• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Classic Cartoons

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Are you a fan of cartoons from the Golden Age of American animation?

The Golden Age of American animation is defined by the period between 1928 and 1960 that birthed the advent of cartoons with sound. Many notable characters in history spawned during this time period, such as Mickey Mouse, Betty Boop, Tom and Jerry, and Woody Woodpecker. Full-length animations were also produced during this time, such as Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and Pinocchio.

What are your favorite cartoons/movies/characters from this time period?

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Looney Tunes by far. Such a great show, and it provides some of the best humor in that era. Dumbo is also my favorite animated movie. Short, but to the point, and the pink elephant scene is the best surreal moment in a cartoon.

Years
I grew up watching many cartoons from the Golden Age. My personal favorites are Tex Avery cartoons like "Bad Luck Blackie" and anything Looney Tunes. "Duck Amuck" and "The Great Piggy Bank Robbery" are cartoons I have downloaded on my Xbox 360.

Years
Looney Tunes by far. Such a great show, and it provides some of the best humor in that era.
Yeah, Looney Tunes is the thing that holds up best, I think. I watched a lot of those cartoons while growing up. Never watched much old Disney movies and shorts so while I can see how they are technically amazing they still kind of bore me. I'd much rather watch Bugs Bunny dress in drag or Marvin the Martian attempt to blow up the world with his Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I enjoy the old Disney cartoons, especially anything with Pete. The evolution of his design over the years has always been really interesting to me because he's gone through so many designs based on different animals.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Looney Tunes by far. Such a great show, and it provides some of the best humor in that era. Dumbo is also my favorite animated movie. Short, but to the point, and the pink elephant scene is the best surreal moment in a cartoon.
I love Looney Tunes, especially ones featuring my man Bugs Bunny! My favorite cartoon character ever. His squabbles with Yosemite Sam, Elmer Fudd, and Daffy were the cutest thing ever, haha. Yosemite Sam was one of my favorites, too.
I enjoy the old Disney cartoons, especially anything with Pete. The evolution of his design over the years has always been really interesting to me because he's gone through so many designs based on different animals.
Pete is a funky character. His design has changed sooo much I'm not even sure what he's supposed to be. I can't help but wonder why he's been altered so much, but it's pretty fun keeping track of the different animals he's been based off of.

I personally loved Steamboat Willie, of all things. Mickey Mouse in his earliest design was so cute, and then every cartoon he was featured in after that (such as the shorts with Donald and Goofy) were really funny. I adore the drawing style that animators used back then. It was goofy looking, but flowed in a way that made it feel natural. I wish cartoons were still drawn this way.

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
Growing up I was a huge fan of Tom & Jerry but I also watched some Looney Tunes. I watched them all the time back when I lived in Europe, and when I moved to the US I had access to them at night. Loved the slapstick humor that was in them.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
From Disney's cast of characters, I always preferred Mickey/Pluto, Goofy, and Chip 'n Dale shorts. Oh and Humphrey the Bear. Never really a fan of Donald. With Looney Tunes, I like Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, and Wile E. Coyote.

I used to watch a fair bit of Tom & Jerry and a lot of old stuff I can't remember the names of XD But, don't really look back fondly on them as I do Disney or WB.

For movies before 1960? I'm going to go with Peter Pan

Pete is a funky character. His design has changed sooo much I'm not even sure what he's supposed to be. I can't help but wonder why he's been altered so much, but it's pretty fun keeping track of the different animals he's been based off of.
It does seem a bit like Disney uses him whenever they need a "big thing" character XD He was originally kinda bear-like, but then to act as a foil to Mickey Mouse he was portrayed as a cat. Then when he ended up being paired with Goofy all the time he became.... whatever the heck Goofy is (dog?)

Last edited:

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
For a change, I'm actually going to keep my response as short as possible, and give the following blanket statement:

I like all of them.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
(Ahaha I didn't even see this thread until after I changed my theme!)

But, yes, I'm a huge fan of shows from this period. I made my boyfriend watch Bambi with me last month :p

Bugs Bunny is also one of my favorite characters, I love Looney Tunes. I also grew up watching Tom & Jerry, so I'm sure that lead me to watching other cartoons from then.

They're definitely better than some of the tripe we have now, Johnny Test and such...

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
The Looney Tunes are my favorite, and honestly the only cartoon I watched from that era while growing up. All the cartoons I watched as a kid were the 90's ones, but Looney Tunes was on a lot and I loved it.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Duck Amuck, Rabbit Fire and The Rabbit of Seville are some of the best short films/classic cartoons ever made. Only the last of these is available on YouTube (and in a not-too-great format), so go watch it below:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'm not too much of a fan of older cartoons and animated films, though I do like Bambi. And Loony Tunes is really good, and probably one of the only old cartoons that, imo, still holds a candle today.

The thing I don't like about older animated stuff is that it isn't as engaging to me as things past the 60's up until the late 90's and early 2000's. That's not saying it's bad though. It's just not to my taste. Not a fan of the slapstick comedy in Loony Tunes, but I do like the music and the other clever jokes it throws. Can't think of any examples atm as I haven't watched it in so long. Snow White was eh to me, but good Lord did Disney hit the nail on the head when it came to the funeral scene. That was just depressing, and kudos to them to making it feel so real.

Also bravo to me sitting here like "Yosemite Sam? I thought it was Yo Sammity Sam..." because that's how it was pronounced...bahahaha.

edit: I'm sure I'm forgetting some major films though. I'll have to look some up later, cause I don't know all the dates to Disney films.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Duck Amuck, Rabbit Fire and The Rabbit of Seville are some of the best short films/classic cartoons ever made. Only the last of these is available on YouTube (and in a not-too-great format), so go watch it below:

The others are there (or at least Duck Amuck, because I know I've linked to several times over the years). They're just not set to an orchestra

Scripturient

I think I've lost it.
Years
Was never really a fan of the "Golden Age" cartoons. Being a child of the dreaded 90's, I grew up with whatever was around then.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Was never really a fan of the "Golden Age" cartoons. Being a child of the dreaded 90's, I grew up with whatever was around then.
'90s were awesome for a kid. What do you mean dreaded?

And all this so-called golden age stuff was on all the time from growing up in the 90s. At least the first-half of the '90s.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I have to agree with TRIFORCE on this, and a good chunk of the Golden Age cartoons were still in syndication even into the very early 2000's, especially Tom & Jerry and Looney Tunes. Speaking of which, I caught an episode of Looney Tunes on earlier on Cartoon Network (the only channel it seems to be on anymore, unfortunately) just before The Looney Tunes Show came on. I got a kick out of it.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022
I'm a big fan of the Golden Age cartoons. As a kid, I'd always watch them with my brother or cousins. From when they were shown regularly, to their move to Boomerang (we'd always say the slogan of it whenever its on, "Boomerang, it's aaaalll coming back to you!") we'd always watch. I still get a watch it to this day. You can't be the classics, and the best of them is Tom and Jerry, hands down.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
Well, I've always liked Tom and Jerry as well as Looney Tunes. The Wile E Coyote and the Road Runner segment from Looney Tunes has always been my favorite because sometimes it's random what happens to Wile E when he devises stuff, like the trampoline turning him into a sack when he attempts to jump on it XD

Last edited:
Back