• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[All Gen] Greatest Protagonist

Greatest Protagonist of Pokemon's Core Series

• Silent Red

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Golden Boy: Ethan/Gold

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Hoenn Champion Brendan

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Savior of Sinnoh: Lucas

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • The Hero: Hilbert

• Nate of Unova

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Calem of Kalos

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Wes

• Total voters

Splash

But nothing happened.
Years
The name says it all. Who do you think is the greatest protagonist? Is the Silent Red? Or Ethan who challenged him? The Sinnoh Savior Lucas? Brendan from Hoenn? Will Hilbert take the crown? Or Will Calem or Nate take the lead?

Your Free to also choose their female counterpart.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Only game protags? Hmm. Also I'll move this over to Pokémon Polls :3

I think I prefer Gold, Crys/Lyra and Sapphire/May! Both in terms of appearance and their adventures. Johto has a special place in my heart, and the Hoenn adventure was certainly a step up in intensity from the previous generations. May always looked a lot better than the male counterpart, imo.

Altius

Flygon Fan
Years
I didn't start with Gen I, but I must vote for Red.

He's actually really badass. As a 10 year old he trashed an entire evil corporation, destroyed his rival and then reside at the peak of Mt. Silver. Of course, Gold went to challenge him but I still think Red is crazy (in a good way).

Logical Cabbage

A Very Big Altaria Fan
Years
Definitely Silent Red for me! He's awesome every single way, and what Slayerz96 said, he did a lot of things at the sole age of ten. It's not like your average joe can defeat Team Rocket like that.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Hilda is my favorite, with Rosa as a close second. Unova and the 5th generation holds a special place in my heart, and therefore so does Hilda, particularly because of Black and White's story.

Red is overrated

Years
My favourite protagonists are Gold, May, Leaf and Brendan and maybe Hilda if I was making it a top 5.

If I had to pick just one as my ultimate fave... then it would definitely the Golden Boy haha, Gold :)

He was the first ever protagonist I ever played as; he dominates two regions; his design is the best imo (I just love his colour scheme haha) and PLUS, he wears his hat backwards like a boss lol :)

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
Blue/Leaf (though I see her as blue) is my favorite female protag. Love her story in the manga, love her appearance, love her Pokemon choices. I feel like she isn't recognized as much sometimes which makes me a lil sad, but oh well.

blue

gucci
Years
Brendan is my favourite. The other's just arent' as interesting to me, they all seem pretty similar to one another, especially looks wise.

Splash

But nothing happened.
Years
The greatest protag for me is was and will always be red. He strives to be a great pokemon trainer by training nonstop and I dont think he's overrated because not many will climb a mountain full of strong pokemon just to train and become a better trainer.. Surpassing yourself is the hardest task to achieve and red is doing everything he can to make that happen.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Not aware of any character traits or anything so I'm left to choose based solely on design, so for me, Rosa is my favorite. Props to Wes too, that dude had swagger.

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
Definitely Lucas. He's easily the most well dressed of all the protagonists, beat the defeated the toughest Champion in the series. Oh and he also saved the World. So definitely Lucas for me.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
Red is my favorite but calem is more fun and talkative lol

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
From games, one of my most favorite would definitely have to be Red. Clothes that he wear looks very much suitable for a Pokémon trainer, on top of that, he also plays role as a master-trainer (or pusedo-champion, if we prefer) in Gold, Silver, and Crystal, which, I believe, is pretty cool. Plus, this person is also meaning to be the main counterpart to Ash, which no other trainers are.

As for second, it would more or less have to be Brendan. He looks seem confident, and his outfit is also pretty unique. It seems very fitting when travelling around a region like Hoenn, considering that it's tropical and whatnot.

Few of my other favorites are May, Ethan, and the protagonists from X and Y (can't seem to recall their name at the moment).

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
To be honest, there really isn't all that much to the protagonists in Pokémon games. They're all just silent, passive, and just told what to do by NPCs. I voted for Hilbert/Hilda because their role as a hero had the greatest build-up to taking down a criminal group. This has nothing to do with bias on who I enjoyed playing as most/who looks coolest (I think Dawn, Calem, and Brendan as depicted in Emerald artwork look coolest.) To be honest, I feel like I'm just voting for which game I think had the best plot. :P

I have no knowledge of Wes beyond the webcomic Pokequest, so I had to immediately disqualify him. ^ ^; Sorry Wes...

Back