• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Basic Grey: A Standard Metal Links Deck

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
Hey everyone! I just wanted to see if I could get some feedback on a Golgari Dredge Metal Links deck I threw together on the TCGO.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

Pokémon - 19
1 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
1 Jirachi ROS 42
3-2 Bronzong PHF 60-61
3-2-3 Metagross AOR 47-49
1 Dialga-EX PHF 62
2-1 M Scizor-EX BKP 76-77

Trainer Cards - 25
2 Switch HS 102
2 Wally ROS 94
1 Lysandre FLF 90
2 Acro Bike PRC 122
2 Pokémon Fan Club FLF 94
1 Scizor Spirit Link BKP 111
2 Teammates PRC 141
2 Float Stone BKT 137
2 Reverse Valley BKP 110
1 Skyla BKT 148
3 Professor Birch's Observations PRC 134
1 Rare Candy PRC 135
3 Muscle Band XY 121
1 VS Seeker PHF 109

Energy - 16
12 Metal Energy HS 122
4 Double Colorless Energy NXD 92

Card Details

The Engine
3-2 Bronzong PHF 60-61: Back when I played the TCG in real life, I ran a deck based on Eelektric (NVI 75). This works the same way, except more metallic. Bronzong is a 90 HP stage 1 that only matters for it's ability, Metal Links. This allows me to attach a Metal Energy from the discard pile to one of my benched Pokemon. This is in addition to the standard attach for the turn, and having both Bronzong out means I get to do it twice in a turn. The ability to attack 3 energy means I can sometimes drop Dialga-EX onto my bench, attach a DCE and 2 Metals, move forward, and do 150 damage on the turn it left my hand. Not at all broken, we assure you. POSSIBLE CHANGES: Add an additional 1-1

The Attackers
1 Dialga-EX PHF 62: This is my anti-EX tech. Besides the above combo, Dialga's main use is it's first attack, which is 60 for 1 and a DCE and prevents the EX that took the attack from attacking on it's next turn. Screw you too, Lucario EX. Also, it's second attack does 150 for 2 and 2 at the cost of discarding 2 Metals, which is an easily solveable problem compliments of Bronzong. POSSIBLE CHANGES: Remove

3-2-3 Metagross AOR 47-49: Metagross was initially the primary attacker of this deck, and remains the only thing capable of OHKOing the big EXes (and even then only with a Muscle Band). Metagross' attack is 2 Metal and a DCE to do 80 damage, plus 80 more if you choose to discard all the 2 metal energy attached to it. Of course, these two energies can be immediately re-routed to a benched attacker OR you can use Metagross' Ability in combination with a benched mon holding a Float Stone (usually Bronzong). Meta's Ability causes both players to switch their active Pokemon out with someone on their bench once per turn at your leisure. Use this to bring Meta back to the bench, then use Metal Links to attach the discarded energy back onto Metagross, then Retreat your new active and blow something up again. POSSIBLE CHANGES: Remove in favor of some other Steel mon that can do 160+ damage and a Zoroark (BRP) line.

2-1 M Scizor-EX BKP 76-77: The newest addition to the deck, Scizor doesn't discard energy, but attacks for so few that dropping it to the bench with a Metal in hand, one Bronzong on the bench (or two and no metal in hand), and a way to get Scizor to the front results in 110 damage to whatever enemy was foolish enough to stand there watching. Scizor EX has an attack for 1 Metal that is useless, and an attack for 2 Metal that does 50 damage PLUS 60 more if it was on the bench at some point during the turn the attack was used. Metagross is adept at rescuing Scizor and allowing it to strike for 110 every turn, so that small detail isn't a problem. Mega Scizor removes that issue in it's entirety, as it's 2 Metal attack is a base 120 that has a nice side affect of removing an annoying Stadium or Special Energy should you so choose to accept it. POSSIBLE CHANGES: None

The Set Up
1 Shaymin-EX ROS 77: Put it on bench, draw until you have 6 cards in hand. Attach a DCE and use Sky Return to get it back. Simple enough. POSSIBLE CHANGES: Find and add more. Or don't.

