• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokémon recovering on their own without items?

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Have you ever thought that the games should feel somewhat like as it did in the anime in where the Pokémon heal on their own? We know in the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series that it did happen while walking around in a dungeon. It would be interesting to see something like Pokémon recovering 1 HP every ten thousand steps or something like that, and if their status is "Fainted", they could automatically be cured of Fainted status with one HP recovered. This would save the trouble of having to go back to the Pokémon Center each time, but I really do think it should take a while... so that it would kind of put up a bit of a challenge, but it makes it more realistic though. ;)

What do you think? Would you like to see something like this happen in Pokémon X and Y? Feel free to discuss your opinions on this. ^^

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2015
I was thinking more in the line of PP recovery through walking rather than HP recovery, but still, I think it would be nice to have something like that in this game.

In all honesty, however, I really doubt that GameFreak will implement such a feature into this.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I was thinking more in the line of PP recovery through walking rather than HP recovery, but still, I think it would be nice to have something like that in this game.

In all honesty, however, I really doubt that GameFreak will implement such a feature into this.

PP recovery would be much nicer, in all honesty.

But yeah, the system's not fit for the main series. It'd either be so easy that Pokemon Centers wouldn't be needed, or so hard that you'd be able to make it to a Pokemon Center before you recovered a significant amount. Poison would be a big problem too. It's understandable if a Pokemon faints from poison and is revived with an item because that item is medicine and has the ability to cure poison, but just walking around automatically recovering HP doesn't have that same effect.

tnfsf11

Pokemon should be automatically revived to ~10HP after every battle (like in Chrono Trigger) ;).

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I found myself thinking this as when challenging Unova's E4 and was running out of PP, how nice it'll be if the pokemon could recover it's energy, or even if they replaced the current pp system with an energy bar which could slowly recover over time.

Firestorm1

Freezing Flame
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
I found myself thinking this as when challenging Unova's E4 and was running out of PP, how nice it'll be if the pokemon could recover it's energy, or even if they replaced the current pp system with an energy bar which could slowly recover over time.

Brilliant idea! HP regeneration would be unfair if you were catching a legendary at extremely low health or if you were simply knocking out the opponent's Pokemon.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years

That would be a great idea! Though I'm kind of thinking about PP recovery every 100 steps or so, that would make life a whole lot easier, since Elixiers and Max Elixiers can't be bought in shops in the game. As for automatic HP recovery, I'm kind of thinking that it should be limited to being only outside of battle.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
That would be an interesting idea, the concept of an energy bar. I actually like that idea over PP and it'd be cool seeing something like this in the future :3. And recovering slowly after a certain amount of time would be good, it'd save constant visits to Pokecenters and shopping sprees in Pokemarts. And I also like the idea of HP Recovery, it would be sort of like other games where if you walked around for a while, your Pokemon would gain perhaps 20HP each time? Or maybe after taking a certain number of steps your Pokemon would recover some HP and so on?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Well, it can make sense to debate the fact that pokemon can heal their own injuries without items over time, and yeah, it can be a very useful mechanic! Maybe 10,000 steps would be a little much though; it can very just well be 100 steps or even 10 steps, imo. Like said before in this thread, PP can very well recover too, since PP is kind of part of a pokemon's 'health system' in pokemon games, so, it'd make sense, imo.

blue

gucci
Years
I think it would make Revives much more obsolete, plus it would make it would make games much more easier.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I think it would make Revives much more obsolete, plus it would make it would make games much more easier.

I'm not so sure about that -- in the Mystery Dungeon games, when a pokemon faints, it faints; you couldn't bring it back with the HP recovery system, so you'd have to have a revival seed. I can see that working here too. A pokemon wouldn't automatically revive itself when you're walking, so, Revives can still be there to help pokemon. Well, that's what I think anyway; I don't know how easy this will make the games, but, it'd certainly make healing easier, so you'd don't have to rely on potions or the Pokemon Center as much.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I feel like this could definitely implemented as an out-of-battle effect, but during a battle not so much. Even though it's turn-based, it's not like each turn takes a lot of time (theoretically), so it wouldn't be enough time for anything to recover from injuries. I like Miss Doronjo's idea of taking x amount of steps to recover HP/PP while in the overworld, as it isn't anything that could be easily abused (and in the amount of steps he provided it would be more that enough time to reach a Pokémon Center anyways)!

Guy

just a guy
Years
I think doing this would make the game-play far too easy and render certain recovery and restore items useless. I kind of disliked that Gen IV made it so that our Pokémon would be healed of their poison upon reaching 1HP outside of battle. Gen V only made it worse when Pokémon no longer became affected by poison outside of battle. To me, all of this took away that certain sense of dire emergency to heal your Pokémon right away or rush to the nearest Pokémon Center before they fainted. Taking this another step further with HP or PP would just lessen the challenge of the game and it wouldn't be nearly as fun or exciting if it became that much easier to play.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I like the idea of Pokémon recovering after battle if fainted. However, the fact of the matter remains that the Pokémon should NOT be fighting, and to keep that in place, it's not done.

Also, the recovering of HP would be very badly abused by some in an Elite Four/Champion's Room environment, in that one would be able to - if they felt like walking ten million steps at a time - effectively cure their Pokémon without items before the next battle, restock PP, etc.

Hence, Gamefreak won't do this. It doesn't mean I don't wish such a mechanic existed; it just never will.

Cyclone

Years
I don't think this is a good idea, since it defeats the purpose of healing items like Hyper Potions and Full Restores, and also Revives.

I mostly agree with everything Aerilyn said, even though removing poison damage outside of battle was neat, I'd still wouldn't want Pokemon recovering without the use of items since it would also render Pokemon Centers obsolete.

I mean, who doesn't want to play Pokemon games if there's no challenge to them?

Back