• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] A Mew Me: Reborn

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 29, 2018
Hello! This is a new rake on a fic I once posted here a very long time ago, which I forgot about. I'm still technically new here since I've never frequented it before, but I thought it was time I started posting here again! :)

Chapter Index
Chapter 1: Blue Skin
Chapter 2: New Meaning

Chapter One: Blue Skin

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. But tomorrow doesn't exist, because we only live in the now. So, that means every day is a gift. That's what she used to tell me when I was little…

***A***​

A shop cashier hummed to himself while leaning back on his chair, glancing at his wristwatch every now and then as closing time drifted closer. It wasn't an eventful day. Not many customers showed up, and he had so many plans that evening that he couldn't help but stand on the edge of his toes throughout his shift.

"Urrgh, can this get any more boring?!" The cashier sighed, planting his face on the counter.

"Piplup?"

"Whu?" He looked up and found a small blue, penguin-like Pokémon tilting its head at him. "Whoa there, where did youcome from?"

The Piplup shut its eyes, smiling as it clapped its flippers.

The cashier mellowed his face, patting the water Pokémon on the head. "Aww, aren't you the most adorable thing. You lose your trainer or someth—" He paused when he noticed a girl about to exit the shop, her long pink dress packed full of snacks.

The girl looked his way, her mouth opening slightly, and her brunette hair almost covering half of her face. The cashier was immediately confused when he saw the blue blotches on the few exposed parts of her skin, giving her an almost alien appearance.

"What the?! Where do you think you're taking those?! They're for sale only!"

"Mew, hurry!" the girl screamed as she dashed out of the glass door with her stolen goods.

"Get back here yo—" The cashier scrunched up his face and winced. He looked down and found his hand frozen to the counter. His heart wanted to leap from his chest when the Piplup turned white and morphed into a Swadloon. The cashier jerked back, reaching for a button under the counter, but before he could react or do anything further, the swadloon sprayed him with a white silky substance and he found himself taped to the wall in a sticky cocoon.

The cashier watched helplessly as this Pokémon scurried out of the shop. He tried to struggle out of the cocoon, but to no avail.

The cashier stared down at his body. I'm so getting fired for this…

As Mew, then disguised as an Abra, stormed out of the shop, she caught sight of her human companion waiting for her outside, bouncing on her toes impatiently.

"Hurry and take us home before they come after us!" the girl squeaked, adjusting her dress to not spill her snacks.

People attending to their daily lives walked past the duo, some minding their own business while others stared at the girl with amusement, caution or disgust at her blue skin.

Mew chuckled as she wrapped her tail around the girl's hand. 'Away we go!' Mew hummed, speaking in her Pokémon tongue.

"Hey, somebody stop that girl!" another man with a matching work uniform shouted, running out of the shop. By the time anyone decided to do anything about the girl, she and Mew blared up in a white flash and disappeared out of the scene completely.

***B***​

A breeze accompanied them as they materialized in a small room. The girl slowly pried her eyes open, taking in her surroundings as she dropped her dress, allowing her food to fall on the peach colored carpet.

"Bah, I'm so hungry!" she said as she plopped down, sitting cross-legged. "You can pick what we eat first, Mew!" the girl chimed, but then her smile was immediately interrupted by a series of coughs.

'Kuki, are you okay?!' Mew asked, lowering her eyes.

"It's okay, I'm fine," Kuki lied. Her chest had been aching her all day, making it strainful to breathe, and her coughs had gotten worse since the last handful of days. "You don't have to worry about me… I'm fine."

'But you're turning more and more blue every day. Don't you think it's time we took you to one of those doctor humans?'

"No! They'll take me away from you… I don't want that. I told you, I'm fine, so, please stop worrying," Kuki said, pouting her face.

'Okay, I believe you,' Mew said, though not entirely convinced. To change the subject, Mew pulled a bag of chips, smiling. 'I get to pick, right? Let's start by eating this, then!'

Kuki beamed, helping Mew to open the plastic bag with her more dexterous hands. All the while, Mew couldn't stop staring at the blue blotches creeping up Kuki's cheeks. They'd almost taken over most of the girl's face.

"Aren't you going to take any?" Kuki asked while chewing audibly.