1 Jirachi ROS 42: 'Rachi is a little less straight forward than Shaymin. It's meaningful attack is it's first one, which for one Metal lets you look at the top 7 cards of your deck and add one of your choice to your hand. Great for looking for evolutions and stuff like that. Jirachi's 1 and 1 second attack has you discard all the energy attached to it (which, as I said, is meaningless in this deck) in exchange for the defending Pokemon dying a horrible death at the end of it's next turn if it doesn't return to the bench. Great Cannon Fodder. POSSIBLE CHANGES: Add another. I love this card in this deck.

The Trainers
Items: Switch is an emergency evacuation button. Acro Bike gives you a card and often puts a Metal in the Discard Pile. Rare Candy is obligatory with a 3-2-3 Meta line, as it replaces the 3rd Metang. VS Seeker gives you freedom to choose your Supporter for the turn out of what lies in the Discard.
Tools: Float Stone is core to this deck, as it allows me to switch in and out by granting it's wielder free retreat. Muscle Band lets Dialga pick up KOes on 170 HP EXes, or lets Metagross snipe the 180s, or lets Scizor take out Garchomp. The Scizor Spirit Link is leaving the deck as soon as possible.
Supporters: Here we go. Wally lets me get out Bronzong or Metang or Metagross when needed (probably going to be replaced with Evosoda). Lysandre lets me kill that EX you were hiding in the back to charge. Pokemon Fan Club is better than Bridgette here because most of what you are getting out is Scizors and Shaymin. Teammates lets me gain momentum off a KO by giving me 2 cards of my choice (it's a more situational Twins), and is great because the opponent will almost always take first blood against this deck. Skyla lets me find one of the above (or below) for usage. Professor Birch's Observations is better than Shauna, but it's still not Professor Oak's New Theory.
Stadium: Reverse Valley gives each Steel type on my side of the field an old Special Metal Energy passive and removes any more annoying stadiums the opponent may have out.

Strategy
This deck is slowwwww. You need to get Bronzong and at least 2 attackers set up ASAP, which is at least turn 7 or 8 unless you get a Teammates off. If you get both Bronzong and 2 attackers up, you win the game, so just play it slow, stalling out the game until you are set up, then start nuking stuff.

Specific Matchups
VS Night March: Ugh. Night March is fast, repetitive, and overall annoying. Luckily, everything has low health and dies in 1 hit. Don't be afraid to use Shaymin's Sky Return to KO a Joltik, and leave a non-EX active whenever possible.

VS Fairy Spam: Don't let M-Garde set up. Everything you have KOes the Steel-weak Fairies, so get Scizor out ASAP and start killing things.

VS M-Mewtwo BS: This stuff is the bane of mana-ramp decks everywhere. Don't bother with Scizor. Muscle Banded Dialga or Metagross KO base Mewtwo and leave themselves with only 2 Energy attached, and they are your best bet this fight.

VS Red: Fire Decks are annoying. Just hope you kill the EXes before they Mega Evolve. And if they do, scare them away with Jirachi.

VS Garchomp: Scizor is your best friend here, as it can set up almost as fast as Chomp and OHKO with a Muscle Band.

So yeah, tell me what you think. What should I change?

Electricbluewolf

Bᴇ pıɟɟǝɹǝuʇ
Years
It's a pretty good standard set up, there are some changes I would make.

The Jirachi-I'd either get rid or change for the XY Promo one. The 7 card look up isn't needed in top play with the variety of trainers mail/supporters. I play an XY promo one for it's first attack-if it discards a special energy on the opponents Pokemon this Pokemon cannot be effected by attacks next turn. Not only can this stop Night March with only DCE, it bypasses items (so no toad stop) and the only way to bring Special back effectively atm is Garchomp. Just personal though, but for me it's an easy target.

I would run 3-3 of Brozong as well (I play Mega Manectric and if they have 2-2 I blow them out of the water then they have no acceleration)

I'd also add more Shaymin/Scizor. Unless you play Night March you're ideally looking at 2-4 Shaymin in any deck (I play one irl as I refuse to pay £20 for a HA card, ha). The only problem you might have is being Hex Maniac or ability locked with Garb, as that stops you getting your energy out to Scizor for his double attack.

You also might want to play an escape rope or Pokemon Catcher (or an extra Lysandre) as you might get EX blocked (regice/Suicune etc)

Overall it's a nice start to the deck, it's clear you've practiced much with it which is always a great thing.

Let me know how it goes :)

EDITS: Just seen 1 VS seeker, you need to play 3-4, serious life lines

Back