• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Nov 24, 2013
Pokemon Essentials latest release problem

Is anyone else having trouble getting the day/night tint on Pokemon Essentials to work? I need it for a game I'm developing, and it doesn't seem to be working. Any help would be appreciated.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I have the exact same problem, and the script seems to be calling data from a windows widget that is for Vista not WinXP...

Also, I have the latest version

The exact error is this:

---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: NoMethodError
PokemonUtilities:289:in `getRoughLatLon'
PokemonUtilities:386:in `getLatLong'
PokemonUtilities:586:in `getToneInternal'
PokemonUtilities:584:in `each'
PokemonUtilities:584:in `getToneInternal'
PokemonUtilities:353:in `getTone'
PokemonUtilities:2095:in `pbDayNightTint'
Sprite_Character:124:in `update_or'
PerspectiveTilemap:408:in `shadow_update'
Shadow:179:in `update'

This exception was logged in ./errorlog.txt.
Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

I am not that great at scripting but I tried to deduce the problem. The line of code in question is really 289:

wcache=ENV["LOCALAPPDATA"]+"\\Microsoft\\Windows Sidebar\\Cache\\168522d5-1082-4df2-b2f6-9185c31f9472"

I believe it's trying to get weather data from a Vista widget that XP users won't have on their system. I tried to use an older version of the game and it works fine, is there any way somebody could cosmetically repair this line of code properly so that it reflects the weather for XP users?
Looks like poccil updated Essentials and didn't change the "May 7, 2010" tag on his website. Here's me thinking I still had the latest version.

Never mind. For your game making pleasure, I've put up my (probably actual) May 7th 2010 version of Essentials on MegaUpload. Make with it what you will.

SevenDragons - As Windows XP doesn't have a sidebar, I doubt your problematic line can be "fixed". That whole bit of code should probably just be removed instead. I couldn't say what should be removed, because as mentioned I don't have the stealth version of Essentials, just the one I've uploaded for everyone.

LaccyO

Sspriterr
Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2010
I get this problem whenever I encounter a wild Pokémon:

PokeBattle_Battle:523:in `pbSetSeen'
PokeBattle_Battle:638:in `pbStartBattleCore'
PokeBattle_Battle:549:in `pbStartBattle'
PokemonField:753:in `pbWildBattle'
PokemonField:752:in `pbSceneStandby'
PokemonField:754:in `pbWildBattle'
PokemonField:751:in `pbBattleAnimation'
PokemonField:751:in `pbWildBattle'
PokemonField:1069:in `pbBattleOnStepTaken'
PokemonField:1092:in `pbOnStepTaken'

I really don't know what to do..

Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2012
in double battles in the latest version of the Pokemon Pokemon Starter Kit opponents do not attack, does anyone know how to fix this?

thanks

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
Does anyone know how to like........get rid of the whole day/night feature? I don't want it gone forever, but I'd like it gone while I'm making/testing my game.

edit: oh lol I can just disable the 'outdoor' setting for those maps in the 'set metadata' thing in the editor. you guys can ignore this post XD

later edit: hmmm okay, looks like if I disable 'outdoor', running shoes aren't able to be used. which makes sense, even if it's annoying. so uhhh is there any other way to disable day/night that doesn't stop you from using running shoes?

Oh, I was also wondering about double battles that use a single trainer sprite (for example, "Old Couple" or "Sis and Bro" or whatever). the wiki says "pbDoubleTrainerBattle triggers a double battle with two separate trainers (this is different to having a single trainer depicting two people - in that case, make a single battle as above and make that a double battle).", but I don't ... really understand what that's saying fff. Can anyone explain how to go about having this kind of double battle?

third and final question - so I have a partner trainer following the playable character at one stage...but instead of walking behind you, she walks next to you? or at least, she doesn't change where she is if you change direction. so if you walk 'through' her and take the lead, she'll follow you. but if you're walking up or down, and she's following you, and then you walk left or right, she's just walking next to you. it looks really weird aldhgs and I have no idea how to fix it.

edit: ......and now she's not doing it anymore. WTF.

Last edited:
Years
Ok, I've finally fixed my last errors, but I've got another one.
I changed several backgrounds (they match the properly size) and when I tried to use it on one of the routes i simply set in metadata BattleBack to 1. But background and enemy/player bases in battle were just black screen. So I've tried setting it to 01, 001 battlebg1 etc. Everytime same thing happened. What's wrong now?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Does anyone know how to like........get rid of the whole day/night feature? I don't want it gone forever, but I'd like it gone while I'm making/testing my game.

Oh, I was also wondering about double battles that use a single trainer sprite (for example, "Old Couple" or "Sis and Bro" or whatever). the wiki says "pbDoubleTrainerBattle triggers a double battle with two separate trainers (this is different to having a single trainer depicting two people - in that case, make a single battle as above and make that a double battle).", but I don't ... really understand what that's saying fff. Can anyone explain how to go about having this kind of double battle?
The wiki doesn't really tell you how to do it, it just says do it. The notes aren't the easiest to read, but at least they tell you how to do it. Here's an example I put together that should work for making a double battle against a single trainer:

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::CAMPER,"Andrew",_I("A very good battle, indeed."),true,0)

To temporarily disable the day/night system, find this (in PokemonUtilities):
ENABLESHADING = true
and set it to false.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I noticed a slight against the wiki, so I took a look.

It may be a little unclear, but the information is all there. One of the event comments is "DoubleBattle", so you can do it that way. Alternatively, the six arguments of pbTrainerBattle are also explained, where the fourth argument is true/false depending on whether it should be a double battle (it's the one just after the message).

