Third Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Draconius GO

Old September 21st, 2017 (12:31 AM).
  • Platinum Tier
  • PokéCommunity Daily
  • Discord Moderoid
  • Developer

Nature: Quirky
If you played Ruby / Sapphire around when they came out, did you have any issues with it that you hoped would be fixed in Emerald? Additionally, did those issues get fixed or not?

Relevant Advertising!

Old September 29th, 2017 (8:04 AM).
Like a rhythm to the sea
  • Platinum Tier

Nature: Quiet
I genuinely don't think there would be anything else Emerald could have improved other than maybe the story slightly. Although I never really minded when I played it originally, in retrospect, I did feel that not a whole lot changed with the story (if at all) with the exception of Kyogre and Groudon battling in Sootopolis and Rayquaza Saving The Day. I dunno, I would've expected some more significant change in the story and not really be the same thing as RS, but eh....

I'll be chasing waterfalls tonight

Old 4 Weeks Ago (9:14 AM).

Nature: Lax
    Fishing! I always found it difficult to catch fish in RSE - I wouldn't press A fast enough and the fish would get away. This is why I never bothered searching for Feebas in these games, so I never had one in this gen. FR/LG handled fishing better, and I wish that fixed fishing mechanic had been in Emerald too.
    Old 4 Weeks Ago (9:40 AM).

Nature: Hasty
      I would say being able to fight Steven Stone in Meteor Falls each time you defeat the Elite Four, who should also have their Pokémon's levels increased.

It will save players the hassle of being screwed over by internal battery issues.
      Old 4 Weeks Ago (7:30 PM).
      Like a rhythm to the sea
      • Platinum Tier

Nature: Quiet
      I would've also appreciated Feebas being more easier to catch in Emerald than in RS, and I mean a lot easier.

Catching a Feebas back in Gen III was near-impossible, really. @[email protected]

I'll be chasing waterfalls tonight

Old 4 Weeks Ago (10:31 AM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by colours View Post
        I genuinely don't think there would be anything else Emerald could have improved other than maybe the story slightly. Although I never really minded when I played it originally, in retrospect, I did feel that not a whole lot changed with the story (if at all) with the exception of Kyogre and Groudon battling in Sootopolis and Rayquaza Saving The Day. I dunno, I would've expected some more significant change in the story and not really be the same thing as RS, but eh....
        I agree completely, which is why Emerald should've really been "Ruby and Sapphire 2," IMO. RS had already diverged from many of the standards of the RBY/GSC era, so why continue the stale third version tradition instead of doing something more interesting and inventive with a sequel?

Emerald could've been so much more than it was. Just look at how many things B2W2 added and changed in comparison to the third versions.
        Old 3 Weeks Ago (2:06 AM).
        The Uncaged Wrath
        • Platinum Tier

Nature: Naive
        Emerald could have had a more different story yeah. Be a sort of sequel to the Ruby/Sapphire cataclysm where Rayquaza did something instead.

Also a day/night system would have made Emerald one of the utterly best pokemon games ever.

on demoted leave of absence
        Old 3 Weeks Ago (3:49 PM).

Nature: Quirky
          I think it would've been better if Wallace wasn't the champion. Nothing against Wallace, just, with a Water type champion, Water type final gym leader, a team that uses Water types, and the amount of Water trainers you fight on the ocean routes... Yeesh, I can see why people complained about the amount of water in Hoenn so much.

I also kind of wish that the climax had a little more to it - but then again, seeing Rayquaza appear, tell Kyogre and Groudon to STFU, and then leaving and the day is saved, is pretty freaking hilarious in its own right.
          Old 2 Weeks Ago (1:10 AM).
          Champion

Nature: Sassy
            I really hate the fishing in RSE, fishing is already more troublesome than grass walking, no need to remove our ability to spam A button like we can in FR/LG.

Also wish that both Ruby and Sapphire pokemon could be caught in Emerald.

And yes, have the Elite Four levels increased after you beat it. On a whole they should take more lessons from FR/LG.
            Old 1 Week Ago (11:57 AM).
            I am the best in the world.
            • Silver Tier

Nature: Adamant
            Bar the Phys/Special Split, I feel Emerald is a perfect pokemon game, well paced, decent difficulty, nice pokedex of pokemon and is really fun to play.

Quick Reply