Art Studio For visual art, photography, and music! Pokémon related or not, showcase or discuss anything related to the creative arts.

Ad Content

#101   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old March 3rd, 2014 (7:37 PM). Edited March 4th, 2014 by Entermaid.

Nature: Adamant
    The only issue was that the sprites were rejected with no reasoning the first round through. I read the first post but it never mentioned high-contrast and more HGSS style spriting, so I assumed it was D/P (for me my mind just went straight to gen 4). Chaos cleared that up for me. Knowing that, I thought I should reconstruct the edits and explanation, that's the only reason why I explained some of the other issues beyond the original coloring, which I really love for an anime style. :)

The only other thing was that the other edits, beyond the color, were rejected without a reason, though they more closely resembled the Sugimori artwork and aestetic (for instance discernible facial features which are the core of any sprite).

The basic "rules of spriting" were just some tips from observations over the years, such as pupil positioning. I never meant to come off as if I knew more than you. You could actually help me in some choices of color especially! I also made sure to give you some praise along with some areas for improvement. This really is a great resource so far!

Though, I understand I made may have hurt your feelings, that was not the intention. I just thought I'd give a shot at helping polish some of the sprites. I apologize and genuinely hope you continue to do well with the resource. There are several sprites that you have done that really are dang near perfection, if not, perfect for the style. I apologize for any hurt feelings and will respect your wishes not to make any further critiques or edits to your sprites.
      #102   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old March 9th, 2014 (7:41 PM). Edited March 20th, 2014 by MrDollSteak.
    Formerly known as 11bayerf1

Well sorry for all the drama regarding previous posts.
      That's all behind us now!

Here is Pancham!

Not sure what'll be up next, probably a fix of Braixen's Front and Gogoat's Back Sprite.
      Perhaps Amaura's front too.
        #103   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old March 15th, 2014 (5:51 AM).

Nature: Brave
        i worked on bunnelby (needs some shading) i hope you like it.
        yeah it's ears are kinda small.
          #104   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old March 15th, 2014 (11:07 AM). Edited March 15th, 2014 by Fairy.

Here's my attempt at Honedge.
          i,imgur,com/qrl0e3e,png

Replace commas with periods. I don't have 15 posts so I can't post links apparently, but I don't think I'll be posting enough anywhere on the forum to get that anytime soon. (Case in point, I registered this account a year ago and this is my first post.)

EDIT: I made it for a FR hack I'm working on that will probably not ever be finished so I thought someone else may like the sprite.

mod edit
            #105   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old March 17th, 2014 (8:16 AM).

.....he said while crediting the Smogon XY Sprite Project and more specifically Quanyails, who made the original sized front, since the colours are the exact same.

Perhaps these call-outs need to be kept public so people realize the proper format for crediting. Will also help me get to 15 posts so I too can post some darn images. I cannot tell if you used the Quany original or the Smogon XY edit cause of the size difference. But for sake of argument I'll assume the Smogon one as it is a bit more widely distributed.

Anyways onto fixes, here is a small push in the right direction

i,imgur,com/d9GlpMb,png

watch sword point, design, shading is a bit suspect in how you reduced it. Watch hilt design especially. This should actually be really easy to reduce in size.
              #106   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old March 17th, 2014 (12:44 PM). Edited March 17th, 2014 by insanelyapple.

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Layell View Post
              .....he said while crediting the Smogon XY Sprite Project and more specifically Quanyails, who made the original sized front, since the colours are the exact same.

Perhaps these call-outs need to be kept public so people realize the proper format for crediting. Will also help me get to 15 posts so I too can post some darn images. I cannot tell if you used the Quany original or the Smogon XY edit cause of the size difference. But for sake of argument I'll assume the Smogon one as it is a bit more widely distributed.

Anyways onto fixes, here is a small push in the right direction

i,imgur,com/d9GlpMb,png

watch sword point, design, shading is a bit suspect in how you reduced it. Watch hilt design especially. This should actually be really easy to reduce in size.
              If your talking to me, I'll tell you how I made the sprite. I made it from scratch based off of this screenshot.

assets,vg247,com/current//2013/07/honedge_screenshot_1.jpg

If you go to Google images, this screenshot is on the first page, if you type Honedge, so it wouldn't surprise me if more than one person used it as a base.

I took the colors from the Pokemon Showdown online game. That may be why the colors are the same. However, other than the colors, I did make the sprite myself.

Edit: The reason I took the colors is I could not grab a combination of colors that looked pleasing to the eye from the screenshot.
                #107   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old March 17th, 2014 (2:25 PM).

