• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge v8, Tera Edition

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years

jk65dhy.png

Original thread created by myrrhman
Second thread created by Alakazam17
Third thread created by Necrum
Fourth thread created by Necrum
Fifth thread created by Volga
Sixth thread created by KingSwing
Previous thread created by The Undisputed Era and edited by Duck
Currently under editing ownership by Explorer of Time
Title graphic by Fairy

Welcome to the eighth edition of the Monotype Challenge, one of the oldest and most popular Pokémon challenges, now with rules updated for Tera Types and Pokemon Scarlet and Violet! Since The Undisputed Era is no longer active on these forums, I will take care of updating the Challengers and Hall of Fame listings from now on.

Core Rules

1. You may only use Pokémon of your chosen type, or that evolve into your chosen type, in trainer battles.
  2. You may still catch Pokémon not of your type for non-battle-related purposes, such as breeding, HMs, field moves, in-game trades, Pickup items, Contests, or Pokédex completion. If one of these Pokémon is forced to be sent out into battle, you must immediately switch it out, or let it faint if you can't switch out.
  3. Multiple Pokémon of the same species are allowed.
  4. Your challenge starts when you first obtain a Pokémon of your type, or Pokémon that evolves into your type. If your first available Pokémon is available before the first gym, you must catch it before the first gym. If it isn't available until later you must catch it at the earliest possible opportunity.
  5. Two challenges do not stack, e.g.: only using Grass/Poison Pokémon will not count for both a Grass and Poison Monotype.
  6. All Pokémon you use that aren't of your chosen type (e.g. Charmander in a Flying run) must evolve into that type as soon as possible. The only exception is Nincada, which, in a mono-Ghost run, may be prevented from evolving into Shedinja until the player has a non-Shedinja Ghost-type.
  7. You must use at least two Elite Four viable Pokémon in the final battle.
  8. You may use Mega Evolution, Z-Moves, and Dynamax.
  9. You may use a Pokemon that does not have your chosen type before a Mega Evolution, but does afterwards. However, in such a case, you must Mega Evolve it in every single battle it takes part in as soon as you get its Mega Stone, and must obtain the Mega Stone in question as soon as possible. If this Mega Stone is unavailable until the postgame, you may not use the Pokemon until you obtain it's Mega Stone, including via trading or hacking.
  10. You may use Pokemon with abilities that cause them to lose your chosen type. If you use a Pokémon that changes type based on its held item, you must equip it with a held item that changes it to your chosen type as soon as possible.
  11. A Pokemon that changes forms in battle counts as its out-of-battle form for all type requirements.
  12. In rom hacks and fan games, the in-game content decides what has a given type, so double check the game's documentation to make sure a Pokémon may be used. (E.g.: if a hack changed Flygon from Ground / Dragon to Bug / Dragon, you wouldn't be able to use Flygon for a Ground run in that hack)
  13. If your team does not have any move that damages an enemy Pokémon, you may trade or hack in another unevolved Pokémon of your type that can learn a move that can hit it. (e.g. if playing mono-Psychic Ruby or Sapphire, you may trade or hack in another unevolved Psychic-type to hit Dark-types, since Ralts can't learn a move that can hit Dark until the Thief TM is obtained in Slateport.) If you can't, you may delay the start of your challenge until you have a move that can do damage.
  14. You may use Rental Pokemon not of your type in situations where you aren't allowed to use your own team. (e.g. the Battle Factory)
  15. Any run started under a previous iteration of the Monotype Challenge may be conducted under the most lenient of the two versions of the rules. They will automatically be treated as Standard Mode for Hall of Fame purposes unless you choose to enter Free Mode to do something you couldn't under either the original rules or the current Standard Mode rules.
  16. Pick either the Standard Mode or Free Mode rules below, and follow one of them.
  17. You may, at any time, choose to convert a Standard Mode run into a Free Mode run at the beginning of an update. You may only convert a run from Free Mode to Standard Mode if you have not yet broken any Standard Mode rules. (If converted to Free Mode in a postgame update, preexisting Hall of Fame entries will not be marked as Free Mode)
  18. You may add any number of additional restrictions of your choice to your own challenge, but only compliance with the monotype rules will be tracked in this thread. You may apply a run to both this thread and other challenge threads so long as you follow all the rules of both threads.

