• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
I've got a question: Is it possible, or if so, how do I add new Pokemon (adding +60 new Pokemon/Fakemon) without replacing existing ones? I prefer to if I could, since I don't really want to replace existing Pokemon. I've only used tools (mostly sprite editors, and PokeEditPro/YAPE) so far to rom hack, so I have very little hex editing experience but I have a small amount of programming experience, so I could catch on pretty fast.

I'm also using Jambo's 649 patch with FireRed, but I'm still figuring out the workings of that. I mean, I did patch properly and it works fine aside from issues with PEP/YAPE reading the rom.

I've done several searches and looked through the research/development and tutorial sub-forums, but can't find anything useful. I did find one tutorial, but that was with replacing ??? Pokemon. I've seen tutorials/guides for adding new items, moves, and such, and yet none for actually adding new Pokemon.

Well you can ask Jambo about repointing the pokemon table for more pokemon. But as of now you can't use the 649 patch for hacks.

When editing the Rival's OWs with Fire Red, during the lab sequence, the rival doesn't display his turning sprite or backwards sprite, instead constantly facing the camera while sliding along the floor. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong with NSE?

Erm, can you explain a bit more in this? Like posting an image or something?

From what I read I think that you have somehow messed up the order of the frames try doing following the order of frames from the game.

LaDestitute

Razor Sharp
Years
Ah, I was just messing around with the 649 patch/checking it out for testing purposes. Anyhow, I'll just stick with the original GBA set. Another thing to ask, since I want to learn how to do it myself: How would I repoint the Pokemon table myself to add more new Pokemon slots? It couldn't that be that hard, but still since I'm new to hex editing, I could use a bit of help.

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
Ah, I was just messing around with the 649 patch/checking it out for testing purposes. Anyhow, I'll just stick with the original GBA set. Another thing to ask, since I want to learn how to do it myself: How would I repoint the Pokemon table myself to add more new Pokemon slots? It couldn't that be that hard, but still since I'm new to hex editing, I could use a bit of help.

Well personally I haven't tried extending the number of Pokemon Firered has. As far as I know only Jambo has successfully done it so go and try ask him.

Though I do know you have to find the Pokemon Data and copy the whole table and copy paste it to free space and then change the pointer that directs to the original table and I think it should work then.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
When editing the Rival's OWs with Fire Red, during the lab sequence, the rival doesn't display his turning sprite or backwards sprite, instead constantly facing the camera while sliding along the floor. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong with NSE?

Like Tajaro... I mean "Shadowraze":p said, it could be an order problem with the frames, which is the most likely reason. However, there is also the chance that you screwed up the animation pointer. This is what allows the game to animate the sprite. Go into Options->Preferences in that sprite and see if it is correct when compared to a clean rom.

I'm pretty sure there are a couple of threads lying around in the R&D section dealing with this. There won't be any tutorials just yet since Jambo (and Chaos Rush, but he abandoned his project a while back to work on other things) have done it.

Last edited:

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018

It couldn't that be that hard

It couldn't that be that hard

AHAHAHA! You've gotta be kidding me! It's far harder than you're making it out to be. There's a reason I chose to make a patch rather than write a tutorial on it!

LaDestitute

Razor Sharp
Years
AHAHAHA! You've gotta be kidding me! It's far harder than you're making it out to be. There's a reason I chose to make a patch rather than write a tutorial on it!
I'm pretty new to rom hacking, okay? I'm still figuring this out, so cut me some slack. You didn't have to reply with such a rude and condescending answer.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
I'm pretty new to rom hacking, okay? I'm still figuring this out, so cut me some slack. You didn't have to reply with such a rude and condescending answer.

LOL Jambo51 wasn't being rude. He was just stating facts. Even I tried it but miserably failed.

Last edited:

LaDestitute

Razor Sharp
Years
LOL Jambo51 wasn't being rude. He was just stating facts. Even I tried it but miserably failed.
Ah, I see.
Sorry Jambo, but it was the "AHAHAHA! You've gotta be kidding me!" that set me off. No hard feelings anyway. I was just curious and wanting to know if it was possible, that's all.

