• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Zelda: Oracles Engine; for Game Maker

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Info: Ever since I was a little 8 year old, I've always been obsessed with Zelda, everything about it made me want to make my own game like it.
The one series that intrested me was the Oracle/Awakening Series.
The one for the Game Boy Colour. It was, to me, the best I've played, it did so much for such a early console.
Since playing them, I thought this would be the games i'd try base my own game on.
As I grew older I learned of the Rom hacking community and Lin91's ZOLE (Zelda Oracle Level Editor), but over time, I realized rom hacking wasn't me. After researching Game development, there weren't many Oracle based games or engines, any that there was, were discontinued or private resourced.

So, I decided to make my own, So I give to Pokécommunity.

Zelda Oracles Engine!!

Features:
Blue = DoneOrange = DoingTo be Done
  • Oracle styled Movement and Actions
  • Sword
  • Rupee System
  • Heart system
  • Pause Menu/ Item Menu
  • HUD Bar
  • Heart Pieces, Heart Containers and Extra Hearts
  • Insert a Oracle of Seasons Tilesets
  • Power Bracelet
  • Dungeons
  • Towns
  • Multi Room transport
  • Enemies
  • Bosses
  • Shovel
  • Insert a full Oracle of Ages + Link's Awakening Tileset
  • NPCs
  • Oracle Styled Shop
  • Dungeon 'Treasures'
  • Save System
  • Dungeon Bosses
  • Dungeon Traps
  • Bombs & Bomb Bag
  • Intro
  • Credits

Screenshots: (new to old)
Spoiler:

Infomation:
How Tilesets are done: In the tiles section of the 'Room' you'll find various backgorunds with places from the officail games, like Holodrums world map. To save me making a whole tileset I've made it so you can just take the tiles from the Map to your Game. Each map is about 10 blocks wide by 8 blocks height.

Credits:
Nintendo: Zelda
Capcom: Oracle Series
Spriters-resource: Various sprite resources.

Downloads:
I've not made enough progress for my to think of releasing anything yet.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 5, 2016
Love the idea, and I'm even making an entire island in my game dedicated to the mario sonic and zelda series. I hope this does well for you, but one question I do have is why you would go with the oracle graphics. I know they're "classic", but the link to the past graphics are quite a step up and still have that classic look of zelda.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
I'm using oracle graphics because it's what I'm use too, and alot of Lttp graphics need Link to appear under the graphics, for top of tree's and roofs. I'm not 100% sure how to recreate that in game maker.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Slight update:
Dungeon-1.png

Dungeon system updated.
Grass.png

Added Grass animaiton
Town.png

Started adding towns and inner buildings.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Bigscreen.png

Upped the window size, to make the game a higher quality.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
MoarItems.png

Roc's Feather. Done.
Power Bracelet. Done.
Rupees. Done.
Rupees are like normal. Green = 1 Blue = 5 Red = 20 and Purple = 50

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Omg, I love these games sooooooo much. I'm actually making a game based on the sidescrolling sections of these games with MMF2. lol

Looking forward to this. :D

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Omg, I love these games sooooooo much. I'm actually making a game based on the sidescrolling sections of these games with MMF2. lol

Looking forward to this. :D

Thank you ... I'm glad to see another Oracle Fan.

This is done with the depth (1 will appear below 0)

Okay, thanks.
But I'm still gonna use Oracles style. If anyone wants Lttp Graphics they can insert them, by themselves.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
If nobody uses this to make this, I'm going to be extremely disappointed in all of you.

That's right, especially you.

Looks good so far though, keep it up!
http://vgmaps.com/NewsArchives/April2008/index.htm#LegendOfZeldaOracleOfHours

Hehe.
Someone has already figured out my purpose for making this.
On another note, are you aware there's a Ages from hack for Hours, it's got 2 dungeons and is worth the play.

Also, I've had to restart since I lost alot of data, but i shall slowly rebuild it all.
I've already started the basic coding.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Zelda.png

After losing all my stuff back in August.
I'm working on this again.
So far all in blue is what's done in the OP.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
nice have you ever thought about building something like this inside unity? It can do 2D not easily but it can be done look at my signature

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
I'm doing it for Game Maker due to familiarization and it's something we're learning in my college.

KingCharizard

Years
I'm doing it for Game Maker due to familiarization and it's something we're learning in my college.
Not to sound harsh but any college teaching/using Game Maker should not be teaching Game Development.. But It was just a suggestion, I see you have no intention of switching so good luck and i'll be following your progress... because i think this is cool :)

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
I don't see why?
It's a coding language just as anything else.
Some better than this, yes. But it's what we are currently learning.

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
Years
GameMaker is better than using an engine in C++. It gives you an easy to use IDE and the company developing it is adding a C++ compiler (to replace the current interpreter) in the next version so it should be as fast as one too. Don't say that the company who are making it are not experts in the programming field because they are. The team that is making it is headed by Sandy Duncan who was head of Xbox in Europe and Mike Daily who created Grand Theft Auto and Lemmings. The company is funded by the Scottish government where the company building resides.