Eligible Games

(If you're playing an official mainline game, you don't need to read this section)
Spoiler:

Standard Mode Rules

(If you're playing Free Mode, you don't need to read this section)
Spoiler:

Standard Mode Starter Trading/Hacking Rules

(If you're playing Free Mode, or if you can't or don't want to trade or hack in a starter, you don't need to read this section)
Spoiler:

Free Mode Rules

(If you're playing Standard Mode, you don't need to read this section)
Spoiler:

Legendary Rules

(If you don't plan to use any legendaries, mythicals, ultra beasts, or Ash-Greninja, you don't need to read this section)
Spoiler:

Trading and Hacking

(If you can't or don't want to hack or trade, you don't need to read this section)
Spoiler:

Challenge Types

There are four different challenge types, the default Single Challenge, and the multi-run Ultimate, Type Mastery, and Game Mastery Challenges, all described below. You may, at any time, abandon a multi-run challenge, and upon being notified, I'll move any completed runs into the Single Challenge section of the Hall of Fame.

The Single Challenge

The most common challenge done on this forum, the Single Challenge is accomplished by completing a single monotype run in a single game. This is the default challenge type and has no special rules.

The Ultimate Challenge

An Ultimate Challenge is accomplished by successfully completing a run of a given type in Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos, and Alola.

Spoiler: Detailed Rules

The Type Mastery Challenge

A Type Mastery Challenge is accomplished by completing eighteen monotype runs, one of every type in the official Pokémon games.

The Game Mastery Challenge

A Game Mastery Challenge is accomplished by completing a run of every type in a single game.

Endpoints

For the main series games, we consider the game beat when the credits start rolling for the first time.

For rom hacks and fan games, it's up to you, but beating the Champion, Elite Four or seeing a credit roll is probably a good enough rule of thumb.

And if you want an extra challenge, you don't have to stop there! Here are some suggestions you might find interesting:
Spoiler:

If you think you have a competitive-level monotype team, still want to use it after completing the challenge, and want to try something really difficult, try fighting your game's Battle Facilities, if any. Or, if you're playing Gen 1 through 4, import your team to Stadium, Stadium 2, Colosseum, or Battle Revolution. If you beat one of these, I'll mark it on your hall of fame!

Sign-up

Please read the rules carefully and then include the following form in a post.
Code:
User:
Type:
Game(s):
Challenge Type:
Standard Mode / Free Mode:

Last edited:

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years

Rules for Specific Official Games

(Bolded rules are only relevant to Standard Mode players. Italicized rules are only relevant to Free Mode players, unless you really want to catch an unusable legendary for bragging rights.)
Spoiler:

Rules for Romhacks and Fangames

Randomizers - Additional Rules
Spoiler:

All Fangames/Romhacks with Difficulty Settings - Additional Rule
Spoiler:

Specific Romhacks and Fangames
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years

Challengers

Singles:
Spoiler:

Ultimate:
Spoiler:

Type Mastery:
Spoiler:

Game Mastery:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years

Hall of Fame

Singles:
Spoiler:

Ultimate:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
Changelog:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

