• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Pokemon do you dislike battling against?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
So, if you're playing competitive, or if you're even playing against different challenges in-game, is there a particular pokemon that you don't particularly like to battle against? What is it about that pokemon that you don't like about it?

GlitchWarrior

A Rookie with Heart
Years
I particularly detest Snorlax, Walrein and Wailord. They spams Curse, use Rest, Chesto out of it, and then start spamming Body Slam/Ice Ball/Waterfall. And I'm helpless against these three. My brother isn't quite fond of Gliscor himself, and I'm sure many a player has been on the recieving end of the popular Ferrothorn lead. Although that last one is ENTIRELY a lead...

Team Embrace

Team Embrace Boss
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 14, 2022
Magearna. It has one of the best typings in the game ,that plus soul heart AND good stats make it too good in my experience.

Years
Mega Medicham would have to be my poison, that thing has almost no switch ins unless the mon in question is sableye or a bulky psychic type with reliable recovery. Everything else that can come in has to play a 50/50 game with High Jump Kick, Ice punch, or Zen Headbutt.

Last edited:

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
Years
Def Eelektross. It being an electric type, I assumed I'd be able to KO it with a ground move
but
NOPE. It has the ability of levitate. Making it even harder to wipe out.

Years
Def Eelektross. It being an electric type, I assumed I'd be able to KO it with a ground move
but
NOPE. It has the ability of levitate. Making it even harder to wipe out.

To be fair, it's also pretty mediocre by the standards of the current meta.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jan 17, 2019
sigilyph is terrible to battle if i dont take it out soon enough. toxapex sucks as well.

Anti

return of the king
Years
hmm,

in dpp it was rotom-a and salamence. rotom-a (all app forms were elec/ghost that gen and basically interchangeable) was a top 5 pokemon that gen and it was suuuuuper hard to play against the defensive sets because they could threaten everything with tbolt and wisp--they were not passive at all. all of my struggles to break stall that gen usually boiled down to struggling to beat that pokemon consistently. as for salamence, i still don't know what to make of latias, but salamence was stupid busted and its ban was totally deserved. dd and mixed were both broken on their own imo, so guessing between them and its gazillion other viable sets (who could forget the aldaron bulky ddmence fad, early dp specsmence, or even cbmence) was cancer. actually very similar to...

xy was charizard because the mega-x/y guessing was not ideal (even though team structure gave it away 90% of the time), but more importantly because x have the versatility to go dd sweep or will o wisp made it very frustrating to play against. i was always weak to that thing :/

haven't played sun/moon but zygarde seemed dumb b/c of glare. if i did play, i suspect i would hate toxapex because regenerator is a dumb ability and is the defensive side of the game's version of the more obvious offensive power creep coming in since gen 4/5. rewards sloppy play.

also, all gens: trappers. dumbest and most broken mechanic in the competitive game, and after playing a decade i think my only real hot take is magnet pull, arena trap, and shadow tag should be banned from basically everything. totally uncompetitive and while i respect something like magneton/zone acting as a sort of inherent type balance to steel and see why my opinion with that would be minority, things like advance dugtrio and xy gothitelle (before its oras ban) are/were always stupid. no fun to play against pokemon who prevent switching in a game whose primary skill element at a competitive level comes from switching. ugh.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Nov 3, 2023
Any Pokemon that can be a viable stall set:

Numerous of these are out there, I've never played the games of new gens but from PokeShowdown I know that Toxapex is a viable stallmon, as is gengar, sableye mega, etc.
If it can learn toxic, recover, protect, and willowisp all in one, then I hate going against it.
Protect and Recover for obvious reasons, and then toxic cant hit steel types, but willowisp can, toxic cant hit poison types, but willowisp can.

It's horrible to fight one of these things given how bulky they are.
The biggest stallmons I hate: Toxapex, Wobbuffet with Destiny Bond, and Gengar

Years
Haven't played sun/moon but zygarde seemed dumb b/c of glare. if i did play, i suspect i would hate toxapex because regenerator is a dumb ability and is the defensive side of the game's version of the more obvious offensive power creep coming in since gen 4/5. rewards sloppy play.

What's weird, for me anyway, is that I very rarely have actually come across Glare on Zygarde. The set I'm used to seeing is Thousand Arrows/Extreme Speed/Dragon Dance/Substitute or something like that. Personally, I didn't feel a ban was necessary but I have to admit that Thousand Arrows is crazy shit. Not that either Glare or Thousand Arrows on Zygarde will be much of an issue now that 50% is banned.

also, all gens: trappers. dumbest and most broken mechanic in the competitive game, and after playing a decade i think my only real hot take is magnet pull, arena trap, and shadow tag should be banned from basically everything. totally uncompetitive and while i respect something like magneton/zone acting as a sort of inherent type balance to steel and see why my opinion with that would be minority, things like advance dugtrio and xy gothitelle (before its oras ban) are/were always stupid. no fun to play against pokemon who prevent switching in a game whose primary skill element at a competitive level comes from switching. ugh.

