Entertainment & Media The PokeCommunity's red carpet: discuss topics, hot or otherwise, centered around music, films, TV, books, and sports!

Ad Content

#76   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old September 8th, 2018 (7:11 PM).
Lover of Dragons

Nature: Gentle
The Wizard of Oz from 1939.

I have seen it many, many times, but a hundred times is not enough. That is why it is called a classic. I have heard Judy Garland sing retakes of Somewhere Over the Rainbow on set, viewed promotion stills, artwork and storyboards, checked out behind-the-scenes documentaries, watched deleted scenes and scrapped concepts like the Scarecrow's extended dance scene, the Over the Rainbow reprise and the Jitterbug. I have playlists and albums of Judy Garland singing, have watched the cast appear on What's My Line and even have the entire collection of Groove's Wizard of Oz dolls, not to mention several illustrated copies of Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

One of the reasons this movie is so special for me is because my grandfather used to watch this with my mom when she was a little girl. I never knew my grandfather, he died when I was just a baby and I wish that he and I had more time together. But I know that he was a sweet, funny man from all of the stories that everybody that loved him told me about him.

My grandpa was a scrawny fellow not unlike the scarecrow. He was an American veteran with a green thumb that could take a dry stick and make a rose garden out of it. He had flat feet and a large forehead, and affectionately earned the nickname "Head" around the family. Despite his shrimpy size he was a big fan of macho westerns, especially John Wayne. My grandpa was described as a Buster Keaton lookalike. He loved to play (and cheat at) card games, loved baseball and the Dodgers, ate raw onion sandwiches and took in every stray dog he could find. He also had a gift for drawing on a professional level and would entertain my mom and her sisters growing up by sketching out comic strips and flip books for them to play with. I am always reminded of Head when I watch this beautiful, beautiful movie The Wizard of Oz and the Saturday mornings he would spend watching this with my mom.

The Cowardly Lion was his favorite character. According to my mom after the wizard shouted for Dorothy and her friends to leave and sent the lion fleeing in terror, my grandpa would rock with laughter for ten minutes straight. No matter how many times he saw the movie he had so much fun that you would think that he had never seen it before.

I am so nostalgic about this movie and I will often think of my grandfather whenever I see it. It is like he is watching it with us now. He is an example of the wisdom that Oz gives to the tinman, "A heart is judged by how much you are loved by others."

Name: Narcissus
Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

#77   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old September 9th, 2018 (12:37 PM).

Black Panther

Missed out on it when it was in the theaters - finally on Netflix now so I watched it last night. It was pretty good. Soundtrack is awesome and good acting by everyone involved. Kind of felt like it ended abruptly though.

Moderator of Entertainment & Media
*I am currently moving and will not be as active until mid/end March.*
  #78   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old September 19th, 2018 (12:03 PM). Edited September 19th, 2018 by Dawn.
of the Final Day

Nature: Quiet
Deadpool 2

I rarely have anything nice to say about superhero movies, but this was pure gold. Easily the best live action superhero movie I've seen since the first one, and substantially better than anything the MCU has put out...like, ever. It's nice to have a superhero film that doesn't just shamelessly plagiarise bits and pieces of comic book storylines and does its own thing. Reynolds is such a character.

Listening back to the Juggernaut's theme song and I'm just laughing all the harder. I KNEW it wasn't just another pretentious generic ominous Latin track...xD
  #79   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old September 21st, 2018 (6:01 AM).

Nature: Calm
I think it was Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials.

It was...okay? Was mostly watching it as a result of being at my uncle's house and someone had one of the movie channels on. Wasn't bad, but also wasn't anything I would rave about at all.
  #80   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old September 22nd, 2018 (12:55 PM).
From Dusk to Dawn

Nature: Jolly
    I watched The Manchurian Candidate (1962) last night via Amazon Prime Streaming.

I haven't watched a black & white film in a while, so it was a bit refreshing (especially watching this in the evening onto nighttime).

Considering the time it was released, I would say the film is significant of the political climate of the time---and still is, one could argue. It also be worthy of note that this film is in the US National Film Registry. I would have to say I love the irony in the end (not going into to spoilers.

