• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Woman sets fire to husband's genitals.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
Sexism, people? Really? I... don't see the basis for that. We've got a woman who attacked a man and from what I can tell is indirectly claiming temporary insanity, a valid defense. Problem?

And I won't be the one to say she ain't insane. Unless she's our newest criminal genius who pre-planned getting caught and accurately faking insanity she seems pretty insane to me.

'Course, I'm not a doctor, just someone who can observe someone's behavior an' compare it to other criminals. I seriously question whether someone would murder someone in that particular fashion if they weren't going through some sort of mental disturbance. I mean, she was pretty much begging to be caught from a practical point of view. Setting a live person on fire isn't exactly something easy to keep in the dark. (Badumtish)

Terrible puns aside, assuming she isn't a criminal genius, I'd bet that her reaction was partially the fault of how people as a whole view dating these days. It's all about drama, and not getting hurt, and sex. In reality, of course, good couples should be avoiding drama and being perfectly ready to put up with being hurt. I remember when people used to /work/ for a relationship instead of throwing a tantrum and or doing something rash when something bad happened. (No I don't, but that's not the point.)

But yeah, if she's as screwed up as she's coming off and there are no conspiracies involved here, she needs to be separated from the rest of society until she can be cured of her madness. (Or at least, I would hope that's what happens when you convince the law you're insane an unstable)

But but but.... WOMENS RITES!11!!

If she got punished, the feminsst will be coming out. (_ _)

Do you /really/ think that? -_- Do you seriously think the feminist movement is going to make an official movement to protect some loony who killed her husband? I don't think they'd do that, and I smell prejudice.

The judge said that the man deserved it or something. Kind of sick if you ask me.

Could you find an actual quote or something? I find it difficult to believe a judge said that and there hasn't been an article covering that yet.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015

Terrible puns aside, assuming she isn't a criminal genius, I'd bet that her reaction was partially the fault of how people as a whole view dating these days. It's all about drama, and not getting hurt, and sex. In reality, of course, good couples should be avoiding drama and being perfectly ready to put up with being hurt. I remember when people used to /work/ for a relationship instead of throwing a tantrum and or doing something rash when something bad happened. (No I don't, but that's not the point.)

While I agree with you for the most part, I have a feeling that this may have nothing to do with it. After, all, she's a 46 year old woman who's been married for over 20 years, not a teenager. If she was younger and identified with a more Western culture instead of Indian Hinduism I would agree with you on that point though.

Dawn

Years

While I agree with you for the most part, I have a feeling that this may have nothing to do with it. After, all, she's a 46 year old woman who's been married for over 20 years, not a teenager. If she was younger and identified with a more Western culture instead of Indian Hinduism I would agree with you on that point though.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, my knowledge of that culture is pretty...bad.

But from what I've heard, many "other" cultures are even less tolerant of adultery, and it pretty much ruins the reputation of those who do it in some places, and is even punished directly.

I have no idea if that applies to that specific culture, but I assumed so.

In such a case, it seems to provoke things like this by teaching people that their partner isn't /allowed/ or doesn't have a /right/ to do these things. In reality, good relationships are based on trust and acceptance, not laws/rules. Hence you have people doing rash things like this because they were already in an unhealthy relationship based on the wrong values.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015

Take what I say with a grain of salt, my knowledge of that culture is pretty...bad.

But from what I've heard, many "other" cultures are even less tolerant of adultery, and it pretty much ruins the reputation of those who do it in some places, and is even punished directly.

I have no idea if that applies to that specific culture, but I assumed so.

In such a case, it seems to provoke things like this by teaching people that their partner isn't /allowed/ or doesn't have a /right/ to do these things. In reality, good relationships are based on trust and acceptance, not laws/rules. Hence you have people doing rash things like this because they were already in a bad relationship.

Wow...after reading this I went and looked up adultery in India, and it's actually the exact opposite of what I believed it to be. According to this source, women are treated as victims in all cases of adultery, but the man is always punished. I totally thought it was the other way around. Thanks for saying that, otherwise I never would've looked it up and kept being wrong. The more you know~

Which makes me feel even worse for the woman, because if she had told anyone about her plight, they would have helped her, but in a moment of anger she did something horrible instead.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
Years
They will find her mentally ill and instead of her going to jail shell be put in a psycho ward where shell stay for months to years, That is how a lot of people gets out of murder because they make it look like there mentally ill. It just sucks. Even thou she didn't mean it to happen he did die and she killed a person. I honestly think if you kill a person they should kill you.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
I doubt that she was the real problem. From what I've heard, she was abused, and cheated on, so she went to burn the tip of his penis to 'claim' it or something. She then ended up giving him burns to 85% of his body, and then dying. What I care about is that the charges got moved up from domestic violence to murder, and she still got away with it.

