• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen Talonflame or Salazzle?

Which Fire-type pokemon should I include on my team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
I'm currently playing Pokemon Moon and I'm looking for a fire type to accompany me on my journey through Alola. I don't know if I should go with a Fletching or a Salandit. I adore the design concepts of both. Salandit/Salazzle has a more unique typing which is convenient considering my team shares weaknesses to Steel and Poison types. However, Talonflame is slightly faster and a physical attacker may be more necessary, considering my team is currently more inclined in terms of special attack. Thoughts?

My team so far: Brionne, Ribbombee, Drifloon, Formantis

Also, any suggestions for my 6th pokemon? Ideally, I would love to have an Alolan Ninetales, although, unfortunately I have moon and an unable to catch one. (Unless, perhaps I can maybe trade?)

dannymusic

The Smiling Trombonist
Years
Personally, I enjoyed using Alolan Marowak as my fire type in-game. But I would give the edge to Salazzle over Talonflame. Salandit's Dragon Rage is super useful early on, as is Flame Charge, whereas it takes Fletchling a while to learn its best moves. Plus, there's an in-game trade for a very good Talonflame with Gale Wings muuuuuch later in the game. And if you don't know this already, if you go for Salandit, make sure that you get a female one, since male ones can't evolve!

Last edited:
Years
I would go with Salazzle too. I like its design more that Talonflame and its typing is just lovely. I used one in Sun and it was one of the best Pokémon on the team.

If you would like I can breed you Alolan Vulpix and trade it to you.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I would go with Salazzle too. I like its design more that Talonflame and its typing is just lovely. I used one in Sun and it was one of the best Pokémon on the team.

If you would like I can breed you Alolan Vulpix and trade it to you.

Just want to add that if he breeds you one, try and get one with Freeze Dry. The move alone is worth it due to its special advantage towards Water Types. Speaking of Vulpix, if I was to ever break down and get a new Nintendo handheld system(my Berry GBC still works tyvm), I'd do so for Pokemon Sun simply because it has Vulpix.

Also, just throwing it out there but what about Turtonator? I know it's speed sucks but speed isn't everything.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
Salazzle has a good Sp. Atk stat along with admirable Speed.

Although her movepool is barren, it's usable in some situations. Nasty Plot is a good setup move, but be sure to carry plenty of X Defends and X Sp. Defs.

Talonflame got massively nerfed this generation, as Gale Wings becomes obsolete if it loses even the slightest bit of HP. Flame Body is only useful for breeding purposes, but if you're looking for a little bit of challenge, then go for it.

Years
did you get your Alolan Vulpix yet? :o

if not, I think Salazzle would probably be your better option over Talonflame. Gale Wings nerf hurt Talonflame pretty badly.

Last edited:

Resolve

I have it
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 2, 2020
Better go with Salazzle. Talonflame is nothing without Gale Wings and its former glory.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
While I find Salazzle's design rather... unusual, and personally prefer Talonflame, I'd say Salazzle is the better option here. It does have an amazing typing, as well as great special attack, a nice movepool, and a cool ability!

Otherwise, I'd just go with whichever Pokémon I like best, really. ^_^

Years
did you get your Alolan Vulpix yet? :o

if not, I think Salazzle would probably be your better option over Talonflame. Gale Wings nerf hurt Talonflame pretty badly.

I did and she's currently a Ninetales who's extremely overleveled. She's a wonderful member of my team, though! Anyways, I ended up going with Salazzle and I'm glad I did, as her typing is wonderful and she's proven herself to be very useful.

Aurane

💀
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 2, 2018
Salazzle is better option, in my opinion. Though, if you want a physical attacking Fire-Type, just use A-Marowak.

blue

gucci
Years
Salazzle is definitely worth using. It helped me out so much during my first Moon playthrough and in a region with predominantly slow Pok?mon, that high speed stat comes in handy.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 17, 2019
i found that salazzle couldn't take a hit to save it's life
talonflame is also flying and theyve always seemed a little tougher to me
personally i used alolan marowak

GottaKetchumAll700

Champion of Champions
Years
Salazzle can't take hits very well, but it does seem to have a decent speed stat. If you train it well, it could become quite the sweeper as long as it's faster than the opponents.

Years
I'm with Team Salazzle here. I actually used her in my original Moon and she was a notably good Pokemon with that speed (despite the one I had having a negative nature for it) and power. Talonflame has the speed and strong moves, but Gale Wings was the one thing most people used it for.

Just remember that you'll have to spend time searching for that elusive female Salandit.

Back