Social Media Handles
    Discord SirSpur#1123
    Twitter SirSpur
    Instagram SirSpur
    Gab.ai SirSpur
    Diaspora SirSpur
      #81   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old September 22nd, 2018 (6:24 PM).

Baby Driver

I caught this on one of the movie channels last night. Was a movie I missed out on seeing in the theater. I loved it. Had a killer soundtrack and the action shots were filmed in a great way. Great acting all around too. Definitely was surprised by how much I liked it, as action car movies aren't usually my thing ha.

Moderator of Entertainment & Media
    *I am currently moving and will not be as active until mid/end March.*
      #82   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old September 25th, 2018 (12:07 PM).

A Simple Favour 8/10
      A comedy thriller that does neither particularly well, though Blake Lively is delicious in it.
        #83   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old September 26th, 2018 (3:48 AM).
      Lover of Dragons

The Walt Disney' 1950 masterpiece Cinderella. I watched it not once, not twice, but three nights in a row and might do it again when I get home :)

So beautiful, and fun and enchanting. I really don't think it has aged a day. I wish Disney still produced hand-drawn animation like this. 5 5 stars, 10 stars! I recommend to anyone.

Some of the most celebrated animators in history are the "Nine old men" from Disney Studios. My favorite of the nine is Ward Kimball who draws Lucifer "Rucifee" the cat! I love Rucifee!! Ward's work is so madcap and delicious! If it is whacky then the odds are that it was made by Ward. Mickey Mouse, the Siamese cats from Lady and the Tramp, the mice from Cinderella, Dumbo's Crows, many Alice and Wonderland characters from Tweedle Dee and Dum down to the Cheshire Cat... all of that is ol Ward's hand! This man was so awesome that he not only made Casey Jr. but installed his own train in his house to rise around in and helped design Disney rides.

#84   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old September 28th, 2018 (4:54 AM). Edited September 28th, 2018 by Dawn.
      of the Final Day

Justice League

This movie is basically Avengers Assemble with DC characters...only with significantly less prequel movie buildup. In a way that makes it better, because Avengers Assemble was an absolutely terrible film precluded by several fairly good ones and a few bad ones. Justice League is an absolutely terrible film precluded by a few equally bad ones and one good one (Wonder Woman) so, whilst it isn't a disappointing anticlimax the way AA was and is about what I expected from DC, that it met my expectations is definitely not a good thing, because I was expecting to be bored out of my skull and I was.

I think Aquaman is well cast, though...well, to a point. I honestly prefer the blonde idiot Aquaman who sings rousing songs of heroism and gets himself into all sorts of silly situations, but since DC movies have to be gritty and miserable (please change this, Shazam) casting Jason Momoa was a pretty good choice.

But seriously. DC have no business making live action superhero movies. They should just stick to the animated ones. Those are almost always great, or at least entertaining, and they don't drag out for what feels like two and a half years rather than two and a half hours.
        #85   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old September 28th, 2018 (5:06 AM).
      IG: elheroeoscuro

Nature: Adamant
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
      Justice League

This movie is basically Avengers Assemble with DC characters...only with significantly less prequel movie buildup. In a way that makes it better, because Avengers Assemble was an absolutely terrible film precluded by several fairly good ones and a few bad ones. Justice League is an absolutely terrible film precluded by a few equally bad ones and one good one (Wonder Woman) so, whilst it isn't a disappointing anticlimax the way AA was and is about what I expected from DC, that it met my expectations is definitely not a good thing, because I was expecting to be bored out of my skull and I was.

I think Aquaman is well cast, though...well, to a point. I honestly prefer the blonde idiot Aquaman who sings rousing songs of heroism and gets himself into all sorts of silly situations, but since DC movies have to be gritty and miserable (please change this, Shazam) casting Jason Momoa was a pretty good choice.

