The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacking
[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Closed Thread

Old February 20th, 2012 (4:50 PM).

About how much extra music could be added to a Pokemon Ruby hack?

Relevant Advertising!

Old February 20th, 2012 (6:58 PM).
    weeb

Nature: Impish
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gafl View Post
    About how much extra music could be added to a Pokemon Ruby hack?
    Depends on how much other crap you want to put in there. If it's a purely music hack, then it should be around 1MB of all the .MIDI files.

Old February 20th, 2012 (7:28 PM).

Quote:
      Originally Posted by droomph View Post
      Depends on how much other crap you want to put in there. If it's a purely music hack, then it should be around 1MB of all the .MIDI files.
      I see... I think. I'm sorry but I couldn't understand that last part. Did you mean 1MB for all of the .midi together or per?

Another question. How feasible is it to change the way how text is displayed? Like instead of you just going up to a person, talking to them and text appearing at the bottom of the screen you go up to a person, talk to them but the screen turns a bit dark and a picture of the main character and the person they're talking to appear while the pictures sometimes change to convey emotions? Like in other RPGs?
      Old February 20th, 2012 (11:36 PM).

I have a question which came in my mind yesterday.is it possible to play hacks online? I want to play pokemon b/w online and I am playing Blaze Black(a b/w hack),so can I just play online
        with normal b/w players even though I play a hack??
        Old February 21st, 2012 (4:42 AM).
        Beginning Hacker

I can't help you with these questions, sorry guys, but I have one, too.
          How can I edit the in-game text? Like what Prof. Oak says and other things like every single YES/NO box? Because I want everything to be written in small letters, like in the DS Games.

My problem is: A-Text does not work, I get an error message... So is there an other possibility?

Thanks, Reygok
          Old February 21st, 2012 (5:30 AM).
          The Unknown

Nature: Jolly
            Quote:
            I see... I think. I'm sorry but I couldn't understand that last part. Did you mean 1MB for all of the .midi together or per?

Another question. How feasible is it to change the way how text is displayed? Like instead of you just going up to a person, talking to them and text appearing at the bottom of the screen you go up to a person, talk to them but the screen turns a bit dark and a picture of the main character and the person they're talking to appear while the pictures sometimes change to convey emotions? Like in other RPGs?
            Well its not simple. It would be very hard to have the screen turn darker. I know that in FireRed (with a bit of ASM) you can go grayscale. Not sure if its possible in Ruby however. As for the faces it is very much possible in Ruby BUT you would have to place the mugshots in the sprite slot of normal pokemon. For example you could take away Mankey's battle sprite and put in your hero's mugshot. Then for each emotion of the person you would need a new pokemon to replace. However between Celebi and Treecko there are 25 ???'s that aren't used in the game in which you could replace first.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by BDHORNZ View Post
            I have a question which came in my mind yesterday.is it possible to play hacks online? I want to play pokemon b/w online and I am playing Blaze Black(a b/w hack),so can I just play online
            Are you referring to trade and such with normal player's or a MMORPG (Mega Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game)? For the furthermost it would be a no. But for the first it may be possible if you are on a laptop that gets a Wi-Fi connection perhaps. I've never used a DS Emulator so I can't be sure.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Reygok View Post
            I can't help you with these questions, sorry guys, but I have one, too.
            How can I edit the in-game text? Like what Prof. Oak says and other things like every single YES/NO box? Because I want everything to be written in small letters, like in the DS Games.

My problem is: A-Text does not work, I get an error message... So is there an other possibility?

Thanks, Reygok
            Why yes there is! It's not as simple to use as A-Text but it adds a lot more possibilities. You would have to use a script editor and the scripts are the movements, actions and words that happen during the game. I would recommend XSE (eXtreme Script Editor) in HackMew's Tools Factory. It is very useful but like I said its not easy to use like A-Text so refer to Diego's Scripting Tutorial for information on how to learn.

.:Aegis:.
            ~coming soon~
            Old February 21st, 2012 (6:59 AM).

Allright, guys. Sorry to bother you again, but after successfull start with remapping (working on a hack), I decided to insert some new sprites and change some pokemons. Well, worked without problem. Oshawott was in the game and so was Snivy. However, when I opened FSF to find some space for Tepig, I was given some space as usual, but this space is not chaning. Can't get new set of free bytes for inserting another sprites.

