• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
Wait, are you saying that a Chinese site is offering my ROM hack for sale on a repro cart? Oh boy...

Yes and no - they sell cartridges with custom Romhacks, so I provided them with the IPS and they sent me the cartridge.

They are not offering it directly. The reason for me was to get it on a cartridge. I like playing Romhacks on official hardware and even though I have a Flashcards, I like having a physical cartridge.

That's also the reason why I wanted to offer the IPS here - AFAIK there are many people like me who buy cheap repros for their own use and re-flash it with tools like the BennVenn Joey or the gbxcart.

Also I guess, those people more or less know, that there is never any official support - neither by the supplier of the cartridges nor by the ROM maintainers😉

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Yes and no - they sell cartridges with custom Romhacks, so I provided them with the IPS and they sent me the cartridge.

They are not offering it directly. The reason for me was to get it on a cartridge. I like playing Romhacks on official hardware and even though I have a Flashcards, I like having a physical cartridge.

That's also the reason why I wanted to offer the IPS here - AFAIK there are many people like me who buy cheap repros for their own use and re-flash it with tools like the BennVenn Joey or the gbxcart.

Also I guess, those people more or less know, that there is never any official support - neither by the supplier of the cartridges nor by the ROM maintainers😉
You provide the patch to them? That's... an interesting service, to say the least. I can understand the appeal of getting a cartridge/disc version of a game hack. For something that aims to be customizable like Throwback, though, there's a good chance that you'll want to change the enabled features for the hack at some point. Then you'd have to go through the process of providing them another customized IPS patch and have to pay them again to have a new cartridge sent your way to play your updated/changed version of the hack. Nevermind the problems with battery save compatibility.

Either way, I still don't recommend it. I imagine it'd still be full of legal troubles if this was handled anywhere else besides China, which has such a non-caring attitude about copyright law in general.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 18, 2019
is pinsir in his usual spots in the safari zone, or somewhere else? ive hit 10+ scythers at this point without seeing a single pinsir

also, after a pokemon evolves the blue/red nature stat highlighters on their summary page change back to black. this practically non-issue is the only thing ive found so far that isnt spot on, im having a blast and this is the exact way i wanted to play fire red. thanks for making this

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
You provide the patch to them? That's... an interesting service, to say the least. I can understand the appeal of getting a cartridge/disc version of a game hack. For something that aims to be customizable like Throwback, though, there's a good chance that you'll want to change the enabled features for the hack at some point. Then you'd have to go through the process of providing them another customized IPS patch and have to pay them again to have a new cartridge sent your way to play your updated/changed version of the hack. Nevermind the problems with battery save compatibility.

That's the reason I posted😉 If you have a cartridge and want to update to the latest version or even do a different patch set you can use one of the options to prepare the ROM for flashing it back to the cartridge.
Of course you be flashing hardware like the gbxcart or the Joey for this.

Option one is an IPS patch that replaces the save routine to store the savegame on the ROM chip. This works for all recent versions you posted.

Option two patches the bank switching to be compliant with the SRAM chips that have 1MBit. Of course one needs to fit a battery to make use of this SRAM chip. This is a more generic approach that is designed to work with all ROMs that use 1MBit flash!

darthbr

Banned
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 8, 2023
Hey guys, im having a problem, please i need help..

I play this rom thru RG300 retrogame, works fine on REGBA emulator, i play lots of hack roms, but in special, this hack bugs my emulator, i tested in my phone thru myboy, worked fine, i think its the ''hight definition cries''.

The bug is, if i stay in grass hunting for a pokemon, after 3 or 4 minutes, the sound glitch and then mute everything, sometimes the game continues, but sometimes it crash.

I need a help to test it, but i dont know how to patch it, wihout the HD cries and the new outfits. (there are so many patches, i tried to use the readme file, but its very confusing)

someone can tell me the order? (OBS: no HD cries and new outfits) the rest is ok.

Please guys help me, i loved this hack rom.

EDIT::::::::::::: I tried everything patch by patch, something in the patches bugs the rom... cause in the original rom this bug doesnt happen, really i dont know what to do :(

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Hey guys, im having a problem, please i need help..

I play this rom thru RG300 retrogame, works fine on REGBA emulator, i play lots of hack roms, but in special, this hack bugs my emulator, i tested in my phone thru myboy, worked fine, i think its the ''hight definition cries''.

The bug is, if i stay in grass hunting for a pokemon, after 3 or 4 minutes, the sound glitch and then mute everything, sometimes the game continues, but sometimes it crash.

I need a help to test it, but i dont know how to patch it, wihout the HD cries and the new outfits. (there are so many patches, i tried to use the readme file, but its very confusing)

someone can tell me the order? (OBS: no HD cries and new outfits) the rest is ok.

Please guys help me, i loved this hack rom.

EDIT::::::::::::: I tried everything patch by patch, something in the patches bugs the rom... cause in the original rom this bug doesnt happen, really i dont know what to do :(
I've never heard of that piece of hardware. It must be a rather niche emulation system. The emulator seems to be based off of TempGBA, which is itself based on gpSP. The problems you're facing are emulator-based, which is pretty unfortunate. I'm not going to target the hack to be specifically compatible with a flawed emulator. That'd be like a lot of Super Mario World hackers back in the day when they only made sure that their hacks worked perfectly with ZSNES and not caring about more accurate emulators.

What you can do is test each patch in the "Individual Patches" folder separately and see which patches cause problems for you. If you know that it's strictly the "Higher Quality Cries" patch, just patch everything else that you want separately to the ROM (as well as the compatibility patch, if applicable, and the decapitalization patches if you want that). Patching order doesn't matter so long as the compatibility and decap patches for each part of the hack get patched after patching their respective feature patches to the ROM.