But seriously. DC have no business making live action superhero movies. They should just stick to the animated ones. Those are almost always great, or at least entertaining, and they don't drag out for what feels like two and a half years rather than two and a half hours.
      How do you feel about the new Aquaman movie then? Do you find it odd that DC introduces “new” characters before they themselves have their own solo movie?
        #86   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old September 28th, 2018 (5:20 AM).
      of the Final Day

Quote:
      Originally Posted by El Héroe Oscuro View Post
      How do you feel about the new Aquaman movie then? Do you find it odd that DC introduces “new” characters before they themselves have their own solo movie?
      I'll let you know when I see it, haha. The trailer makes me hope it'll be more like Wonder Woman than Man of Steel in terms of quality, but I don't think it'll be as good as Shazam when that comes out. I don't know enough about Aquaman to know if he really warrants his own movie, but the CGI looks nice, and I recognised Black Manta in there...Black Manta is OK. xD

I suppose it IS quite strange (although Marvel did the same thing with Spiderman...which is probably a good thing, because Homecoming was awful) but Marvel probably forced their hand with the general success of the MCU. It's not a bad idea in its own way either, to pique interest by introducing characters in crossover movies, then release solo movies afterwards. The general lack of character development might prompt people to watch the solo movies to find out more about them. Feedback on said characters from the crossover movie can help them readjust plans and schedules so they know who to focus on, too.

...maybe that's giving them a little too much credit, though.
        #87   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old September 28th, 2018 (5:26 AM).
      IG: elheroeoscuro

Nature: Adamant
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
      I'll let you know when I see it, haha. The trailer makes me hope it'll be more like Wonder Woman than Man of Steel in terms of quality, but I don't think it'll be as good as Shazam when that comes out. I don't know enough about Aquaman to know if he really warrants his own movie, but the CGI looks nice, and I recognised Black Manta in there...Black Manta is OK. xD

I suppose it IS quite strange (although Marvel did the same thing with Spiderman...which is probably a good thing, because Homecoming was awful) but Marvel probably forced their hand with the general success of the MCU. It's not a bad idea in its own way either, to pique interest by introducing characters in crossover movies, then release solo movies afterwards. The general lack of character development might prompt people to watch the solo movies to find out more about them. Feedback on said characters from the crossover movie can help them readjust plans and schedules so they know who to focus on, too.

...maybe that's giving them a little too much credit, though.
      With Marvel, I don’t really think of Spider-Man - as we had Tony McGwuire/Andrew Garfield arcs already - but rather Black Panther; that’s the only one I can potentially think of that made an appearance before he had his own movie, which obviously worked out based on gross box office.

I think my big issue with Justice League was that you can make an argument that there were only 2 characters that had their own origin movies before: Superman and Wonder Woman. Flash & Cyborg has nothing in the pipeline, Aquaman was pulling a Black Panther, and Batman had a new horrible actor (we don’t count Batman v Superman as an origin movie as that was god awful).

Shazam looks like crap, sorry not sorry (:
        #88   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old September 28th, 2018 (5:41 AM). Edited September 28th, 2018 by Dawn.
      of the Final Day

Quote:
      Originally Posted by El Héroe Oscuro View Post
      With Marvel, I don’t really think of Spider-Man - as we had Tony McGwuire/Andrew Garfield arcs already - but rather Black Panther; that’s the only one I can potentially think of that made an appearance before he had his own movie, which obviously worked out based on gross box office.

I think my big issue with Justice League was that you can make an argument that there were only 2 characters that had their own origin movies before: Superman and Wonder Woman. Flash & Cyborg has nothing in the pipeline, Aquaman was pulling a Black Panther, and Batman had a new horrible actor (we don’t count Batman v Superman as an origin movie as that was god awful).

Shazam looks like crap, sorry not sorry (:
      I like to pretend that those never happend...Andrew Garfield's films especially. I guess my point was that Spiderman was new to the MCU at the time, and he kinda came out of nowhere. Black Panther definitely worked out better, although I think that was more due to casting than it was to anything else - "whitewashing" is a pretty common complaint in the industry these days, after all. The plot was certainly no better or any different to previous origin story films. Marvel and their origin stories, my god. They're all practically identical! But considering how well Black Panther did, I am amazed and more than a little dismayed that T'Challa had such a tiny role in Infinity War. Although I have far more complaints than that about Infinity War...

