The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games Fan Games Hub
Map Showcase and Review

Fan Games Hub General discussions about all things fan games. Topics relating to both ROM hacks and custom games are welcome here. Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.

Old April 3rd, 2017 (7:51 AM). Edited April 3rd, 2017 by buttjuice.

Nature: Lax
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilbluedemon View Post
    I like this alot, but, my only bug bare is the bottom half is too simplistic, and bare, compared to the upper half.
    I like the layout to your route, it looks really nice but the difference in greens (mostly in the wild grass) is a turnoff.

Not sure how everybody gets the nice pretty screenshot D:
    But here's my route 1
    Made with RPGMakerXP
    Spoiler:

Relevant Advertising!

Old April 3rd, 2017 (10:52 AM).

Nature: Serious
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buttjuice View Post
    I like the layout to your route, it looks really nice but the difference in greens (mostly in the wild grass) is a turnoff.

But here's my route 1
    Made with RPGMakerXP
    Spoiler:
    I like the layout but the map looks too cramped, and I'm not a fan of two block wide paths, especially that long one on the right side of the map, it's too plain.

Also, the pond looks like it's just there so that there's a bridge. I think making it bigger or adding more ponds, or just removing it, would be better. The graves are a nice touch so make that the highlight of the map; maybe make it a proper graveyard or add a special tree in the middle.
    Old April 6th, 2017 (1:30 AM).
    Second-rate hack

Quote:
      Originally Posted by buttjuice View Post

But here's my route 1
      Made with RPGMakerXP
      Spoiler:
      I like the map overall, but I think you should try to spice up the column on the right side of the map. A straight shot up isn't super interesting for the player to traverse, it doesn't give them anything to look at or do besides hold up. I think 2 tile wide paths can be acceptable as long as you have room to move outside of the designated path, so maybe try to widen out that area and curve it around and stuff? Whatever you think would look best.

Anyway, here's my map:
      Spoiler:

I did some photoshop magic to add in the weather effect so you can see it the way the player does in-game. It doesn't look as nice without it :P

Anyway, I was trying to give off a "Fairy Forest" or "Hidden Garden" kinda vibe, as it's the main place in my game to get Fairy-type Pokémon. I know the water and paths and stuff aren't in the same style you'd see in a typical Pokémon game, I was trying some new stuff out. I'm not 100% sold on any of it, I'd like to know what other people think :)
      Old April 29th, 2017 (5:01 PM).
      RPG Maker VX Ace Scripter

Nature: Quirky
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Dyskinesia View Post
        Anyway, here's my map:
        Spoiler:

I did some photoshop magic to add in the weather effect so you can see it the way the player does in-game. It doesn't look as nice without it :P

Anyway, I was trying to give off a "Fairy Forest" or "Hidden Garden" kinda vibe, as it's the main place in my game to get Fairy-type Pokémon. I know the water and paths and stuff aren't in the same style you'd see in a typical Pokémon game, I was trying some new stuff out. I'm not 100% sold on any of it, I'd like to know what other people think :)
        Overall, I think it looks very good. Some of the bodies of water do look a bit weird, but its nothing major. Other than that, everything looks pretty normal. The fog does give the area some form of mystique to it. Nice touch!

Now on to my map:
        Spoiler:

I do see this map as a work in progress. I still feel like parts of the city portion feel empty and the pier still looks kinda off to me. I'm still fairly new to the process of mapping. Does it look passable? Note that it does bleed onto the next route that's why the building at the very top is cut off.

Old May 4th, 2017 (4:35 PM).

Game: Pokémon lucky fortune (Working Title)
          Made with: Advance Map 1.92
          Name: leaf wood town
          here's a map to my first hack that am working on may have some errors trying to work that out.
          Attached Images
          File Type: png leafwood.png‎ (39.3 KB, 42 views) (Save to Dropbox)
          Old May 5th, 2017 (5:02 AM).
          Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla

Nature: Lax
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by imninten View Post
            Game: Pokémon lucky fortune (Working Title)
            Made with: Advance Map 1.92
            Name: leaf wood town
            here's a map to my first hack that am working on may have some errors trying to work that out.
            It's quite simple, but it's a good map for starting out purposes! There are, however, quite a bit of tile errors. I'll go into each one below.

Firstly, your pathways:
            Spoiler:

A lot of them don't end properly, or connect properly. I'd give them another look, then look at the available tiles in the tileset. If some don't exist, you might need to make some new tiles using AdvanceMap's tile editor. Don't be afraid to fiddle with it to try and make something, but always be sure to make backups just in case!

Another issue is with your trees. While you got a lot of them right, there are a few cases where you mistakenly used the wrong tile, and as a result it doesn't look correct.

Compare the top part of the tree on the right to the top part of the tree on the left. The tree on the left is using the tile you would use when you have a tree that connects further upward. Not to mention, the tree below it is missing the top half of the tree, as seen by the line of trees next to it. This happens quite a bit in your lines, so I'd go over to make sure that all your trees have the correct tiles.

Next up, the fences:

Simple little thing, you didn't use the straight piece to go across, and instead used the corner piece.