I thought that my rom (FireRed) may be damaged somehow, so I tried another one, but after inserting same sprites, same problem popped up.
              Old February 21st, 2012 (8:00 AM).
              Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
                Quote:

One way to do that is what speedster said, however I know for a fact I've seen a tutorial on how to make "mugshots" appear, and I've seen it in a hack too...I just don't know where the tutorial is. JPANs hack engine has a picture display command which will display images without having to substitute pokemon for it.

Quote:
                I've never been able to connect to other DS's via a computer, but using a flash cart to play a rom on a DS will work.

Quote:
                Originally Posted by PaulieCZ View Post
                Allright, guys. Sorry to bother you again, but after successfull start with remapping (working on a hack), I decided to insert some new sprites and change some pokemons. Well, worked without problem. Oshawott was in the game and so was Snivy. However, when I opened FSF to find some space for Tepig, I was given some space as usual, but this space is not chaning. Can't get new set of free bytes for inserting another sprites.

I thought that my rom (FireRed) may be damaged somehow, so I tried another one, but after inserting same sprites, same problem popped up.
                I'm not sure what chaning means, but maybe using wichu's sprite editor would help you.

I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.

Old February 21st, 2012 (8:59 AM).

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
                  Well its not simple. It would be very hard to have the screen turn darker. I know that in FireRed (with a bit of ASM) you can go grayscale. Not sure if its possible in Ruby however. As for the faces it is very much possible in Ruby BUT you would have to place the mugshots in the sprite slot of normal pokemon. For example you could take away Mankey's battle sprite and put in your hero's mugshot. Then for each emotion of the person you would need a new pokemon to replace. However between Celebi and Treecko there are 25 ???'s that aren't used in the game in which you could replace first.
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
                  One way to do that is what speedster said, however I know for a fact I've seen a tutorial on how to make "mugshots" appear, and I've seen it in a hack too...I just don't know where the tutorial is. JPANs hack engine has a picture display command which will display images without having to substitute pokemon for it.
                  Thank you both for your help. If you remember what hack had these "mugshots" then please inform me. I've played a hack of Emerald, I think it was Pokemon Skye or something like that, and they had pokemon from all 5 generations. What are the chances of success of getting all pokemon in a hack of Ruby along with completely new music for towns, routes, battles for the gym leaders, elite four, champion and individual music for 8 "teams" along with these "mugshots?"
                  Old February 21st, 2012 (9:14 AM).
                  weeb

Quote:
                  Thank you both for your help. If you remember what hack had these "mugshots" then please inform me. I've played a hack of Emerald, I think it was Pokemon Skye or something like that, and they had pokemon from all 5 generations. What are the chances of success of getting all pokemon in a hack of Ruby along with completely new music for towns, routes, battles for the gym leaders, elite four, champion and individual music for 8 "teams" along with these "mugshots?"
                  If you can manipulate the assembly code for these commands (and processes), and it's not over the limits of the computer hardware, then you can do it.

Old February 21st, 2012 (9:25 AM).

Are you referring to trade and such with normal player's or a MMORPG (Mega Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game)? For the furthermost it would be a no. But for the first it may be possible if you are on a laptop that gets a Wi-Fi connection perhaps. I've never used a DS Emulator so I can't be sure.

-------

I mean that i use my R4-FLASHCARD with a hack of Pokemon White with new evolutions/attacks/types (Pokemon Blaze Black).I can use WIFI but I dont know if I can trade/battle with people playing the original Black and White,thats the question^^
                    Old February 21st, 2012 (9:47 AM).
                    Beginning Hacker

Quote:
                      Why yes there is! It's not as simple to use as A-Text but it adds a lot more possibilities. You would have to use a script editor and the scripts are the movements, actions and words that happen during the game. I would recommend XSE (eXtreme Script Editor) in HackMew's Tools Factory. It is very useful but like I said its not easy to use like A-Text so refer to Diego's Scripting Tutorial for information on how to learn.
                      I know quite well what scripting is ;) but what I want is to change what Oak says in the intro, if this is possible with XSE, then please tell me how :P
                      Old February 21st, 2012 (10:01 AM).
                      The Unknown

Quote:
                        I know quite well what scripting is ;) but what I want is to change what Oak says in the intro, if this is possible with XSE, then please tell me how :P
                        I did a quick Google search and I think I found someone who had your same problem. Here is a easiest way to change it without A-Text.