Mew broke out of her worried thoughts. Her eyes glowed purple, then a few chips surrounded by blue psychic energy drifted to her. Kuki's held back a giggle as she stared at her nibble down the chips.

After they were done eating, Mew took Kuki outside to play. Together, she helped the girl set up a kite and watched her run around until the kite glided into the sky.

The fragile string then snapped.

"Oh no! My kite!" Kuki shrieked as she gave chase, only to be stopped by the stone fence.

Mew dashed past her and caught the kite in midair with her psychic, smiling as she brought it back to Kuki. 'It's okay, I got it!'

"Thanks Mew!" Kuki hummed, throwing Mew a tight embrace, almost crushing the kite in the process.

Mew smiled, returning the warmth of the hug. 'What's gotten into you all of a sudden?' asked Mew, mildly pulling away from Kuki's arms.

Kuki fondled her hair as she grinned. "Nothing. I just felt like hugging you."

They played a few more games following that, and they had a great time with just each other. However, their fun was cut short when Kuki suddenly started coughing again, and though the girl didn't want to stop playing outside, Mew convinced her that they should go back inside for the day.

'Here, this might help you feel better,' Mew said while in the form of a Monferno, dishing out warm oran berry soup to Kuki, who was lying on her bed cocooned in a blanket.

Kuki sat up, watching steam rise from the bowl as she held in her palms. "Where are you going to go today?" Kuki asked, a smile slowly building on her face.

'Same as always, I go wherever the wind takes me!' Mew exclaimed, waving her paw in the air.

"Can you please take me with you this time? I promise I'll stick close and not cause any trouble for you!" Kuki pleaded.

Mew lowered her paw, shaking her head solemnly. 'I'm sorry, but the things I do away from here are too dangerous for a human. Besides, you're unwell at the moment. You'll be safe here until I get back.' When Kuki moaned in response, Mew continued, 'Tomorrow, I promise I'll take you wherever you want to go!'

"You promise?!"

'Only on one condition though: You'll have to let me take you to the human doctors so they can cure you. Agreed?'

Kuki pouted, groaning audibly for a few moments before finally conceding a defeated sigh. "Fine, I'll go," she said, pushing her tongue against her cheek.

'That's my girl! Now sit tight and don't go anywhere, okay?' Mew hovered to Kiki and raised her paws. 'You're precious to me, Kuki, and I'll help you battle whatever's troubling you right now,' Mew said, caressing her cheeks before she vanished in a flash of white.

Kuki's smile lingered for a few seconds more. She curled back on the bed, the thoughts about where they could go the following day filling her thoughts. She hummed to herself as she yawned, then, she went silent until she fell asleep.

***C***​

The following day, Kuki woke up with a pained expression as she held her chest tightly. For a few minutes after that, she was continuously coughing, only managing to breathe a few seconds in between.

"Urgh, there's blood now? " Kuki muttered, glaring at the small red beads mixed in with her saliva. She shakily rubbed it off with a rag sitting in the room.

I need… water,she determined, gazing at the bathroom door.

Kuki went in and washed her face thoroughly, but she spent longer than she'd planned in there due to her unrelenting coughs. As she was about to leave, a jolt of pain scorched her lungs, forcing her to spend seconds wheezing and gasping for breath.

Kuki left the bathroom, stumbling short of reaching her bed. She looked up at the stairs leading into the room she resided in. Pondering over it for a few seconds, she decided she needed some more fresh air outside.

Holding firmly to the rails, she climbed her way up, periodically coughing as she went up. Her illness was severely worsening, that much she had realized by then. She begged for Mew's presence at that moment, to tell her how wrong she was about not going to a hospital, and that she needed help, but Mew would not return from her adventuring trips for the next several hours. Mew would return at night if Kuki was lucky.

The door slammed against the wall of the lighthouse as She pushed it open. She was taking heavy breaths as the ocean wind washed over her, her long hair dancing with the breeze. She found her way to an old bench nearby and sat, gazing silently at the calm ocean waters in the warm light of dawn.

How many years had it been since she'd been living with Mew on the island? She couldn't tell. It was the only place she'd ever truly known for as long as she could remember.

