• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hack Series: Pokémon Divine Sword & Blessed Shield (Version 1.1 Update - Return of EXP. Candies!)

Years
  • Age 59
  • Seen Oct 29, 2022
Hello. Playing Pokemon Sword with your mod for the first time, so far so good!

I have a question though. I'm not totally fond of having the biggest possible challenge when playing (Pokemon games at least). Is there any way to see what Pokemon the opposing trainer are switching into battle? I'm not sure if the un-modded version shows it, but in older games it's shown as "is switching in pikachu, do you want to change?"

Another question - What does "hidden" mean in the wild encounters document?

Thanks for a great mod so far!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 67
  • Seen Jan 25, 2024
If you remove btl_std.dat that will revert it back to the un-modded version.

Years
  • Age 59
  • Seen Oct 29, 2022
Just noticed what I think is a bug. After beating 5 gyms, some mints have disappeared from the marts. Checked a few and cannot buy +atk -spAtk for instance.

fallkitten

I Believe in Sherlock Holmes!
Years
  • Age 29
  • N/A
  • Seen Apr 8, 2024
Can we gigantomax Galar/Kanto/other mons starters to their extra special form, or how is it called?=)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 14, 2022
Thanks for the rom hack, unlike the original game, which was boring, I'm really having fun with that one. But I'll finish it soon :(. Is this version of the rom hack compatble with the crown tundra dlc update? I mean can I upgrade the already modded sword with the crown tundra dlc. Also, are you planing to release a rom hack for the crown tundra, or are you working on pokemon arceus?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 13, 2022
Just wondering but is there a wild encounter guide for the Wild Area? Im finding Pokemon that aren't shown on Serebii, but I didn't see anything about Wild Area encounters on the documents

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen today
Just wondering but is there a wild encounter guide for the Wild Area? Im finding Pokemon that aren't shown on Serebii, but I didn't see anything about Wild Area encounters on the documents

It is part of the documentation
Inside the wild encounter document, if you scroll down you'll see the Wild Area encounters (starting around line 400 in the xls)

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jan 14, 2023
I played the game a few times already, trying different monotype teams and it's quite annoying to that some of the pokemon that are locked behind the heavy fog weather are available at super late stages of the game (Mimikyu, Morelull, Carvanha, etc.) I wish there's a bit of an change in the encounter tables so some of the heavy fog pokemon would be available earlier.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jun 17, 2022
After downloading the documents i am able to open all but one .. the important trainers document give an error when trying to open it in Office Suite Sheets (Open of file Important Trainers.xlsx failed. Exception of type 'System.Exception' was thrown) Is this broken or do i need to add something to make it work?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 29, 2022
Hi! These look FABULOUS! Just wondering if there is any update on when the DLC and Champion cup rematches will be edited?

Thanks so much for a great Mod!

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen yesterday
What resources did you use to edit the Pokémon stats for this game? I'd be curious if it's easy enough for me to do myself.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jan 16, 2024
I've been looking into SwSh hacking and found a video that said that editing too many trainers would make the game crash in Yuzu. Is this true? If so, how did you guys bypass it?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
Can you transfer pokemon to a legit version of shield/sword or pokemon home? I have a modded switch and a legit switch.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen yesterday
Finally finished my HC nuzloke of this game! Super fun totally recommend. Thanks for the great game

Dani Dandelion

Perma-Skitty user
Years
I think Cherrim is broken. I caught 2 Cherubis, evolved one at night, and one during the day to get their separate forms. But when I checked on them in the box today, both were Overcast form, with the altered ability and stats to match. Cherrim won't stay in its Sunshine form, and of course I can't change it back with sun in this hack. Kind of a shame, I wanted to try out both.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Sep 14, 2022
I have some thoughts regarding this mod, but before I get into them: If your response to the points I make is simply 'git gud' then just ignore me and pretend I didn't post. This mod is great but I think it can be better. If you don't want to engage that's ok. I just want to help.

TL;DR: Mod is awesome and fun, but the balancing is off and doesn't provide a sense of skill progression because literally every single trainer battle is against Smogon World Champion level trainers with literally perfect pokemon. Gym Leaders, Champion Cup matches, and Battle Tower trainers don't feel fun, special, or noteworthy because the only thing separating Gym trainers from regular trainers is Pokemon level. Wild Pokemon are too low-level compared to surrounding trainers making grinding an unnecessarily tedious chore. The level curve of the gym section of the game is absurd given how few trainers there are between gyms.

I do overall enjoy the mod and most of the time I'm having fun. I tend to prioritize difficulty mods when replaying titles. However, I think there is a difference between a difficulty mod and straight-up unfair masochism. This is the hardest difficulty mod I have ever played across all gens aside from Radical Red Hardcore/Nuzlocke My Nuzlocke RR playthrough was only after a few clears with other difficulty mods and multiple playthroughs of the base game. The difference between that and SwSh is that there are quite a few mods for top-down Pokemon games that allow players to find a difficulty that suits them or mods that offer various difficulty options. SwSh does not have that. Either you play the poorly balanced base version, or this ball-busting mod. If there is a mod that offers an experience in between, I haven't found it. I think the balancing is off for a number of reasons that mostly have to do with the balancing philosophy.