Also if you are in desperate need of using A-Text instead tell me what error your getting, OK? :)

~coming soon~
                        Old February 21st, 2012 (10:04 AM).

Quote:

-------

I mean that i use my R4-FLASHCARD with a hack of Pokemon White with new evolutions/attacks/types (Pokemon Blaze Black).I can use WIFI but I dont know if I can trade/battle with people playing the original Black and White,thats the question^^
                          In theory, it should work. The only forseeable problem I can think of is that the index numbers of the Pokemon in your hack and the index numbers of the Pokemon in the original game don't match, which would only occur if the hack had fakemon. Otherwise, go ahead and try!

Quote:
                          The hack I was thinking of is this one.

Quote:
                          If A-text is giving you problems, the best way would be to convert what Oak says into hex, and search for it with a hex editor. If your error message says something about a blahblahblah .OCX, you can actually download that file online to fix it up.

Old February 21st, 2012 (10:22 AM). Edited February 21st, 2012 by Reygok.
                          Beginning Hacker

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
                            If A-text is giving you problems, the best way would be to convert what Oak says into hex, and search for it with a hex editor. If your error message says something about a blahblahblah .OCX, you can actually download that file online to fix it up.
                            Ahh, thanks, Ill try with Hex :)
                            I already found this .OCX thing online, but that didnt work for me :(
                            Thanks again :)

EDIT: Well, I don't know anything about Hex, I got an Editor now, but I can't find parts of what Oak is saying there. Should I just open the .gba file with the Hex Editor and then saerch for words? Converted into Hex, naturally, but just search?
                            Old February 21st, 2012 (12:14 PM).

Quote:
                              Ahh, thanks, Ill try with Hex :)
                              I already found this .OCX thing online, but that didnt work for me :(
                              Thanks again :)
                              I'll save you the trouble. The hex offsets for the intro are as followed:

0x1C5C78 - Hello there, and Oak introducing himself
                              0x1C5D06 - This world...
                              0x1C5D12 - is inhabited by Pokemon
                              0x1C5D4B - Pokemon as pets, battling, or studying
                              0x1C5DBD - Tell me about yourself
                              0x1C59D5 - Boy or Girl?
                              0x1C5DEA - What's your name?
                              0x1C5E13 - Confirming your name
                              0x1C5E2E - My grandson, what's his name?
                              0x1C5EB5 - Was is [rival]?
                              0x1C5EC5 - I remember!
                              0x1C5EF4 - Final words, a legend begins.

Simply pulling these offsets in XSE won't work. I recommend making a signpost saying "msgbox OFFSET_YOU_WANT_TO_EDIT 0x6", and compiling it. Opening it up again will then display the offset's words, all ready for editing. However, if you need to make a script that's larger than the original, you'll have to repoint.

Old February 21st, 2012 (12:33 PM).
                              Beginning Hacker

Thanks man :D
                                But how can I find strings on my own? Because there are many other things I want to change, too..
                                Old February 21st, 2012 (12:58 PM).
                                weeb

Quote:
                                But how can I find strings on my own? Because there are many other things I want to change, too..
                                This should help.

Or you can use "Advanced Text".

Old February 21st, 2012 (1:09 PM). Edited February 21st, 2012 by Reygok.
                                Beginning Hacker

Again, I don't need a link for diegoisawesome's tutorial, I read it 10 times already and used it a lot for my hack, I have a first town and the beginning of a storyline. I KNOW how to script.
                                  What I want is change the whole Intro of the game (FireRed btw), the Items names, and so on, every little thing that's already in the game and written in CAPITAL letters. I want everything to be written normally, like in the DS games.
                                  That's why I loved A-Text, but it's no longer working, I get that blabla.OCX error, and, no matter what I do, I can't fix it.

@redriders180
                                  Thanks for your help, but I'm hacking a german version, so the offsets don't match here :P

Could the A-Text problem be caused by my Windows 7 64-bit? Because everything I do to fix it involves files with '32' in it?