Kuki lay down on the bench, wrapping her arms around her as her body grew cold. Her vision was growing blurry—objects seemed to float and duplicate around her—and a wave of exhaustion hit her suddenly. She mulled over what was happening to her; why her skin started turning blue in the last few months.

Hours passed and nightfall slowly crept in, but Kuki only felt her condition worsening with every second that passed. By then, her heart raced and her head ached so much that it was nauseating.

"I'm scared, Mew. It hurts," she cried out, tears streaming down her face as she coughed. "I wish you were here with me right now. I wish you could tell me another bedtime story one last time."

"I'm sorry, Mew. I don't think I'll… be able… to go with you tomorrow." She closed her eyes, breathing with her mouth open, and she eventually drifted away.

***D***​

'Kuki, I'm home!' Mew announced upon teleporting into the room. However, she became instantly aware of the gloom that lingered in the air. Her fear only lit up when she saw the trails of blood strewn around the floor.

Mew panted as she scanned the room, her heart racing when she couldn't find Kuki anywhere in it. She shuddered when a cold breeze hit her, and that was when she discerned that the lighthouse had been left open.

Mew rushed outside at lightning speed and looked around again, boosting her vision with Foresight to up her chances. A wave of relief hit her when she observed Kuki lying down on the old bench. Without wasting a second, Mew approached her, tears welling up in her eyes.

Then, her heart sank again. Kuki's body was cold, much too cold even for cold weather. Her eyes trailing to her face, she noticed traces of blood around the girl's mouth.

Mew placed her ear on Kuki's chest. 'No… her chest isn't drumming? That.. That can't be,' Mew stuttered, refusing to lift her ear from the girl's chest, desperately waiting to hear the sound of a beating heart… but nothing came.

'No! Kuki, please wake up, please!' Mew pleaded, bombarding her with Heal Pulse as a last ditch attempt to revive her, but she knew all too well that Pokémon healing moves were about as effective on humans as they were on lifeless rocks. By the time she stopped, Mew's face was dampening with tears, and she was cursing herself for not doing anything sooner.

Mew almost wished at that moment that she'd never found Kuki all those years ago, that she never found the abandoned infant and thought it'd be fun to raise a human. She didn't think that she'd grow so attached to the girl, and just like that, fate had taken Kuki away from her.

'Please don't leave me, Kuki! I'm so sorry for not taking you out with me. You probably did this because you're mad at me right? Well, if you open your eyes for me right now, I promise I'll take you out wherever you want every single day till the sun blows out,' Mew said, her vision blurry from all her crying. Sadly, Kuki never opened her eyes, and her body remained as lifeless as Mew found her that night.

Mew wracked her brain for answers, for any ways she could bring back her daughter figure, even if it meant selling herself to the literal devil, if such an entity existed. That was when something struck her, but the idea was so unsettling that she wanted to dismiss it right away. However, one more look at Kuki's face, and all of Mew's fears and doubts were washed away in the wind.

Mew twirled the girl's hair, her lips curving in a faint smile. 'Hang in there, Kuki. I'll bring you back to me.'

***E***​

The moon fanned down its gaze upon Mew as she arrived at the peak of a high tower. She grasped tightly onto Kuki's hand with her paws, the cold breeze of the night drying up her tears.

Mew looked up, her face brimming with determination over what she was about to do. She inhaled deeply, then called out, 'Ho-Oh! Come out! Ho-Oh!... I need your help.'

Feathers of orange light started falling from above her. They rapidly gathered in front of Mew until a large bird Pokémon materialized, landing on the floor with a thud accompanied by a gust of winds.

'Mew… It's been a while, has it not?' he spoke, his voice as elegant as his demeanor.

'It has… I'm sorry for not visiting you all this time...' Mew said soberly.

'Don't fret. Time is meaningless to the likes of us,' he said, raising his wing as he spoke, glitters of light flowing down them with the faintest of movements. 'You're distressed. Does it have to do with that corpse you're holding?'

'Kuki is not a corpse! She's mine!' Mew rebuked, seething with anger. 'I mean, she's important to me. I raised her by myself, and she has no one else but me.'

'I see. Since you brought her here… Are you perhaps asking me to—'

'Yes! Please bring her back to life. I know you can do that, can't you?'