GameMaker does a good job of teaching basic programming. Its form of abstraction makes it a nice way to learn critical concepts. I learned just about everything I know about programming (memory, critical optimizations which includes using bitwise operators, polymorphism, the process of 3d rendering through matrices and when you use DLLs you extend your knowledge grows even more with things such as threads and packets). You're underestimating how powerful it really is, King Charizard. I learned these concepts faster than I would have if I jumped directly to C++.

Anyway, I'm not sure of what use this project really is. It seems outdated in terms of graphical style and therefore perhaps even a few features so only a few would really want to use it. Honestly, I think more people would use a Minish Cap styled engine.

KingCharizard

Years
GameMaker is better than using an engine in C++. It gives you an easy to use IDE and the company developing it is adding a C++ compiler (to replace the current interpreter) in the next version so it should be as fast as one too. Don't say that the company who are making it are not experts in the programming field because they are. The team that is making it is headed by Sandy Duncan who was head of Xbox in Europe and Mike Daily who created Grand Theft Auto and Lemmings. The company is funded by the Scottish government where the company building resides.

Yeah the people who made it are in fact experts who have made the entire engine probably in C++. The industry standard.
GameMaker does a good job of teaching basic programming.
at the college level you shouldn't be learning such things. Besides, GML is not a good language to learn its sloppy it teaches you bad programming habits. Its like trying to shoot fish in a barrel. Your not gonna learn algebra in college are you? No your expected to go into college knowing algebra.

I don't see why?
As I said above GameMaker is very basic, its like the ABC blocks a baby would use. There is not one area of professional game development that I know of that your experience with GameMaker will be beneficial. Since this is a college class I assume you want to develop games seriously. You'll see soon enough that GameMaker will not help you reach that goal.

As a hobbyist GameMaker wouldn't be a bad toy. If you want to seriously develop games you'll need to look into more professional languages. It doesn't necessarily have to be C++, it could be Java, Python, LUA, C, C++, C# or other languages that engines use such as UnityScript or UnrealScript.

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
Years
at the college level you shouldn't be learning such things. Besides, GML is not a good language to learn its sloppy it teaches you bad programming habits. Its like trying to shoot fish in a barrel. Your not gonna learn algebra in college are you? No your expected to go into college knowing algebra.
I disagree. In my Intro to Computer Science course I took last year, we started with Alice as most courses do. Game Maker is better than Alice in terms of features. Not everyone understands basic concepts. Our class moved on to Python later and a majority failed. I'm sure more people would have failed without Alice. I also disagree about bad habits. There are bad habits in every language, especially C++.

As I said above GameMaker is very basic, its like the ABC blocks a baby would use. There is not one area of professional game development that I know of that your experience with GameMaker will be beneficial. Since this is a college class I assume you want to develop games seriously. You'll see soon enough that GameMaker will not help you reach that goal.

As a hobbyist GameMaker wouldn't be a bad toy. If you want to seriously develop games you'll need to look into more professional languages. It doesn't necessarily have to be C++, it could be Java, Python, LUA, C, C++, C# or other languages that engines use such as UnityScript or UnrealScript.
No. GameMaker produces games at a professional level. It allows you to make Android, iOS, Windows, Windows 8, Windows 8 Phone, OSX and HTML5 using a single code set. You can make a multi-platform product at a very low cost.

I'm sure you're not programming in C++ at a level that would be considered on par with other software, Mr. Extraordinaire. I'm sure you're not an expert. You would probably make a game using the C++ STL, which is a huge no-no. GameMaker is highly optimized and does things correctly. Though probably not as optimized as Unity, I can probably make something that you make in C++ in a fraction of the time and at better speed and with more flexibility. Don't question what language others choose. There are a lot out there and each have their advantages and disadvantages but GameMaker is no let-me-down. I prefer programming in GameMaker over C++ at most times.

KingCharizard

Years
I'm sure you're not programming in C++ at a level that would be considered on par with other software, Mr. Extraordinaire. I'm sure you're not an expert. You would probably make a game using the C++ STL, which is a huge no-no. GameMaker is highly optimized and does things correctly. Though probably not as optimized as Unity, I can probably make something that you make in C++ in a fraction of the time and at better speed and with more flexibility. Don't question what language others choose. There are a lot out there and each have their advantages and disadvantages but GameMaker is no let-me-down. I prefer programming in GameMaker over C++ at most times.

STL(Standard Template Library) a no no? Really? Love to hear your reasoning behind this statement..The only valid reason is performance but if programmed properly its not an issue... While not perfect the STL is very valuable... Also you cannot make an entire game using the STL. I use C++ and Direct X to develop games. Also your assumption of my skills is wrong and insulting...

Android, iOS, Windows, Windows 8, Windows 8 Phone, OSX and HTML5
Since when? so can construct 2

I've looked at the Gamemaker website they have changed alot added some fancy grahics to their site. but the core features of the engine remain he same, they just raised the prices its still the same and still doesn't change my opinion.. FYI this is no way in hell I would pay $499.00 for GM and wouldnt advise anyone to do so either...

No. GameMaker produces games at a professional level.
Name one...

I offered a suggestion to the OP and your turning this into an argument. I'm not gonna argue you have your opinion I have mine lets leave it at that

Last edited:
Back