• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Final Team Member Help - Heart Gold

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Oct 19, 2018
Hello guys, I really want to play Heart Gold and I already have planned a team for in-game fun, but I don't know who I should pick for my final team member. I mention that I will not be able to trade.This is the team that I have in mind:

Typhlosion (Charcoal)
- Lava Plume
- Fire Blast
- Sunny Day
- Solarbeam

Crobat (Poison Barb/Sharp Beak)
- Fly
- Sludge Bomb
- Bite
- Confuse Ray

Heracross (Black Belt)
- Brick Break
- Close Combat
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake

Lanturn (Shell Bell/Magnet/Mystic Water)
- Discharge
- Surf
- Blizzard
- Stockpile

Espeon (Choice Specs/Twistedspoon)
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Swift
- Reflect

What should my last member be? Another physical attacker? A physical wall?

Years
You need a electric type pokemon. I would recommend you "magnemite" because he is a steel and electric type pokemon. Trust me, Electric/Steel type will help you a lot in most of the matches in this game. Especially on Lance and Claire.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Why would you run a possible choice item Espeon with Reflect?

Also, I'd highly recommend literally any other move than Swift on it.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Oct 19, 2018
Espeon doesn't have the greatest movepool so Swift is pretty ok in game. May come in handy for sand attackers and such. Reflect is there in case I face physical threats. Your answers did not help me thanks. Also, Lanturn is part electric so I'm good in that regard

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
No, I know the benefit of Reflect; I'm just saying anything but an attacking move is not a good choice if you're going to possibly run a choice item.

If you decide to use that on Espeon, you gotta replace Reflect.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Oct 19, 2018
I will teach it Grass Knot when I can(post game if I recall) but until then I don't really know what to teach Espeon. Maybe I will give it Hyper Beam. Who knows, with choice specs it might do some damage

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
For a final team member, I'd recommend a Steelix. It's slow but it gives you two typings you presently lack: Steel and Ground. Ground comes in handy against Electric opponents(as well as kicking butt against Poison and Fire Types) while it's Steel Typing makes you a god against Poison, Rock and Ice types(while resisting tons, including reducing damage from Grass and Ice that would be Super Effective on your Ground Typing. Water still stings though).

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Thanks but I mentioned that I am unable to trade...

You can catch Steelix in Cliff Cave(level 23, although it's appearance rate is relatively low). You can also get one via a trade with an in-game character in Olivine City(*Cough* Jasmine *Cough* any Pokemon too). Finally there is Mount Silver but it's level 48 at that point. If all else fails, Magnemite is a solid option.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Oct 19, 2018
I totally forgot that you can get a Steelix from Jasmine, but I believe that is only after the E4., same with getting it from Cliff Cave. I would like a full team of 6 before the E4. Thanks for the reply

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I totally forgot that you can get a Steelix from Jasmine, but I believe that is only after the E4., same with getting it from Cliff Cave. I would like a full team of 6 before the E4. Thanks for the reply

You could go with simply Onix and a Rock/Ground Type. Rock Types have their uses and Ground moves are really, really useful in Kanto(Lt.Surge, Janine, Blaine come to mind). You also get Onix relatively early in exchange for a Bellsprout. Another option is Sandshrew/Sandslash and a pure Ground type. Sandslash is my favorite Ground Type and although it doesn't learn a Ground move naturally in Generation 1(its moveset in Generation 4 isn't much better), it can learn a lot of good moves from TM's(including Dig/Earthquake).

Also throwing Jynx out there if you want an Ice/Psychic Type.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Oct 19, 2018
I think I will use Mamoswine! Ice/Ground, good stats and moveset. Can't believe I forgot about Swinub.

Back