• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Video Game Difficulty

Years
Let's say you're playing a game with adjustable difficulty. Are you the type to typically play on easy, normal, or hard, and why is that?

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
If it's a new game, I would pick easy mode and after beating the game and when I start a new file again, I would pick normal mode.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I'd normally play a game on Normal the first time I play it. Especially if it's an RPG because the first time through I want to play it for the story rather than struggle on bosses and do endless grinding. If I liked the gameplay and the game enough to replay it then when I go through it again that's when I normally up the difficulty.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
On the first run (sometimes only), I usually go for normal, or whatever the median/recommended level is. If I really liked the game and wanted to replay it, I may scale up the difficulty the second time around.

On the flip side, if a game is really so difficult I don't enjoy it, or the type of gameplay is just really tough for me to grasp but I'm into the story, I'm not opposed to scaling down the difficulty either just to make the experience more enjoyable for myself. Really depends on the game.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I usually default to normal then raise / lower the difficulty depending on the game. Some games I like to focus on the story more than the action, so playing it on "legendary" or whatever does nothing for me. Other games I play for the challenge, so playing them on higher difficulties is fun!

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
Years
Normal mode first, but then adjusted to easy along the way if necessary, which often times tell me that the game design is wrong and poor lol

Years
I always play an easy mode, espacially that i am still consider a beginner of all kinds of video game genres out there. Using normal and hard is so hard to do, as it would lead me almost nearing giving up or just rest up for an game for awhile.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
Years
I will decide between Easy and Normal. Generally I like Easy because I prefer minimal frustration when playing games. I don't get any satisfaction out of being challenged too much. Video games are something for me to relax.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
I seem to be gravitating towards Hard now as I get older. The only issue is a lot of games make difficulty just a measure of how much of a sponge your enemies will be and how much health they'll take away from you.

Last game I played that did hard right was Metro: Exodus. Only a few bullets to end you, but same for most enemies!

Imo I wish difficulties affected AI more, with higher diff having more varied and complex combat actions by the AI, as well as the "Everyone dies in a few hits" ideal. Difficulty should be a measure of skill and strategy for you, not a measure of how many magazines or sword strikes a bad guy takes to go down.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Normal (assuming there's an Easy mode) or Hard, typically. I don't go for the hardest option often, but that does depend on the game and etc.

Years
Normal. If it's a game franchise I know and love, hard.

Rachet and clank? Hard. Kingdom Hearts: ANY iteration, proud mode. Etc.

Older games that lack a difficulty setting. Well, I won't complain. It's just how game development was then.

pkmin3033

I have actually gravitated more towards easy now as I've gotten older, because I just don't have the time or the patience for anything else...all hard modes in most video games add these days is enemy health and enemy damage, and it just makes things more time-consuming, which is not the same as making it more difficult. If a game is going to waste my time by dragging on fights for longer than is necessary, rather than testing my skills as a player, I'll play on easy. All a hard mode like that really tests is my endurance, and I don't mind admitting that I don't have the patience to pound away at something that repeats the same attack patterns over and over for hours in the name of a challenge.

Although if a game offers me incentive to play on higher difficulties - like improved EXP gains, item drop rates, and attacks/patterns that are completely absent from lower difficulties, I will jump right into it. Really, it depends on the type of game, and how well it's designed.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I go for the normal difficulty level because that's supposedly the default setting for your average video game.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Nowadays I usually go normal or easy. I figure if I like the game enough, I'll wanna play it again and then I can challenge myself. I have so many games to play, though, that I just wanna get through stuff quickly these days. I tend to rush now and end up underlevelled so easier difficulties are a blessing, lol.

Except Kingdom Hearts. That's always on hardest difficulty first time I play, easier if I just want a story refresh. (But still usually at least proud mode.)

Back