• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You know what they say about the 'first time'

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
Quick question I have:

On average, how difficult do you find writing the first in-character post for a roleplay to be? I'd like to hear answers from players' perspectives. What factors personally make the process easier or harder? Does it often just "come to you" regardless? Why or why not?

Last edited:
Years
I wouldn't say there's any one single contributing factor, but it's definitely the hardest post to make for most RPs. I think really it's just that you're only just getting into the swing of everything.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
Quick question I have:

On average, how difficult do you find writing the first in-character post for a roleplay to be? I'd like to hear answers from players' perspectives. What factors personally make the process easier or harder? Does it often just "come to you" regardless? Why or why not?

personally, I found the first post to be the easiest. Now, I can't think of anything to write xD

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
It depends on how much I actually like the character and look forward to telling their stories. There's been a couple of characters that I liked while I was creating them, trying to figure out powers and deciding how they should be and all that but then end up loathing the idea of actually telling their stories. Other times however, I just can't wait to get into a character's shoes and let them fly. For me personally, it usually just comes to me. Isolating myself from distractions such as video games, youtube and my family/friends helps as well. Gotta get into that certain state of mind and then it just happens.

Junier

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
I wouldn't say there's any one single contributing factor, but it's definitely the hardest post to make for most RPs.
Any particular experiences you've had that helped instill that perspective?
personally, I found the first post to be the easiest. Now, I can't think of anything to write xD
What RP(s) in-particular might you be referencing? Could they perhaps be categorized a certain way? And what do you think contributed to it being easy to whip up a post at first but a harder task now that you have?

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023

What RP(s) in-particular might you be referencing? Could they perhaps be categorized a certain way? And what do you think contributed to it being easy to whip up a post at first but a harder task now that you have?

Capes mostly. I think the hardest part tbh is just communicating with other players. If you don't do that enough, you don't have much to post about :p

Junier

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
It depends on how much I actually like the character and look forward to telling their stories.
Interesting note about the character itself inspiring a want to write. Would you say that motivation is mostly dependent on yourself or is there something a game master or even another player could do to help influence a positive perception of your character past the creating process?
I think the hardest part tbh is just communicating with other players. If you don't do that enough, you don't have much to post about :p
And similarly to the question above, is there something the game master of Capes and possibly "sandbox"-style RPs of that gene could do to encourage interconnection between players and characters? Or perhaps they're doing a fine job and it's harder just to sustain those connections as a player?

Maybe maintaining connections should be better balanced with individual pursuits within a roleplay with Capes in the instance that overall activity becomes less constant. That's the thought I'd immediately draw but I'd like to hear your perspective.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
Interesting note about the character itself inspiring a want to write. Would you say that motivation is mostly dependent on yourself or is there something a game master or even another player could do to help influence a positive perception of your character past the creating process?

If you're not inspired by your character then why bother trying to write about them? As far as I remember, most RPs ask for either a link to a previous work showing that you are in fact a competent writer or they ask for you to write a post as the character. I believe the better practice is to write that day in the life of your character rather than coping out and using something you've already done. If you knock out the first post when you make the character then you'll have all of your ideas gathered at the same time and know exactly how you want your character to move in the world and have something to look back on later if you lose track. If you can talk to the other players and get to see what their ideas are, it might inspire you to get it into gear. If all else fails, what always makes me get myself into gear is having other people wait on me. See if someone wants to do a joint post and then you can directly collaborate with each other and ease each other into the setting and your characters.

A lot of RPs have group chats on discord, there's also the OOC threads and if all else fails you can always contact each other through VM or PM. Even if the GMs don't, most players will try and make sure that they have some sort of communication with each other so that everyone's on the same page. And it's especially important when doing sandbox type rps since you're more or less free to do whatever and the likelihood of stepping on someone else's toes are higher,.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023

And similarly to the question above, is there something the game master of Capes and possibly "sandbox"-style RPs of that gene could do to encourage interconnection between players and characters? Or perhaps they're doing a fine job and it's harder just to sustain those connections as a player?

Maybe maintaining connections should be better balanced with individual pursuits within a roleplay with Capes in the instance that overall activity becomes less constant. That's the thought I'd immediately draw but I'd like to hear your perspective.
wow long survey. I like surveys.

I think they are doing a 7.8/10 job, it's mostly my own fault for not actually PMing people I think.

Years

Just personal experience. I've always found that first post the hardest to make. You're just getting to know your character and those of the other participants, you don't have much or any prior plot or interactions to build off of etc.