'Yes, I indeed can, but I'm afraid I cannot go through with this.'

'Wh-why not?!'

Ho-oh drew a sigh. 'Bringing others back from the realm of the afterlife is no simple task. It always comes at a cost. A life is only worth another life, and in your case, that's problematic.'

'Problematic?' Mew asked, tilting her head.

'The life to be paid can only be from an individual closest to the deceased in question. When I revived my three servant dogs all those centuries ago, it was the lives of their cherished human companions that were sacrificed. Were I to bring this human back, you'd have to die, since you're her closest connection.'

Mew froze, her face slowly swiveling to meet Kuki's as she absorbed what Ho-oh was saying.

'Then do it. I'm fine with passing on, if it's for her.'

'And that's why I can't. You forget that your existence is paramount to this world, and I will not make you cease to be for the sake of a human for that matter, sentimental to you or not.'

'I don't care! Just do this favor for me, I'm begging you Ho-oh! So what if I have to die? I've lived long enough, but her life had only just begun, and now she's…' Mew's words halted in her throat as her tears dripped down on Kuki's face. 'Isn't there another way for this to work?!'

Ho-oh gave her a reluctant look, then he said, 'There is one way to bring her back and the existence of Mew will also persist. I can revive her in your likeness, and she'll be reborn as your successor.'

'You can do that?'

Ho-oh nodded, but he warned, 'However, there is no telling what might happen to her when I do this. She'll could find it immensely difficult to adapt to her sudden new state of life. She could abuse her newfound abilities for mischief.'

'Kuki is a good girl, I raised her to be that way. I believe in her… I accept it, just bring her back.'

Ho-oh then spread his wings, his orange eyes glowing. 'Very well, you have made your wishes clear. I shall pull this human back from the the other side, and she shall walk the Earth in your place, o ancestor of all.'

As Ho-oh spoke, radiant orange flames surrounded Mew and Kuki, swirling into the sky so high, she couldn't see the top from where she was.

Mew raised her paw and realized that her body was fading into pink sparkles, which were then flowing into Kuki's chest, becoming one with her. Mew thought that she'd be terrified at the thought of vanishing, but she instead felt at ease.

She leaned her face toward Kuki's forehead and gave her a farewell kiss.

I'm sorry for doing something this selfish, but when you wake up, I want you to know that I'll always be with you. So, be a good girl, okay?

Mew curled herself in front of Kuki's stomach and waiting for the rest of her body to dissipate.

***F***​

Mew's passing sent a ripple throughout the entire planet, and every Pokémon alive at the time felt it deep in their bones. Some only flinched, while others fell into a panicking frenzy.

However, the Pokémon that felt it the most was perhaps one who lived in a quiet cave in the Kanto region. The Pokémon was meditating when it happened, and upon feeling the sensation in its body, its purple, glowing eyes shot open.

He raised its head forward and grimaced. Soon, he stood up, ready to visit whoever caused Mew to suddenly disappear.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Hey there! Let me give you a belated [re]welcome to PC! I hope that you stick around these parts.

Your story has an interesting start. I'm looking forward to seeing how Kuki handles her newfound responsibilities. She'll also have to handle Mewtwo when it comes looking for her, and I wonder how it will handle the explanation of what happened to Mew.

Only thing that was missing from this was more of an emotional hit when Mew gave herself up for Kuki. The story said that Kuki was important enough to Mew to make her agree to give up her life, but there wasn't much build-up to that. Their relationship was written so quickly in this chapter that I didn't feel their bond that much.

Granted, this was just to set up the story. So I'm sure things will be different as we spend more time with Kuki. Looking forward to more!

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 29, 2018
Astinus

Hey man, I just wanted to really thank you for reviewing my fic here! I'd almost lost all hope for it 。・゚ヾ(✦థ ェ థ)ノ。゚・。 so, thanks. It means a lot. Now, to address your criticisms below.

Only thing that was missing from this was more of an emotional hit when Mew gave herself up for Kuki. The story said that Kuki was important enough to Mew to make her agree to give up her life, but there wasn't much build-up to that. Their relationship was written so quickly in this chapter that I didn't feel their bond that much.

