• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Which EV spread is better suited for a SmashPass Gorebyss?:
1. 252 HP/32 SDef/224 Spe (Calm nature)
2. 252 HP/4 SAtk/252 Spe (Timid nature)

I'd say the second one. Speed is vital when smashpassing. Although I've never used it myself that much.

Didn't Smashpass get banned? ;o;

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022

I'd say the second one. Speed is vital when smashpassing. Although I've never used it myself that much.

Didn't Smashpass get banned? ;o;

No, it didn't.

Espeon was booted out of UU iirc but aside from that...

Bonzai-Cat

The Best Around
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 22, 2011
Rattata EV Train

Hey I'm looking for some tips on Speed EV training my Rattata for a novelty set.

Basically I want my Rattata to be slow enough that an enemy could hit it first but to be fast enough to outrun most enemies when they are paralyzed.

Is this possible or am I just thinking up a pipe dream?

Telling me the EV spread for the speed and the Nature for the Rattata would be greatly appreciated and please note if it has to happen or if it would be more efficient I'm willing to evolve it into a Raticate to make this work.

PS. I want this to be applicable for OU

Years
Just use FEAR Rattata, it's a gimmick, but it can usually kill stuff if they opponent is unprepared [Which they will be].

Rattata @ Focus Sash
EVs and Nature don't matter
-Quick Attack
-Endeavor
-Filler
-Filler

Bonzai-Cat

The Best Around
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 22, 2011
Yeah I was going to use that.
What I'm looking for is how many EV's to put into the Rattata.

If the Rattata works I plan on calling it back and saving it for later to attack some Paralyzed pokemon.

So what I need to know is how many EV's do I put into Rattata to;

#1: Be Slow enough so that most Pokemon Can attack him first
and
#2: Be fast enough that he can outrun a good portion of paralyzed pokemon.

I want to at least cripple one more Pokemon with Endeaver before Rattata dies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Why would you want that? Raticate has the same Speed issues as Haxorus, so you're best off with max Speed or close to it. Also, Raticate isn't so useful in OU because of its poor defenses, somewhat shallow movepool and if it uses Guts in conjunction with Flame/Toxic Orb and if it's up against a sand team, then it gets worn down quicker.

Edit: I get it. Use a FEAR Rattata as said above. Try what Karpman suggested. EVs and nature don't really matter, since you'll hit an opponent with Endeavor after Focus Sash activates and finish it off with Quick Attack.

Bonzai-Cat

The Best Around
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 22, 2011
Yes I understand that but the problem with that strategy is that Rattata becomes a one Kill pokemon with that. I want Rattata to be able to Endeaver one more pokemon after its first kill but the problem is he's too slow for that and I don't know if he's fast enough to beat an average pokemon when it's paralyzed.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
Just use it in trick room ?

Rattata sucks at Endeavouring anyway, the set is terrible and is obsolete (it was last gen too lol). Cleffa/Fable/Fairy and Solosis/Duosion/Reuniclus are the best ones as they have Magic Guard so arent lolweather and hazard crushed so will get more than one kill in Trick Room. Plus due to Magic Guard you can use it with hail/sand and actually beat mons with Leftovers and finish them off.

Last edited:

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
I have a question about breeding for certain moves: If I acquire a Turtwig, Grotle, or Torterra that was taught Stealth Rock via TM in Gen IV, and this Pokemon also knows Leech Seed, will it be able to pass down both Stealth Rock and Leech Seed to a Ferroseed?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I have a question about breeding for certain moves: If I acquire a Turtwig, Grotle, or Torterra that was taught Stealth Rock via TM in Gen IV, and this Pokemon also knows Leech Seed, will it be able to pass down both Stealth Rock and Leech Seed to a Ferroseed?

As someone who's done that strategy before: yes, yes you can do that.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years

OK, awesome. Now, I just need to find a Turtwig, Grotle, or Torterra that meets my requirements. Or, would I be able to somehow breed Stealth Rock onto a Turtwig?

You can't breed SR to Turtwig, but you can use the SR TM on Turtwig in Gen IV, then transfer it over.

greg0915

Tomorrow is a new day
Years
I'm in need of a good set for my Mightyena, I'm breeding him with Ice Fang, Fir Fang, Thunder Fang and Poison Fang.