I honestly cannot believe that. In comparing the Showdown sprite (the ones I help provide through Smogon) and yours.

Front:
                -Dark yellow lining is the same, including the two pixel spacing on the right of the hilt
                -For the most part shading is exactly the same
                -Black outlining entirely the same except at sword tip
                -similar method of shading at sword

Back:
                -Hilt and base of sword are 95% pixel for pixel the same, it's not even funny how similar they are.

I've seen a ton of spriters do the same pose of a pokemon (I can say with some truth to it I've seen about every decent spriters attempt at XY pokemon on the internet), very rarely do we find such similarities from truly independent artists.

I understand the need more than anyone that new spriters need some stylistic base to lean on. Just make sure to credit that base, a little does go a long way.
                  #108   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                Old March 17th, 2014 (3:14 PM).

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Layell View Post
                  I honestly cannot believe that. In comparing the Showdown sprite (the ones I help provide through Smogon) and yours.

Front:
                  -Dark yellow lining is the same, including the two pixel spacing on the right of the hilt
                  -For the most part shading is exactly the same
                  -Black outlining entirely the same except at sword tip
                  -similar method of shading at sword

Back:
                  -Hilt and base of sword are 95% pixel for pixel the same, it's not even funny how similar they are.

I've seen a ton of spriters do the same pose of a pokemon (I can say with some truth to it I've seen about every decent spriters attempt at XY pokemon on the internet), very rarely do we find such similarities from truly independent artists.

I understand the need more than anyone that new spriters need some stylistic base to lean on. Just make sure to credit that base, a little does go a long way.
                  I understand your concerns and I feel like if you don't believe me then there is no way I can change your mind. If you'd like to continue this discussion through PM, I'd be happy to do so. I do not believe this discussion should be continued on this thread since this is a thread for sprites, not a discussion board for if someone stole another person's artwork. PM if you want to chat and I'll see if I can find some rough drafts on my hard drive to change your mind.
                    #109   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                  Old March 18th, 2014 (9:21 AM).

i,imgur,com/As8xp7u.png

I hope you like it!
                      #110   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                    Old March 19th, 2014 (8:05 AM).

as a note any zard x should have different coloured blue horn tips and shoulder spikes because the shiny makes them red. Consider sharing the lightest blue wing colour with those spikes, and the lightest body grey could be shared with nail grey to optimize colours. The belly is also supposed to be a bit lighter for the shiny which would effect flame colour but this is probably less significant.

Watch outline on tail tip, neck is craned really weirdly, rear shoulder spike wants to be more upright.
                        #111   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                      Old March 19th, 2014 (11:07 PM). Edited March 20th, 2014 by MrDollSteak.

Quote:
                        i worked on bunnelby (needs some shading) i hope you like it.
                        yeah it's ears are kinda small.
                        It's good to see you practicing, but I won't be accepting this one either.
                        The colours are better, but it doesn't have much shading, or a neck.

Quote:
                        Here's my attempt at Honedge.
                        i,imgur,com/qrl0e3e,png

Replace commas with periods. I don't have 15 posts so I can't post links apparently, but I don't think I'll be posting enough anywhere on the forum to get that anytime soon. (Case in point, I registered this account a year ago and this is my first post.)

EDIT: I made it for a FR hack I'm working on that will probably not ever be finished so I thought someone else may like the sprite.

mod edit
                        Sorry won't be accepting this.
                        Also I agree with Layell. It honestly looks like you've resized the smogon sprite to maybe 90% and started to touch it up briefly.

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Megabsol View Post
                        i,imgur,com/As8xp7u.png

I hope you like it!
                        Thanks, but I won't be accepting this.

Anyway for everybody else I've done Fletchling!

#112   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                        Old March 21st, 2014 (11:57 AM). Edited March 21st, 2014 by Uxie101.

Here,i remaked bunnelby(Now with shading and head placed :D)
                            #113   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                          Old March 21st, 2014 (8:25 PM). Edited March 23rd, 2014 by MrDollSteak.

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Uxie101 View Post
                            Here,i remaked bunnelby(Now with shading and head placed :D)
                            It's better, but I still won't be using it.
                            The ears, face, collar, arms and legs are pretty
                            off. I'd make them alot smoother. I'd also consult
                            a model or existing sprite to get an idea about how
                            to improve it.

With that out of the way, I've done Aromatisse!

I'm on a roll! That's two new sprites in the space
                            of a few days.
                              #114   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                            Old March 21st, 2014 (10:27 PM).