8.4.0: Various layout changes, mostly placing more stuff in spoiler tags to take up less space and moving the Legendary-related rules to a new section, but the only rules change is to make romhacks and fangames that alter the type chart (i.e. Inverse Battle hacks) ineligible for the Type Mastery Challenge.
8.4.1: Added in rules for the mandatory legendary captures in BW and XY, and noted that SV requires the player to defeat their Professor after the league.
8.4.2: Specified what counts as the first gym in the Alola and Orre games, and added a rule allowing trading or hacking in starters if the player wants to start with one that's catchable before the first gym, but isn't the very first Pokemon you get. Also added game-specific rules about Cascoon in Hoenn mono-Poison runs and a trading and hacking section rule regarding Wurmple's personality value.
8.4.3: Added a game-specific rule forbidding the player from catching level 70 Pokemon in The Indigo Disk's Terrarium until the player has beaten the final boss of the base game or a BB League E4 member.
8.4.3.1: Reformatted the margins to make the rules more readable and added new rules pertaining to trading/hacking in starters in BW1 for types that can't get two Pokemon for Route 3's mandatory double battle.
8.4.4: Added game-specific rules for trading/hacking in pokemon temporarily to catch legendaries that require other games' version exclusives and/or unobtainable Regis. Most of these are only relevant to Free Mode players or postgames, with the exception of Regigigas in SwSh. Also added in an exemption for people unable to access SV's Blueberry Group Quests so they can catch Pokemon locked behind it, whether via trading or hacking in Treats.
8.4.4.1: Reorganized the rules by moving the starter trading/hacking rules for Standard Mode into their own section, and bolded or italicized game-specific rules only relevant on one mode.
8.4.5: Fixed an oversight regarding Pokemon that gain a type via Mega Evolution being obtained before their Mega Stone, so that they're now stated to be usable as they should be, so long as their Mega Stone is obtained before the postgame, including via trading or hacking the Mega Stone. Also added a Game-specific rule to Gen 7 to disallow these until the postgame since Mega Evolution isn't possible until the postgame even with a Mega Stone. Moved a couple Mega Evolution-related rules that were the same in both Standard and Free Mode into the Core Rules. Also turned the Oricorio Nectar trade/hack rule into a general rule for any item that changes types, with all such items for official Pokemon being listed in the rule.

Last edited:

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
User: Explorer of Time
Type: Psychic
Game(s): Ruby Cross
Single / Ultimate: Single
Standard Mode / Free Mode: Standard Mode

And finally, to start the thread! I'll be playing a QoL hack of Ruby called Ruby Cross, which adds several QOL features. The only ones relevant to gameplay, however, are that it adds reusable TMs, allows non-Legendary Sapphire version exclusives to be caught (though I do not plan to use Lunatone), allows trade evolutions to be evolved without trading, and allows HM moves to be deleted without the Move Deleter.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
Years
Question! Do those who are already in the middle of a run have to sign up again specifying if they're running Standard or Free Mode?

I'm doing a Mono-Fairy run of Xenoverse as you know, and I've been pondering...
Spoiler:

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
Question! Do those who are already in the middle of a run have to sign up again specifying if they're running Standard or Free Mode?

I'm doing a Mono-Fairy run of Xenoverse as you know, and I've been pondering...
Spoiler:

As in rule 10 of the core rules, use the more lenient of my ruleset or the second thread's ruleset for any possible rule. Your run will be still be considered Standard Mode unless you plan to use the Pokemon listed under your spoiler. If you choose to use it, as the previous ruleset did not allow Legendary Pokemon either, your run will be converted to Free Mode and marked as such on your challenge/hall of fame. (Unless you've already fought a trainer that uses a Legendary, then it's still Standard Mode. I don't know what Xenoverse's balancing is like, but it sounds like it expects you to have that Pokemon and will up the difficulty accordingly, and hacks/fangames like that are what the clause is for.)

I'll update the OP with rules for converting from Standard Mode to Free Mode.

Last edited:

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
Years
As in rule 10 of the core rules, use the more lenient of my ruleset or the second thread's ruleset for any possible rule. Your run will be considered Standard Mode unless you plan to use
Spoiler:
. If you choose to use it, as the previous ruleset did not allow Legendary Pokemon either, your run will be converted to Free Mode and marked as such on your challenge/hall of fame. I'll update the OP with rules for converting from Standard Mode to Free Mode.

Thank you for the quick answer! I'll ponder upon it before the next update...
Spoiler:

Could it also be possible to dedicate a small section to rules for specific fan games? I can adapt the ones I wrote for Xenoverse in the previous thread to the current rulesets, and maybe other people who choose to do other fan games (as in, those which aren't enhancement hacks of official games - Xeno, Uranium, Unbound, Insurgence, Reborn, Rejuvenation, etc.) can add theirs later.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
Could it also be possible to dedicate a small section to rules for specific fan games? I can adapt the ones I wrote for Xenoverse in the previous thread to the current rulesets, and maybe other people who choose to do other fan games (as in, those which aren't enhancement hacks of official games - Xeno, Uranium, Unbound, Insurgence, Reborn, Rejuvenation, etc.) can add theirs later.