Since I'm only adding an amount of new Pokemon equal to nearly 1/2 of Gen I, I suppose that gives me some leverage on deciding on which Pokemon to keep if I really have to stick to #386.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
How do I make a certain Pokemon behave like this:

When a ball is thrown and you successfully catch it, you keep it.

When a ball is thrown and it breaks out, it will flee.

Is there a possible way to do this?

And does anyone have a copy of the ASM code they used in the Legit Patch for FR? I wanted to "investigate" it.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Ah, I see.
Sorry Jambo, but it was the "AHAHAHA! You've gotta be kidding me!" that set me off. No hard feelings anyway. I was just curious and wanting to know if it was possible, that's all.

Since I'm only adding an amount of new Pokemon equal to nearly 1/2 of Gen I, I suppose that gives me some leverage on deciding on which Pokemon to keep if I really have to stick to #386.

No offence taken on my side, sir, and I apologise for wording my response the way I did. It's just that single line which I found genuinely funny. It's sadly not even close to being as simple as repointing some tables. There's a lot of hard work involved, a lot of ASM and such. It's not the sort of project that someone who is new to ROM hacking takes on.

However, my patch is nearing completion, and you, and all hackers, will be welcome to use it once it is complete!

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Oh, that's great news Jambo! I was so close to extending it by myself but theres just one limiter left that just keeps burmy's name for every pokemon up to 493. Well, at least you are almost done. But will Jpan's hacked engine still be compatible? I really have been wondering for a long time about that.

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
Hey guys, just wondering is there a list of which items are which flag ID? I don't really want to search 10's of items just to find the max repel one.

And I don't want to create new items, when flags are limited in the game...

karatekid552

Years

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Is there a way to add extra tile pallets? The ones you use in Advance map i mean. I'd like to add houses, but with different pallets. I already used the existing ones, so any way to add more? ASM seems to solve life's problems, maybe it requires ASM.

karatekid552

Years
Is there a way to add extra tile pallets? The ones you use in Advance map i mean. I'd like to add houses, but with different pallets. I already used the existing ones, so any way to add more? ASM seems to solve life's problems, maybe it requires ASM.

There are 16 palettes, right? Well, the game can only display 16 at a time (which gives you the 256 color palette) so adding more really isn't going to be easy. You may be able to find a way to switch palettes out based upon the tileset you are using, but just adding more won't work.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
Back in my day, I could index an image on Irfran View and open it up in Paint and it'd stay indexed to 16 colors. But now I upgraded computers and every time I open it up in Paint it reverts back to its 252 colors.

So I'm trying to insert a building and doing the necessary changes to the image (making sure the first color is the background color, fitting the image's colors to the game's rigid color system, etc.) but once I change the palette it just goes back in Paint. What's the new way to palette edit in indexed images?

karatekid552

Years
Back in my day, I could index an image on Irfran View and open it up in Paint and it'd stay indexed to 16 colors. But now I upgraded computers and every time I open it up in Paint it reverts back to its 252 colors.

So I'm trying to insert a building and doing the necessary changes to the image (making sure the first color is the background color, fitting the image's colors to the game's rigid color system, etc.) but once I change the palette it just goes back in Paint. What's the new way to palette edit in indexed images?

I use GIMP and it works really well. Others use Photoshop and some draw their palette on the side and use that to draw in Paint and then index in Infranview. It is all personal opinion for you now.

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017

Do you use infran to reduce to 16 then save it re open and copy it into a new paint file and then open into character maker pro and save the palletes? Because that works 100% for me

LaDestitute

Razor Sharp
Years
No offence taken on my side, sir, and I apologise for wording my response the way I did. It's just that single line which I found genuinely funny. It's sadly not even close to being as simple as repointing some tables. There's a lot of hard work involved, a lot of ASM and such. It's not the sort of project that someone who is new to ROM hacking takes on.

However, my patch is nearing completion, and you, and all hackers, will be welcome to use it once it is complete!
Do you plan to add more than 649 slots? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back