• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: History of Pokemon Handheld Gaming

littlebeeb

小さなもの
Years
I think it would be interesting to do an article series about the history of the different Pokemon games in accordance to their handheld counterparts. Considering the 3DS is on its way out and a new era of Pokemon and how we're gaming is in our midst.

For example, we could talk about the history of Gen I and the Gameboy in terms of it's history of production, marketing, selling, influential people involved, etc.

We could then move onto Gen II and talk about the Gameboy Color. (I believe GSC was also supposed to be the "final sequal" for Pokemon RBY? I read that somewhere at some point I think.)

We could talk about Gen III and the Gameboy Advance/GBA SP.

Gen IV and the Nintendo DS/DS Lite...

And so-on and so-forth.

I feel like this would be a massive but really cool project just to see how far Pokemon has come in the past 20 years. We could insert fun facts, pictures, marketing ads, and/or statistics to really illustrate the impact of each generation in it's time.

Wouldn't mind starting this at the beginning of the new year since the Holidays are busy for everyone IRL. But it would be cool to release an article from this series like once a month or once every two months to span the course of the year. I think it would be a fun project!

Feel free to dig in and ask more questions if my ramble above doesn't make sense. :3 It was just a thought I had and I think it would be really cool to actually attempt!

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I think it would be interesting to do an article series about the history of the different Pokemon games in accordance to their handheld counterparts. Considering the 3DS is on its way out and a new era of Pokemon and how we're gaming is in our midst.

For example, we could talk about the history of Gen I and the Gameboy in terms of it's history of production, marketing, selling, influential people involved, etc.

We could then move onto Gen II and talk about the Gameboy Color. (I believe GSC was also supposed to be the "final sequal" for Pokemon RBY? I read that somewhere at some point I think.)

We could talk about Gen III and the Gameboy Advance/GBA SP.

Gen IV and the Nintendo DS/DS Lite...

And so-on and so-forth.
Interesting idea. May need some planning but could be a good project for the new year (out focus will shift to USUM soon enough).

Is your intention of this article series to be more on the hardware than the software/the combination of the two? Additionally, what about discussion of home consoles which hosted many spinoff titles?
Wouldn't mind starting this at the beginning of the new year since the Holidays are busy for everyone IRL. But it would be cool to release an article from this series like once a month or once every two months to span the course of the year. I think it would be a fun project!
To also clarify, is this something you want to write about entirely by yourself, or with other people, or share article entries (you do one, someone else if interested does another, etc)? And if you wanted to start it earlier than next year (after it gets approval of course), that'd be fine too - no need to wait on others.

littlebeeb

小さなもの
Years
My intention would be the combination of the two. Obviously the two impacted each other in that the Gameboy impacted the growth of Pokemon as a whole for example, and the Pokemon franchise impacted Nintendo with how well the Gameboy sold.

Home consoles could also be included! I mainly wanted to stick with the handhelds to keep it within a clear theme but the home consoles and the games that went with it definitely held weight as well. Definitely a possibility.

I would definitely feel like a collaborative effort would be more effective than having myself write it all on my own as it would be a massive undertaking. I know it seems like a very ambitious project. ^_^;
I could do it by myself though, if no one is interested in partnering with me.

I would plan on starting before the new year (pending approval) just so you guys can see the format/vibe that I'm going for. I would do kind of like a test rough draft so you all can get the gist.

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
Years

I honestly love this idea! My only worry is that participation may struggle throughout the time that you want to do this. I would love to contribute as well since you would like this to be a collaboration.

There's also the issue of getting an organized plan going in order to tackle this series. But I believe that it can all be worked out!

+1 if it wasn't made obvious already

littlebeeb

小さなもの
Years
I am a planner so whipping up a skeleton/outline for what will be covered and when should be no problem.

So stoked that there's interest though! :D

Seeing as I am obviously not a regular contributor to PokeCommunity Daily, I would want to make sure that I give appropriate deadlines and not cut it too close... I know that things will take a little longer since it will be a collaborative effort.

I'll post the tentative plan in here when I get a chance to really sit down and focus on it so I can get feedback.

Thanks for the support y'all. :')

littlebeeb

小さなもの
Years
Hey all! Finally have time to whip up a little something. So included at the bottom is the "Table of Contents"... or at least how I envisioned each installment to go.
I figure that each installment would be marked by each handheld console and then the content within would be the games released on that console (which game, how sales were, and interesting blurbs during the time).
As someone brought up before, I think home consoles should potentially be included but I can't decide if it should be organically peppered into each installment when applicable or if it should be its own section on its own. I guess we can figure all that out when we start really writing!

(I plan on starting on the actual first article today!! Wish me luck!)

HISTORY OF POKEMON HANDHELD GAMING
1.) Gameboy

2.) Gameboy Color

3.) Gameboy Advance/SP

4.) Nintendo DS/Lite

5.) Nintendo 3DS

6.) Recap/Sum Up/Sources Used

I'll be working on this on and off today so feel free to ask further questions or chime in. When I have something more concrete written up, I'll edit this post and add it in a quote box so y'all can get a feel for how I envisioned this as well as any edits that you would like to make.

Back