• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why does this keep happening... [aka romhacker problems]

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
Just a mini-rant, but why in the world is it, that every time I try to make a hack with an extremely simple concept it takes me to hell and back, with the most difficult and complex mechanics edits and scripts, and always requires making a custom functions/scripts just for the hack. 😑

I literally made 1 change, and had to figure out how to make a custom trade script, edit learnsets, and now I have to delve into decomp again to figure how to either change how an ability activates or how an entire category of moves work, or my hack isn't even playable. just wth.

OK so now that that's over, we've all had crazy stuff happen with our roms, when editing if you've ever wanted to let off steam with a rant or talk about the crazy things that went wrong in your hack this is the place for it.

just remember this isn't a help thread.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
Welp I've got more to get off my chest, I worked hard on my romhack, to get it completed in time for an early day post.
But it was broken all day because I forgot to replace something, when my stupid rom got corrupted and I had to reinsert all my scripts and other changes on a fresh rom, in the midnight hour.

Got most of it, but i forgot the most important part, that i needed to re-expand a table, and so all day my code was pointing to nothing.

F

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
sigh, Ok I enjoy romhacking I honestly due, but its a trip.

Just...the act of progressing and then working on new features is like being any main character in the bleach series.

One second you're Op kicking butt, then the next you've completely lost your powers and are just as feeble as when you began.

Then, you find out your power wasn't gone it was only dormant while it was evolving!! Now you're stronger than ever! !

...until the next arc 🙃

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
What the hell? Are you me? I literally have the exact same experience with this lmao

lol yeah that's how it goes for everyone I think, XD and welcome to the thread.
Its enjoyable but can be stressful, that's why I made this thread for people to kind
of blow off steam before they tackle the problem again.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
Reply...

....its 3am. My hack has been going really well lately.
I can't help but wonder, how long it'll be before everything goes horribly wrong again. o._o

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
Deep breath,.. I switched to decomp, its been better than I expected, but now I feel like I've been doing nothing but
filling in lines of data for days, just to make the repository and resource pack I'm using work.

So, decomp...easy to change but no quick fix tools, so sometimes there's a LOT of leg work involved.

I'm doing one major expansion and I feel like I've had to write the same almost 600 lines into about 15 different files. 😖

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Apr 12, 2024
I added new Pokemon, complete with learnsets, and then I dynamically compiled an XSE script. It thought the end of the level up learnset was free space, so now Type Null learns 100 moves.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
uugh I've lost near all motivation for my hack, I just want it to be done so I can enjoy it already.

Plus there's a new high school musical sequel; When will my suffering cease!!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
well to clear up, i've realized its not actual the entire hack that's sapping my motivation, its just all the monotonous stuff I need to do for the major feature I'm adding.
Smaller changes are still new and fun, for the most part.

Back