And to close off, houses:

On this particular house, you've used the tile where the upper part of the door frame is over one of the windows. Just below that tile, you've used the same one, instead of the tile that defines the bottom part of the house. Off to the corner, you used the wrong tile for bringing it down to the ground (see your other red house for the correct example there). You also forgot to give the door a doorframe (this is missing in all three houses, so I'll just point it out here instead).

First of all, I love the use of the tiles to make a bit of a different small house, gets a thumbs up from me! However, there is still an issue with it. Aside from the doorframe, the window is cut off abruptly. I would suggest removing it and placing a plain tile wall tile there, or shortening/lengthening the width of the house by one to accommodate the windows properly.

That's about all I can say I believe! Work on polishing those tile errors, and you'll have yourself a pretty simple, yet respectable, map!
            For more information future news and updates to any projects, the following blogs are where I post information. You can usually hit me with a message there when it comes to bug reports or feedback, or general conversation about something.
            Game Projects:
            In Progress:
            Old May 13th, 2017 (2:53 PM).
            Pixel artist, professional leo

Nature: Bold
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Ray Maverick View Post
              showing off my map now:
              Credits: Kyledove, WesleyFG, Alistair, Zein, Zeikku, Zeo, EVoLiNa, Phyromatical, Dewitty, Magiscarf, PeekyChew (I think that's all, hopefully I didn't forget anyone)
              Can't put the link in the quote yet, because I'm not on 5 posts yet, haha.

I like this! I feel like it's really very spaceous, though. I feel like at some spots your screen resolution would have to be quite high to keep the content in the viewport interesting. Maybe tile-wise it would be interesting to experiment with shadows a little?
              Old May 13th, 2017 (4:18 PM).
              Pixel artist, professional leo

Nature: Bold
                Sorry for double-posting, but now that I've reached my 5 post minimum I can post my own map!

All tiles are made by yours truly. This is supposed to be the "Route 1" of my upcoming project. Mapping-wise I didn't want to go too crazy; just very much in line with something Game Freak would do. The player moves from south to north.

It's been a while since I've mapped, but I'm really curious about what you guys think!
                Old May 13th, 2017 (4:41 PM).

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Dew 2.0 View Post
                  Sorry for double-posting, but now that I've reached my 5 post minimum I can post my own map!

All tiles are made by yours truly. This is supposed to be the "Route 1" of my upcoming project. Mapping-wise I didn't want to go too crazy; just very much in line with something Game Freak would do. The player moves from south to north.

It's been a while since I've mapped, but I'm really curious about what you guys think!
                  Impressive map. I really love how it looks.
                  Old May 21st, 2017 (9:20 PM). Edited May 23rd, 2017 by Ray Maverick.

Nature: Lonely

*Grass and the rare Pokemon in it aren't accessible until you get Cut (there's a thorny vine blocking your way)

I didn't pay much attention in the places of the map where the player can't see in-game (you can only see 5 tiles max up/down, 7 tiles max left/right) as anything beyond that is irrelevant

Credits: TheRedEx, Kyledove, WesleyFG, Alistair, Zein, Zeo, Saurav, EVoLiNa, Phyromatical, Dewitty, Magiscarf, PeekyChew, zetavares852

*** Open Blue OOC ***
                  Old June 1st, 2017 (3:15 AM). Edited June 1st, 2017 by Angeldelivery.

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Ray Maverick View Post
                    Spoiler:

*Grass and the rare Pokemon in it aren't accessible until you get Cut (there's a thorny vine blocking your way)

I didn't pay much attention in the places of the map where the player can't see in-game (you can only see 5 tiles max up/down, 7 tiles max left/right) as anything beyond that is irrelevant

Credits: TheRedEx, Kyledove, WesleyFG, Alistair, Zein, Zeo, Saurav, EVoLiNa, Phyromatical, Dewitty, Magiscarf, PeekyChew, zetavares852
                    I like the overall map. The ponds in the middle are kinda looks placed really randomly which does not make much sens imo. But other than that I quite like it. Not a big fan of those tiles but not too bad at all. Also why only 2 houses?

Here is my first map after almost 3-4 years. I'm quite happy of how tiles and map turned out. There are some errors mainly when tiles are overlapping so please don't point those out. Hope you like it.

dA
                    Old June 3rd, 2017 (2:29 AM). Edited June 3rd, 2017 by TypicalJalapeno.

Well, the map's is in progress but still, I need suggestions on how to improve it (I know I suck in these graphic things).

Old June 3rd, 2017 (2:52 AM).

I can see minor tile errors but overall the map is decent (just lower the contrast of the wild grass).
                        Old June 4th, 2017 (8:16 PM).
                        Damien.aspiring.fandev Damien.aspiring.fandev is offline
                        ♫ └༼ຈل͜ຈ༽┐♫ O E A E A U E I O E A ♫ └༼ຈل͜ຈ༽┐ ♫

Nature: Jolly
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by TypicalJalapeno View Post
                          STUFF
                          Greetings, fan-dev in the making!^^
                          Your map looks actually good enough for a RSE styled one, although
                          if I were you I'd try smoothing the borders and maybe adding a coastline.
                          Of course, whether one may think the result is good or not it depends on
                          what exactly you're trying to achieve.
                          Cheers!
                          Shall unite every people from this very nation!
                          Denouncing the creepiness of one odd bond,
                          Reducing my domains to little and nothing beyond.
                          Damien watches the anime, but not during the night,
                          Surrender now, for I wish not to fight!