I will admit, I did get some scolding from reviewers on other websites that I rushed the first chapter a lot. I've taken a much slower approach to future chapters because of that, and I've been taking steps to make sure that trend lasts. Well, I can't say whether or not I've improved by a ton since then, but that's up to the readers to decide.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 29, 2018
Chapter 2: A New Meaning

Kuki's eyes darted open. She stared idly at the wall beside her, breathing soundlessly through her mouth. She moved around in the soft confines on her blanket as the rest of her systems went online.

Kuki recognized the wall in front of her; it was the wall of her room in the lighthouse, but as she lifted her head, she soon felt like something was different.

"Mew?" she called out groggily, turning over on her bed, but there was no answer. All she on her other side was the bathroom door and the hunchback television sitting on a counter next to it. She noticed that something was off about them too, like they've grown twice bigger or something.

Mew hasn't come home yet?

Kuki raised her arm to rub her eye, but she went stiff while doing so. Looking down, her eyes widened when she found a blue paw instead of her normal human appendage. A quick inspection of her body revealed to her that she had changed beyond recognition.

Where she remembered having legs were two long, almost rabbit-like hind paws, and when she turned her head around her rear, she saw a new appendage in the form of a tail sticking out of her. She couldn't help but whimper when the tail twisted and turned to her whims.

Kuki let out a high pitched shriek, her eyes darting around as she struggled to find solace. She quickly crawled out of the bed, only to fall face flat on the carpet below. Kuki sprang up, wheezing as she shut her eyes and held her head.

THIS IS A DREAM, THIS IS A DREAM! I HAVE NOT BEEN TURNED INTO A POKÉMON, I'M STILL ME, I'M STILL ME!!

Upon opening her eyes, she was perplexed to find herself in a human form again, wearing the same pink dress she was wearing before the last time she slept.

Kuki stretched her arms forward, a smile quickly forming on her face. "I'm still me!! I guess I really was just—" One look to her left showed her just how wrong she was.

Sitting on the ground next to her was the same blue tail from before, and she could still feel it attached to her body with every slight motion oh her back. Her mouth fell agape, and her body started shaking uncontrollably. She held her head but instantly let go when she felt two unfamiliar outgrowths on it.

Springing up to her feet, Kuki took a long hard look at her reflection in a mirror. She looked the same on the surface, yet a lot was remarkably different. The most glaring change was that her hair had turned from a brunette to a pale blue, and her eyes had donned slit-like pupils that were contracting and expanding as she leaned closer. She touched the top of her head, feeling the peculiar cat-like ears on her head, which resembled Mew's. They were real. They were a part of her.

"W-w-w-what is happening to me?!" Kuki yelled at her reflection. She backed away from the mirror, taking slow steps backwards until she backed herself against the wall. She covered her mouth with her hands and slid down, tears welling up in her eyes.

I have become… I have become some kind of monster!! Did this happen because I was turning blue?

Kuki's eyes glinted. She finally noticed the absence of the chest pain she'd grown accustomed to in the past several months, and she hadn't coughed once since she woke up. It was a small observation, one that didn't distract her much from her then current plight.

Kuki eyed the hunchback television. While still whimpering, she rushed to it on all fours, shakily starting it up and shoving a VHS tape into the cassette player. She stared at the screen as a cartoon movie called 'The Lotus Prince and the Wishing Tower' started playing.

Kuki crawled a few inches back and watched the movie attentively. It was her favorite, and the only one she's actually ever watched. Mew always played it for her when she was upset, and it helped ease her down every time.

The plot of the movie was straightforward. A young lost prince seeks a bell tower which granted wishes to anyone who reached the top. At the end of the movie, the prince was fighting the evil incredulous swordsman on top of the tower. Both characters struggled as swords clashed, each trying to outdo the other in reaching the bell. Against all odds, the prince triumphed. The prince reached the bell upon his victory, where a fairy awaited him, then he wished for his kingdom to be rid of a calamitous famine that engulfed it. He later returned home as a hero, and everyone lived happily ever after.

The ending had always been Kuki's favorite part; it usually filled her with hope. However, the movie only had the opposite effect, and she found herself feeling even more depressed.

