• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you miss the pixel art of old games?

IRON NIDOW

I'm a talking dog
Years
oh yeah I miss the pixel art it gives so much personality to every monster, its like a picture of the 'soul' of the pokemon, I love how Ninetales in yellow show his 'magestic pose', or Gengar intimidating in a manner of a imminent attack, Blastoise rushing at the opponent, or hitmonlee giving a cool kick, those, smiles, jumps, attackings, and looking poses add a lot to monsters personalities, in models they usually stays in iddle pose, acting like empty souls, only when they attack is where they show personality, ofc going to models is the correct way of develop and evolve the franchise to recent market, but usually they feel a bit off.

what do you think?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 10, 2022
I'm an old school fan and I miss so much sprites! 3d models are pretty basic and idle, also colors are a little washed out. Gen 2 sprites were great, Gen 3 sprites were sort of "tropical" with bright colors and cool positions. Gen 4 were very polite and good looking and Gen 5 even more accurate (Scizor wings for example). When Gen 6 came out I was very disappointed, but ORAS got me back in track =)

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I liked how some of the Gen 1 sprites looked, Pokemon resembled real animals.

But I still prefer today's style. They feel more alive, and I like it more than the sprites sitting motionless.

MudkipBoy

Ruby/Sapphire Veteran
Years
  • Seen Feb 15, 2024
I'm replaying Pokemon Black and I'm surprised by just how much I'm enjoying the old sprite-based gameplay. The Pokemon are so animated, whereas the 3D models tend to just...breathe, I guess. I never finished this game the first time around but I'm being steadily more tempted because the game looks so good.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Gen 2 best sprites ever 0: I miss them super much and I still love playing those games because the art is just perfect in them.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Yeeeepppp. Pokemon G/S/C graphics were the absolute best. Nothing else comes close. BW was nice, and the two gens before it were... not as realistic imo. Current graphics I'm not too much of a fan of. Would have preferred if they were exactly like G/S/C.

pkmin3033

YES, terribly. The models of the 3DS titles are, quite frankly, garbage. They look like washed-out plasticine and lack the personality and charm of sprites from the previous generations.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
As much as I like the current models (which sadly haven't changed within two generations), how else are we supposed to make sprite edits?

Back