Hopefully the patching process will be streamlined soon enough. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get work finished on my planned tool. Time seems to keep escaping me.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
300,000 views! When I first posted on these forums I never expected my hack page to get anywhere near that amount. I'm incredibly grateful for everyone who's checked out the hack and supported it all these years. 😇

I'm gonna put out a small update for Throwback on Thursday. Don't expect that much from it, but I thought I'd add a little something for you all as a way of saying thanks.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 8, 2024
Your welcome. Just keep up the good work and take care. And thank you for creating throwback.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Happy Throwback Thursday!

Happy Thursdays are here again! Well, for today, at least. I wanted to put out a small update for everyone as thanks for the years of support. And what better way of saying thank you than fulfilling the biggest request this hack's seen throughout its existence!

f1e6a1ebb43e75594d866f727f5969f32d35f444_hq.gif

This GIF should tell you what you need to know. The changelog has all the specifics, just in case. Update and complete your New Pokédex!

Changelog

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 19, 2019
Happy Thursdays are here again! Well, for today, at least. I wanted to put out a small update for everyone as thanks for the years of support. And what better way of saying thank you than fulfilling the biggest request this hack's seen throughout its existence!

This GIF should tell you what you need to know. The changelog has all the specifics, just in case. Update and complete your New Pokédex!

Hi, I created an account to tell you that I think the GB music is too loud in comparison to the GBA music. Do you think you can lower it so that they have matching volumes?

Thank you.

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Hi, I created an account to tell you that I think the GB music is too loud in comparison to the GBA music. Do you think you can lower it so that they have matching volumes?

Thank you.
As I stated in the OP, the volume of the 8-bit tunes are accurate to how they were in the original games. This does make them a tad louder than the GBA music, but lowering the volume would break the precise timing of effects such as note fades.

Are you using an emulator? If you are, it could be exacerbating the difference one way or another depending on which one it is.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Ooh, almost fell off page 1 for a second! 😄

Sorry for the silence around here, everyone. I've been busy lately, so I haven't had much time to work on Throwback. I might be able to pump out a bug-fix release tomorrow or something like that, but no promises.

When I patched the ROM it played distorted audio and had a white screen, please help.

What's your setup? Are you using real hardware or an emulator? If an emulator, which one is it, and are you using a BIOS with it? Also, are you sure you're patching the correct ROM? The correct CRC32 is DD88761C.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Happy 'Froback Friday!
Wait, what?
Lotad+best+starter+because+reasons+_4dbcdc48d7b0244a90fdc5aca7f9c0e5.gif

Hey all! It's been awhile, hasn't it?

We got playoff football this weekend, and next week's a busy one for me. Since I probably won't make much of an appearance here in the meanwhile, I thought I'd push out an update for Throwback! Several users have posted various bug reports in the Discord server, and I finally got a chance to check them out for myself. Some of them seem like user error, but I did spot some legitimate critters that needed squishing. Special thanks to everyone who's posted their findings there! Pokémon games are huge, so there's bound to be some issues that slip through the cracks of ROM hacks for them.

Also, just a little note on the thread title update. Me removing tkim's version from it isn't meant to be disrespectful in any way. The only reason I did was because I've had some users get confused by what version is the most up-to-date. His version is still in the OP, and you're all still welcome to check it out if you're curious.

Now then, back to the sports bunker!

Changelog

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 16, 2020
Amazing ROM Hack!!

Questions: Is this ROM compatible with "Dynamic Overworld Pallettes" ?

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Amazing ROM Hack!!

Questions: Is this ROM compatible with "Dynamic Overworld Pallettes" ?
I'd never heard of that development until you mentioned it, surprisingly enough.

It should work fine with it out of the box. Dynamic Overworld Palettes inserts data at 0xF00000, the very end of the ROM. My hack doesn't have any data there.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 15, 2020
Hi guys

First of all I just wanted to let you l ow that so far I've been finding this game awesome, maybe because I found a shiny su at while I was hunting a Clefary

So I've been playing until the second badge, got it and defeated all the trainer on route 24
So now my problem is when I go inside Bill's house
Because Bill is not present, there is just a Pokeball in front of each teleport
So as soon as I go in I just need to do a couple of steps and then the game freezes

I'm playing on the new 3ds
The game has the latest patch

If someone could help me I would be incredibly grateful since I don't wanna lose my save file and lose my zubat

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Feb 25, 2024
I have a question/request...
Has anyone made a (front) cover for Pokemon Throwback? If so would be so kind to as to share it? I am going to use the cover with/on my hacked sega genesis Mini!

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Hi guys

First of all I just wanted to let you l ow that so far I've been finding this game awesome, maybe because I found a shiny su at while I was hunting a Clefary

So I've been playing until the second badge, got it and defeated all the trainer on route 24
So now my problem is when I go inside Bill's house
Because Bill is not present, there is just a Pokeball in front of each teleport
So as soon as I go in I just need to do a couple of steps and then the game freezes

I'm playing on the new 3ds
The game has the latest patch

If someone could help me I would be incredibly grateful since I don't wanna lose my save file and lose my zubat
Strange, I've never experienced something like that before. Nor have I gotten any reports like that. Are you applying multiple patches from the downloaded zip file to your ROM? Or is it just the main patch? And are you sure you're patching an unaltered version 1.0 ROM of FireRed?

I have a question/request...
Has anyone made a (front) cover for Pokemon Throwback? If so would be so kind to as to share it? I am going to use the cover with/on my hacked sega genesis Mini!
I responded to this question by you a couple of days ago in the Discord server. I don't actively seek out any work by others done for Throwback, so I couldn't say. I feel like I'd know if there was, though.

Welcome, BTW! To both of you!

Back