• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeregrineFig

Starting Pokémon Obsidian
Years
How can I edit the text in pokemon ruby? Advance text doesn't go past the first route and I can't script to save my life. I have searched for about an hour and haven't found anything helpful on this.

Read some tutorials and learn to script, it will open a thousand doors in ROM hacking. Once you get the hang of it, editing text will be incredibly easy :)

Years
  • Seen May 21, 2011
Hey, just wondering, I was told to use a "Map Script" for an event that I wanted to happen. After reading the tutorial on how to insert a map script, I realized that my Advance Map doesn't have the header option to create a map script. I've looked everywhere on it and I can't find it...

I'm using 1.92,
thanks in advance

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Hey, just wondering, I was told to use a "Map Script" for an event that I wanted to happen. After reading the tutorial on how to insert a map script, I realized that my Advance Map doesn't have the header option to create a map script. I've looked everywhere on it and I can't find it...

I'm using 1.92,
thanks in advance

Try toggling "Professional Header View" in the Settings menu (Crtl + H)?

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2015
I can't get A-Trainer to work! I've tried with a clean ROM of both Ruby and FR but I keep getting the following error.

20100509|211134|5.1.2600|0.9.1|DrawTile8|9|modLZ77|Subscript out of range|3

Any ideas on how to make it work?

ElBurrito

[COLOR=#0543a8][FONT="Press Start 2P"]I'm not just
Years
Is there a way to edit the conest stats of attacks? because if there is then that would make game a lot more fun. im also wandering if there is a way to change the name's of types.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
I've got a question: how do you edit an attack name? Is there a tool for it, and, if there is, can you give me a link?

Yes, I know that's three questions.

PeregrineFig

Years
I'm trying to tackle learning ASM now, as I have an excellent handle on scripting and know my way around a hex editor. But it's proving to be more difficult than I thought. I tried the little challenge thing on HackMew's tutorial, where my ASM routine should return the ID and secret ID values to two variables. It sends the secret id value to 800D like it's supposed to, but the value returned to 8000 is 2. Can anyone spot the problem? Thanks in advance.

Spoiler:

Edit: I tinkered with it, and oddly, now the value returned to 8000 every time is 28856. :/ I made a new file to test it and got the same result.

Last edited:

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
I'm no expert with ASM but wouldn't it need to be like such:
Code:
main:
    push {r0-r1, lr}
    ldr r0, .PLAYER_DATA
    ldr r0, [r0]
    ldr r1, .VAR
    ldrh r0, [r0, #0xA]
    strh r0, [r1]
    ldr r0, .PLAYER_DATA
    ldr r0, [r0]
    ldrh r0, [r0, #0xC]
    strh r0, [r1, #0x2]
    pop {r0-r1, pc}

ElBurrito

[COLOR=#0543a8][FONT="Press Start 2P"]I'm not just
Years
I've got a question: how do you edit an attack name? Is there a tool for it, and, if there is, can you give me a link?

Yes, I know that's three questions.

Follow this link and download. A-Tack. You can edit attack names, attack power, pp, and added effects of the attack.

LINK:

Years
  • Seen Feb 23, 2014
Anyone know why an exp.share item is causing my game to crash in my hack? Its in ruby, and all of the events to acquire the exp share talking to the devon president to get it work just fine, but whenever I try and go to in it my inventory or give it to one of my pokemon is causes the game to just crash. I haven't done anything with the item at all, so I don't know why this is happening. Anyone know how to fix it?

Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2010
items

1.does anyone know how i can add items on routes using advance map?

2.does anyone know any good scripting programs

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Pokeballs that disappear and how do you choose what items inside of it

Download XSE and when you have it open, click on Help > Guide (F2) in the top bar. Expand the directory called "XSE - Comprehensive Scripting Guide", then expand "Practical Classroom", and finally open the page titled "Items". There's a lot of good information there about item scripts, including a section dedicated to item-giving Pokéballs not halfway down the page. No offense to Team Fail but the method described in that section is much less complex than his and it will take up much, much less space in your ROM.

Also, before you skip directly to the "Nintendo Pokéball Styled Items" section, I would recommend reading the entire Items section first. Heck, you might as well read the entire guide. It's a fine way to learn how to script.

PeregrineFig

Years
I made my ASM code work, but it uses 4 registers instead of 2. So, I was wondering if anyone knows a good ASM tutorial document for Pokemon hacking, not general development. HackMew's only has one real lesson in it, and it left a few holes in my understanding. (Although I hope he updates it, as HackMew has written some fantastic routines)

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
I made my ASM code work, but it uses 4 registers instead of 2. So, I was wondering if anyone knows a good ASM tutorial document for Pokemon hacking, not general development. HackMew's only has one real lesson in it, and it left a few holes in my understanding. (Although I hope he updates it, as HackMew has written some fantastic routines)

I recommend JPAN's tutorial. It's got some broad information on ASM that doesn't apply only to Pokémon.

Years
  • Seen Feb 23, 2014
In my hack, whenever I try and access an exp.share item in my inventory, the game crashes. Everything else in the hack works fine except this. Anyone know why or how to fix it?

EDIT: After tying to check the item out in an item editing program, that program also crashes. It works for every other item but the exp.share.

Last edited:

PeregrineFig

Years
In my hack, whenever I try and access an exp.share item in my inventory, the game crashes. Everything else in the hack works fine except this. Anyone know why or how to fix it?

EDIT: After tying to check the item out in an item editing program, that program also crashes. It works for every other item but the exp.share.

A piece of data was corrupted in the exp share's code. Basically, your options are to not use the Exp Share, or restart your hack. A better way, though, is to look at the Exp Share in a clean ROM, write down ALL the information (names, numbers, offsets) except for description, you have to manually retype that and put it on a new offset, then copy all that into one of the ???s in your hack and use that index number instead. It's possible the ASM code for the item has a mechanism to check the index number, though, and if that's the case you'll have to resort to one of the first two things I mentioned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back