Kuki turned off the television as the credits rolled, sniffling as she wiped the remains of the tears on her face. She buried her head in her arms and continued to cry.

Kuki raised her hand momentarily, and glanced at her tail. The way it kept on moving around by itself was starting to get on her nerves, though she noticed something strange about the new appendage.

Is it just me, but does my… tail look just like Mew's? Maybe she knows what really happened to me. I'll ask her when she comes back.

"Huh?" Kuki was taken aback when tears started streaming down her face all of a sudden at the mere thought of Mew. She tried to wipe them off, but the tears just kept cascading down her cheeks. A tinge of pain bothered her deep down in her heart. She clenched her chest hard, wondering why she was feeling that way.

Kuki padded backwards, stopping as her back met the side of her bed. She gazed up at the wall, sniffling and wiping her face every few seconds.

"Mew… Please hurry and come home. I don't know what to do…"

Out of options, Kuki decided to take a step outside to hopefully cool her head off. She wasn't exactly able to think straight with her vision blurred and face heating up from all the crying.

A flock of wingulls scampered away at the sight of her when she opened the door, some of them cautiously eying her unusual form. She paid no heed to them; too under the weather to care about a flock of birds. She could've sworn she heard them gossiping about her, but she brushed it off as her imagination.

As she walked down the stairs outside the lighthouse, the salty smell of the surrounding oceans filled up her nostrils. She raised her face and inhaled deeply, though she found it odd that she never sensed the salty odor that strongly before. She wondered if her new body altered her smelling ability. Great. One more thing to be anxious about.

Her's gaze fell on the bench she remembered sleeping on last time. She rubbed her palm against the surface, feeling the friction of the woodwork against her.

Another thought came across her, one she hadn't realized before.

How did I get back in the lighthouse last night? Did she come back and carry me back to my room, or did I walk back there in my sleep?

She rested her head on her palms as she settled on the bench. So many questions swirled in the abyss that was her mind, and yet she could not get any of those answers until Mew returned… whenever she does.

What will Mew think of me if she sees me like this? That I've become a mixed imitation of her form?

Kuki felt so lost. There was nothing she could ever fear more than being rejected by her foster mother. The thought of it happening sent a cold shiver down her spine. She then took a trip down memory lane, recalling something Mew had told her back when her illness was still in its early stages.

It doesn't matter if you change color, grow a second head, or turn into a yellow Rattata. No matter what you look like, Kuki will always be Kuki to me, so, don't worry about a thing.

For the first time since she woke up, a smile found its way across her face. Of course, Mew would always love her no matter what. Kuki exhaled a relieved breath, feeling a bit better. Mew would help her figure things out.

***A***​

Some hours after she was finished crying, Kuki sat down to eat some of the snacks leftover from the previous day. As she gorged down on some cream crackers, she kept staring at an orange juice box, pondering something over in her mind.

Since I'm kind of like her now, does that mean that I can carry stuff with my mind too?

Kuki swallowed down her mouthful of crackers and set off to experiment. She reached her arm out at the juice box and furrowed her brows.

Come to me juice box!! Obey me!! Come, I tell you!!! Come!!!

She tensed her face so much that she looked like she was about to pop. She lowered her arm, heaving a long sigh.

Aww, it isn't working. And here I thought I could lift a juice box with my mi—

Kuki shrieked when something slapped against her face. The object fell down her laps, and when she looked, she saw the juice box just lying there, its edges bent from the impact.

I did it! I CAN lift a juice box with my mind!...

Kuki raised the juice box in her palms. But how did I do it? She caressed her cheek where it met her face. I'll probably figure it out later. She brushed it off and popped the juice with a straw before drinking its contents.

Kuki later placed a rubber ball a short distance from her and sat across it. She focused her eyes on it and exhaled.

Alright, I've got this. I can do it, I can lift the ball, with my mind!

Kuki spent a few minutes staring hard at the ball, contracting her fingers as she concentrated every thought on making the ball move… but nothing happened.

Kuki dropped her arms and groaned, eying the rubber ball that seemed to mock her failed attempts. "Why isn't this working?! It worked with the juice box. Maybe the ball is dark type." She shook her head, dismissing the thought. "No, I have to do this, so I can impress her when she gets back!"

