality Traits: Kind, Intellegent
Type Traits: Water/Ice (has water powers), Fairy/Psychic (can turn into a Water Goddess), Dragon (Turned into a lizard-like monster one time)
Ability Traits: Clever, reads books
Career Traits: Superhero
Hobby Traits: Reading (of course)
Chosen Team:
- Primarina (named it "Buddy", her dog)
- Comfey (because of Flower Rings on her head in Season 2 design)
- Kommo-o (as in, turning into a monster)
- Corsola (Guardian Water Goddess form)
- Alolan Ninetales (Water Goddess form)
- Midnight Lycanroc (Kolin because his power is darkness. How edgy.)

(Also, Sylvia (one of the antagonists) is depicted like Lusamine, that's why.)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 25, 2022
Updated the main post and added a new variant to this challenge called Story Mode. See main post for details.

Back