Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

 
 
Thread Tools
  #3901    
Old June 23rd, 2013 (7:00 PM).
Inkblots's Avatar
Inkblots Inkblots is offline
     
    Join Date: Sep 2012
    Location: Canada
    Age: 28
    Gender: Female
    Nature: Calm
    Posts: 267
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by QuilavaKing View Post
    I just heard about a new gaming convention that might be right up our alley.

    http://gaymerconnect.com/

    It's close enough to me that I might actually be able to go. They say it's adults only though, since it's the first time they've held it, and they don't want to risk any of them getting hurt. (Also, I noticed shirts aren't listed in their dress code. lol)
    That sounds really cool! Unfortunately, I live several hours' plane ride from San Francisco, haha. But hopefully it will be a success and maybe there'll be some stuff cropping up around where I live.

    I've only actually been to one convention (just a small sci-fi/fantasy convention. It was playing host to the Constellation Awards, which I had been blogging about, and I was offered a press pass for the weekend. It was pretty damn awesome. I never would have been able to afford going otherwise.), but I had so much fun! It was amazing to be in a space where everyone is so friendly and accepting, and you know that you'll be able to find common interests and strike up a conversation with nearly every person you meet.
      #3902    
    Old June 23rd, 2013 (7:19 PM).
    Kanzler's Avatar
    Kanzler Kanzler is offline
    naughty biscotti
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Toronto
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Relaxed
    Posts: 5,918
    Do you ever feel like 'this is me'? Is there any kind of identity that clicks? It doesn't have to be visual.
      #3903    
    Old June 23rd, 2013 (10:01 PM).
    Moist's Avatar
    Moist Moist is offline
    other in a month When you,
       
      Join Date: Jan 2013
      Location: Australia
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Jolly
      Posts: 211
      Thanks Raichu for the accepting welcome!

      *WARNING: WALL OF TEXT!**WARNING: WALL OF TEXT!**WARNING: WALL OF TEXT!*

      I'm 12 years old, turning 13 next week (Yay), I'm a gay guy who loves Taylor Swift and is out to only one person irl (I came out to her yesterday and she wasn't negative!). I live in Australia and my parents.... well I don't know about them. I've noticed that when they think me and my sister are sleeping they sometimes watch LGBT shows but they never show any distaste or (for a lack of a better word)appreciation for the LGBT community. You can find me on Empty Closets as GreatTornado (So Creative).

      I actually have a crush on someone and I was wondering if I could get a little advice. He is in another grade but same year level as me (For better story telling let's call him John (Not his actual name but I have nothing against John's)). I really like him, I dream about us in a relationship a lot. I think he might be gay/bi because he sure seems like it (Stereotypes, it's all I have). He likes drama and has a lot of friends that are girls but some of his friends are boys. We have some P.E., English and Mathematics classes together and sometimes before and during school we talk, but not at recess or lunch since he likes hanging out with his other friends. I believe I am currently at the start of the friend zone with him but I don't know what to do now.

      I plan to come out to other friends soon but not my parents until either:
      A) I am in a (serious) relationship with another guy
      B) I get a clear view on their stance on LGBT
      __________________
      My Challenges:

      Challenges Completed:
      The Favourites Challenge - Black 2 - 28/01/13
        #3904    
      Old June 23rd, 2013 (11:10 PM).
      Alice's Avatar
      Alice Alice is offline
      (>^.(>0.0)>
       
      Join Date: Mar 2009
      Location: Oregon
      Age: 26
      Gender: Female
      Nature: Careful
      Posts: 3,079
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Cassino View Post
      Hello. Wondering if anyone could help with this. I've noted my disdain for referencing myself as a person, ie. as an entity possessing any sort of physical form. I'm wondering if there is in fact a term for someone who doesn't identify with their body (and not due to spirituality). Like, when I see myself in a reflection or photograph it scarcely connects that 'this is me'. Also, I've long had a penchant for creating characters and imagining myself as them. I would appreciate having something to call this (lack of) of self-identity, if anyone can help me there. I don't suppose this is gender or sex related but I do suppose if anyone might be familiar with this, it'll be the folks here.
      Huh, this sounds a lot like me, especially lately... although I've always just assumed it was normal, considering how rarely I actually look at myself in the mirror, and how often I take on other forms within video games. I definitely do the same thing with creating characters though... whole alternate worlds and communities in fact.