Absolutely! I'll need advice from people who have played those games, if I haven't played them myself, but I'll be playing close attention to this thread and I will take suggestions.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
Years
Pokémon Xenoverse - Additional Rules and Specifications for Monotype Runs

1. The Starter Pokémon - Part I
During the main game, keeping the Starter Pokémon (Shyleon, Trishout or Shulong) in the party is mandatory for story progression. If you want to play the game as intended by its creators, it is highly recommended that you run on Free Mode (see Part II as to why) and center your run around any of the types they cover - that is, Grass, Fairy, Fire, Sound, Water or Dragon - so that you can include them in your party.

Should you choose to run with any other type, or choose not to use them in your team (e.g. in a Standard Mode run), the Starter can remain in the party, gain experience if you are playing on Modern Mode/with the Exp. Share on, and be sent out whenever the story requires it (e.g. during the Tag Battle against A and B at the Newtron Library), but must be kept out of battling duties otherwise, especially after you have access to a Pokémon of your chosen type.

2. The X Pokémon
Given that the X Pokémon function much like regional variants once caught, you may catch any of them as long as you are allowed to and as long as they match your chosen type. It is recommended that you farm them around the region, however; check guides as to where and how to encounter them.

3. Abraham's Scaleon
If you have less than six Pokémon during the battle against your Blue Energy-possessed Starter, before the 4th Gym, Cardinal Abraham will lend you his Scaleon to help you out. You may only send it out to battle if - and only if - you're on a Mono-Dragon run. Otherwise, ignore it.

4. The Starter Pokémon - Part II (Spoilers)
Spoiler:

5. Endpoint
The goal, as stated in the Core Rules and as seen in most official games and fan games, is beating the Champion...
Spoiler:

6. Extra Goal
Since the post-game Furious Battles are kind of impractical to do on a challenge run, the extra goal for this game would be to fulfill the conditions to unlock them, as follows:
Spoiler:

Any future rules and/or specifications will be added to this post. Per Aspera Ad Astra!

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
Years
Pokémon Xenoverse (FREE MODE)
Mono-Fairy - Fallen Star Mintaka
Update 4 (Gravity Tunnel - Westar City)

Team:
-Shyleon Xenoversal Form (Pascal), level 52
-Granbull (Diana), level 54
-Grudako (Ranmaru), level 53
-Fatail (Aniceto), level 53
-Mimikyu (El Mimi), level 36

As stated above, I have decided to set this run to Free Mode because I already failed to comply with the rules of Standard Mode (re: Camouflage) and because I want to have the ability to decide whether I'll bring Shyleon with me beyond the final boss battle.

I'd rather not talk much about the plot in this segment. I absolutely hate this part of the game and most of the events that happen within it, so let's just sum it up to:
-Pascal got his Xenoversal Form, got corrupted by Blue Energy and temporarily left, came back, and I almost kicked him out of the team of my own volition because I couldn't even look at him. I had this crisis with the other two starters in previous playthroughs, but this is by far the worst.
-Eventually I reached some kind of conciliation with him, however. If he helped me defeat the ones responsible for his transformation, I would let him stay. Ergo, he promptly helped me earn my fourth badge, and returned to the fold.
-We reached Westar City and kicked G.E.I.S.T. out of Wild Bull Saloon - because really, in a story where the protagonist is dead to begin with, they're the villains. Then, after much running, we welcomed a new member into the team - El Mimi the Mimikyu! I have to confess I almost abandoned my run because I couldn't find a single Mimikyu, but then he walked in and everything was alright. That was a bit exaggerated because I'd like to imagine he was always with me, just not battle-ready - just like a certain motorcycle dragon in a recent official Pokémon game. Either way, what a sweet good baby he is!