Can't say I disagree. Although I think Magnezone and it's pre-evos are okay. What are your thoughts on Pursuit then?

Any Pokemon that can be a viable stall set:

Numerous of these are out there, I've never played the games of new gens but from PokeShowdown I know that Toxapex is a viable stallmon, as is gengar, sableye mega, etc.
If it can learn toxic, recover, protect, and willowisp all in one, then I hate going against it.
Protect and Recover for obvious reasons, and then toxic cant hit steel types, but willowisp can, toxic cant hit poison types, but willowisp can.

It's horrible to fight one of these things given how bulky they are.
The biggest stallmons I hate: Toxapex, Wobbuffet with Destiny Bond, and Gengar

Few mon run two different status moves because they eat up too many move slots and leave you vulnerable to taunt unless you're Sableye. I'm with you on Stall mons being a pain in the ass to face though.

I do have to say though, Wobb isn't a stall mon really and anyone running a stall Gengar deserves every loss they get. Gengar is way too frail to effectively stall.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Nov 3, 2023
What's weird, for me anyway, is that I very rarely have actually come across Glare on Zygarde. The set I'm used to seeing is Thousand Arrows/Extreme Speed/Dragon Dance/Substitute or something like that. Personally, I didn't feel a ban was necessary but I have to admit that Thousand Arrows is crazy muk. Not that either Glare or Thousand Arrows on Zygarde will be much of an issue now that 50% is banned.

Can't say I disagree. Although I think Magnezone and it's pre-evos are okay. What are your thoughts on Pursuit then?

Few mon run two different status moves because they eat up too many move slots and leave you vulnerable to taunt unless you're Sableye. I'm with you on Stall mons being a pain in the ass to face though.

I do have to say though, Wobb isn't a stall mon really and anyone running a stall Gengar deserves every loss they get. Gengar is way too frail to effectively stall.

Gengar is effective at stalling if it has destiny bond, because then they really dont want to hit you

Years
Gengar is effective at stalling if it has destiny bond, because then they really dont want to hit you

Gengar is too frail to be a stall mon. destiny bond cannot be spammed anymore and it gets removed from the battlefield by anything (scarf or not) that is faster than it. The destiny bond scenario is more useful at trading mons than it is for mind games. Stalling also is not a matter of "i do not want to hit you" it is more of a "I want to wait you out" strategy.

Zankew

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
Years
I dont like fighting against blissy. After taking damage, it uses softboiled and recovers health.
Then again after taking damage, uses softboiled and this continues for about a million hours and finally when it's softboiled PP becomes 0 then i see it using 'wish'...

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
Celesteela. It can be interesting, but most of the time they run Leech Seed + Protect.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
When I played competitive I disliked fighting against stall teams, lost against one guy who literally just started using them and figuring out how they work, maybe I sucked back then but who knows, felt like Ash losing against newbies. PP stalled me (and bored me) to death and whittled me down. And I dislike fighting most generic Smugon shills. But it is what it is. No hard feelings.

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
BASED ON THIS THREAD LOOKS LIKE ELF STALL NEEDS TO COME OUT OF RETIREMENT FOR ANOTHER CRUSADE TO RETAKE CONSTANTINOPLE AKA THE LADDER!

Tbh i find defoggers to be annoying. Mostly cos it removes the hazards game from the competitive meta where as in previous gens rapid spin vs ghost was more skill based. :\

Last edited:

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Age 32
  • NSFW
  • Seen Jun 18, 2019
BASED ON THIS THREAD LOOKS LIKE ELF STALL NEEDS TO COME OUT OF RETIREMENT FOR ANOTHER CRUSADE TO RETAKE CONSTANTINOPLE AKA THE LADDER!

Tbh i find defoggers to be annoying. Mostly cos it removes the hazards game from the competitive meta where as in previous gens rapid spin vs ghost was more skill based. :\

Amen. Stall is hard to pull off in SM (skipped ORAS and XY). I always hated Jirachi just because of Serene Grace + Iron Head (or Zen Headbutt). Since I don't play OU anymore and just play LC, I'd have to say Abra. It's strong and can't be OHKO'd cause of Magic Guard + Sash.

Gen 1 - Rhydon. It always seemed to get a Sub up against me.

Gen 2 - Misdreavus.

Gen 3 + 4 - Jirachi because it's the devil.

Also Anti you're wrong. Salamence deserves to be freed. Remember how prominent Breloom became once it was banned?

Last edited:
Back