• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Dreary [100% Complete, 1/28/2019] (v1.4, 3/26/2019)

Years
The solemn mood going on was great but there were definitely a lot of questions left unanswered, especially with that kind of ending. It's a shame there won't be a sequel, certainly could've tied up several loose threads!

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 5, 2021
I've played a fair share of hacks with varyfing levels of writing quality, but holy hell, this was the worst snowball downwards I have ever experienced in my life. Starts awesome, there's teleportation, illusions, suspicious Giovanni, not-suspicious-at-all Evan, unsettling flashbacks (including to main timeline), but then...
Spoiler:

TL;DR wrote above to let out the steam caused by disappointment with the story, 3/10 would not recommend, particularly after seeing Unbound set up and use Darkrai properly in like 3 minutes while here the setup leads to a pitful and annoying reveal.

Years
Played this last weekend but I was disappointed overall.

• Well, first off, the rival has no use in the whole story of the game. You might as well remove the rival character and the story will not even be affected by it.
  • The battle mechanics are inconsistent between generations. Fairy-types exist; this suggests Gen 6 and so on, but then my Pikachu gets paralysed after using Thunder Wave on Espeon, who synchronizes it back.
  • Sabrina is also completely useless in the story. You battle her once (yes, the Espeon is hers) but you forget it afterwards.
  • There are zero clue where to go or teleport next; you need to talk to almost everybody until you find a way. I remember I got stuck at Saffron City for around half an hour, and I was playing on 8x speed at that time.
  • Dialga, Palkia, and Darkrai are added and included in the story in the most terrible way, imo. I find Dialga and Palkia to be worthless, and Darkrai fights to be unexpectedly difficult.
  • One final bug, "Indigo Plateau" is written in ALL CAPS inconsistently. You know, the Route 23 before Victory Road one? The walls with statues, whenever you interact with them, say "Indigo Plateau, the highest level authorithy, Pokémon League HQ"? Yes, I was talking about there.

Can't recommend this hack, also. If you want to play a short romhack but still want to have fun, do yourself a favour and play Naillevaihcam or Magical Altering Gym Menagerie. These are way better.

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
Hi all, the sequel to this game was cancelled years ago since I retired from hacking. However, in order to provide some closure to the disappointing ending, I added two old development clips showing the "true ending" which would have been the start of the sequel. You can find these clips in the Frequently Asked Questions section on the original post.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 4, 2024
I beat this game, Red is dead, congratulations! Interesting dark story hack, however I cheated...to make so many Full Restores😂... I think foe's pokemon are more likely to use paralysis, sleep to my pokemon, I lack of medicine :( so cheat is needed.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 1, 2023
hi. when i talk to darkray at the power plant the aonly thing i can see is black nothing happens - whats wrong i restarte ist now multiple times

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 1, 2023
hi i play on mGBA and i get stuck at the powerplant the darkray event . when i talk to darkray the picture goes plack and stays waiting does nothing reopening too

help

Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Nov 27, 2023
finished it today, the ending definitely was something, i didnt see it coming 😭 i hoped there was a good ending where you don't die but doesnt seem like it..i hope eventually the game will get a sequel or something, if it doesnt already have one :( dialga help

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
I finished it today and admittedly I loved it all but the ending. I get you wanted to show the darkness of it all, but it felt.. off. I can't think of any other way to describe it.

Another way it coulda gone, after a battle, the player has two choices. Kill him, or walk away( and then you could still do the ' kill the player bit' by havingl Ike Darkrai appear and murk em)

Either way it ends in a dark death tbh. Cause lbr

Dreary probably woulda had some back up people to do his work like that scientist.

But overall I enjoyed the darkenss and the mystery and wait for another

Back