• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen 3DS Exclusive - RIP Pokemon?

SLITCX

Spontaneous Water Lover
Years
I'm pretty sure that Gamestop will be offering the DS trade-in for the 3DS as well for a lower price, which I will partake in when Pokemon X and Y are released.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2013
We all knew this was coming, we knew that at sometime we would have to buy a 3DS at some point. I mean the 3DS already had a price drop (just shortly after I bought mine :(... ) We've had close to 2 years to pick one up and you STILL have until October to save up for one. I mean come on, Let it go.

The DS had it's time and had an awesome run, but it's time to retire it.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I can't say that I was surprised at all. It was bound to happen and for how long will they keep stretching on releasing Pokemon games for the Nintendo 3D. It was obviously bound to happen.

So am I disappointing? Disappointed as in, me having to buy a 3DS, yes. Since I gotta waste around 169$ to get one.
But disappointed that the game will be on 3DS? No. I think it's a wise choice.

droomph

weeb
Years
And as I'm sure they've already said, GF had a chance to test it out, with the "enhanced capabilities" BW2 had for the 3DS, i'm sure it's not that hard to use a "page hits" kinda thing every time you used one of those features.

And seeing as they are making this for the 3DS, I'm sure it was a successssss.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2013
I can't say that I was surprised at all. It was bound to happen and for how long will they keep stretching on releasing Pokemon games for the Nintendo 3D. It was obviously bound to happen.

So am I disappointing? Disappointed as in, me having to buy a 3DS, yes. Since I gotta waste around 169$ to get one.
But disappointed that the game will be on 3DS? No. I think it's a wise choice.

Hey, don't complain. I had to pay $250 for mine... Granted the Ambassador program was nice, but still.

droomph

weeb
Years
Hey, don't complain. I had to pay $250 for mine... Granted the Ambassador program was nice, but still.

I'm sure that's part of why they waited so long.

The DS when I bought Diamond (a year late, mind you) was $150, and with the game it was $170.

And now, disregarding inflation and all that, the consoles are around $170 and the games $40. I'm sure that's why they waited so long - marketability. No kid's shelling out $300 for a game that they'll play for a week - even though $210 is still a lot, it's a long shot towards being more affordable.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2013
I'm sure that's part of why they waited so long.

The DS when I bought Diamond (a year late, mind you) was $150, and with the game it was $170.

And now, disregarding inflation and all that, the consoles are around $170 and the games $40. I'm sure that's why they waited so long - marketability. No kid's shelling out $300 for a game that they'll play for a week - even though $210 is still a lot, it's a long shot towards being more affordable.

Yeah, but that was when it first came out, it got it's price drop very shortly after, hence they made the ambassador program for those early adopters. $169 is a hell of a good price. There is no reason not to get one now, especially with the XL. That's why I don't understand why there are still people right now that are acting surprised they will have to upgrade.

Great price, better hardware, and a decent number of good games available for it right now. Come on, what more do you want?

droomph

weeb
Years
Yeah, but that was when it first came out, it got it's price drop very shortly after, hence they mad ethe ambassador program. $169 is a hell of a good price, there is no reason not to get one now, especially with the XL, That's why I don't understand why there are still people right now that are acting surprised they will have to upgrade.

Great price, better hardware, and a decent number of good games available for it right now. Come on, what more do you want?
That's my point, though.

Old habits die hard, I guess.

Cinnabar

Fenniken is godly.
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
I've always bought a desired console the day it came out, so I have no problem with it, but yes, I could see why people would get upset over this, but in Nintendo's defense, it has been out for almost 2 years.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
I've always bought a desired console the day it came out, so I have no problem with it, but yes, I could see why people would get upset over this, but in Nintendo's defense, it has been out for almost 2 years.

...and several months shy of 3 by the time the games are out on top of that.

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
Years
My brother is buying a 3DS entirely because the new Pokemon X and Y are going to be on it.

I don't think it will lose any audience. It's true a lot of people can't afford the 3DS right now, the the used ones will keep getting cheaper and cheaper and people will buy them eventually.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
My brother is buying a 3DS entirely because the new Pokemon X and Y are going to be on it.

I don't think it will lose any audience. It's true a lot of people can't afford the 3DS right now, the the used ones will keep getting cheaper and cheaper and people will buy them eventually.

That's the whole reason I'm getting a 3DS. The rest is just icing on the cake.

Years
Although I think the games will have a major impact on the general series, I do agree in essence with the idea that a fully 3D Pomemon world on a new handheld console would be successful. I haven't used my DS since 2011, and only recently have for a Pokemon Emerald replay. I'm anticipating the release and I am looking forward to seeing more news as it comes along.

Guy

just a guy
Years
With nine months before the games are released, there's plenty of time for people who can't purchase a 3DS now to buy it at some time down the road before the games are out. Besides the point, there's no deadline that says the only chance you have at buying the games are on release day.