Two new sprites within a few days... Excellent job! Keep this up, and it'll be done in no time... No rush though... You're doing great!!!
                              ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤..

If you're looking for a good time, or just want to chat, come over to Weloxux and I's channel at:
                              http://mibbit.com/?server=irc.mibbit.net&channel=%23Dragons_Den

#115   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                              Old March 22nd, 2014 (5:10 AM).

I re-remake bunnelby since my old one looks ugly.
                                  #116   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                Old March 22nd, 2014 (8:29 AM).

Can I give some small suggestions?

Things like Aroma's shiny are obnoxious so I made a few small adjustments to the fluff outlines so it looks better on the shiny and the regular looks perfect. Purple/pink to purple/blue, makes perfect sense thanks GF! For the left eye I also cut some of the nose outline to make it clearer.

I would also dare to say that the eye needs another shade, I can't think of similar sized eyes that only have one. Perhaps cut the fluff highlight or head highlight to add a darker eye.
                                  Attached Images
                                  File Type: png aromaDS.png‎ (4.0 KB, 42 views) (Save to Dropbox)
                                    #117   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                  Old March 22nd, 2014 (8:46 AM).
                                  "midna's a cat" -vinny, vinesauce

Nature: Naive
                                    Let me get this straight, are these sprites free for anyone to use in a hack or can only MrDollSteak use them?
                                      #118   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                    Old March 22nd, 2014 (9:43 AM).

Nature: Serious
                                      There are resource packs you can download consisting of every sprite sheet from the DS games. Then you can run a Action Script to upscale to nearest neighbor. You'd be done in about 5 minutes. Had to do this for Pokemon 3D.

Anyways, I like the upscales, though I'd suggest using Alpha PNGs or actually selecting the Green to be transparent through GIF settings. That's the point of the colored BG is to use a color not ever going to be used in a palette and then making it transparent for the game engines to read. So as it stands right now the sprites all have BGs to be removed to utilize.
                                        #119   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                      Old March 22nd, 2014 (11:35 AM).

Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by PunkPhantom View Post
                                        Let me get this straight, are these sprites free for anyone to use in a hack or can only MrDollSteak use them?
                                        hi,Mrdollsteak said
                                        Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by MrDollSteak View Post

Also, before anyone asks, you ARE allowed to use these for your hack, this is the entire
                                        point of the resource!
                                        you can use it.
                                          #120   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                        Old March 22nd, 2014 (10:54 PM).

Nature: Jolly
                                          Hey nice sprites, just wondering are you planning on doing sprites for diancie hoopa volcanion mega latias/latios or az floette :)
                                            #121   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                          Old March 23rd, 2014 (6:38 PM).

Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by Uxie101 View Post
                                            I re-remake bunnelby since my old one looks ugly.
                                            This one is alot better, I may accept it as a base.
                                            Though it'll need quite a few touch ups.

Quote:
                                            Can I give some small suggestions?

Things like Aroma's shiny are obnoxious so I made a few small adjustments to the fluff outlines so it looks better on the shiny and the regular looks perfect. Purple/pink to purple/blue, makes perfect sense thanks GF! For the left eye I also cut some of the nose outline to make it clearer.

I would also dare to say that the eye needs another shade, I can't think of similar sized eyes that only have one. Perhaps cut the fluff highlight or head highlight to add a darker eye.
                                            Cheers Layell! I liked the changes you made.
                                            As for suggestions, I don't actually have space for any new colours, so I just made the right eye (relative to the Pokemon) pure black. If you meant for the iris, then there's nothing I can do. The only possibility would perhaps be removing the second shade of white.
                                            I also added more black to the skirt feather thing to make it stand out a bit more.

Here is the new Aromatisse!

Quote:
                                            There are resource packs you can download consisting of every sprite sheet from the DS games. Then you can run a Action Script to upscale to nearest neighbor. You'd be done in about 5 minutes. Had to do this for Pokemon 3D.

Anyways, I like the upscales, though I'd suggest using Alpha PNGs or actually selecting the Green to be transparent through GIF settings. That's the point of the colored BG is to use a color not ever going to be used in a palette and then making it transparent for the game engines to read. So as it stands right now the sprites all have BGs to be removed to utilize.
                                            I literally have no idea what you're talking about.
                                            These sprites are aimed at the GBA games, which require a specific colour assigned to be a background, as they do not do transparency in any other way.

Quote:
                                            Hey nice sprites, just wondering are you planning on doing sprites for diancie hoopa volcanion mega latias/latios or az floette
                                            Yes I do. But only once they are officially released.
                                            I've added Diancie to the list.

