Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Ad Content

#1   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old 1 Week Ago (8:32 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Crazy Primeape Lady.

Mystery Dungeon had a game on the Game Boy and one on the GBC (Shiren GB and GB2) with (from what I can tell, I don't speak Japanese) almost identical gameplay to Red and Blue Rescue Team, so it's entirely possible to do. Would anybody here play it?
      #2   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old 1 Week Ago (10:37 AM). Edited 1 Week Ago by juliorain.

Nature: Quirky
    This is forum is for games that are not ROMs, but it is possible.

Shiuren is another franchise than pokemon, but Essentials can support a mystery dungeon game via creative manipulation of it. It will be a challenge to basically rewrite the battle code from the ground up. However you can define the strters as costumes of the MC. Essentials has a nice ranom dungeon feature, but yeah, you're going to have to do a lot of rewriting and gutting to turn your game into a PMD game whether it be a ROM or fangame.
      #3   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old 1 Week Ago (3:52 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Crazy Primeape Lady.

Quote:
      Originally Posted by juliorain View Post
      This is forum is for games that are not ROMs, but it is possible.

Shiuren is another franchise than pokemon, but Essentials can support a mystery dungeon game via creative manipulation of it. It will be a challenge to basically rewrite the battle code from the ground up. However you can define the strters as costumes of the MC. Essentials has a nice ranom dungeon feature, but yeah, you're going to have to do a lot of rewriting and gutting to turn your game into a PMD game whether it be a ROM or fangame.
      I figured since it wasn't a ROM hack it would count as its own thing, irrespective of the platform. I'll look into it, in any case. Sounds helpful.
        #4   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old 1 Week Ago (11:31 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by mgriffin.

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Crazy Primeape Lady View Post
      I figured since it wasn't a ROM hack it would count as its own thing, irrespective of the platform.
      You know, that's a really interesting question! I suppose you could justify putting it in either section.

EDIT: I would recommend that you don't try and develop a GB game from scratch unless you've got experience writing code for similar systems. Targeting the GBA is probably not too bad, but the GBC's limits add a whole other dimension of difficulty.
        #5   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old 1 Week Ago (4:26 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Crazy Primeape Lady.

Quote:
        Originally Posted by mgriffin View Post
        You know, that's a really interesting question! I suppose you could justify putting it in either section.

EDIT: I would recommend that you don't try and develop a GB game from scratch unless you've got experience writing code for similar systems. Targeting the GBA is probably not too bad, but the GBC's limits add a whole other dimension of difficulty.
        I'm comfortable around C and assembly isn't too bad. And I'm already involved in a different project for old hardware. There's a C compiler for the Game Boy already, so that's one part of the equation solved. It's probably far easier than hacking Shiren, since while Shiren is a base it's also a base that's already assembled.

Quick Reply