• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Dark-type: Shafted from the start!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Ever since it was introduced in the Generation 2 games... the Dark-type has been shoved to the side. The only type NOT to get a gym but be represented in the Elite Four instead (and definitely in evil teams). The Steel-type, also introduced at the same time, had a gym.

But for now let's pretend we can change history. If there was a Dark-type gym in these games - who knows what could have happened in future ones?!

So! Fun little theories to discuss below:

a) Where would have you put a Dark-type gym in these games? Who would have led it? The same as the E4? What would have you had in this theoretical gym?! Did... it deserve a gym then, too?

b) What would have you put in the E4 instead to replace the Dark E4 member?

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
If there was a Dark-type gym then Dark-type Pok?mon should have also been accessible earlier on. It's unfortunate that most Dark-types are only available later on or post-game (with the exception of Umbreon) because they're kinda underrepresented in the entire game.

In my opinion the third gym should've been Dark-type, coupled with some Dark-types appearing around Ecruteak (Houndour in Burned Tower?). And in the E4 I'd have added a Water or Fire-type trainer.

BronzeSwagger

Sugar&Spice
Years
Thing is with the E4 was that each type that was represented had a effectiveness pattern

Will/Psychic > Defeats Poison
Koga/Poison > Resists Fighting
Bruno/Fighting > Defeats Dark
Karen/Dark > Resists Psychic (In the form of a immunity as a exception)

But if they wanted to not have a pattern, I think a Dark-type Gym could've easily been placed in Mahogony Town and Karen as the leader. As the Ice Gym in my opinion made no sense being there during the old GSC and even the HG/SS games because it was not a snowy climate, yet somehow the Gym (despite outside tempertures) could be freezing winter on the inside.

As a result, Lorelei could have had her presence known and could've replaced Karen's spot as the final E4. As a result though its current pattern would be gone, but a new pattern could've been.

Will/Psychic > Defeats Poison
Koga/Poison > Weak to Psychic
Bruno/Fighting > Defeats Ice
Lorelei/Ice > Weak to Fighting

This is the only way I could of found it ideal for a Dark-type Gym to have ever been present. Probably whether Gen 2, or any other Gen. But with that said, its not been a reality for good reason behind its lore of what the Dark-type represents.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I actually like the third gym being dark... I mean, the whole city gives off a dark sort of vibe. So many sad things happened there and ghosts living there is creepier (well not SO many but still a tower burning is a pretty dark thing to have happened)... actually they could have made that fire-type too... what an interesting city!

And Mahogany I dunno. The area doesn't exactly seem shrouded by darkness or mystery, unfortunately. I would have maybe placed it... hm. Azalea was pretty creepy honestly, and would've been great for the whole dark atmosphere (but then you would lose bug :C)

Back