• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Official PokéCommunity Shipping Debates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
Years
Your saying Imaginationshipping isn't popular :shocked:

While it's not unpopular, it's far from popular. Okay, including the three pairings I mentioned, let's check out my personally-compiled popularity statistics from FanFiction, Bulbagarden, Serebii and deviantART... If you don't trust them, I can provide links:

~ FanFiction stories ~
Wishful [26 stories]
Negai [12 stories]
CafeMocha [9 stories]
Imagination [1 story]

~ deviartART fan groups ~
Wishful [93 members]
Cafe [57 members]
Negai [47 members]
Imagination [1 member]

~ Bulbagarden fan clubs/threads ~
(Posts indicates level of traffic. Popular threads have high traffic rates)
CafeMocha [426 posts]
Negai [354 posts]
Wishful [141 posts]
Imagination [78 posts]

~ Serebii.net fan clubs/threads ~
Negai [1,110 posts]
Wishful [355 posts]
CafeMocha [69 posts]
Imagination [8 posts]

No offence, but I don't know what your definition of "popular" is, but it's not meeting with the dictionary's.

I see and understand, I do apologize if I have offended you in any way you make several compelling points, and I whole heatedly agree. I just recently found this section of the Community, and am fairly new overall. I suppose that I should have read more than the first 4 pages of the thread. I shall do so immediately.

Not at all. Sometimes I sound aggressive and snarky, but really, I'm enjoying the debate, and perhaps state my opinions too passionately. I don't offend easily, believe me! =) I apologise if I came across as rude to you, because that was not my intention. I don't blame you for not reading every single page- I myself only skimmed them at best.

But of course, I knew form the get go that there would be contempt and distaste for this pairing, and I am well prepared to face it and defend my right to create my own unique idea.

People should get over it- it's fiction. In some grey areas, I may or may not agree with that notion, but I would never stop people from liking a pairing. Providing that they don't do so to me, and bar me from criticism.

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Nim
  • Seen Feb 16, 2017
My problem with these ships and the fanfics that sprout from them, is that they're all filled with the generic, cliched fluff that you see in any other fanfiction. Reading these start to get boring after a while. But that's not to say I'm against these people who write them. Freedom of speech, right?

The day that Ash goes to visit Dawn, gives her a rose, and then she blushes, then I'll think otherwise.

Hah. Why does that put a smile on my face…XP

Ash may like Dawn in this instance, yes, but just because Dawn blushes, doesn't mean she likes him. She could be embarrassed by his gesture.

Luckily, PC is very civil. There are some places where you just genuinely want to express an intelligible perspective, but the mods that love a pairing will delete your post.

Yes, just because someone goes red doesn't always mean they're blushing. They could be really mad, or embarrassed.

I've been here for quite some time now and I can say this site is very peaceful and friendly. The other Pokemon forum I used to go to were not the best of the bunch; mostly ignorant trolls and very rude to one another, including the moderators.

I'd like to think FerrisWheel got popular just because everyone made it popular. I personally think it took too long and I couldn't mash the A button to get the scene over and done with.

AshPikastar said:
It actually does happen. I have played as the male character and N took me on a FerrisWheel but this is somewhat normal. There are a bunch of shippings like this like what I mentioned before and supporting male x male isn't that bad.

It's not like the scene was invoking any shipping feeling within me. Felt more like a normal conversation, mano a mano (am I saying that right?). Or have we as a society become too sensitive to have two guys talking privately on an amusement park ride?

Maybe this Bacon and Nutella on the thread should have a 'ship of their own. *smirk* *snort*

He doesn't have any social skills with humans, so he probably didn't realise what he was doing was weird.

Yeah, living with Pokemon as a kid doesn't necessarily mean you had the best skills when interacting with those of your own being.