      Why do you think you feel that way? I typed up a bunch of existential stuff about why I feel similarly, but I'm thinking I should just let you explain it yourself. lol
        #3905    
      Old June 24th, 2013 (6:35 AM).
      Inkblots's Avatar
      Inkblots Inkblots is offline
         
        Join Date: Sep 2012
        Location: Canada
        Age: 28
        Gender: Female
        Nature: Calm
        Posts: 267
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Cassino View Post
        Hello. Wondering if anyone could help with this. I've noted my disdain for referencing myself as a person, ie. as an entity possessing any sort of physical form. I'm wondering if there is in fact a term for someone who doesn't identify with their body (and not due to spirituality). Like, when I see myself in a reflection or photograph it scarcely connects that 'this is me'. Also, I've long had a penchant for creating characters and imagining myself as them. I would appreciate having something to call this (lack of) of self-identity, if anyone can help me there. I don't suppose this is gender or sex related but I do suppose if anyone might be familiar with this, it'll be the folks here.
        I majored in psych, so the first thing that popped into my head was that it's some sort of dissociation? There are a couple of disorders that can cause that type of feeling, but if it's not actually causing you distress or interfering with your life, then they wouldn't apply to you.

        Do you not identify with having a body in general, or is that you have a mental image of yourself that doesn't match what you actually look like?
          #3906    
        Old June 24th, 2013 (12:40 PM).
        XIII's Avatar
        XIII XIII is offline
        don't you remember?
         
        Join Date: May 2011
        Age: 20
        Posts: 1,830
        Oh my gosh guys. I got a girlfriend :o

        On the other hand GreatTornado I think that the worst thing someone can do is sit and wonder what would have happened. I did that for a long time "will she like me back?" and it was horrible. I ended up telling her I liked her and she screwed me over but I think it is much better than having to sit and wonder what would have happened.

        I think it would be best if you eventually told him about the crush. Don't overthink it or get too nervous, but do think about what is best.

        I would hang out with him first honestly. Just to get a feel for what he is, you know?
        __________________
        let's meet again
        in the next life
        (tumblr)
          #3907    
        Old June 25th, 2013 (12:58 AM).
        Phantom's Avatar
        Phantom Phantom is offline
        Uh, I didn't do it
         
        Join Date: Aug 2011
        Location: Minnesota
        Age: 28
        Gender: Female
        Nature: Brave
        Posts: 1,186
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
        Oh my gosh guys. I got a girlfriend :o
        Whoa, whoa, just whoaaa.

        Why aren't you telling us more about the very nice lady friend of yours?

        That just isn't fair, Insomniac, and you know it. Spill the beans! All of them! The whole can! beans come in a can right?
        __________________
          #3908    
        Old June 25th, 2013 (1:51 AM).
        Shining Raichu's Avatar
        Shining Raichu Shining Raichu is offline
        Expect me like you expect Jesus.
         
        Join Date: Feb 2011
        Location: Australia
        Age: 28
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Adamant
        Posts: 8,990
        Some do, like baked beans. They're so delicious. Green beans, on the other hand, are devil food and must be destroyed.

        Back on topic, I'm so happy for you GreatTornado. You're taking this step so young, it's fantastic to see. It took me til I was 22 years old to come out to my family and even then they found out through circumstances beyond my control.
        __________________
        Moderator of General Chat
          #3909    
        Old June 25th, 2013 (2:46 AM). Edited June 25th, 2013 by Phantom.
        Phantom's Avatar
        Phantom Phantom is offline
        Uh, I didn't do it
         
        Join Date: Aug 2011
        Location: Minnesota
        Age: 28
        Gender: Female
        Nature: Brave
        Posts: 1,186
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
        Some do, like baked beans. They're so delicious. Green beans, on the other hand, are devil food and must be destroyed.

        Back on topic, I'm so happy for you GreatTornado. You're taking this step so young, it's fantastic to see. It took me til I was 22 years old to come out to my family and even then they found out through circumstances beyond my control.
        RIGHT. Those were the beans I was thinking about. Mmmm, beans. Now I'm hungry.

        So, spill the assorted beans Insomniac. Andy will just have to pick through any green ones.

        I'm waiting.


        And yeah, good on you GreatTornado. I'm going on 23 here and I still haven't completely come out of the closet; family-wise at least. What can I say? Narnia is fraking awesome. I mean there are little goat leg people here, centaurs, and a really fluffy ass lion. He's fluffy. Fluffy. You find something better than a big, poofy, cuddly, lion that doesn't eat people.