Dawn

Years
Well, y'know, insanity plea is perfectly valid. You may not agree with it, but they do extensive testing to try and make sure that someone is actually insane before they let someone get away with that plea. I don't think many people are capable of falsifying insanity to the point that a bunch of psychologists trying to catch them lying wouldn't be able to cast reasonable doubt. In fact, according to the article below, it seems to imply many people fail the tests. Meaning their plea fails.

I mean, look at the circumstances, what she did was /stupid/ from a criminal point of view. She clearly hadn't thought to get away with murdering him. So either she's a criminal mastermind and is out to set up an entire conspiracy theory requiring her to fake insanity for an unknown period of time or she actually had a valid plea.

http://criminal.lawyers.com/Criminal-Law-Basics/When-Does-the-Insanity-Defense-Make-Sense.html

Take a look at that article. Fooling people into thinking you're insane enough to murder someone is a lot harder than going herp derp potatoe fit in ear. Then again, this is India we're talking about, not the USA. I didn't find anything specific to India, so yeah... that's just an example.

Last edited:

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
I wouldn't call her insane. She was abused and cheated on, and finally reacted to all the pain that has happened to her over the years. Of course she didn't mean to kill him, but to just 'claim' what is hers or something.

Also, I don't know why people talk about India. This happened in Australia, which is the worst part. -__-

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
Years
Even if she was abused and cheated on, Who in there right mind would try to burn a part of someones body just to claim it as theres. Even more so with the amount of gas she had...

Years
I wouldn't call her insane. She was abused and cheated on, and finally reacted to all the pain that has happened to her over the years. Of course she didn't mean to kill him, but to just 'claim' what is hers or something.
In that scenario, most people get a divorce, rather than committing murder/manslaughter, which she should have been found guilty of.

Anger isn't an excuse, it's a reason.
Also, I don't know why people talk about India. This happened in Australia, which is the worst part. -__-
Probably the name.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 8, 2023
False. It was a Supreme Court of multiple people, not one female judge. The abuse was also corroborated by the children if you read other articles.
The jury found her guilty of manslaughter, the single judge was responsible for suspending the sentence. I was not incorrect.
his children told the court that while they grieved for their abusive father, the atmosphere at home was no longer angry and hostile.
angry and hostile atmosphere? Is that all? Even if you do categorise that as abuse, it hardly is something worth burning a penis off for. Nevermind that she wanted to burn him for cheating, not for "abuse". Cop-out excuse.

No evidence of said abuse and really, no need for it either. I'd like to see some though if it is there (I've read 20 articles looking, found nothing), but I won't be holding my breath because it isn't the first time men have been accused without reason.
It's funny how so many people automatically say "the woman couldn't have had anything wrong with her, she obviously needs to go to jail", and don't even consider the possibility that it could possibly be anything else. Her goal wasn't to burn off his penis, it was to burn a dot on his penis like the mark on her head. When she told him what she wanted to do and the materials to do it, he just called her a "fat, dumb "snip" so, in her anger and the feeling of hopelessness, she threw them at him and they lit.

She needs psychological counseling, not a prison. What she did wasn't right, but even before I looked up enough to combat everyone saying "herp derp she got special treatment cause she's a girl", I had the common sense to realize that if you try to do something like that, there's obviously something wrong inside your head. And the judge did make her go to psychological counseling.
She does have something wrong with her. So what? She committed a crime, she should have to face the consequences. It is only fair that she be held fully responsible for her actions.

And she did get special treatment. Society has a special elevated status reserved for women, who can do no wrong, and are allowed to lie and send men to jail just by accusing them of abuse or rape.

Do you /really/ think that? -_- Do you seriously think the feminist movement is going to make an official movement to protect some loony who killed her husband? I don't think they'd do that, and I smell prejudice.
What are you talking about? The movement started decades ago and has been continuing ever since.

Wait, do you actually think that feminism stands for equality? HAHAHA.