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2016
While it's not unpopular, it's far from popular. Okay, including the three pairings I mentioned, let's check out my personally-compiled popularity statistics from FanFiction, Bulbagarden, Serebii and deviantART... If you don't trust them, I can provide links:

~ FanFiction stories ~
Wishful [26 stories]
Negai [12 stories]
CafeMocha [9 stories]
Imagination [1 story]

~ deviartART fan groups ~
Wishful [93 members]
Cafe [57 members]
Negai [47 members]
Imagination [1 member]

~ Bulbagarden fan clubs/threads ~
(Posts indicates level of traffic. Popular threads have high traffic rates)
CafeMocha [426 posts]
Negai [354 posts]
Wishful [141 posts]
Imagination [78 posts]

~ Serebii.net fan clubs/threads ~
Negai [1,110 posts]
Wishful [355 posts]
CafeMocha [69 posts]
Imagination [8 posts]

No offence, but I don't know what your definition of "popular" is, but it's not meeting with the dictionary's.

Funny how Wishfulshipping has less members in that place yet its more popular how odd. In forums Negaishipping seems more popular from what I'm seeing. Well at least another person besides me ships Imaginationshipping, I wasn't that one person that joined :classic:

Baconkillszombies

I AM NOT A ZOMBIE >.>
Years
It's not like the scene was invoking any shipping feeling within me. Felt more like a normal conversation, mano a mano (am I saying that right?). Or have we as a society become too sensitive to have two guys talking privately on an amusement park ride?

Maybe this Ruby and Nutella on the thread should have a 'ship of their own. *smirk* *snort*
I dun follow you, but I don't like my name being mentioned. :3 /Cue the switcheroo

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
Years
My problem with these ships and the fanfics that sprout from them, is that they're all filled with the generic, cliched fluff that you see in any other fanfiction. Reading these start to get boring after a while. But that's not to say I'm against these people who write them. Freedom of speech, right?

Unfortunately, 80% of FanFiction is garbage. Or just fan fiction in general. People are too excited about squeeing over their favourite ships rather than actually thinking of a more dignified way of honouring them. That's basically the nice way of saying that writing is not on their list of talents. It's as you say, though- freedom of speech. Just because you can't write, doesn't mean you shouldn't. In fact, in doing so, one gets better. Accept con-crit of course. Which a lot of authors do not. So, err...

I'd like to think FerrisWheel got popular just because everyone made it popular. I personally think it took too long and I couldn't mash the A button to get the scene over and done with.

Indeed. I'm fairly impartial to N, anyway. He's so overrated. People with poor social skills get segregated, not worshipped. Oh well ♥ the video game fandom world works in mysterious ways. I CAN'T BELIEVE BUTTON MASHIN' DIDN'T WORK!

Maybe this Bacon and Nutella on the thread should have a 'ship of their own. *smirk* *snort*

Dude, you so hirarious! ChocopigShipping.

Yeah, living with Pokemon as a kid doesn't necessarily mean you had the best skills when interacting with those of your own being.

Thankfully Pokemon interaction doesn't involve bum-sniffing.

Funny how Wishfulshipping has less members in that place yet its more popular how odd. In forums Negaishipping seems more popular from what I'm seeing. Well at least another person besides me ships Imaginationshipping, I wasn't that one person that joined :classic:

Just realised how rude I sounded in that post~ Sorry, bro. -__- I guess people join the groups/clubs/threads of those with the most members, naturally. It's too much work to round up members!

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
Years

I'm one of the luckier ones that can't help but keep my opinions to myself- so debating naturally works for me. The internet is an excellent opportunity for convicted yet publicly-shy people to engage in a debate.

Same here which is pretty shocking to see me actually do some good debating on here when I'm usually the one that won't say anything to anyone about my opinions.

When people feel so passionately about a pairing they love (read: when they're fans), it almost inevitably explodes into debate. Luckily, PC is very civil. There are some places where you just genuinely want to express an intelligible perspective, but the mods that love a pairing will delete your post. It's not fair, so thank the Lord OC isn't like that.

Another good thing about PC and yes I agree. I haven't fully checked out the BMGF shipping area when it comes to debating so I wouldn't know if they would delete post as well if it's their favorite pairing or something but it's actually a lot of fun to do an debate about shippings since there is a lot that you can debate about.

I also love crack pairings. I used to play this writing-practice thing ages ago where the participants shipped random characters and had to write a short story about the union. It's very fun; that's probably where my love of crack pairings came from. Got any good ones?