First is the fact that due to the way SwSh is built, the same balancing bedrock that works in every Pokemon game up to gen 5 (arguably SwSh because it's the first game that is a fully 3d environment). Routes in the early to mid game are much shorter than they would be in a less graphically intensive gen. The Wild Areas have no trainer battles at all. What this leads to is hours and hours and hours grinding wild pokemon just to make it past the two of the first three gyms that your chosen starter isn't strong against. I beat the 2nd gym and had to spend literally an entire day just grinding because going from a level 30 gym to a level 40 gym is already hard enough to grind for, but even more so when they are close together with very few opportunities to effectively grind because there are only a handful of trainers between the two gyms and all the wild pokemon that you would be grinding around are all 5-10 levels below you, not counting your decrease in global exp gain. Compounding this is the presence of exp share, which further dilutes your ability to adjust your teams for various battles (which I will get to in a minute).

Chancey and Audino battles offering such a steep exp bump to compensate is nice, but you have them set with an abysmal spawn rate. Having your grinding depend heavily on rng or absurd time investment is bad design imo, difficulty mod or not. Also having the wild pokemon in any given section of the game be so much lower level than what your team needs to be just to beat random trainers makes grinding laborious, unrewarding, and unengaging. Am I saying that wild pokemon should be as difficult as trainer pokemon? Of course not, but if gym 3 requires a full high IV, EV trained, element strong team (that will need to change from route to route and gym to gym requiring constantly adjustment, grinding, training) at level 41 minimum, wild pokemon at level 25-30 with a 2% chance for a Chansey-OR-Audino spawn (which will also be way under-leveled) you aren't making the game harder, you're just making it longer. There is a subtle but distinct difference between the two. People with the time will just grind and over-level anyway, but the people who don't will be boxed out of enjoying the experience you've crafted.

On to the regular trainer battles. Older gens had many more trainers between gyms than in SwSh simply because they could afford to make areas larger and routes longer due to less memory needing to be allocated to graphics. Trainer battles have always been the main chunk of leveling between gyms, set pieces, etc. I know this is more difficult to balance since there are far fewer trainer battles in SwSh than in any other gen. That being said, either the trainer battles need to be weighted heavier or wild pokemon need to be of appropriate level to whichever gym is next in sequence. I have no problem with regular trainers being more difficult, I actually think route trainers have always been too easy in base games...however, I personally think it hurts the experience (difficulty mod or not) if every single trainer battle is the same difficulty as the Champion Cup finals.

I know this is counter-intuitive but let me explain. The point of differentiating between gym trainers, route trainers, and battle tower trainers is to offer different intensities so that the player feels like they are getting better and becoming more mechanically proficient. Take Dark Souls 1. The first time you fought the Asylum Demon was hard, painfully so for most. Then you finally beat it, fight some mobs to grind on your way to the next boss, repeat, and so on and so on. But when you get all the way to the end, conquer Gwyn, and start a new game, when you get back to the asylum demon it should be easy because the skill you've gained and mastery you've shown during your journey has made you better. The way you have this balanced, every trainer battle, gym battle, champion cup match, battle tower run, etc is Gwyn. Dark Souls 1 is a hard game. No one disputes that. Most people get to the asylum demon and quit, but even games like Dark Souls understand that progression is about more than actively trying to kill the player by any means necessary (even unfair ones sometimes) while they aren't doing anything significant aside from making a number go up.

Imagine if every single enemy in Dark Souls from the Asylum Demon, to the skeletons, to the giants, to the dragons were Gwyn, but every attack can one-shot based on rng, and rng is weighted higher for Gwyn than you so that he's always lucky and you're always unlucky. The Champion's Cup matches should be the hardest fights in the game. Battle Tower should be a little easier than that, Gym Leaders a little easier than that, and regular trainers a little easier than that. People remember and relish the challenge of bosses in Dark Souls because they are a different, more intense kind of challenge than other enemies. Gym Leaders, the bosses of pokemon, should feel uniquely special and difficult, but they don't when the backpacker that I fought on the way there gives me a much worse thrashing because with a Drapion 5 levels below me that knows Night Slash.

Again. I enjoy a challenge and understand that there are some that enjoy harder challenges than I do. I respect that and believe they should absolutely be able to challenge themselves in any way they want, but I don't think this kind of challenge is fun for a lot of people and I think you would get a lot more people playing Divine Sword and Blessed Shield if the barrier for entry wasn't so high. This is an awesome mod and I hope you are continuing to work on it because this is the kind of experience I've been waiting for since 2020. Keep up the awesome work!!!

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen May 18, 2023
Hey I was wondering if there were any good sword and shield gba rom hacks because I'm playing on a gba emu and don't want to redownload any other emu

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 7, 2022
Some feedback.

I do appreciate the difficulty of this hack which is what I loved.

I'd personally like to see a more vanilla option of this hack, meaning no type changes, no ability changes, or anything that pokemon should not normally have. No Vespiquen with Queenly Majesty, as it does not normally have this ability. I really like the hack, but I prefer something where it doesn't deviate from the original mechanics.

Back