• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Morality

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
(yes, the titles were on purpose :P)

A lot of games offer choices and decisions you can make that alter your character's alignment, reputation with other characters or morality - sometimes this is done more subtly, sometimes it's quite obvious which options put you on the "good" or "bad" path.

What are some games you think have a good/bad morality system? Do you think you have a tendency to pick one or the other, or do you tend to walk a more of a neutral path? Does it depend on the game? Would you sometimes play the game again just to see what the outcomes would be on the other side?

TY

Can't think of a game I have played that had an actual morality system, although if there was I'd be downright evil

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
I went down the evil path in inFamous, only because the red electricity looked cool.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
i LOVE morality systems in games, at least when it pertains to the MC's relationship with other characters. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 was the first game where I really thought about it, but since I'm pretty sure I've played many more. Detroit: Become Human is an obvious example ;)

It's especially fun in games with RPG elements that lets your playthroughs be different depending on where you stand in the eyes of the law, "the Force" or with your friends and enemies. Adds a bit of realism to game worlds who otherwise might not seem to be much affected by your choices.

I definitely tend to be super good the first time I play any such game, haha. I want the best ending to be my true first ending, because that's how I'll judge the game, that'll be my measure point for all other runs etc haha, the first impression.

With Detroit, it was a bit different though, as I first watched my bf play and he didn't go all 100% goodiegood. But I was distant enough from that to still feel like my super pacifist playthrough was the true one for me ^^

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Believe it or not, an old game I got back into playing has a morality system built in based on the path you choose to take. The game has six major story lines and with a bit of digging online, one can figure out how to start each specific one. One such path is the Federation storyline. As you find out in playing it, the Federation has been subtly overthrown by a secretive Intelligence branch known as the Bureau of Internal Investigation. They circumvent the laws on the books and trample the rights of every day citizens by arresting and imprisoning anyone who might dare oppose them(instilling fear by doing so).

Upon entering the storyline, a main character in the story begins testing you and ultimately you must decide on whether to remain loyal to said Bureau or defy it and join the Rebellion(another major story path). In other words, you must decide if you stand for equal justice under the law or are you morally corrupt and the Universe must be united under one way of thinking.

Kai

Wayfarer
Years
inFAMOUS and inFAMOUS 2 had a pretty good morality system. I think being a hero in these games was more rewarding due to the extra effort required to stay on the good path and the positive reactions from the npcs that are helped.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
One of the earliest games I played that had a morality system was Fable 2 - it actually has several alignments you can be on a spectrum for, like pure/corrupt, loved/hated, attractive/ugly, and all these things affect NPCs opinions of you, and subsequently how they will treat you. It wasn't that refined in practice and was a little clunky sometimes, but I really loved the concept!

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 15, 2022
Fallout 1, 2 and NV all have pretty robust morality systems. NV in particular has a very complex, grey area for all the options. Even the horrific raping slavers of the Legion can be presented in a very grey light by their leadership.

Usually on NV I either side with the NCR or go Independent. I honestly find it less enjoyable killing people for no reason or helping House or the Legion.

pkmin3033

I actually really like Dragon Age II's morality system because it lets you be a snarky sarcastic jerk and everyone still loves you for it. It's not especially well designed or anything, it just makes for fantastic dialogue. xD;

The first two Mass Effect games were similarly fun for the Renegade path, especially in the second game, when you could make spontaneous choices...like shoving people out the window when they have nothing more to say to you. Stepping to one side and letting people take bullets. Etc. It's just so much fun being evil, especially when your eyes start glowing the stereotypical red. xD

Honestly, I don't think any game has what I would call a "good" morality system, because it's always so black-and-white. Doing this is good, doing that is bad, and your choices don't really stack up properly or have a lasting effect. There's never any "doing evil in the name of good" or acknowledgement that you've done a good deed when you've been slaughtering people up to this point.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I went down the evil path in inFamous, only because the red electricity looked cool.

Yeah, recently did both of this game. This is a big one, as it allows you to essentially replay the whole thing. I only wish the story was more impacted, but maybe more in the sequels I haven't gotten to yet. In the first game, it's mostly just a gameplay thing than anything.

The story is canonically (and better) in good mode, but the game itself is more fun evil; and the best way to beat it on hard is being evil, as you wind up the most powerful. Evil powers tend to be more combat useful too.

Looking forward to what 2 can do. From what I've read, it seems the story does change more based on allegiances, so I look forward to that.

CrimsonMajestic

From Dusk to Dawn
Years
I'm surprised the Shin Megami Tensei series has not been referenced here. To my knowledge, even the non-core games (the term I want to use here is escaping me at the moment) have moral choices presented to you.

Also, I believe morality (as far as the choices you make) is a major theme throughout the series.

Back