It's fun to put characters together randomly. In the manga shipping I can do some funny mix ups. Hmmm any good ideas of a random crack pairing? May x Cilan is another.

I completely agree with this non-biased view! X) For instance, CafeMocha is brilliant!~ =D See how Dento is the damn pillar of Best Wishes?! Sadly, WishfulShipping is the most popular out of the popular three (the other two being Negai and CafeMocha).

Wishfulshipping shall take over the world! To be honest I don't know why that shipping so popular. Didn't Palletshipping use to be popular back in the day? Surprised there aren't that many shippers for Iris and Trip.

A normal conversation with N? Yeah I can see what you mean by that. For Ferriswheelshippers they would have probably loved that scene with N and White.

I agree

Baconkillszombies

I AM NOT A ZOMBIE >.>
Years
Unfortunately, 80% of FanFiction is garbage. Or just fan fiction in general. People are too excited about squeeing over their favourite ships rather than actually thinking of a more dignified way of honouring them. That's basically the nice way of saying that writing is not on their list of talents. It's as you say, though- freedom of speech. Just because you can't write, doesn't mean you shouldn't. In fact, in doing so, one gets better. Accept con-crit of course. Which a lot of authors do not. So, err...

There is no freedom of speech, just acceptable speech that is expressed within a written guideline. Muhahaha

It's fun to put characters together randomly. In the manga shipping I can do some funny mix ups. Hmmm any good ideas of a random crack pairing? May x Cilan is another.

e_e Is cilan Brock's replacement? D:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Dent is in no way Brock's replacement. He took Brock's spot in the main cast, yes, but his is a completely different person. His knowledge base, personality, and goals are not at all very similar to Brock's. And Dent's much more of a versatile character, with more depth to him. And the boy's got charisma.

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2016
Just realised how rude I sounded in that post~ Sorry, bro. -__- I guess people join the groups/clubs/threads of those with the most members, naturally. It's too much work to round up members!

You didn't sound rude to me =/ Wishfulshipping shouldn't have too much trouble gathering members if its as popular as people are saying hmm. Ask for IrisxTrip meh its been done DawnxPaul so people are probaly over that kind of thing now :classic:

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
Years
I made a Wishfulshipping group before but it was before it got really popular but so far CafeMocha is the main popular one. Ah yeah IrisXTrip does remind me of Ikarishipping now that you mentioned it.

Baconkillszombies

I AM NOT A ZOMBIE >.>
Years
Dent is in no way Brock's replacement. He took Brock's spot in the main cast, yes, but his is a completely different person. His knowledge base, personality, and goals are not at all very similar to Brock's. And Dent's much more of a versatile character, with more depth to him. And the boy's got charisma.

Hmm, then I outta watch the New episodes to see who he is then. :3

Who is Cilan then?

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Nim
  • Seen Feb 16, 2017
Nutella said:
Unfortunately, 80% of FanFiction is garbage. Or just fan fiction in general. People are too excited about squeeing over their favourite ships rather than actually thinking of a more dignified way of honouring them. That's basically the nice way of saying that writing is not on their list of talents.

Indeed. I'm fairly impartial to N, anyway. He's so overrated. People with poor social skills get segregated, not worshipped. I CAN'T BELIEVE BUTTON MASHIN' DIDN'T WORK!

I can like a shipped fanfic, no matter how much I dislike it outside of story, as long as it's a good read. Take Advancedshipping for example. Never liked it, but I read this one story, and wow I actually got some respect for that ship.

People with a lack of social skills tend to fall behind in the real world, but it works the opposite for a fictional world. Again, this world is a utopia, where anything and everything is possible. Escapism. Perhaps the developers couldn't let that happen with such a scene as that. Maybe one of those special cutscenes.

AshPikastar said:
Surprised there aren't that many shippers for Iris and Trip.

For Ferriswheelshippers they would have probably loved that scene with N and White.

Because, he's so basic.