        On a side note, Pride is this week. Should be funfun. I'm being forced to go by my friend because, according to him, I am starving the local lesbian population by not making myself more readily available. I just think it's because I'm the only person he can bully into watching the drag show.
        __________________
          #3910    
        Old June 25th, 2013 (10:27 AM).
        XIII's Avatar
        XIII XIII is offline
        don't you remember?
         
        Join Date: May 2011
        Age: 20
        Posts: 1,830
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by PhantomX0990 View Post
        Whoa, whoa, just whoaaa.

        Why aren't you telling us more about the very nice lady friend of yours?

        That just isn't fair, Insomniac, and you know it. Spill the beans! All of them! The whole can! beans come in a can right?
        Okay fine, you guys can have some beans.

        She lives in Minnesota (I told myself I wouldn't have a LDR again but god she's amazing) and she is a biracial girl. She is gorrrgeeoousss.

        That's all the beans y'aller gonna get!

        Also I didn't know GreatTornado was planning on coming out soon.. I'm jealous! Good for you if you do end up taking that big step
          #3911    
        Old June 25th, 2013 (1:20 PM).
        Moist's Avatar
        Moist Moist is offline
        other in a month When you,
           
          Join Date: Jan 2013
          Location: Australia
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Jolly
          Posts: 211
          Thanks for all the support everyone :)
          I thought most people came out at at ages 14-18 :P I've heard of late bloomers but I didn't think that there were so many of them o.o

          I've got a mini update (Yay). I asked the friend I'm out to if my crush has kik and she gave me his kik name so now I have added him. I said hi but he hasn't replied yet :/ I also sent him an email earlier that day asking if he had kik or Facebook or something like that because the holidays are coming up and I want to keep in touch with him. I hope I don't sound creepy or anything...

          That's about it. Hopefully I can get a conversation going on kik.
          __________________
          My Challenges:

          Challenges Completed:
          The Favourites Challenge - Black 2 - 28/01/13
            #3912    
          Old June 25th, 2013 (6:52 PM).
          Inkblots's Avatar
          Inkblots Inkblots is offline
             
            Join Date: Sep 2012
            Location: Canada
            Age: 28
            Gender: Female
            Nature: Calm
            Posts: 267
            The age at which someone comes out is really variable and depends on so many factors, I don't know if there's really an average age. I didn't know or hear of many people coming out before they were at least 18, probably partly because my high school was not the most gay-friendly school in the world - superficially, the school appeared accepting, but there were so many people who would casually use "gay" as an insult for every little thing (e.g., "I can't believe we have to write an essay, this is so gay"), that I think it made people feel it was an unsafe place to talk about it. (My sister is now going to the same school. She says things have improved a lot in that department.)

            For me (and a lot of other aces) I didn't even have a word to describe what I am until I was about 20. I just assumed I was straight (and a really late bloomer) for a long time. I'm 22 now, and I've come out to my friends, but I still haven't come out to my family, because I just don't know how to bring it up.

            It's great that you've figured this out at your age though, and have the courage to come out. I wish I could go back to my 13-year-old self when so many of my friends started dating and explain to her why I didn't feel the same way. It would have saved me so much confusion.
              #3913    
            Old June 25th, 2013 (9:54 PM).
            Moist's Avatar
            Moist Moist is offline
            other in a month When you,
               
              Join Date: Jan 2013
              Location: Australia
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Jolly
              Posts: 211
              Well schools ended but nothing happened much. Me and my crush talked a bit but yeah.

              Off-topic: Also, I have a really red pimple on my neck (ACNE D: ) and a little kid came up to me and asked if I was a vampire. I said yes and showed him my sharp teeth and he ran away xD I think I ruined his childhood or something XD
              __________________
              My Challenges:

              Challenges Completed:
              The Favourites Challenge - Black 2 - 28/01/13
                #3914    
              Old June 25th, 2013 (11:41 PM).
              voltianqueen's Avatar
              voltianqueen voltianqueen is offline
              WITH SEAWATER
                 
                Join Date: Dec 2008
                Location: TN
                Age: 24
                Gender: Female
                Nature: Relaxed
                Posts: 180
                Man, my gf is too cute, and she doesn't even believe it :P
                I keep wanting to drop hints to my mom like, hey, y'know, she's my girlfriend...but for some reason I keep getting interrupted by other people/things (i'm on vacation lol) and I can never bring the subject back around =__= Long-distance is still annoying, especially when she's way too shy to want to cam with me, and if I can manage to convince her to do it, she gets red and doesn't stay very long. Sweet girl. I might start saving up so I can try to go visit her next summer. I hope I'll be able to :D
                __________________
                CHARMELEON! WAR-TOR-TLE
                  #3915    
                Old June 26th, 2013 (6:54 PM).
                XIII's Avatar
                XIII XIII is offline
                don't you remember?
                 