Now we're off to challenge Sheriff Caspar for my fifth badge! I know I'm much more into the college sweetheart Ginger now, but I'd be lying if I said I don't have a thing for the handsome old Sheriff still. He was the very reason I gave Xenoverse a try. I don't know where I'd be without him, and like with Ginger, it's a shame he won't pop up again until post-game. Why do I have to see a lot more of the Ass-ter of my ex-husbando and less of my current husbandos? :C

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
Pokémon Ruby Cross (Standard Mode)
Mono-Psychic - Stargazer Astrid
Update 1 (Littleroot Town -> Rustboro Gym)

My first update in the new thread!

Since I'm doing a mono-Psychic run of Ruby, the only Psychic-type prior to the first gym is Ralts. Unfortunately, it cannot hurt the Team Magma Grunt's Poochyena with any move it learns via level-up, and can't learn a non-Psychic attack move until I get to Slateport. Given the standard mode rules, I could trade* in a Beldum, the only non-Legendary Pokemon in my regional dex which isn't available until the postgame. (My other option, the Sapphire-exclusive Lunatone, is technically available in this hack.)

Beldum gets tired very easily, with it only knowing a single move that does recoil damage, but its Steel typing gives it a large defensive advantage early on. Ralts is pretty strong offensively, but can't take a lot of hits. He does know Double Team, though, which means that if I can set it up he won't get hit much. Ralts actually soloed the battle against Roxanne, by using Growl to take down Geodude's attack to the minimum, then using Double Team to max out evasion, then fainting it with several Confusions, then Growling at Nosepass six times and fainting that with confusion too.

*This romhack isn't trade-compatible with PKHeX, but it is trade-compatible with the vanilla games, so I genned in a Beldum with a random nature and IVs, gave it an OT/TID/SID matching mine to stop it from getting an experience boost, and traded it for a random Wurmple.

Team

beldum.png
Beldum (⚥) | Psychic/Steel | Level 11
Moves: Take Down, (Empty Slot), (Empty Slot), (Empty Slot)
32 HP / 19 Atk / 24 Def / 14 SpA / 18 SpD / 13 Spe
Ability: Clear Body | Nature: Rash | Item: Quick Claw

ralts.png
Ralts (♂) | Psychic | Level 13
Moves: Confusion, Growl, Double Team, (Empty Slot)
33 HP / 12 Atk / 14 Def / 16 SpA / 15 SpD / 19 Spe
Ability: Synchronize | Nature: Jolly | Item: Oran Berry

Last edited:

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
Pokémon Ruby Cross (Standard Mode)
Mono-Psychic - Stargazer Astrid
Update 2 (Rusturf Tunnel -> Granite Cave)

It's my second update, but it's a short one. I went down to Rusturf Tunnel, beat the Team Magma Grunt with my Beldum, then explored a few areas with Cut. Then, I went down to Dewford Town. The locals, funnily enough, had "Lukewarm Event" as their randomly-generated trend. I decided to keep it as-is for now. I taught my Ralts Flash, since Ruby Cross allows Pokemon to forget HM moves without the Move Deleter, but otherwise I haven't had anyone level up enough to get a new move. I beat Brawly with my Ralts, this time using Confusion most of the time because of the type advantage. I used three Potions during the battle to heal up, and I used Growl once or twice to stop Bulk Up from getting too strong. When I went to Granite Cave, I caught an Abra. It's useless to me now, but I'll get TMs for it in Slateport very soon. I don't plan to keep it on my final team, since I don't want a second Pokemon without a secondary type, but it will stay on for quite a while.

Team

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen today
Question since I'm new to the forum: What counts as a "lost run" in this situation? Clearly, this isn't a nuzlocke where Pokémon "die" when they faint, but before I joined the forum today, I'd been doing a Ground-type only run on Pokémon Sapphire Version, and I lost to Gym Leader Wallace by a hair (his Molitic had a sliver of health), so I had to reload. If this was under these rules, would that have counted as losing the run, or would I be allowed to reload, or would I need to accept the loss of money and continue from the "white out"?

Back