I can see where it's going between NxWhite, but between N and Black I just see a normal conversation between two guys. (Why do we always fantasize about two guys making out? <_<)

TheSmartOne said:
His knowledge base, personality, and goals are not at all very similar to Brock's. And Dent's much more of a versatile character, with more depth to him. And the boy's got charisma.

Yes, I like that he's fresh to the group. I welcome his interactions he does with them. Iris on the other hand...

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
Yes, I like that he's fresh to the group. I welcome his interactions he does with them. Iris on the other hand...

I dare you to finish that sentence >__>

May x Cilan

Because May needs TWO green haired freak stalking her.... *puts that in list of fanfic ideas*

And Iris x Trip sounds disgusting :(

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 21, 2023
I dare you to finish that sentence >__>

Because May needs TWO green haired freak stalking her.... *puts that in list of fanfic ideas*

And Iris x Trip sounds disgusting :(

may is such a dude magnet lol. however i doubt dento would stalk her though since he's gay

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
Years

May x Cilan, ey? Cracky as~ I like Elesa x one of the three brothers. They'd make nice babies. Though I think that Elesa suits Cress the most.

Wishfulshipping shall take over the world! To be honest I don't know why that shipping so popular. Didn't Palletshipping use to be popular back in the day? Surprised there aren't that many shippers for Iris and Trip.

It was huge, bro. HUGE. There's no such thing as being "just friends" in the Pokemon world, haha. XP

COULDN'T AGREE MORE SO I WILL AGREE IN ALL CAPS

Dent is Cilan. Technically. I have other beliefs in that regard, but I will not go into them.

Go into them, TheSmartOne, if you're smart, haha. Is this about game vs. anime, or dub vs. raw/sub?

You're a HATURR, GTFO~ (I really dislike Iris, so good on you!)

I can like a shipped fanfic, no matter how much I dislike it outside of story, as long as it's a good read. Take Advancedshipping for example. Never liked it, but I read this one story, and wow I actually got some respect for that ship.

Even after reading a good ship fic, my opinion of the ship(s) involved rarely changes, but I can definitely see where you're coming from. I've read many good Wishful fics- even though I despise the ship. As a writer, I hope something trivial like that wouldn't bar me from enjoying quality writing, as it's scarce.

(Why do we always fantasize about two guys making out? <_<)

Same sorts of reasons men fantasise about women getting it on.

Iris x Trip sounds disgusting because that's what they both are.

I hate being beaten to the punch! DAMN AUSTRALIAN TIME.

Dent's not gay; he's just Ambiguously Gay as of now. Nothing can be proven.
I personally believe he's into men. But there's no proof of sexuality.

I doubt ponyboy was stating Dento's gayness as a fact. I agree; as much as I love to ship him with Elesa, I think Dento is pretty homo. It's incredibly rare for a character's sexuality to be explicitly stated. Even though they're in a gay relationship, they could be bi. Unless the canon doesn't state a sexuality with certainty, it's not technically non-canon to make characters gay in a fic.

I hate it when some authors say that making a character gay is OOC. So dumb; sexuality isn't a personality trait, unless the character is centred around their sexual desires, jokes, etc..

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Go into them, TheSmartOne, if you're smart, haha. Is this about game vs. anime, or dub vs. raw/sub?
Mainly raw/sub vs dub. In the dub, he doesn't have the same refined air as he does in the original. And he just sounds odd.... his statements sound too breathy and eager, rather than mild and controlled. Maybe it seems that way because he sounds wayyy too much like Sonic, but I don't know.
His dialogue is also a mess. He's been dumbed down a bit and his catchphrase was taken away. Cutting Tasting Time kind of makes his character more bland... and his obsession with flavour hardly makes sense anymore.

I hate being beaten to the punch! DAMN AUSTRALIAN TIME.
:P

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
Years
Oh~ I see, I see. I only watched one of the English episodes for a few seconds to listen to Dento's, as well as Chili and Cress' voices. I don't stick around, haha. Lucky I didn't. I guess they thought his catchphrase sounded "off" in English. IDK, if it were me, I'd keep it, or edit it to not sound off. It just didn't occur to them that cutting out one part makes others collapse. Silly, silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back