                Join Date: May 2011
                Age: 20
                Posts: 1,830
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by GreatTornado View Post
                Well schools ended but nothing happened much. Me and my crush talked a bit but yeah.

                Off-topic: Also, I have a really red pimple on my neck (ACNE D: ) and a little kid came up to me and asked if I was a vampire. I said yes and showed him my sharp teeth and he ran away xD I think I ruined his childhood or something XD
                I think that's hilarious :D

                Also it might be slow talking to your crush for a while, but my tip of advice is to not contact him too often. It might give off a creepy vibe if you're trying to contact him on kik every other day.

                I suggest getting him to warm up to you, and waiting for him to contact you. If he doesn't wait a day or two and say hey or what's up.

                I learned this the hard way. :\ I kept texting my crush like every day and she got all weirded out.
                  #3916    
                Old June 27th, 2013 (6:46 AM).
                Xolace's Avatar
                Xolace Xolace is offline
                ✿♥✿
                 
                Join Date: Jun 2013
                Location: Los Angeles, California
                Age: 28
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Gentle
                Posts: 39
                Same-sex marriage is now legal in California! Plenty however don't seem too happy about it. I'd truly like to see this become permanent so here's to the future! :)
                __________________
                  #3917    
                Old June 27th, 2013 (11:56 AM).
                XIII's Avatar
                XIII XIII is offline
                don't you remember?
                 
                Join Date: May 2011
                Age: 20
                Posts: 1,830
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Xolace View Post
                Same-sex marriage is now legal in California! Plenty however don't seem too happy about it. I'd truly like to see this become permanent so here's to the future! :)
                I think it's weird that I'm gay myself but I don't really.. I don't feel affected by this at all. When I heard about it I kind of shrugged it off like it was no big deal.

                I know it IS in fact a huge deal though and I'm glad it's finally legal :)
                __________________
                let's meet again
                in the next life
                (tumblr)
                  #3918    
                Old June 27th, 2013 (1:59 PM).
                Gyardosamped's Avatar
                Gyardosamped Gyardosamped is offline
                entering snake habitat
                 
                Join Date: May 2005
                Location: Florida
                Age: 24
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Lax
                Posts: 1,464
                It's a huge win for the LGBT community. It was funny seeing all the bigots come out of hiding yesterday on social networks, though it's kinda sad to see all of the nasty things people decide to say behind the safety of their keyboards and computers. Nevertheless, it's kind of expected that Bible-thumpers would be out and about after being hit with a new dose of reality. What I don't understand is why people think gays marrying will affect them in any way? Why do people criticize something they don't even understand? The effort some people put into advocating for DOMA and Prop 8 was beyond bizarre to me.
                __________________
                  #3919    
                Old June 27th, 2013 (2:52 PM).
                Dreg Dreg is offline
                Done after the GT.
                   
                  Join Date: Mar 2012
                  Posts: 1,500
                  It is really good news to hear. Hopefully it can get legalised in other states too - it's another step for the LGBT community.
                    #3920    
                  Old June 27th, 2013 (5:49 PM).
                  for him.'s Avatar
                  for him. for him. is offline
                  I'm trash.
                     
                    Join Date: Aug 2010
                    Age: 22
                    Posts: 805
                    I am so happy that DOMA has been shot down by the Supreme Court. The victory is small, but I'll take it and hope for more victories to come.
                      #3921    
                    Old June 27th, 2013 (6:29 PM).
                    Kanzler's Avatar
                    Kanzler Kanzler is offline
                    naughty biscotti
                     
                    Join Date: Jul 2008
                    Location: Toronto
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Relaxed
                    Posts: 5,918
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
                    I think it's weird that I'm gay myself but I don't really.. I don't feel affected by this at all. When I heard about it I kind of shrugged it off like it was no big deal.