EDIT: Foget about it, I found the solution :P I wonder why I did not try this earlier: Compatibility Mode. Now A-Text runs smoothly ^^ Now I could use a .ini for a german FireRed...

Whatever, new question:
                                  I want to make it possible to run in houses, following this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=207026
                                  BUT I don't know how to do this, can anybody pls help me?
                                  Old February 21st, 2012 (1:15 PM).

when I was play testing my hack (fire red) while walking along route 15 my game just freezes. I didn't really do anything major that I haven't done to any other route (such as ad any scripts or change trainers). Why would this happen? Is there a way to fix it?
                                    Old February 21st, 2012 (2:22 PM).
                                    The Unknown

Quote:
                                      EDIT: Foget about it, I found the solution :P I wonder why I did not try this earlier: Compatibility Mode. Now A-Text runs smoothly ^^ Now I could use a .ini for a german FireRed...

Whatever, new question:
                                      I want to make it possible to run in houses, following this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=207026
                                      BUT I don't know how to do this, can anybody pls help me?
                                      The German FireRed INI most likely doesn't exist. You would have to have some one make it for you. Or just hack an English version and translaate it to German.

As for the running inside buildings, I had seen that thread long ago but discovered a MUCH easier way of doing it. It won't be the same since you have the German FireRed though but if you use an English version you would go to the offset 0xBD494 in a HEX Editor and change the value from 08 to 00.

Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by quickpokemon View Post
                                      when I was play testing my hack (fire red) while walking along route 15 my game just freezes. I didn't really do anything major that I haven't done to any other route (such as ad any scripts or change trainers). Why would this happen? Is there a way to fix it?
                                      Well that doesn't help us much. Did you change any tile behavior bytes? Maybe a image of A-Map in the Events tab would help us figure out your problem.

~coming soon~
                                      Old February 21st, 2012 (3:10 PM).

Is there any way to make the doors on Emerald behave the same way the doors on Firered do? I mean the number of tiles that the animation uses. If not, It's no big deal and I can just edit the door animations to look like that. And I still haven't been able to figure out how to use the cmda6 command for the snowy grass that I posted 2 pages ago. If someone that knows how to use these things could PM me, I'd appreciate it.
                                        Old February 21st, 2012 (3:27 PM).

Multiquote has officially become my new best friend. I still need to know where the amount of money the player has is stored in memory, so if anyone can tell me, that'd be awesome

Quote:
                                          There's a mini-tutorial on strings about three pages back on this thread. Basically, each letter in the game is a different byte. Just make a long string of bytes to write things, and you can also search for these strings in the ROM to edit them in a hex editor.

Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by darkprince909 View Post
                                          Is there any way to make the doors on Emerald behave the same way the doors on Firered do? I mean the number of tiles that the animation uses. If not, It's no big deal and I can just edit the door animations to look like that. And I still haven't been able to figure out how to use the cmda6 command for the snowy grass that I posted 2 pages ago. If someone that knows how to use these things could PM me, I'd appreciate it.
                                          I thought I'd already cleared this up. I'm almost 100% sure the cmda06 command has nothing to do with the snowy tiles, and instead has something to do with Soot Sack. This is based on a video I saw stating that cmda06 is a way to make tiles do certain ASM code. I do not know in what way this work, but it is not relevant. The snowy/ash grass instead works like a setmaptile command on each grass tile. When you step on it, it changes the snowy grass to the not-snowy grass, and adds a little puff on ash for realism. It won't work right if its got something on the layer above it. This is supported by the original game, where none of the ash grass tiles are behind any trees. The only solution you can do is either turn the ash grass into a tile animation like the tall grass, or not put snowy grass behind a tree. Both of these are easily do-able, as I've seen a post somewhere on the research and development on making different grass animations.

Old February 21st, 2012 (3:37 PM).

Quote:

Well that doesn't help us much. Did you change any tile behavior bytes? Maybe a image of A-Map in the Events tab would help us figure out your problem.
                                            Here is a picture:
                                            once I pass the red line is when my game freezes :(

2labn2o.png
                                            Old February 21st, 2012 (3:43 PM).
                                            weeb

Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by quickpokemon View Post
                                            Here is a picture:
                                            once I pass the red line is when my game freezes :(

Attachment 63502
                                            Try getting a new ROM. Sometimes these things happen, and the only way to solve them is to start all over again.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply