The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacking Research & Development
Development All-Instrument Patch (FireRed, Ruby, Emerald)

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!

Old December 27th, 2014 (2:20 PM).
AKA KarjamP

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipatix View Post
    Well it's pretty nice someone finally did this. The thing I don't like about that is that it uses those very old Roland Sound Canvas samples (which are almost 20 years old?) which imo don't sound very natural and have this typical MIDI synthesized sound everyone knows. I'd go for some more high quality samples but, well, it's still a decent job you ported it from FE.
    I'd just like to point out that it's the Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth that comes with every Windows system that sucks when it comes to the quality of the samples, not the synthesizer its soundset's based upon (the Roland SC-55).

The Roland SC-55 uses higher quality versions of the samples used in the Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth, and while they resemble each other (especially when it comes to drum kits), there are noticable differences in quality of the sound if you were to play a song in Roland SC-55 (or future Roland Synthesisers that uses a similar soundset or can use a similar soundset, such as the Roland SD-50 {AKA the "Mobile Studio Canvas"} ).

Anyway, the fact of the matter is, there are better General Midi samples.

If I were the one who made this patch, I'd attempt to map the samples already existing in the game to their General Midi equivalents and borrow the samples from other games if said sample doesn't exist within the ROM.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alisa180 View Post
    Part of the problem is it's often extremely difficult to find high quality samples of the instruments you want, especially if the instrument is more obscure. For example, you won't believe the lengths I went to find shamisen samples, before I realized the HGSS Music patch had it. And I had no idea where I could find skakuhachi samples without paying for it. And samples for the Rain FX instrument were non-existent.

You can import from DS, but that can only take you so far. For those without good ears, it can be hard for us to discern between undocumented instruments. And even in games with documented sound fonts, no game has every instrument. Like, none of the Pokemon games seemed to have Electric Bass (Pick), an endless source of frustration for me. Not much luck finding samples for it online either.
    I wouldn't worry about that if I were you - the General Midi standard only names the instruments. It doesn't tell you how they should sound like. This very fact is stated in the technical specs of the sound set to General Midi.

http://www.midi.org/techspecs/gm1sound.php

Relevant Advertising!

Old December 28th, 2014 (1:46 AM).
    Sound Expert

Nature: Relaxed
      Actually, there is quite a few good open sample libraries. (see Crisis GM 3, SGM, Musyng Kite)
      Obviously you need to trim those before inserting them since most the samples are stereo and have super long loops which would take up too much memory usually. There is quite a lot of work involved redoing shorter sample loops, compressing (dynamics, not data) and EQing but with all of that you can get some pretty amazing sounds even for rare instruments and make them sound pretty good. Usually pretty low samplerates are enough because GBA Pokemon games run on 13379 Hz by default which doesn't require samples at >16 kHz obviously (which would cause more aliasing anyway),
      Old January 6th, 2015 (1:27 PM). Edited January 6th, 2015 by Spherical Ice.
      Dumb Apples

Nature: Calm
        Hey, I'm having a slight problem. I can't hear the drums in a few songs I inserted into the game.
        I can hear in sappy quite well. The drums plays throughout the whole song.

But as seen (or heard) in the video it can't be heard.

HELP PLEASE!!!

GO Team Victory St★r!!!!!!
        Old January 6th, 2015 (4:02 PM).
        Sound Expert

Remeber that by default Pokemon games have a track limit of 10. It seems like the hack doesn't intend to change that or failed to do so.
          Old January 7th, 2015 (2:08 AM). Edited January 7th, 2015 by BlankPoints.
          Dumb Apples

How would one go about changing this problem?

UPDATE: the 10 track limit is not the problem. I deleted one of the tracks to decrease the number and the drums still won't play.

Old January 7th, 2015 (9:21 AM).
            Rejishan awake...

Nature: Hardy
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Trask3000 View Post
              How would one go about changing this problem?

UPDATE: the 10 track limit is not the problem. I deleted one of the tracks to decrease the number and the drums still won't play.
              You do it wrong dude... 10 limiter is not for tracks. But for Instruments played at the same time. Change it better for 12. It that do not help. You must change your midi to fit on 12 <Or 10 by default> Instruments played at the same time.
              Old January 8th, 2015 (1:47 AM).
              Sound Expert

Well the limit of 10 applys to the tracks but at the same time you need to care about the Voice limit (5 by default). Either trim the Midi so not too many notes play at the same time or increase the voice limit.

Usually this works by looking for a 4 aligned string of bytes: 0x00 0xC5 0x94 0x00
                It "should" be the first occurance if there is multiple.
                and replacing it with 0x00 0xC? 0x94 0x00 (replace ? with the voice limit; 12 is max)
                Old January 8th, 2015 (4:59 AM).
                Dumb Apples

Quote:
                  Well the limit of 10 applys to the tracks but at the same time you need to care about the Voice limit (5 by default). Either trim the Midi so not too many notes play at the same time or increase the voice limit.

Usually this works by looking for a 4 aligned string of bytes: 0x00 0xC5 0x94 0x00
                  It "should" be the first occurance if there is multiple.
                  and replacing it with 0x00 0xC? 0x94 0x00 (replace ? with the voice limit; 12 is max)
                  I did that as well, I'll probably might have to decrease the notes played at one time.

Old January 8th, 2015 (8:12 AM).
                  Sound Expert

Well, you shouldn't go obviously above 12 then. Otherwise you might try moving the track upwards in the song to give it a higher priority and see what happens. If it still doesn't work it would mean that something else is broken.
                    Old January 8th, 2015 (11:07 AM).
                    Dumb Apples

Quote:
                      Well, you shouldn't go obviously above 12 then. Otherwise you might try moving the track upwards in the song to give it a higher priority and see what happens. If it still doesn't work it would mean that something else is broken.
                      Still doesn't work :( .

I even tried inserting a song with only drum and that still didn't work-ish. Interesting to note that when played in Sappy it sound normal but when in the GBA emulator you can hear VERY small "pecks" in the sound replicating the drums. I only notice this when my speakers were at FULL volume.

Old January 9th, 2015 (6:09 AM).
                      Sound Expert

Can you upload a patch so I can have a look at it?
                        Old January 9th, 2015 (9:28 AM).
                        Dumb Apples

Quote:
                          Can you upload a patch so I can have a look at it?
                          Do you mean a patch of my test rom or of the All instruments patch?

My test rom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wuw7knq5eixw5ya/Trask3000%20FireRed%20Rom%20Patch.ips?dl=0
                          ^ I think this is the one you are asking for otherwise

All Instrument Patch (FireRed): https://www.dropbox.com/s/3t10e0vih4j9f5q/All-Instrument%20Patch%20%28FireRed%29.zip

Old January 9th, 2015 (3:19 PM).
                          Sound Expert

I haven't tried it yet but there is something wrong with your patch. The file is only 63 bytes big and cannot contain anything useful.
                            Old January 9th, 2015 (4:47 PM).
                            Dumb Apples

Quote:
                              I haven't tried it yet but there is something wrong with your patch. The file is only 63 bytes big and cannot contain anything useful.
                              Sorry :(, I thought I did it right.
                              FireRed: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g56zbzsh8vakzcp/Trask300%20Test%20Rom.ips?dl=0

Old January 10th, 2015 (4:04 AM).
                              Sound Expert

Well, whoever made this instrument patch was smart enough to put the drum table to an unaligned offset which obviously makes everything fail (the hardware doesn't support unaligned memory reads).
                                You could probably solve that by moving the drum table from Instr #127 to a 4 byte aligned offset and changing the drum table pointer in the voicegroup accordingly
                                Old January 10th, 2015 (8:27 AM). Edited January 10th, 2015 by Spherical Ice.
                                Dumb Apples

Quote:
                                  Well, whoever made this instrument patch was smart enough to put the drum table to an unaligned offset which obviously makes everything fail (the hardware doesn't support unaligned memory reads).
                                  You could probably solve that by moving the drum table from Instr #127 to a 4 byte aligned offset and changing the drum table pointer in the voicegroup accordingly
                                  Sorry to keep bothering you but how would you go about moving the drum table to a 4 byte aligned offset?

I found out how to do it :). THANK YOU SO MUCH

UPDATE:The results. If you are wondering the drums in this song are bongos.

Old January 10th, 2015 (3:55 PM).

Quote:
                                    What!? The drum table has to be in an aligned offset!? I didn't know that...God damn it...I'll have to fix that.

I haven't abandoned this. Just been busy with other things which have higher priority for me (School, the DS mugshot hack, my own fledging ROM hack). ipatix, thank you for helping people in here! This is a big enough glitch that I'll get on fixing it right away!

Also, I'll look into those sample libraries you provided, and perhaps create a patch with higher quality instruments. I have a question, though. In the HGSS Music Patch Thread, GoGo mentioned you guys found a way to mass import instruments. Can you possibly provide more information on that? Another big reason for this patch is that it takes an eternity to import instruments using the method provided by GoGo's Sappy tutorial.
                                    Old January 10th, 2015 (4:29 PM).
                                    Sound Expert

Well, you mostly need to place everything aligned. Song header (not the track data), voicegroups, samples. Pretty much everything. You should always use aligned offset for whatever you do with music.
                                      Old January 28th, 2015 (4:10 PM). Edited January 29th, 2015 by Spherical Ice.
                                      Dumb Apples

Sorry, me again. I seem to have another problem :|

The Cymbals in my drum voicegroup are off. In Sappy you hear them perfectly but when in game they sound like a pinging noise. The video below shows what I'm talking about. You could hear it at the beginning and throughout the entire song.

Help Please :(

Old January 30th, 2015 (3:43 AM).
                                        jiangzhengwenjzw jiangzhengwenjzw is offline
                                        You can (not) redo.

This patch is really great, but my question is how I can adapt these features to an already started hack?
                                          Old January 30th, 2015 (9:48 AM).
                                          AKA KarjamP

The reason why it sounds alright in Sappy but not in GBA is because Sappy's implementation of the sound engine is flawed.

Aside from songs sounding different in Sappy than within the ROM, the program also tends to crash if a certain music instruction is passed to it (explaining why you can't listen to Petalburg Woods' song within Sappy without it crashing).

While I would have suggested using an alternative right now, I don't know of any other program that allows you to insert custom instruments into a game rom.
                                            Old January 31st, 2015 (6:30 AM).
                                            Dumb Apples

Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by Karjam View Post
                                              The reason why it sounds alright in Sappy but not in GBA is because Sappy's implementation of the sound engine is flawed.

Aside from songs sounding different in Sappy than within the ROM, the program also tends to crash if a certain music instruction is passed to it (explaining why you can't listen to Petalburg Woods' song within Sappy without it crashing).

While I would have suggested using an alternative right now, I don't know of any other program that allows you to insert custom instruments into a game rom.
                                              I guess this is something I will have to deal with as an ongoing issue. Sigh :(

Old April 1st, 2015 (10:49 PM).

Nature: Hasty
                                                I patched the Emerald patch to a clean ROM, then assembled a song with the offset 0x1130C5C, but the music just crashes when I try. Is there anything wrong, or do I need to use a special Emerald ROM? Because New UPS tells me that my clean ROM does not match the patch.
                                                Old April 7th, 2015 (2:52 AM).
                                                Former Douchebag

Nature: Rash
                                                  AWESOME ! AWESOME ! JUST AWESOME ! Thanks !

Name: Boid
                                                  Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
                                                  Old April 7th, 2015 (3:10 AM).
                                                  Former Douchebag

Nature: Rash
                                                    I just had a question... I patched my FireRed hack , but now I just get a white screen ! What's the problem ?
                                                    ( It's not a clean rom , since it's a hack. )

Name: Boid
                                                    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

Quick Reply