She huffed and raised her arms forward once more. Her eyes burned with more determination. She closed her eyes and pushed all other thoughts and distractions away. She perhaps did it too well, as she realized her mind felt much too calm at that moment.

I can feel it! Something is definitely rising! Something is—

Kuki let out a pained cry when her head bonked against a surface. She pried her eyes open to find herself looking at the ceiling face to face. She made the mistake of looking down afterwards, seeing the ground way below her… then she dropped.

Kuki lifted her head groaning after falling, rubbing the tip of her nose which scraped the ground during her descent. Her fall ached a lot less than she expected. Maybe she was sturdier in her new form? Hard to say.

"Ow… I don't get it… How did I make myself float and not the stupid ball?" Kuki sat up, grunting as she frowned. "None of this makes any flipping sense!" She sighed, glancing at the ball again. "At least I know I can fly now."

Still, Kuki reasoned that whatever it was she'd turned into, it made her feel so amazing. She looked at the ceiling, then around her room. Her new eyes could pick up even the most subtle of color hues around her, seeing all new colors dancing in her vision. The longer she looked at a certain spot, the more her eyes seemed to zoom in and discern the smallest of details on it. It gave a new meaning to seeing the world in a new light.

Kuki raised the ball in her fingers, glaring at it as she puffed her cheeks. "I won't lose to you, Mr Ball. I'll make you float whether you want to or not, just wait!"

An idea surfaced in the crevices of her mind. If she threw the ball up, could she stop it from falling? It seemed like a good idea, since trying to move the ball while it's inert hadn't yielded any desired results.

While standing in one spot, Kuki hurled the ball upwards, waiting for the moment gravity began pulling it down. In that moment, Kuki threw her arms up, closing her eyes as she uttered, "Stop!"

It fell.

"Again!" Kuki said, tossing the ball a second time, concentrating even more on it.

Again, it fell.

"One more time!"

The rubber ball still disobeyed. It landed on her head, bounced off and rolled to her bedside. Kuki groaned, reaching her arm out to it weakly. She closed her eyes and let out a defeated sigh.

Why won't this work alread—

She pried her eyes open when she felt something meet her palm forcefully. Much to her amazement, she'd retrieved the ball with her psychic abilities unknowingly, just like with the juice box earlier.

"But how?! I don't get this!" Kuki impulsively threw the ball at the wall and sat. "Stupid ball!" she seethed.

Kuki sat alone, basking in the silence of her room as she pondered what exactly she wasn't doing right. Mew made it look so easy…

Kuki's eyes lit up when she recalled another conversation she once had with Mew about how she used her telekinesis.

It was when she had been younger. Mew had taken her out of the lighthouse for the very first time to some berry fields out somewhere. Kuki didn't question Mew on who owned the fields; she just stuck close by the berry basket as she was told.

At the time, Kuki observed as Mew plucked loads of berries off their stalks without even touching them, homing them into the basket as she collected them.

"Mami," Kuki called, it was how she used to refer to Mew in the past. "How do you do that?"

'Hmm?' Mew swirled around tilting her head, some berries floating around her as they halted their movements. 'How do I do what, Kuki?'

"You make stuff move with your head. I want to do that too!"

'Oh, you mean this?' Mew asked, hovering to her with a berry in tow. 'I could try teaching you.' Mew's eyes moved to the side. 'But I don't know if you can, since you're human.' When Mew saw Kuki's eyes lowering, she piped up. 'But I'm sure you can do it! Come, i'll teach you.'

Kuki beamed up, throwing her arms in the air. "Yay! Mami, teach me, teach me!"

Mew quickly covered the girl's mouth, cautiously looking around as she said, 'Keep your voice down, or the humans will come!' she whispered.

Kuki nodded her head. "Sorry, Mami."

Mew told her to get up, making her take a crouching pose with her arms stretched forward. While adjusting her head to face one of the berries. 'Now, I want you to focus your mind on the berry, and try to be calm. Don't try to force it to move, but think of yourself as one with it.'

"Okay," Kuki said, nodding while focusing her eyes on the oran berry. "I am one with the berry, I am one with the berry." Kuki's eyes gleamed when the berry steadily lifted from the ground, tiny sand grains breaking off the skin as it went higher. "I did it, Mami, I did it!"