The sheer fact that these games are the first main title Pokémon games in 3D and on the 3DS will rise interest and likely boost sales of the 3DS as many have already said. I, myself, already mentioned that I'm finally going to buy a 3DS just to get these games.

Years
  • Age 31
  • IL
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
For me they will lose tons of sales from this, A massive majority of sales for BW2 came from the standard DS buyers rather than 3DS users.
Lose tons of sales? Erryone and their mother has a 3DS now. Just look at the recent JP and US sales.

SO in my opinion pokemon will be laid to rest this year
"Pokemon is on the GBA!, It's finished!"
"Pokemon is now on the DS, It's finished"
etc.. etc...

but that still doesn't excuse the fact they just took a massive crap on standard DS users such as myself.

Why do you want the series to be held back by keeping the series on 7 year old handheld? If anything, this shows how much lack of dedication you have to the franchise.

"muh entitlement for a pogeymang game on 7 year old console."

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
For me they will lose tons of sales from this, A massive majority of sales for BW2 came from the standard DS buyers rather than 3DS users. SO in my opinion pokemon will be laid to rest this year, not everyone can afford a 3DS, I know they moved it to the 3ds so that they could make the graphics better and stuff but that still doesn't excuse the fact they just took a massive crap on standard DS users such as myself.

You obviously are not familiar with buying Nintendo Products. They have been doing this for 20 somewhat years. Anyone who knows their company knows as soon as they put a new system out, you have to get it. They usually switch to the new systems within a few months after the release. The DS was a much slower transfer, but "taking a crap on you" when they were transitioning people like you into the 3DS for 2 years is far from the truth.

They actually aren't going to lose any business at all. Sales for the 3DS are steadily increasing and they are supplying less and less of both the older consoles and older games. Many fans of specific series wait until their "want" games are released before getting the consoles. A lot got the 3Ds when Zelda came out. More still when Mario came out. The final push will be with Pokemon unless some other major title appears out of the blue. There are a lot of Pokemon Fans that are getting 3DS now.

I told a few parents about the new games already. They looked up what I told them to see if it were true and came in the next day to buy their kids some 3DS' without the kids even asking for them. Most of my friends have already traded in their DSi's for 3DS' now that the new Pokemon news is out. This is how Nintendo has always worked. This is how they will always work because their fans know how they operate and move with the times.

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
I bought a 3DS because I knew Pokemon would move onto that platform eventually. Also I didn't have a working DS so I decided to get a 3DS so I could even use the Dream Radar. I knew my parents wouldn't get me one so I got a job so I'd be able to get the 3DS XL by the time B2W2 came out. Pokemon is the only game I play. We got Wii last yeah but prior to that I played nothing else. Besides the Wii games are more on the fitness side, I have to video games on that, besides Mario and something else which I never play. SO Pokemon is all I play and I'd be willing, and clearly have, to but a new console to play it on. That's handheld only by the way, unless a home console story is amazing. I just don't like home consoles, they feel time consuming.

Victini

There is great success for the 3DS right now in terms of games.

They've picked up their slack from the first year of release for the 3DS and towards the middle of 2012 they began to release all of the 3DS games they promised a year ago. Now they are out with even more popular games over in Japan, like Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon for the 3DS. The momentum for switching to the 3DS for Nintendo consumers is just beginning, really.

Pokemon X and Y versions are just going to further that roll even further. By no means do I believe that the transition to the 3DS is going to 'end Pokemon'. The 3DS's price now (brand new) is the same as the DS lite's was upon release. Nobody really had any issues getting a hold of those from what I saw. The same goes for the DSi, and that system lost it's ability to play GBA games.

The 3DS can still play DS games alongside it's exclusive games. That alone is enough to help keep it up along the transition being done.

Pokemon X and Y versions are only going to assist this change even further. Just like how Pokemon games have always assisted us into transferring to new systems in the past. And let's be honest here guys, Pokemon is far more popular over there in Japan. No matter what system it's on, I don't think it'll matter. They will find a way to get it just like they always have. So if everyone else is really having that much trouble with this transition (which would boggle me since it never was an issue in the past), then I'm pretty sure Japan's gonna pick up that slack.

It's a sign of the times, maaan. Just gotta roll with it.~

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Really, I can't believe that there are people who still think the games should've been on the Ds...that system is dead already guys. All big title games for that system are gone. Be glad B2W2 were on the DS at least, Iwata wanted them to be on the 3DS but GF wanted to end the generation on the same system.

Lostworld

cosmic castaway
Years
The 3DS is reasonably priced in NZ and I see no reason not to get one now. I see the DS Lite, what I currently have, as outdated as hell now though it's still going strongly and can't wait for a new console. I'm glad they didn't release the new games on DS as it's about time the franchise moves forward in this direction. We have nine months to save up for it guys - well that's my plan anyway!

Back