• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokemon Pyrite

Years
First, congratulations for making this difficult hack (I've just got my last Johto badge with a level 65 team). But something irkes me.

I've read in an earlier post that the Flamethrower/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt move tutor is unlocked when you have 7 badges. However, I've looked through Goldenrod City during Wednesdays and Saturdays to no avail. Did you change his location, the days he appears, or even both?

I think it may appear with 8 badges instead of 7. I think 7 was the required amount for the lady that sells tms inside the game corner to appear. The location wasn't changed, and I might be wrong but I don't recall changing the days when he appears either.

So I just made ano account to post on here but I LOVE Pyrite. it's my new all time favorite game. You took a game I grew up with and made it grow up with me. I appreciate all the work you put into this hack. I love the set battle style. no items during battle. the wild location changes and variety early on. the level cap. the held items and how thief works I love everything about it. If there's any way you could put this on a cartridge I would definitely buy it. seriously. can you put it on a cartridge? anyway I'm done ranting but thanks for making this.

^I have the same feeling. This is not only the best Pokemon game I've played, but the best Japanese rpg experience. Thanks for a wonderful, meticulously crafted experience. You have done a great service to humanity.

Oh wow, I'm glad you guys liked it so much! Feedback like this is the best reward I could ask for. Thank you!

It would be nice to see all the new shiny colors before dedicating yourself to catching or hatching one

Alright, i'll try to put up a video later today showing all the shiny sprites.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 26, 2018
I just beat Blue at Viridian to collect my 8th badge. Where should I head next? I found Mt. Silver, but just wanting to not miss any major areas. I don't think I've done Whirlpool or Seafoam Islands.

Edit: just beat Red. Thought I would post some quick reflections.
> Mintberry and Przcureberries were a ton of fun, very effective in Gym battles. It was great getting two berries per tree in Pyrite. Rest-Mintberry was a great combo.
> I felt that Sing/sleep-inducing moves were overpoweringly strong. But I totally get wanting to keep the spirit of the original gameplay.
> Not sure if it was my party, but compared to the challenge of many Gyms I felt Silver was a bit easy.
> As in the original game, the pacing dropped off in the Kanto region, with the game becoming a Gym grind (albeit still fun).

Thankyou for an excellent rpg experience. I'm looking for similar mods to Pyrite, that mostly keep the original game in-tact while adjusting the difficulty and ai strategy. I would appreciate any recommendations.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 7, 2016
Game randomly resets when attempting the put the Cleanse Tag in the PC

shubham2207

Lone Wolf
Years
Help, I cannot catch wild pokemon.! dunno why?
I was able to catch them before but now i cannot..
It says "ITEMS CANNOT BE USED NOW"
Currently I am in Ecruteak City

EDIT :- NVM I reset the game and Its working. Dunno why that happened.. I couldn't catch a Shiny Hoothoot cuz of that :(

Last edited:

[email protected]

Ladies love cool Leg
Years
  • Seen May 19, 2021
Spoiler:

Seems Scizor doesn't learn Agility at level 50 as according to evos_attacks.asm, but Scyther does. Is that one intentional?

Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2016
Hi Crystal,

I am trying to play this hack, but I am unable to get the emulators to run properly.

Before I detail the issues, I want to say that the IPS seemed to patch the game just fine.

1) Visual Boy Advance - the screen window is microscopic and I can't expand the window manually or in-game. The game does say "Pokemon Pyrite" on startup.
2) VBA-M - the game immediately displays an error regarding save states, and then it reverts to Pokemon Crystal. This I don't understand, for the life of me. How on earth could a patched game "become" the old original game? Doesn't that seem impossible?
3) GBC Emulator - this one works functionally, but there's nothing I can do to increase the speed of the game. I can't stand the slow battle animations etc, and without the ability to hit "spacebar" to speed up stuff, I grow wearied by pokemon games and can't bear to play them.

I'm really curious about the problems with VBA-M.

I'm running Windows 10 on a relatively new desktop computer. Can you or someone else help me?

Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2016
Hey, so I actually found an emulator that worked. It took 3 different ones, but I finally did it!

I do have a question - are there any other hacks out there of other pokemon games that tweak difficulty in the same way you do (no leaving gyms, no potions mid-combat, no knowing what pokemon your opponent is bringing in before you do, AI improvements, etc)? I'm annoyed that others believe that merely increasing everything's level constitutes "increased difficulty" (rather, it constitutes an increase in grinding). I love the way you approach game difficulty. What other hacks out there do the same as you?!

Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2016
One last question: Is it easy to patch your hack onto another hack that has updated the graphics of Crystal? I just tried applying your patch to the Liquid Crystal hack to no success. I would definitely like the graphics to be at least one generation forward, but I don't know how to do it. Thanks!

Years
I don't know of any other game with features like the gyms, items, and level cap like pyrite, and I don't think there's any with all of them. This can't be patched to Liquid Crystal because they are made off different rombases and meant for different consoles. It's like trying to play Pokemon Go on your Gameboy color.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 22, 2018
I think it may appear with 8 badges instead of 7. I think 7 was the required amount for the lady that sells tms inside the game corner to appear. The location wasn't changed, and I might be wrong but I don't recall changing the days when he appears either.

i am p sure when i checked that in my first run (last summer right in the release version) was after beating the elite 4, you may changed in more recents version but afaik still that way, just saying.

edit:

checkevent EVENT_BEAT_ELITE_FOUR
iffalse .finish
checkitem COIN_CASE
iffalse .move_tutor_inside
checkcode VAR_WEEKDAY
if_equal WEDNESDAY, .move_tutor_outside
if_equal SATURDAY, .move_tutor_outside
.move_tutor_inside
appear GOLDENRODGAMECORNER_POKEFAN_M3
return
i checked your github and it is (or was in initial version)

Last edited:

Roger Davis

Goofball
Years
So I have seven badges and I've had a lot of fun so far. I'm currently training in whirl islands and trying to get a balanced team before I go for the Goldenrod Takeover. I have a question about the wild Pokemon, if it's okay for me to ask about that.

Spoiler:

Thanks for your time! I've had a real blast playing this and it's been challenging but not to the point of me being frustrated.

Years
i am p sure when i checked that in my first run (last summer right in the release version) was after beating the elite 4, you may changed in more recents version but afaik still that way, just saying.

edit:

i checked your github and it is (or was in initial version)

This hack isn't in github, only the level up/evolution data is. Everything else you checked is just the original crystal.

So I have seven badges and I've had a lot of fun so far. I'm currently training in whirl islands and trying to get a balanced team before I go for the Goldenrod Takeover. I have a question about the wild Pokemon, if it's okay for me to ask about that.

Spoiler:

Thanks for your time! I've had a real blast playing this and it's been challenging but not to the point of me being frustrated.

By walking, only in the chamber with the big waterfall (the one before you enter the lugia's chamber). 5% chance, any time of the day.

Roger Davis

Goofball
Years
Thanks for your help! I beat the Elite 4 and now I'm in Kanto. I'm up to Vermillion. One thing I should note though, so far none of the Kanto leaders have stated the level cap like the Johto ones did. Is that intentional? I mean my team is in the 80s now anyway, but I was just curious.

Spoiler:

Also, in Route 19 (below Fuschia) the guard says the explosion from the volcano blocked off Route 19 indefinitely. Shouldn't that be changed to Route 21, since Cinnebar is blocked from Pallet now instead?

Last edited:
Years
Thanks for your help! I beat the Elite 4 and now I'm in Kanto. I'm up to Vermillion. One thing I should note though, so far none of the Kanto leaders have stated the level cap like the Johto ones did. Is that intentional? I mean my team is in the 80s now anyway, but I was just curious.

Yeah only leaders in Johto tell you the exact level, but there are level caps in kanto with each gym too.

Spoiler:

Also, in Route 19 (below Fuschia) the guard says the explosion from the volcano blocked off Route 19 indefinitely. Shouldn't that be changed to Route 21, since Cinnebar is blocked from Pallet now instead?

I guess that's an oversight, but it's a little bit too late to say the least to fix it and re-release the hack at this point. Good catch though.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Aug 24, 2016
Every time I switch out a Pokemon to finish a battle, the Pokemon that was switched out gains all the experience from the battle but the one who was switched in gains 0exp. Is this normal?

Years
If a pokemon has reached the level cap provided by the badges you've obtained, it won't gain any exp until you obtain another badge (for example, with one badge your pokemon won't grow past level 20).

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 5, 2017
This is essentially a challenging yet faithful version of Crystal correct?

If so this looks fantastic! Crystal is my favorite game and I've been looking for something that just makes it a little more challenging without adding later gen pokes.

Back