                    I know it IS in fact a huge deal though and I'm glad it's finally legal :)
                    I'm not gay but I totally feel you. Didn't we all know it was gonna happen anyways? I think when you are spoiled by inevitability nothing is exciting anymore.
                      #3922    
                    Old June 27th, 2013 (6:42 PM).
                    droomph's Avatar
                    droomph droomph is offline
                    weeb
                     
                    Join Date: Sep 2011
                    Location: nowhere spectacular
                    Age: 21
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Impish
                    Posts: 4,291
                    I'm sorry to come butting in here, but I need to talk about some problems I've been having.

                    I wanted to explain to everyone that I had no problem with the repeal of DOMA, and why I wanted it to be that way, even though my beliefs seem to contradict those others with my religion.

                    But I've been getting nothing but hate and "he's right to blindly hate religious people you know" and no understanding.

                    What am I doing wrong? I can't bear to read some of these member's hateful posts, yet I power through to try to understand their view, and I reply to let them know that I do not support Prop 8, etc either. Yet some of these people come back and accuse me of being hateful…

                    I'm sorry. But is this a gay people thing, to hate on religious people blindly? Because if that's how it is, I then revoke my support of gay marriage. If you won't treat everyone with equality, then you don't deserve equality.
                    __________________
                    did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
                    o i forgot 5
                    uraqt


                      #3923    
                    Old June 27th, 2013 (6:46 PM).
                    for him.'s Avatar
                    for him. for him. is offline
                    I'm trash.
                       
                      Join Date: Aug 2010
                      Age: 22
                      Posts: 805
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by droomph View Post
                      I'm sorry to come butting in here, but I need to talk about some problems I've been having.

                      I wanted to explain to everyone that I had no problem with the repeal of DOMA, and why I wanted it to be that way, even though my beliefs seem to contradict those others with my religion.

                      But I've been getting nothing but hate and "he's right to blindly hate religious people you know" and no understanding.

                      What am I doing wrong? I can't bear to read some of these member's hateful posts, yet I power through to try to understand their view, and I reply to let them know that I do not support Prop 8, etc either. Yet some of these people come back and accuse me of being hateful…

                      I'm sorry. But is this a gay people thing, to hate on religious people blindly? Because if that's how it is, I then revoke my support of gay marriage. If you won't treat everyone with equality, then you don't deserve equality.
                      Is it a religious people thing to use the bible as an excuse to bash and harass many of us for centuries? I understand that there are other Christian sects that have adapted themselves to be gay friendly, but many of Christian sects have condemned us.
                        #3924    
                      Old June 27th, 2013 (6:51 PM).
                      droomph's Avatar
                      droomph droomph is offline
                      weeb
                       
                      Join Date: Sep 2011
                      Location: nowhere spectacular
                      Age: 21
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Impish
                      Posts: 4,291
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by First Snow View Post
                      Is it a religious people thing to use the bible as an excuse to bash and harass many of us for centuries? I understand that there are other Christian sects that have adapted themselves to be gay friendly, but many of Christian sects have condemned us.
                      This is what I am talking about.

                      Who cares about that? Who needs to know? The important thing is to understand that those people are wrong, and those people are to be ignored.
                      __________________
                      did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
                      o i forgot 5
                      uraqt


                        #3925    
                      Old June 27th, 2013 (7:03 PM).
                      for him.'s Avatar
                      for him. for him. is offline
                      I'm trash.
                         
                        Join Date: Aug 2010
                        Age: 22
                        Posts: 805
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by droomph View Post
                        This is what I am talking about.

                        Who cares about that? Who needs to know? The important thing is to understand that those people are wrong, and those people are to be ignored.
                        The problem with that it is nearly impossible to ignore. We've face damnation, scorn, hate, and injustice for centuries and these stem from interpretations from the bible. We aren't saying that Jesus Christ condemned gays, however; many translations/interpretations/publications of his words and beliefs have and they have made a lasting impression in our society.

                        Do you expect us to drop our distaste with the bible? Especially when it has been used for decades now to support political and legal decisions in matters that aren't about gay rights as well? Did you know, that the bible has been cited as an excuse for gay bashing? For torment? For violence? It's not easy for us to drop everything we went through to just forgive the a book is a medium for hate.
                         

                        Quick Reply

                        Join the conversation!

                        Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                        Create a PokéCommunity Account
                        Thread Tools

                        Posting Rules
                        You may not post new threads
                        You may not post replies
                        You may not post attachments
                        You may not edit your posts

                        BB code is On
                        Smilies are On
                        [IMG] code is On
                        HTML code is Off

                        Forum Jump


                        All times are GMT -8. The time now is 7:18 PM.