Also for anyone else, I've redone the Amaura front slightly!
                                            Still uses Gexeys' base, but I changed the sails, legs and eyes slightly,
                                            to match the sugimori artwork better.

#122   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                            Old March 24th, 2014 (9:55 PM).

Nature: Serious
                                              Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by MrDollSteak View Post
                                              This one is alot better, I may accept it as a base.
                                              Though it'll need quite a few touch ups.

Cheers Layell! I liked the changes you made.
                                              As for suggestions, I don't actually have space for any new colours, so I just made the right eye (relative to the Pokemon) pure black. If you meant for the iris, then there's nothing I can do. The only possibility would perhaps be removing the second shade of white.
                                              I also added more black to the skirt feather thing to make it stand out a bit more.

Here is the new Aromatisse!

I literally have no idea what you're talking about.
                                              These sprites are aimed at the GBA games, which require a specific colour assigned to be a background, as they do not do transparency in any other way.

Yes I do. But only once they are officially released.
                                              I've added Diancie to the list.

Also for anyone else, I've redone the Amaura front slightly!
                                              Still uses Gexeys' base, but I changed the sails, legs and eyes slightly,
                                              to match the sugimori artwork better.

That's what I meant about the color. Was wondering if you were using a color the engine was reading or a random color. I've seen people throwing off-colors before.

But yeah, Photoshop has a scripting engine you can use to batch resize all images in a folder according to the proportion and size restraints you set. As well as picking the "Nearest Neighbor" setting to properly upscale/downscale the sprites. You can then also make it duplicate the layer, and fill the background with the desired color for the GBA engines to read.

It comes in handy, trust me. When you got thousands of images to process it is definitely worth the time writing a small 15 line script and running it for 3 minutes.

PS I love Amaura! Adorable!
                                                #123   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                              Old March 25th, 2014 (8:57 PM).
                                              MrDollSteak MrDollSteak is offline

Quote:
                                                Originally Posted by WAS View Post

That's what I meant about the color. Was wondering if you were using a color the engine was reading or a random color. I've seen people throwing off-colors before.

But yeah, Photoshop has a scripting engine you can use to batch resize all images in a folder according to the proportion and size restraints you set. As well as picking the "Nearest Neighbor" setting to properly upscale/downscale the sprites. You can then also make it duplicate the layer, and fill the background with the desired color for the GBA engines to read.

It comes in handy, trust me. When you got thousands of images to process it is definitely worth the time writing a small 15 line script and running it for 3 minutes.

PS I love Amaura! Adorable!
                                                Thanks for the tip, but I doubt I'll be employing it, mainly because
                                                this isn't really a resizing project. I'm drawing all these sprites by hand,
                                                bar a few.
                                                Glad you like the Amaura sprite!

Anyway, I've done Pumpkaboo! Credits to Wobblebuns from the XY Sprite Project
                                                for the front sprites for all four sizes of Pumpkaboo!

#124   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                                Old March 27th, 2014 (5:50 AM). Edited March 28th, 2014 by freddy f1shf1nger.
                                                freddy f1shf1nger freddy f1shf1nger is offline

I didn't realise just how complicated spriting a pokemon can be until I started working on Helioptile. I worked on the front sprites first and then did the back sprites this morning (it was morning for me anyway) XD. If these aren't good enough I'll see if I can fix them (I'll need to know where to improve them though). Hopefully we can get all these sprites done soon so that we can use them :)

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/f92f/21exympdsc0u9jofg.jpg -> The link to the sprite if it makes it easier to use.
                                                  Also if in the mean time anybody wants to use this sprite you may, but some credit would be required.

Decided to see if I could do anything else and impressed myself with this heliolisk sprite, so I'm adding this as well. Same rules apply, let me know if you see a way that this should be edited (constructive criticism and all that). Also, in case anyone was wondering I went for the 'frill up' look for Heliolisk's back sprite.

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/b3c0/77472blk7g39fwlfg.jpg -> The link to the sprite

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=307291 = Pokemon Hollow Mysteries
                                                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHJ9ykRYbWQbvFeviqqz6Gw = Youtube Channel
                                                    #125   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                                  Old March 28th, 2014 (9:56 PM).
                                                  GOLDstandard GOLDstandard is offline
                                                  Eclectic

Nature: Bold
                                                    Hey mr. dollsteak, so far the sprite quality is still amazing
                                                    If I may offer a request, I think it would be cool and unique to portray heliolisk's front and back sprites with its
                                                    frills up like the guy who posted above me because its unique and looks better IMO
                                                    Keep it up though, looking good!

Quick Reply