'Yay! I knew you had it in you!' Mew said, flipping in the air playfully.

Back in the present, Kuki's mind remained on those memories. She recalled how Mew confessed that she was actually the one who lifted the berry for her. Kuki also remembered being upset about it, but Mew cheered her up with The Lotus Prince movie as always.

Kuki raised her face at the ball, which sat mockingly in front of the bathroom door.

Become one with the berry… become one with the ball.

Kuki gulped down as she steadily raised her arms forward. She huffed and focused her eyes on the ball, ignoring everything else surrounding her. "I'm one with the ball, and the ball is one with me."

Kuki's eyes lit up when the ball fidgeted in place. She pressed on further, repeating her chant to herself. She bit her lip anxiously as a blue outline flickered on and off around the ball.

Finally, she raised her arm, and the ball lifted accordingly. A wide smile spread across her face, and she didn't even feel the faint glow surrounding her irises. Kuki imagined the ball coming closer, and it obeyed, floating gently till it was just a few five inches away.

Kuki pulled her other arm back and started waving her palm sideways. Surely enough, the ball started rotating sideways to her motions while still remaining on air. At that moment, Kuki felt a river of joy pour down on her.

I'm doing it.. I'm actually doing it!!! Okay, stay calm. Let me see if I can do it without my hands now.

The moment she dropped her arms, the ball fell to the ground, and she lost control over it. Kuki furrowed her eyes and groaned. "I guess I'm not quite there yet…"

Kuki levitated the ball again with her arms, guiding it around the room for some minutes. The giddiness she'd been feeling still hadn't left her, because to her, she was already making enough progress to call the day a success. However, the young girl was still striving for more.

What else can I lift? Can I lift the carpet, or my bed or even… water?!

A second after that thought, Kuki rushed the bathroom and filled a cup with water. She Left the door hanging open as she trotted to the middle of the room, the water sloshing about as she placed it on the ground.

Kuki took a few steps back and stretched her arms out. Her aim was to try and raise the water within without moving the cup. An ambitious goal so early perhaps, but her caretaker had taught her to always challenge her own capabilities.

The water rippled and the cup shook as she concentrated her mind on it. Her ears exhumed heat as she focused every muscle in her arms to making the water move, all the while telling herself the water was one with her mind and body.

After what seemed like an eternity, water slowly overflowed from the cup to form a blocky, cylindrical transparent pillar, dancing wobbly as Kuki strained to maintain the water's form. Taking a deep breath, she raised her arms higher and the water slowly followed, leaving the cup completely.

Then stood the girl, spectrally controlling a bubble of water over the ground. Wonder filled her eyes as light sparkled through the water. By tweaking her fingers, she was able to slightly mold the shape of the water to resemble a fish, then an apple and then a shoe.

Her arms began hurting from being raised too long, so she carefully lowered the water bubble back into the cup and dropped down on her back with a sigh. She stared up at the ceiling, thinking of all the things she could do. Could she transform into other Pokémon? Could she turn invisible? She'd already flown once, so she knows she at least has that ability.

Kuki yawned as she closed her eyes. She'd tired herself out, she can try out other new tricks later.

Her eyes then shot open, and her heart started pounding in her chest. A sudden chill of heaviness invaded the room, and could hear something ringing in her ears. Kuki sat up quickly and stared up at the staircase.

Someone… was waiting outside.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Glad that my review made you so happy! While it might take me a few days to review your chapters, I'll make sure to stay updated with this story.

I can see some definite improvements in this chapter. It was great to spend time with Kuki as she explored how much things have changed for her and what her new abilities can do for her. I'm going to guess that her illness that gave her blue skin wasn't so much an actual illness, but a reason to make her a shiny Mew with a reasonable explanation.

The part where she was trying to get the rubber ball to move was cute. Particularly like the line that the ball won't move because it might be a Dark-type! And the memory Kuki had of Mew in the berry fields added something to their relationship so we could see how motherly Mew was to the girl.

For who that is outside the lighthouse, I hope it isn't Mewtwo already. Kuki's not ready to deal with Mewtwo yet, and I wonder how Mewtwo will handle the changes.

Back