KitsuneKouta has already given you the answer, but it's in the wiki too if you do a bit of reading. I've also edited it to make things a little clearer.

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
aww, I didn't mean it as a slight, it just confused me. usually the wiki is really good for solving my problems!

but uhhh I guess I didn't look closely enough? idk. but thanks guys, that totally cleared it all up for me. :)

nmorr

Takin a brake. -_-
Years
in double battles in the latest version of the Pokemon Pokemon Starter Kit opponents do not attack, does anyone know how to fix this?

thanks

Really? B/C in mine the second pokemon in the field in the player's party doesn't do anything. It doesn't even gain exp, nor attack. It can just take damage and faint.

Fraot

Researcher & Game Developer
Years
Hello!
Hey, I was testing the May 7th release and I noticed something ugly. The games lags too much, at least compared to the previous one. I don't know if now is a little more hard to process or a script is just not well made, since I tried to edit the graphics frame rate and only the game ran faster but the lag remained.

Years
  • Seen Sep 21, 2010
Pokemon Essentials

Interpreter:509:in `command_end'

Interpreter:293:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:191:in `update'

Interpreter:104:in `loop'

Interpreter:196:in `update'

Scene_Map:96:in `update'

Scene_Map:94:in `loop'

Scene_Map:107:in `update'

Scene_Map:63:in `main'

Scene_Map:60:in `loop'

This exception was logged in ./errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

I thought I would post this error here since I am going to bed and I don't have time to figure out what it is. I am just hoping by tomorrow morning somebody who knows what it means will post a helpful reply, if not I will try to figure it out in the morning.

It's a very strange error, it happens when I use a transfer trigger between maps and it only happens between two certain maps nowhere else. And it's the first error I have had in the last 30 or so hours.

Any help is much appreciated.

-Jake

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
sob I have a really awful problem and I have no idea how to fix it, or even what's causing it. okay basically, if you enter one specific map, the game just...freezes. and makes a really awful sound :( no error message, just frozen game-ness. :(

I thought maybe the map was idk too large and it was breaking it, but if anything it's one of the smallest outdoor maps. it's connected to another map, and if you like...stand in the other map, and just see parts of the connected freeze-y map, nothing bad happens. it's only if you actually enter that map.

I am entirely stumped.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
sob I have a really awful problem and I have no idea how to fix it, or even what's causing it. okay basically, if you enter one specific map, the game just...freezes. and makes a really awful sound :( no error message, just frozen game-ness. :(

I thought maybe the map was idk too large and it was breaking it, but if anything it's one of the smallest outdoor maps. it's connected to another map, and if you like...stand in the other map, and just see parts of the connected freeze-y map, nothing bad happens. it's only if you actually enter that map.

I am entirely stumped.
I would check your events first. You may have a couple of autorun or parallel processing trying to function at the same time. If it's freezing but no error, it's usually because it's trying to process more than one event at the same time (or you may have a loop in one of your events that doesn't have an exit). When that sort of thing happens to me, those are usually the culprits.

@Seven Dragons: someone had that problem a while back, and it was caused by an error in their connections.txt file. Try seeing if you can find and fix it, or clear the whole thing and do it fresh (that's what he did).

@maldicion069: implementing new HMs is usually difficult, especially if you don't know how to script. If you can script, you can base it off of other HMs like surf (you'd probably need a terrain tag for fog, etc). Otherwise, you'll have to convince someone to do it for you.

Last edited:

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
I would check your events first. You may have a couple of autorun or parallel processing trying to function at the same time. If it's freezing but no error, it's usually because it's trying to process more than one event at the same time (or you may have a loop in one of your events that doesn't have an exit). When that sort of thing happens to me, those are usually the culprits.

yeah, the map that was freezing had a few autorun events - I removed the last one I'd added, and now it works fine! thanks, dude :)

can't believe I didn't think to check that haha XD

edit: hey, question. say you had to show a character three different pokemon - like, different species of pokemon. how would you...do that? sigh. I'm thinking it would be best to have an empty array that, when you show the character a pokemon, has that pokemon's species added to it. then you can throw in a quick check to see if the next species you show is in the array, and if it isn't, it gets added, etc etc. unfortunately, the bit where you get the species of the pokemon is giving me a bit of trouble. it's easy to check the party for a specific species, but I can't seem to work out how to sort of...reverse that, so it can work out what species of pokemon is first in the character's party. am I missing something super obvious?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 6, 2010
I get this problem when i enter in the safari zone (i've download the last version of the starter kit and i haven't modify it):

Script 'PokemonUtilities' line 289: NoMethodError occurred.

undefined method +' for nil:NilClass

tasmania12

Mewtwo Master
Years
Forgive my ignorance, but, I downloaded the newest version of Pokemon Essentials and I made my own regional map and the file townmapgen.html won't work. I would click on a city and it doesn't fill in the map position!
Is there any other way to set up the regional map? I also get errors while accessing the map in game, veiwing a Pokemons location in the pokedex, and in the Pokegear. Can someone please help me!

This is the error:

PokemonRegionMap:195:in `pbMapScene'
PokemonRegionMap:282:in `pbStartScreen'
Pokegear:139:in `update_command'
Pokegear:136:in `pbFadeOutIn'
Pokegear:136:in `update_command'
Pokegear:117:in `update'
Pokegear:65:in `main'
Pokegear:62:in `loop'
Pokegear:69:in `main'
PokemonUtilities:1936:in `pbLoadRpgxpScene'