• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Which do you think is the best starter?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
495.png
498.png
501.png
  • Which of these three do you think is the best to start your journey with, the best overall and the best designed?
  • And which did you choose? Did you choose more than one, either through trading or through another playthrough?

Personally I think Tepig is the best starter, mainly cause it can learn fighting attacks, and if you've grinded it enough and evolved it, you can use Arm Thrust which easily kills Lenora's Pokemon. Overall though it's pretty good as far as typing goes. Like, generally Plasma uses dark types and normal types, so having a starter which can easily learn fighting attacks is really handy. Then you've got Clay which it easily takes, it learns fire attacks so can beat Burgh, and by the time you get to Elesa you can easily get a Sandile to take her on, and by the time you're at Skyla you can get Vanillite or an electric type. And then at that point you probably have other Pokemon which can take over from there, but really overall it's amazing as far as a starter goes. tbh I can't play through with any other starter, it just feels awkward/harder. Either way, that's why Tepig was my choice. And Tepig also has the best design out of the starters, just saying~

(If you posted in the last thread, you'll need to repost, 'cause vbulletin sucks like that).

Mr. Waltzie

Major Fan!
Years
In any games, any situation, even in Mystery Dungeon, I will always try my best to get myself a Water Pokemon, a.k.a I will always go for Water Starter. And thus, for me Oshawott is the best out of all. Why? I think Razor Shell is pretty 'kill' enough xD

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 18, 2017
I find Snivy to be the best if I don't grind a lot. During the early to mid game, I used Leaf Tornado, Leech Seed, and Mega Drain to slowly sap the opponent's hp (worked wonders against Lenora). Once it learns Coil, it's really easy to both wall physical opponents and sweep with Leaf Blade (6 Coils makes type coverage almost irrelevant).

However, if you want to finish the game a bit more quickly, I'd recommend Oshawott, since it has balanced stats that are easier to work with and more offensive moves.

Unfortunately, Tepig has a pretty fatal flaw that keeps me from recommending it: It's speed and defenses suck. It's attacking stats are awesome, but with it's crappy defensive stats and fire typing, it HAS to go first or else it's most likely OHKO'd. And it can't do that very often with 65 base speed.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
Which of these three do you think is the best to start your journey with, the best overall and the best designed?
I personally believe that Snivy has the best design because Tepig looks like a Rabbit Pig and Oshawott looks like a clone of Piplup. But I think Oshawott is the best considering he/she can learn Ice type moves as well as Water type moves

And which did you choose?
I choose Oshawott because I am so use to picking a Water type starter

Did you choose more than one, either through trading or through another playthrough?
Got the other two by going over Wi-fi

:t354:TG

Hydreizard

Seasoned Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 12, 2016
I chose Snivy but now I think I might regret it. Sure, Snivy is pretty good (mine now is a level 60 Serperior) but I'm just not used to grass types as my starter. I almost always get the fire type. I didnt like Tepig's final form that well so I shoulda got Oshawott.....

Guy

just a guy
Years
The best to start your journey with? Preferably, I'd choose Oshawott. Its stats as a Samurott are far more balanced compared to Serperior and Emboar. As far as design goes, then as a matter of my own opinion, I'd choose Oshawott's line. Snivy only gets as good as it's second stage, and poor Tepig; well, let's just say I wouldn't even consider evolving it if I had one. However, I would say that Tepig's line of evolution does have a better move pool as it can learn a variety of types of moves through TMs. Other than that, I'm always picking Oshawott. I chose Snivy once (on my current file), but after I restart it later on, I'm going back to Oshawott.

I can't say I have all three though, but when I do, it'll be through trading between my sister's game.

SuperSaiyanII

Cool Story Bro!!
Years
Moveset wise, I'd have to choose Tepig but since I'm not too fond of it's design or it's ridiculously overused fire/fighting typing(for starter pokemon anyway), I'd choose Oshawott instead.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Which of these three do you think is the best to start your journey with, the best overall and the best designed?: IMO, it's Oshawott. It has a good offensive movepool. Not only that Oshawott is cute, while Samurott looks cool.
And which did you choose? Did you choose more than one, either through trading or through another playthrough?: I chose Oshawott, but traded the other 2 starters from other games.

Years
I think the best designed is Tepig, and its final evolution is really cool. However i chose Oshawott, simply because i almost always choose the water starter. If i didnt choose Oshawott then i would have gone for Snivy, mainly because i dont think there are no other grass types that appeal to me.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
Best overall and best designed, I'd have to say Oshawott. I don't really care for the other two starters, but their designs are decent. Oshawott isn't that bad at battling as itself either. I managed to go through the Elite Four without evolving the little otter, and it got through most of the Elite's Pokémon very well. That being said, I chose Oshawott for my first playthrough and I've never bothered to restart either.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
I think Snivy is the best. He has an amazing design, I immediately fell in love with him back when I knew him as Tsutaaja, and he's helped me, a lot. In my sig, the quote from "Alec," yeah, Alec's a Snivy ;P (It's a dumb quote though)

I've used all three (I've done two and a half playthroughs) And I think all of the starters faired pretty well, but I still LOVE Snivy, and that will never change <3 :3

Oshawott is my second favorite of the three, he did pretty dang good throughout the entire game, and his personality in the anime is adorable, but, alas, Snivy still wins.

I loved Tepig... then he evolved. I don't mind Pignite/Emboar as much as I used to, but they're still meh.

Azure Wish

Haha. No.
Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2012
Disclaimer: I chose Oshawott for my starter, so my views may be a little* biased.

Design-wise, I think that Snivy is the best. It is just the most visually appealing.
For the starter that is best to start with, I would say either Tepig or Oshawott. Tepig has a more diverse movepool, which will help. Oshawott has the best overall stats.

So, overall, I think Oshawott is the best.

*little meaning a lot

ebiltun

Shiny and Event Collector
Years
I picked Tepig as my starter. It looked strong, especially his evolutions.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
Years
Serperior: It is a very cool pokemon in itself. However, picking Snivy for your starter is basically asking for a hard mode. Even though it's very fast and has good defenses, it has low attack stats and very limited movepool.

Emboar: I don't know much about Emboar's effectiveness because I've never used it before, but I think it's a very good pokemon to use if what OP said is true (and it is probably).

Samurott: It has very good attack stats which could be very helpful. I don't know much because I haven't used Samurott yet, but it can cover the relative lack of good offensive water-types in the Unova region.

SUMMARY: I'd go with Samurott (even though I dislike Oshawott because it's vastly overrated IMO), but Emboar is also a very good choice and perhaps better.

The Nightmare

"I fight for what I belive in"
Years
Which of these three do you think is the best to start your journey with, the best overall and the best designed?
I would say emboar would be the best because it's has the best stats and samourott would be the best designed.
And which did you choose? Did you choose more than one, either through trading or through another playthrough?
I choose oshawatt as my starter but I got all the starters by trade.

Genesect

Team Plasma Failure
Years

I would take Oshawatt to be the best, best overall is to Snivy and best designed to Oshawott. Tepig looks like a roasted bacon >_>".

And which did you choose? Did you choose more than one, either through trading or through another playthrough?

Me? I chose Oshawott, got Snivy through trading :)

Back