Capes mostly. I think the hardest part tbh is just communicating with other players. If you don't do that enough, you don't have much to post about :p

Personally I think you're off to a good start. You're active in the chat and all that. You just need a bit more confidence in yourself.

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years
I'm in the Cutiefly School of First Posts: I find them to be, holistically, a lot more easy to write than subsequent ones.

The first post is exciting since you get to test out your character for the very first time! It usually is just a flavorful introduction of your character out of their Moment Before, demonstrating and exemplifying the outline you made for them in your SU. It's the following posts that really test if you've crafted an interesting enough character for yourself to keep writing as them.

As a personal example, Cicaro in Cornered and his style of interaction kept me involved, while by contrast, when it came to put Koestler in IIS into action ... despite the interesting background, I didn't care to write any more about her PAST the first post.​

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
Years
The first post is by far the easiest for me. I guess its because i'm generally fresh off making an SU and the ideas are still inside my mind. After awhile the ideas fade away and i'm stuck trying to remember what my original plans were. I'm the kind of person who doesn't like to stray too far from his plan, but that's inevitable so eh.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 28, 2018
It depends.

I've joined rps and 1x1's (and started writing my own stories) where I find out in the process of starting a post or chapter that there's not enough information about the world itself for me to properly imagine my character in it, so I half-ass and potluck it (with personal stories, I just go back and try to make a proper outline of an overarching plot).

It's also harder if you're one of the first to make a post in the IC queue for a bigger group, because I always feel like you help set the tone of the rp and you've gotta build off of or around what other posts have already brought to the table in order to give yourself and the next few players an interesting or inviting impression of the world. I bet especially if you're the GM and you wanna set the scene in the IC first, you're not only doing it to inspire other players, but you're inadvertantly showing them that this is the standard of writing you want off the bat, too.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
Years
Gee willikers, finally a thread I can provide worthwhile input for! That hasn't happened since the dolphins css discussion thread!

I personally don't want to generalise that first posts are easier or harder than subsequent ones. I've been in situations where I could push out a first post really easily, then had a big moment of 'what next?' where I couldn't come up with anything new; other cases where the first post was a challenge to get right, but it kickstarted the following posts into being much easier; and sometimes I just find all posts equally easy/challenging to write.

I think generally there are two challenges players (or at least, myself) face when writing their first post in any RP. The first is the issue of not having a goal or objective. I've seen this happen countless times to myself and others, where GMs don't give a clear direction to the RP from the start, deciding to give players objectives further down the line 'once everyone is settled'. Posting goals/tasks to complete is much more important at the start of the RP than any other time, because it's the part where players are getting used to their characters and the setting, and need a set of training wheels to help them make their own way at start. And while most people agree objectives should a must in story-driven RPs, I think they should be present as well in 'sandbox' RPs.

Which brings me to the second challenge, which has nothing to do with the GM but is with the player instead: getting settled into the character. I can, one hundred percent, guarantee that every single long-term character I've written has strayed away from the core of their SU by the second (and sometimes even first) post, with the effect only getting stronger with time (see: Dust, Gunpowder). Sometimes I have an idea of how the character would behave in the SU, yet once it's time to put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) it just doesn't click, and most writers can understand the feeling. This then makes writing the first post a particular pain to write, because on one hand I'm trying to stay true to the SU, but on the other I'm trying to write a character which is enjoyable and interesting. Sometimes that means ignoring the first one and straying off the SU a little. (But who cares, I'm accepted anyway. GM can't touch these buns.)

Honestly though, the first post is usually the second most fun part of joining a new RP, (the most fun part is obviously all the fantasizing among the players) and usually the most fun to read from other people as well.