PikachuGuy

THOSE CHU'Z
Years
Hey ya'll....I am in need for a decent moveset for a future Pikachu for in-game. I am so torn between a Physical and Special moveset....

I first thought Timid was the best, but after seeing his very limited Special move arsenal, I had second thoughts. Anyways, here the moveset I thought of:

Light Ball
252 Speed, 252 Sp Attack, 6 HP

T-Bolt
T-Wave
Grass Knot
Toxic

Then I thought Adamant Physical moveset would be decent, given his base Attack is actually higher than Sp. Attack, which surprised me.

Light Ball
252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP

Volt Tackle OR Thunder Punch
Brick Break
Return
Toxic OR Substitute

He's only in-game, however I will use him against my friends. Both seem like good sets, with the special being more an annoyer than sweeper, and the physical being an all-out sweeper. Post your opinions....

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
I'm in need of a good set for my Mightyena, I'm breeding him with Ice Fang, Fir Fang, Thunder Fang and Poison Fang.

Mightyena @Life Orb
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
Ability: Moxie
-Sucker Punch
-Return
-Fire Fang
-Pursuit/Ice Fang/Thunder Fang

This set's great for quick kills and can do a lot of damage with Moxie and a Life Orb, although Mightyena isn't the greatest of Pokemon it can still do damage, or there's an alternative in case you want speed.

Mightyena @Toxic Orb
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
Ability: Quick Feet
-Protect/Howl
-Facade
-Crunch
-Fire Fang

This set utilizes Mightyena's alternate ability and allowing him to buff his speed up. Although he won't live long with less than good defenses and the Toxic Orb chipping away at its HP.

Hey ya'll....I am in need for a decent moveset for a future Pikachu for in-game. I am so torn between a Physical and Special moveset....

I first thought Timid was the best, but after seeing his very limited Special move arsenal, I had second thoughts. Anyways, here the moveset I thought of:

Light Ball
252 Speed, 252 Sp Attack, 6 HP

T-Bolt
T-Wave
Grass Knot
Toxic

Then I thought Adamant Physical moveset would be decent, given his base Attack is actually higher than Sp. Attack, which surprised me.

Light Ball
252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP

Volt Tackle OR Thunder Punch
Brick Break
Return
Toxic OR Substitute

He's only in-game, however I will use him against my friends. Both seem like good sets, with the special being more an annoyer than sweeper, and the physical being an all-out sweeper. Post your opinions....

Moves like Toxic, Thunder Wave etc are useless on Pikachu IMO. He doesn't have the bulk to use the moves and then fight. The special set is better, he may have 5 points less in his Special attack but he can boost it.

Pikachu @Light Ball
EVs: 6 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
Ability: LightningRod
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power [Ice]
-Encore / Grass Knot
-Nasty Plot

This set gives you almost perfect coverage against anything in the game. If you're not wanting to go for Ev's/Items etc just take them out. To get Nasty Plot you have to raise it from a Pichu. C:

PikachuGuy

THOSE CHU'Z
Years
Thanks dragonomega. Looks like a pretty good moveset. Also, EV's are a must in my opinion, so I'll add those. Better to max his potential.

Years
First EV trained Pokemon for competing

My Charizard is an EV training experiment which I did to see how his stats would end up and if he'd be good or not, rate if you desire ;)

BTW: its to be a mixed sweeper with a little closer
to even Special Attack and Attack and I need to breed
a better Charizard for certain moves (Focus Punch and/or Dragon pulse)

Charizard@(Nothing at the moment)
Blaze
252 Atk; 154 Spd; 104 SAtk.
Mild
-Earthquake
-Flamethrower
-Aerial Ace
-Swords Dance

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Charizard is primarily a special attacker, so a primarily physical set doesn't leave it with a lot of power. It's better off with a primarily special mixed set if you choose to go mixed. In that case, Swords Dance isn't a very good option, unless you're going pure physical (this is assuming Gen IV and V):
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast
-Air Slash
-Brick Break
-Roost
Nature: Mild
EVs: 40 Atk/252 SAtk/216 Spe
Item: Life Orb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back