• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Wallace or Steven?

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Mar 14, 2016
Sheep said:
Steven for sure. I love his character, especially with how much more fleshed out it was in ORAS, and a steel type champion is pretty unique even now. Wallace never really gave off a champion vibe to me and I never cared as much for his character while Steven was almost like the icon of gen III. ♥
I agree, Steven is awesome

Wallace is a total idiot he runs away at the sky pillar, he's a coward

Last edited by a moderator:

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
Years
Yeah, Steven just has so much more real estate and dialogue in the game. Kind of hard to compare him to Wallace in that way.

Jetfire

أربعة ملوك السماوية
Years
  • Age 32
  • ???
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Champion Wallace was definitely a shocker in Emerald. I was surprised but left with the question, what happened to Steven?

Steven is the rightful Champion of Hoenn but I'm not against the idea of Wallace being the champ while he's gone.

Babypiplup

ポッチャマ
Years
Steven is the better champion not that i have anything against Wallace, Steven was just stronger and more of a challenge

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
Years
I love them both, but I gotta say I like Steven better because I don't really like having two mandatory Water type bosses in one game, plus Steven has a Metagross.... sooooo yeah. It was neat how you got both bosses in ORAS anyways because you fight Wallace's Champion team during the Delta episode.

Sirfetch’d

For years I liked Steven more but Wallace is so graceful and over time I have just started to appreciate and like him more. His team is fabulous and just everything about his appearance is lovely.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
Years
I'm not a huge fan of Walace, though he's a fine champion.
I much perfer Steven, who acts like sort of a friend to the player in the games. He's a respectable trainer, and person. I think back during the 3rd generation Walace was more popular though xD

Years
I haven't played Emerald, but I've spent hours on Sapphire...

Despite this, I wish Wallace was the champion in all of the games. Steven's personality has never appealed to me, but Wallace has! Also, water-types are my favorite (thus the name Ky0greK1ng), so there may be some bias there... {XD}

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
While I love Wallace, I don't think he makes a good Champion. Not only is there a Water-Type Gym Leader on the path to reach him, but Wallace's team features exclusively Water-Types! All other "mono-Type Champions" have at most 3 Pokémon of their primary Type, lending them some diversity and more challenge when you have to face them. But if you were prepared to face Juan, you were prepared to face Wallace, since each of his Pokémon was Water-Type in some way.

Steven doesn't face this issue, and there isn't a Steel-Type Gym Leader to "prepare" you beforehand, either. So while I love both of them as characters, I'd have to say Steven makes the better Champion.

C2i

Tomorrow never comes; today never ends
Years
so basically it's a steely cool guy vs fabulous flamboyant guy thread?

Late to the party here, but this comment made me laugh.

I'll have to choose the "steely cool guy" over "fabulous flamboyant guy" since I've always admired Steven for being the first "real" champion I encountered in the games. Steel is hands down my favorite type, and I absolutely love that he's considered the strongest trainer in all of Hoenn in all three of the original Hoenn games.

Other than that, Steven has always seemed like the best champion of the Pokemon games, though I'd love to see them all clash some day!

Years
I am not a huge fan of the third Generation of Pokémon. Why am I here? Probably because I feel the need to smell you later. Anyways, I felt that both Wallace and Steven were too fond of their Pokémon Types being Steel and Water.

Having great Electric Pokémon available means doom for Wallce.

On Steven: If you're smart, you grabbed a Pokémon with Flamethrower.

I try balancing all of My Pokémon teams and trying not to have more than one over lapping type. But, in terms of difficulty and weaknesses?

This goes to Wallace. Wallace is the better than Steven, albeit by not very much. You can absolutely destroy Steven's Champion team with a single Pokémon knowing a good Fire Type move and any move type that can one shot his Claydol (Bug, Ghost, Dark, Water, Grass or Ice), but Wallace has that awful Whiscash that always seems to miraculously survive more than three turns (Unless your Electric Type knows a Grass move, you'll be switching out quickly).

I know people like Steven, but Wallace's Whiscash trumps Steven's Claydol in terms of weaknesses. Whiscash is only weak to Grass type moves (x4), while Claydol is weak to six different Move Types (x2), giving you loads more options at dealing with Steven's team.

Both Champions, to me, are weak sauce.

Probably should mention I don't have the remakes.

Last edited:

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
I prefer Steven mainly because he was more involved in the game than Wallace ever was. Steven first appears early in the game but Wallace doesn't show up until the 8th gym.

Last edited:
Years
I love the idea of Wallace ascending to the role of Champion come Emerald, but Steven is still my favorite of the two. I do love the idea of characters like Lance, Wallace, and Iris having an increased role as time goes on though, and I wish we would see it more often.

DarumaLuge

Pokemaniac
Years
Steven all the way, he contributes a lot to the storyline, not to mention his personality is also very interesting. He's very different from everyone else we see in Pokemon. He's just this quirky asexual rockmaniac xD He helps out the player a lot in the games and risks himself in the manga version. It was also very interesting that he was a Steel-Type Champion. I totally wasn't expecting that, and was glad I had at least one Fire type user in my team.

I found him to be more of a challenge than Wallace. Water types aren't that hard to beat imo. Also, we don't really get to know much about Wallace other than the fact we spoke with him in the Cave of Origin. It was frankly jarring to see him as Champ in Emerald, wonder why this was done?

Back