Junier

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
The first post is exciting since you get to test out your character for the very first time!
You had a respectable reply overall but this sentence and all subsequent points were most striking to me, mainly because my knee jerk response is that this shouldn't be the case. Would it not come across as deceiving to a game master to come in one character concept and end with another? Why don't players have a stronger grasp of the character they're introducing to a roleplay beforehand?
Foxrally said:
I can, one hundred percent, guarantee that every single long-term character I've written has strayed away from the core of their SU by the second (and sometimes even first) post, with the effect only getting stronger with time (see: Dust, Gunpowder). Sometimes I have an idea of how the character would behave in the SU, yet once it's time to put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) it just doesn't click, and most writers can understand the feeling.
Fox expressed similar sentiments, and again I'd like to pose an inquiry: where does the difficulty of adhering to a sign-up ultimately stem from? On one hand, what a player envisions could fail to match an end result, but on the other, there should be methods set in place to prevent a falling-out or an out-of-left-field transformation as a player struggles to embody their original ideas.
Oddball said:
After awhile the ideas fade away and i'm stuck trying to remember what my original plans were. I'm the kind of person who doesn't like to stray too far from his plan, but that's inevitable so eh.
This is essentially what Oddball expressed and I can wholeheartedly sympathize. Kiyo mentioned being able to immediately become invested with his character for Cornered At the Market, Cicaro, but it was the opposite for me and Rina whose first post came quickly but, as soon as the situation at Forget-Me-Not shifted in a direction I hadn't anticipated, I was struck with the reality that Rina couldn't become the antagonistic force I had planned; she was overall too immature and insecure to fit that intended role. While my personal lack of foresight played into the resulting disheartened feeling towards my character, I also feel as if there had been better work-shopping conducted for Cornered--the time provided to do so, rather than the need to hustle to put an app up first to get a spot--the situation would've gone smoother, so I ultimately place the blame on the sign-up process. The "first-come-first-serve" method of accepting sign-ups is too disadvantageous on many fronts and the fact that the sign-up itself didn't necessitate actual insight into a character as a whole, essentially requiring face-value essentials like how the Pokemon looks and what moves she or he knows, some stand-out past experiences, as well as where the Pokemon was from, and personality traits.

I'm of the opinion that a coherent "Personality" is arbitrary, not telling of a character in a long run. I would say it's nice to keep track of a few characteristic details but, ultimately, as Fox worded, characters transform when the requirement suddenly becomes to actually breathe life into them. I think what I conclude, in the end, is that the sign-up process should be scrutinized more, but at the same time, sign-ups themselves shouldn't be relied upon. Characters change, so instead of listing out details about how a player imagines them in the present, a overall concept should be communicated, what impression a player wants to give and what role amidst a cast that character may be attributable with.
As far as I remember, most RPs ask for either a link to a previous work showing that you are in fact a competent writer or they ask for you to write a post as the character. I believe the better practice is to write that day in the life of your character rather than coping out and using something you've already done..
I think experimenting with a character beforehand is very useful, so I would not only agree that writing "a day in the life" when given that sort of option for the "Roleplay Sample" approach many RPs here have taken is the right way to go, but also that "Roleplay Sample" sections of that variant should be abolished entirely to require in-character responses of that nature because of how ultimately helpful it is. I also believe that brainstorming and discussing with others is a fascinating way to build a better grasp of one's character, as well as that character's standing within a larger, interconnected, and dynamic cast.

BIG shout out to Off The Menu, which I'm super excited for, which explicitly encouraged discussions and trading feedback revolving in-progress characters. Kiyo himself is already providing criticism and commentary, both which are especially useful, on sign-ups, unfinished or otherwise. I'd say that's exemplary game master behavior: openly helping players bring characters to life.

Regarding Fox's additional point about game masters having a responsibility to provide a tangible objective from the beginning, I strongly agree. Like a good story, a roleplay should never start out during a dull or uninteresting moment, as I see it. Even arriving at the main location can be more than just "unboarding the boat and reflecting on why you're here". Immediate investment leads to long-term investment! Give players a purpose to post!

I also liked YDV's sentiment: being first and worse. I will concur that game masters should always leave a good impression for their players to follow.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
And here I have been struggling for days with how to start writing for Capes haha. I'm definitely on the team that thinks the first post is one of the trickier things to do in a RP. (along with "personality" sections of SUs urgh)

I think I should take some things that's been said in this thread, to heart. It's not necessarily bad if a character strays from their initial SU. I often use the SU as a reference for what I initially planned to do with the character. But yeah, sometimes even in your first post, you realize that you want to do things differently. If ever so slightly.

I'm also a fan of relatively firm direction at the beginning of RPs haha. So starting to write for Capes now in a city I don't know, and not being sure of where I fit into the story so far, is quite daunting. Heh.

Junier

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
engineer said:
I'm also a fan of relatively firm direction at the beginning of RPs
Just wanted to say I'm of this opinion as well, lol

And KIYO: I realized my first sentence in my direct reply to you came of as super shady and my lazy ass didn't wanted to go back to fix the erroneous wording there. Sincere apologies.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
I think first posts are honestly rather boring to write as opposed to necesarrily difficult. No story has been built yet, there's nothing to explore, apart from what is provided statically by what the GM provides and what other characters/players are currently around.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
To be honest, my first post I think is normally the best. I am always confident with my opening post, but I start to worry throughout the RP. I think this may be because I fear that I can't develop a character enough to make it good. I think I have always had that problem with writing and I try my best to make it the best I can.

Back