• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Which do you think is the best starter?

oocyst

SOFTware
Years
I love Tepig, but I didn't choose it. I chose Oshawott because I'm used to water types and my friend already chose Tepig. I don't really like Snivy or it's evolutions. Oshawott's first evo is great, but Samurott is so ugly and I don't see how an otter turns into some kind of sea monster creature thing. I don't really know which one is the best game wise, but Emboar seems very strong to me.

Years
  • Seen Oct 1, 2016
Personally, I like Tepig. Even though I'm completely tired of his typing, I like Tepig's design and Emboar's is pretty good too (I don't like Pignite very much, though). He is the least picked starter of the three (Snivy because of the initial Smugleaf reaction and Oshawott because of his woobieness) and therefore I like how he is under appreciated. Also his moveset is extremely diverse. (Heat Crash/Brick Break/Scald/Grass Knot FTW) Also I dislike Oshawott (though Samurott is awesome) and Snivy sort of bores me.

Years
Snivy's my favorite, honestly. I didn't like the final form but grew to adore it later on.

It isn't exactly strong, but if you tack Swords Dance on it or get a Dream World Snivy with the Contrary ability + Leaf Storm, you can be quite a powerhouse~ Plus it's a decent tank (what it's meant for based on stats) :P

Years
  • Seen Dec 3, 2011
I would have to say that Tepig is the best because I love fire types.

Once my Tepig evolved into a Pignite he came in real handy when I faced Lenora and Burgh,and when Pignite evolved into Emboar he came in real handy when I faced Brycen.

So I say that Tepig is the best Unova starter!

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2011
Tepig is by far the greatest starter as it evolves into Pignite. Once it evolves it is able to use moves such as Grass Knot which you can receive by a TM. As a fire and fighting type it already has a wide array of moves to choose from. But, once it learns Grass Knot it can take down the other starter Oshawott. It already has been able to beat Snivy. Now though, it can take down the Pokemon your rival chooses. In conclusion, Tepig is the greatest starter Pokemon of this set.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
He is the least picked starter of the three (Snivy because of the initial Smugleaf reaction and Oshawott because of his woobieness) and therefore I like how he is under appreciated.

I never thought about this but I agree that this definitely adds to my appreciation of Tepig. I feel like I'm defending his cute little pig behind from all the haters, because he's just a cute little pig and you hurt his feelings when you call him ugly and insult his typing ;~~~~;

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Oshawott, simply because it's cute, strong and cute? Snivy has a terrible movepool and doesn't learn the most exciting moves at the start of the game. Or anywhere else in the game, to be honest lol. Tepig was cute and packed a huge punch but didn't quite do it for me. The 3rd time Fire/Fighting, Emboar ruined it for me. ):

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
In terms of design, I like both Snivy and Oshawott. Oshawott would the the best to start with. I was going to choose Snivy at first, but later on before the release of B/W, I went ahead and chose Oshawott. Because it was soooo cute. Later in the game as it evolved into Dewott and into Samurott, I grew to love it even more.

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
Years
Well I started with Tepig, and I felt that he was very easy to run through the game with because of his fire/fighting typing. My next starter if I do a play through on my white will be Oshawott because I just don't like Snivy all that much as a pokemon in general.

Years
Well I started with Tepig, and I felt that he was very easy to run through the game with because of his fire/fighting typing. My next starter if I do a play through on my white will be Oshawott because I just don't like Snivy all that much as a pokemon in general.

Yeah, Oshawott is cool and cute!

Snivy is my least favorite Unova starter.

And why? Because according to the man I use as my source of walkthroughs, Marriland; he says this in one of his Pokemon White Adventure videos - Tepig is really good, Oshawott is really good, Snivy is not so good. I only recommend you choose Snivy if you want to play in hard mode or if you just like Snivy.

And I think he is right!

Actionhero112

Apply the lotion now!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 13, 2012
Snivy's pretty cool. Once it evolves into serperior you can just coil then sweep every in game team.

Tepig is probably my favorite though. As its name says what it is. (Teh pig)

Kylectro

Eevee Breeder
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 20, 2011
I chose Oshawott.
Always have gone a water starter since Pokemon Red/Blue and because Dewott just looks so awesome
I don't like the evolutions of Tepig
And Snivy?... Nuff said.

Summersaurus

Rawrr ❤
Years
I think Tepig is the best starter to chose from because of the moves it learns after evolving into Pignite mostly for the second gym and Plasma members =P
I think Snivy is the best of all three designs it looks amazing.. strong but cute too =3
I started with Oshawott my first time around because it is just soo cute but ended up getting Tepig because of the reason up there =)

Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2011
I'd say snivy. That's what I picked.
I still love snivy a lot.
Its second evolution, Servine, ended up being my favorite pokemon.
I think it's pretty strong too. Mine is now a level 89 Serperior, and he has rarely lost me a battle. c:
All 3 evolutions are very nice looking too.

I ended up trading for a Tepig and Oshawott though, to get all 3 starters. Snivy still stands as the best.

リザードン☆

Charizard evolved into..
Years
I think Tepig is the best of the three to start your journey with given it doesn't have a nature that hinders the attack stat, from it learning decent pyshical attacks so early on these being Flame Charge and Arm Thrust which in effect gives you a fighting chance against the second gym which in my opinion was the hardest using Snivy and Oshawott.
Based solely on overall design I think Snivy wins this contest for me, it looks so badass yet cute and the fact the it's green in color just makes it even more awesome. It was dubbed Smugleaf before its english name was revealed for its smug-like face/eyes which are what I like most about Snivy's design.
I started my journey with Tepig now an Emboar because between two friends and myself much like the beginning of the game each chose a different starter
Pokémon.. myself being Cheren not having a choice and taking the leftovers, which turned out to be a good thing.

Juzey

I love Shaymin!!!
Years
  • Seen Sep 3, 2012
I chose Tepig. I always choose the cutest one. But then I got rid of it quite quickly.

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
I like the look of the Snivy line the best, but I chose Oshawott and I'm very happy with my decision. I was really disappointed with Tepig's line (Fire/Fighting again?!) because I usually start with Fire-types.

Years
I always choose fire, so Tepig it is. Op said everything really. Its nice to have that fighting type early on. Plus it can learn earthquake an wild charge to help out.

Back