• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Woman who reported rape in Dubai sentenced to 16 months in jail

Years
  • Seen Dec 3, 2013
Do not be mistaken, Silais. Being cautious and blaming the victim are two very different things.

People blame the victim because they can't understand the reason they were raped, they revoke the reason, or they are afraid. Rape is about domination, control, and to a point in some cases, bodily desires. The latter most being least common. The type of people who blame rape victims think that rape is all about sex, and because of that, they see the perpetrator as a sex-crazed rapist, and the victim as the ***** who inevitably had it coming. No pun intended.
Another cause of Victim Blaming can be found in fear. People need to find a way to blame the victim, so they can reassure themselves that they're safe.

Blaming the victim sounds like:
"She always hangs out at that bar, it was only a matter of time"

Being cautious is when you don't blindly trust the accuser. As terrible as it may well sound, emotions cannot play into this kind of situation, or at least not in a legal case.
People lie. That's the cold truth. Some people lie more then others, and about things that shouldn't be lied about. Because of that, you can't just take people at they're word when lives are at stake.
That's why it matters so much to find out who is lying, and who is honest.

In other words, "Trust; but verify."
You never know who is unscrupulous, and who is honest.

By the way, your "God will save the innocent" attitude comes across as very naive. I would suggest not saying "So what?" about people being wrongfully prosecuted.

Last edited:

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
Do not be mistaken, Silais. Being cautious and blaming the victim are two very different things.

People blame the victim because they can't understand the reason they were raped, they revoke the reason, or they are afraid. Rape is about domination, control, and to a point in some cases, bodily desires. The latter most being least common. The type of people who blame rape victims think that rape is all about sex, and because of that, they see the perpetrator as a sex-crazed rapist, and the victim as the ***** who inevitably had it coming. No pun intended.
Another cause of Victim Blaming can be found in fear. People need to find a way to blame the victim, so they can reassure themselves that they're safe.

Blaming the victim sounds like:
"She always hangs out at that bar, it was only a matter of time"

Being cautious is when you don't blindly trust the accuser. As terrible as it may well sound, emotions cannot play into this kind of situation, or at least not in a legal case.
People lie. That's the cold truth. Some people lie more then others, and about things that shouldn't be lied about. Because of that, you can't just take people at they're word when lives are at stake.
That's why it matters so much to find out who is lying, and who is honest.

In other words, "Trust; but verify."
You never know who is unscrupulous, and who is honest.

By the way, your "God will save the innocent" attitude comes across as very naive. I would suggest not saying "So what?" about people being wrongfully prosecuted.

Please do not treat me like an infant. I am aware of the difference between blind trust and caution. However, that does not change the fact that many people see rape victims as perpetrators to their own demise. It has nothing to do with fear or scapegoating; it has to do with the age-old idea that people must have acted a certain way to receive certain actions taken against them. Sure, there are some people who are too ignorant to realize rape is hardly about sexual desire (old conservative white men, for instance), but I rarely see this concept raised in defense of calling the victim dishonest. People are more willing to distrust someone who has been victimized because they are more eager to believe that the person did something to deserve what they received rather than them being helpless and unwilling. It's an American-sort-of concept; we want everyone to take responsibility for themselves and act in the "appropriate" way, and being a victim challenges that. People still ask what the rape victim was wearing, if she was drunk, or if she had a sexual history that was less than "acceptable".

I say "so what" because it should have no effect on the treatment of people claiming to have been raped; these kinds of biases affect how women (and men) are treated when they go to the authorities about sexual crimes. The cold truth is that you can never stop human beings from lying, and we should not assume that everyone is lying simply because human nature tends to use lying as a meat shield against persecution and prosecution. "Trust but verify" is a good philosophy, but that is different than immediate mistrust. People should have an unbiased view of a crime when researching and collecting evidence, otherwise what is the point of research and evidence?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 3, 2013
It seems I have to reiterate myself again in this same thread.

"To further stress my standing, I do not, and wouldn't, assume honesty nor deceit with any such matter."

"To make an assumption is to form a theory before you learn the facts. When you have a theory before the facts, you'll bend them to fit what you assumed.

"In this particular case, I have damned neither the alleged victim, nor the accused. All I said was that basing a legal system on religious beliefs is hogwash. I personally do not believe that I have enough facts to judge intelligently."

I have been saying the same thing this whole time. I do not trust nor disbelieve anybody.
I have only said that assuming innocence or guilt doesn't matter, both are wretched mistakes on the part of the observer.

My reasoning behind explaining the difference between Victim Blaming and caution was that;
I still can't believe that people think that because some women lie about rape that every woman that says they were raped deserves extreme scrutiny and mistrust. Why are we putting pressure on the victims? Yes, some women say they were raped when they were not—so what? This is victim blaming at its finest.
You seemed to have confused them.

By the by, how does;
"As terrible as it may well sound, emotions cannot play into this kind of situation, or at least not in a legal case."
Read to you as me saying that I automatically distrust any one who says they were raped?

Edit: Hum, Live, you don't mind us conversing general rape in this thread, do you? I didn't even think about it, but this thread is supposed to be for the Dubai case; and we seem to have drifted a bit. This line of discussion is still relevant, I hope?

Last edited:
Back