Want some gen5 apricorn balls?
                          Old June 5th, 2017 (6:03 PM). Edited June 5th, 2017 by blockmaster3.

Typicaljalepeno, your world map looks big!! That is a good thing, and I also think if you smooth the borders, it would look more realistic and appealing

I am a beginner game developer and would like to post a map for review! Here is a photo of one of my first routes in my game. It's supposed to be a big route, with a emerald battle factory style battleground on the middle left of the route(two dirt squares), and tons of trainers to battle along the route. I would appreciate any feedback, thanks! Excuse any tile errors, I still need to polish up the map at some point once I make more progress on the main part of my game.
                            Attached Images
                            File Type: png map.PNG‎ (91.7 KB, 48 views) (Save to Dropbox)
                            Old June 6th, 2017 (5:41 AM).

Well, what I can say is that it is awesome. I really like the idea of flower beds. I want to point out that the sandy area (the one surrounding bicycles) doesn't close well, maybe you used the wrong tile? Overall, a decent one :)
                              Old June 6th, 2017 (6:11 AM).

Can I ask something about those cool-looking things near the wild grass (upper left area)? Would the player be directed there or an item will lie there as one would not prefer to go in that area to battle (possibly trainers) there. Do the right two cliffs (idk what to name them, don't know :P) have a tileset error or are they intended? Keep up the good work :) *likes your post*

Anyways, here's my map: (need to know whether these custom tiles are good looking or not)

Old June 6th, 2017 (10:58 AM).

I personally don't like the orange roofs on the two towers, but I like the yellow tiles going on around your city, such as at the bottom right. You should change up the orange colours. And thank you for your kind feedback! I will get back to working on the mapping later after I work on some fun parts of my game :D
                                  Old June 6th, 2017 (11:02 AM).

You are right about the upper left area, as trainers will be there that one may want to avoid. The cliffs on the right of my route are indeed a tileset error I have yet to fix.
                                    Old June 7th, 2017 (1:15 AM).

And what 'bout this snow map?

Old June 7th, 2017 (5:05 AM).

I like it a lot!! Maybe put something in the centre of the map(in between gym and poke mart), to make map seem less open. Maybe you could put benches or something?(like snowbelle city in x and y). But thats just my opinion. Good map!!
                                        Old June 7th, 2017 (6:02 AM).
                                        TypicalJalapeno TypicalJalapeno is offline

Oh! Excellent idea! Gonna implement it :) Thanks a lot!
                                          Old June 8th, 2017 (7:46 AM).

No problem! Glad I could help!

I just completed another map yesterday, its a town called Avon Island, nestled on a mountain, a pretty generic map. It gets destroyed in my game :O
                                            Attached Images
                                            File Type: png Avon Island.PNG‎ (38.1 KB, 43 views) (Save to Dropbox)
                                            Old June 10th, 2017 (11:04 AM). Edited June 10th, 2017 by Ray Maverick.
                                            Ray Maverick Ray Maverick is online now

Nature: Lonely
                                            Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by TypicalJalapeno View Post
                                            And what 'bout this snow map?

the map seems a bit too open with nothing much going on in it. I suggest keeping in mind the player's view when mapping. player's view is somewhat limited (5 tiles up/down, 7 left/right), so if he ends up seeing not much at times, he may get bored. at least I know I do

Putting everything in this map (the mountain walls, the houses) a bit closer to each other might help with that.

The two items at the bottom seem a bit too easy too obtain

otherwise good map

here's my map:

you can jump from rock to rock
                                            credits: Peekychew (for castle and other tiles + inspiration from his map), WaH, ~Trebuh~, Phyromatical, WesleyFG, Zein, Zeikaro, Zeo, Alistair, Kyledove

*** Open Blue OOC ***
                                            Old June 13th, 2017 (8:36 AM). Edited June 13th, 2017 by blockmaster3.
                                            blockmaster3 blockmaster3 is offline

Wow! Nothing bad about the map at all! Looks great! I like all the different paths you can take, through the caves, and the scenery looks good! At the moment, I can't think of any constructive criticsm to give you! There is a lot of things going on in the route, it looks like, but you have organized the route in a nice way, I think. Keep up the good work!

I would like to share a screenshot of a 250 by 250 route I created. It is a huge open world style route, with influences from the Legend of Zelda series. Any way I could do this without splicing together smaller images of the map? As 1/4 zoom isn't enough in rpg maker to take screen. Thanks.

I attached a preview image of a portion of my route for now :D. What do you think? I am a beginner mapper, and I haven't done a big polish up of the whole route yet, so thats why you may see a few tile errors right now. Thanks
                                              Attached Images
                                              File Type: png Route Preview.PNG‎ (135.7 KB, 47 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Quick Reply