Fan Games Hub General discussions about all things fan games. Topics relating to both ROM hacks and custom games are welcome here. Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.

Old December 9th, 2017 (1:54 PM). Edited 4 Weeks Ago by Wobb.
Wynaut
  • Gold Tier

I feel like there are too many that are like:

You are a 10-16 year old boy/girl in a region. The professor wants you to explore the region, catch Pokemon, battle trainers, beat the 8 gyms and complete the Pokedex. Then you fight the Elite Four and Champion. And you do all this while fighting an evil team and stopping a legendary Pokemon from destroying the world.
This is what all the Pokemon games are, but a lot of ROM Hacks and Fan Games are like this too. Some of you might have done something like playing as the evil team.. Or maybe you don't complete the Pokedex. Maybe in your game you play as the professor, or as a Pokemon, or.. you got rid of gyms in your game.
But, all of them have one thing in common. You go around the region catching and battling Pokemon.
I think we should start doing different things.

"Wobb! Are you crazy?! A game without battling Pokemon?!"
A game without any Pokemon battles can still be good. You could compete in Pokemon Contests all around the region. Or you could live on a farm (I think I've seen this idea a few times). You could be a Pokemon photographer taking pictures of Pokemon like in Pokemon Snap. Maybe you could even just explore the region without doing anything with Pokemon (Your region will have to be super pretty if you want me to keep playing, though.)
Or you don't have to get rid of battles. You could still have battles but change something else. Like.. Instead of having a whole region to go on an adventure through, you could spend your whole game in one giant tower. Instead of being on land all the time, the whole game could be underwater, or in the sky, or even in space.
Maybe you're one of those people who wants to make a Pokemon dating simulator. Go make that. You're weird though. Or you could have a game where you work at a store, or you cook for a restaurant, with Pokemon helping you.

I'm making a hack where you play as a Clefairy who gets lost in space, and you can transform into other Pokemon and solve puzzles, and stop the evil Ultra Beasts.

Relevant Advertising!

Old December 10th, 2017 (9:39 AM).
The Demon of Games

Nature: Naughty
    That sounds like a great idea
    Old December 12th, 2017 (5:35 PM).
    Team Salamence
    • Silver Tier

Nature: Serious
    I want to see a hack made with the ability to hunt and kill Bouffalant and obtain their pelts as sellable items. :D

Thank you,

Favorite Pokemon list http://bit.ly/2A2LIJd

Team Salamence is looking for talented ROM hackers, check us out at bit.ly/teamhaxorus!
    Old December 12th, 2017 (6:23 PM).
    • Social Media

I think I'd personally rather see more people polishing and ironing out these common features before venturing off into new territory with new revolutionary ideas. Then again, I prefer it when hacks are simple and feel like they were made by GameFreak.
    Old December 14th, 2017 (2:14 PM).
    DeliveryBoy

Nature: Relaxed
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
      I think I'd personally rather see more people polishing and ironing out these common features before venturing off into new territory with new revolutionary ideas. Then again, I prefer it when hacks are simple and feel like they were made by GameFreak.
      Yeah, I noticed that Gamefreak follows a very minimalistic style, which paradoxically
      never detracts or makes the games feel small or empty. I think it also helps with
      accessibility, not everyone feels comfortable with crazy UIs and super-complex map design...

I'm all for new ideas though, as long as they don't sacrifice balance for the sake
      of "innovation", since innovation doesn't mean throwing everything you already have
      outta the window...
      Old December 16th, 2017 (3:32 PM). Edited December 16th, 2017 by FL.
      Pokémon Island Creator

I agree that there too many similar games. In fact, I made my game Pokémon Island just to avoid the "8 GYM jorney around a new region" approach, since at least 90% of project follow this Game Freak dogma when I came into Pokécommunity (2010). I believe that the majority of projects should avoid this dogma.

If I wish to play games like Game Freak ones, I... play Game Freak games!

But removing battles maybe only works well for, like, 20% of projects, since the core of pokémon series is the battle system.
        Old 4 Weeks Ago (11:11 AM).
        A238

I don't think there's anything wrong with the way people do their ROM hacks and fan-games now. Sure it might be nice to do some different stuff (and I am working on some different stuff myself) but at the end of the day, all that really matters in my mind is the execution.

If the ROM hack or fan-game is good and enjoyable and fun to play, no one's gonna care whether it has 8 Gyms or no Gyms or whatever it has. All that matters is that the game is good enough to get invested in, and that can be done through many different means; story, features, new Pokemon/forms, etc. Players just want a good experience, and that can be achieved in the standard formula that everyone uses just as much as something new and different.

If you think the current formula is boring, then make something different. Don't condemn other people's games simple because they stick close to the official games. Let them make what they want to make, and then let their work speak for itself.

Name: Voi
          Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

Quick Reply