True. In a lot of ways Justice League was a larger scale version of Batman v Superman, actually. Maybe not QUITE as bad, but clearly more of a setup film than a major event. If you look at Justice League as an answer to Avengers Assemble and a marketing tool to find out which characters viewers are most interested in - and probably a setup for a Crisis film or two somewhere in the distant future - it makes a lot more sense. Doesn't make it any better, but even so.

Well, it at least looks like a change of pace and tone. DC has always been more gritty and down-to-earth than Marvel, but it has a funny side too, and I'm hoping they'll be able to capture some of that with Captain Marv--I mean, Shazam. They at least look like they're going to try...whether it'll work or not is another story. But the DCU is the complete opposite of the MCU - it has absolutely no humour. It really needs some. Just like the MCU needs to stop trying to turn every bloody character into a snark outlet.
        #89   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old September 28th, 2018 (11:11 PM).

Nature: Docile
        Well, right this second I'm watching Gladiator with Russell Crowe on Netflix. It's a great movie and I remember having to do a report on it at University a year or two ago.

The last movie I watched though was Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets. Found the Ultimate Edition of it when I was shopping yesterday for like $14.95 and it got reduced to $10 for some reason so I bought it, it had a few hours of behind the scenes footage and stuff, was a really interesting watch.
          #90   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old October 1st, 2018 (4:50 PM).
        Lover of Dragons

Anastasia. Its been years since I have watched this, it is even more entertaining than I remembered. Gorgeous movie! Disney must have been awful jealous of this one.

#91   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old October 4th, 2018 (6:36 AM).
        pokemaster

Julius Caesar!
          It's from 2002 and it's about the Roman Empire, really nice!
            #92   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old October 4th, 2018 (11:27 AM).

Finally watched Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Great film 9/10 for me
              #93   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old October 6th, 2018 (6:45 AM).
            Aiden Pearce

Actually right now, The Lorax. I do have movies I wanna rewatch though like both guardians of the galaxys and iron man series.
              #94   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old October 6th, 2018 (8:28 AM).
            (ㆁᴗㆁ✿)

Nature: Timid
            Coco! Amazing movie. I cried, of course lol =p

pair family mal llsif bandori ffxiv art
            sheep x bobandbill 5ever
              #95   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old October 6th, 2018 (8:34 AM).
            Aiden Pearce

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
            Coco! Amazing movie. I cried, of course lol =p
            i have not watched that.
              #96   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old October 6th, 2018 (12:16 PM).

Saw Venom tonight, was better than I expected.
              #97   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old October 6th, 2018 (3:37 PM).
            Just your average Spaceball

Nature: Relaxed
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by VisionofMilotic View Post
              Anastasia. Its been years since I have watched this, it is even more entertaining than I remembered. Gorgeous movie! Disney must have been awful jealous of this one.

Saw that movie in theaters when it came out years ago. Neat little story about the fall of the Russian Monarchy with a few decent songs thrown in for good measure. I'm not so sure if Disney would be jealous though. They released Hercules that same year(Zero to Hero... bless my soul, Herc is on a roll). Followed that up with Mulan the following year and Tarzan the year after that. So was Disney jealous? Not really...

Want to raise Pokemon? Check out VPP
                #98   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old October 8th, 2018 (4:44 AM).
              Lover of Dragons

Quote:
              Saw that movie in theaters when it came out years ago. Neat little story about the fall of the Russian Monarchy with a few decent songs thrown in for good measure. I'm not so sure if Disney would be jealous though. They released Hercules that same year(Zero to Hero... bless my soul, Herc is on a roll). Followed that up with Mulan the following year and Tarzan the year after that. So was Disney jealous? Not really...
              I took a jab at Disney because many people mistakenly attributed Anastasia to being a Disney film, its been a joke for years XD

Never could get into Tarzan myself, I did like Mulan though. Hercules was funny too.

#99   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old October 8th, 2018 (7:02 PM).
              too gay to function

Nature: Bold
              I saw A Star is Born tonight. Pretty fantastic movie! Gaga was pretty great.
                #100   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old October 9th, 2018 (2:03 PM).
              Aiden Pearce

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
              I saw A Star is Born tonight. Pretty fantastic movie! Gaga was pretty great.
              what was the movie pretty much about?

Quick Reply