Take a look at that article. Fooling people into thinking you're insane enough to murder someone is a lot harder than going herp derp potatoe fit in ear. Then again, this is India we're talking about, not the USA. I didn't find anything specific to India, so yeah... that's just an example.
She wasn't deemed insane, and she didn't get off on an insanity plea. Jurors actually found her guilty of manslaughter (not murder), but the (female) judge suspended that sentence. It was pretty much regarded as "crime of passion" (despite preparing for it earlier, arguing that she never intended to kill him).

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
The jury found her guilty of manslaughter, the single judge was responsible for suspending the sentence. I was not incorrect.

Yes you are. A Supreme Court isn't a jury. It's a panel of judges. The justices mentioned in the article linked are John Sulan, Ted Mullighan, and Margaret Nyland. Two of those are male. The fact that multiple judges are quoted implies that (shocker) multiple judges are involved, which is supported by the reference to the Supreme Court in the first sentence. In fact, in every other article on the subject, it only mentions John Sulan. Unless you're arguing that John and Ted are female names, you can't argue the fact that more men judges were cited to be involved in the case. Unless you want to look up the court in question, which I'm having trouble finding.

Edit: After rereading the article, Ted Mullighan and Margaret Nyland have nothing to do with this case. It's just John Sulan. One male was quoted.

angry and hostile atmosphere? Is that all? Even if you do categorise that as abuse, it hardly is something worth burning a penis off for. Nevermind that she wanted to burn him for cheating, not for "abuse". Cop-out excuse.

I'm sure with your extensive background in Australian criminal law and your in-depth knowledge of the case, you can say that the evidence wasn't enough to support it. Unless you have proof that that's all the evidence there is, why should anyone even listen to you? I'm inclined to believe that in general courts are very thorough on what they deem is an appropriate sentence, especially when passing a controversial one such as this, but I guess you'd rather believe the opposite.

No evidence of said abuse and really, no need for it either. I'd like to see some though if it is there, but I won't be holding my breath because it isn't the first time men have been accused without reason.

See above, unless you were watching the case or have more information about it, you can't say there was definitely no evidence of it. But go ahead, you just believe what you want to believe, no one's stopping you.

She does have something wrong with her. So what? She committed a crime, she should have to face the consequences. It is only fair that she be held fully responsible for her actions.

Often criminals are better off in a psychological facility getting help than in a prison. This is one of those cases in my opinion. You may disagree, but that's not something you can really argue because it's not able to be proven.

And she did get special treatment. Society has a special elevated status reserved for women, who can do no wrong, and are allowed to lie and send men to jail just by accusing them of abuse or rape.

See, you're seeing this way differently than I am. You see it as "women are treated better than they should be, and so should be treated like men". I see it as "men are treated worse than they should be, and so should be treated like women". I believe that the ruling was right regardless of gender, and if a man had been in that situation, then it should have resulted in the same ruling. Whether or not it would have is a different matter that I can't speak on, but that's how I see it. Two wrongs don't make a right, yeah?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
Just wow. How could some one be so twisted to do such a horrible thing. Stuff like this makes me scared of ho stupid the human race is.

Dawn

Years

Here's a question for you. What evidence do you have that supports the fact that women are in fact treated better than the norm, and that men are not simply treated worse than the norm? Can you even give evidence that there is a clear, very distinct and consistent difference to begin with? Or is your statement based on something just as evil if not worth than the discrimination you're accusing others of, reverse discrimination? Is it true that if this woman was punished extremely harshly, that you wouldn't have even uttered a peep?

Let me just throw in an article that suggests a supposed sexist /anti/ female sub-culture in Australia. Just for good measure.
http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=2269

It's an odd world we live in, where we are so accepting of overly harsh punishments but are perfectly willing to jump at the throats of those who let people off easy. Hmph

Wait, do you actually think that feminism stands for equality? HAHAHA.

Nice prejudice you got there. I'd completely ignore it, but someone needs to point it out. Otherwise impressionable people might actually /believe/ the implications you're sending.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
Years
Not only did I grin while reading this... I also cracked up at her motive. I feel bad for the guy (and, you know, he's dead...), but...

This world is too lunate to take seriously...

Pwnyta Jockey

Bees Hate You, Pwnyta!
Years
Reminds me a bit about this Edmonton area crazed man who was confronted by some local law on a rural road.

The news article stated this man as wielding a claw hammer, according to the "police report". He then dropped his pants and started to use the claw end on his own delicates.

:O

Back