• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Can I ask 2 questions?

1) If I'm using JPAN's FR Engine or his Clean Patch, is it safe to use any flag since all other scripts were deleted?

2) When I'm using the FR Engine and make a Script Event in A-Map (The green tile thingy with an S in the middle), it freezes. Why is that? I just applied the patch and nothing else touched except the Script event.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Can I ask 2 questions?

1) If I'm using JPAN's FR Engine or his Clean Patch, is it safe to use any flag since all other scripts were deleted?

2) When I'm using the FR Engine and make a Script Event in A-Map (The green tile thingy with an S in the middle), it freezes. Why is that? I just applied the patch and nothing else touched except the Script event.

1) It is safe to use the flags from deleted events. He did not make any new flags which are safe.

2) Did you remember to fill out the var and value fields? Also, did you test the script with a person event?

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
1) It is safe to use the flags from deleted events. He did not make any new flags which are safe.

2) Did you remember to fill out the var and value fields? Also, did you test the script with a person event?

1) Okay! That's good to hear!

2) I did test it on a person event and it worked. But I don't know what this Var and Value Fields though... :(

karatekid552

Years
1) Okay! That's good to hear!

2) I did test it on a person event and it worked. But I don't know what this Var and Value Fields though... :(

2) Yeah, that is what I thought. On the s-tile properties in A-map, you should see a space to put a Var and then below it, a space to put a Value. The script will only run, if and only if, the var equals the value and the var must be within 4000-40FF (Unless you hacked the var saving routine to make more vars safe...:p).

Gyrath

Pokemon Lurid Creator
Years
Hey everyone! I'm editing the title screen for Fire-red.
Does anyone here know the offset in APE for the flames?

Or how to edit the colours of the fire a different way?

Gy

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
2) Yeah, that is what I thought. On the s-tile properties in A-map, you should see a space to put a Var and then below it, a space to put a Value. The script will only run, if and only if, the var equals the value and the var must be within 4000-40FF (Unless you hacked the var saving routine to make more vars safe...:p).

Can you show me some kind of screenshot 'cause I'm kinda clueless here.

Hey everyone! I'm editing the title screen for Fire-red.
Does anyone here know the offset in APE for the flames?

Or how to edit the colours of the fire a different way?

Gy

I'm guessing 3BF7CC. Tell me if it's wrong.

Last edited:

TweenyTodd

Quitting cuz i got a job
Years
Is there a way to move the pokemon names tables in FireRed? A lot of the names I'm trying to put in just won't fit. I know where its at, but I can't find a pointer to it:
0x245eC7 is Bulbasaur's name.

karatekid552

Years
Is there a way to move the pokemon names tables in FireRed? A lot of the names I'm trying to put in just won't fit. I know where its at, but I can't find a pointer to it:
0x245eC7 is Bulbasaur's name.

Even if you do move it, you will have problems. The game is only going to load the original character limit unless you change the loading routine. Well, I'm not 100% sure, but that is the most logical thing that will happen.

LaDestitute

Razor Sharp
Years
Are there any guides or R&D threads on porting R/S's berry tree system and real-time clock to Firered?

@robin22gongon:
For script events to work, you have to set the Unknown field to 300 (or 03 if 1.9.5 or later) and the Variable number field to 4000.
You just have to, as it apparently makes them work and I haven't really gotten any concrete answers as to why you have to do this.

karatekid552

Years
Are there any guides or R&D threads on porting R/S's berry tree system and real-time clock to Firered?

@robin22gongon:
For script events to work, you have to set the Unknown field to 300 (or 03 if 1.9.5 or later) and the Variable number field to 4000.
You just have to, as it apparently makes them work and I haven't really gotten any concrete answers as to why you have to do this.

This is not 100% accurate. First of all, the 03 is not necessary. It is only used because Game Freak does it, but no one has found a purpose and it doesn't make a difference when not used (I never use it, becuase I don't remember:p).

Var 0x4000 is a temp var like 0x800D. This means that it could have another value in it and if it does, the script won't run. So, this could be a problem. He needs to use a stationary var that he knows the value of.

I don't think so, but we have DNS for the real-time clock and the berry system may be need ASM. Why not use the search button in R&D and tutorials????

Well how could I do that? I got a lot of extra time on my hands and it seems like a useful thing to do.

Steps:

1) Learn ASM of you haven't already.

2) Use breakpoints and searching knizz IDB file (of you have access to IDA pro) to find the routine that loads names.

3) Hack it to load more charactors.

Edit: Also, you may want to increase nickname length? That would be much harder since you would have to relocate ram. Definitely much, much more difficult.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
This is not 100% accurate. First of all, the 03 is not necessary. It is only used because Game Freak does it, but no one has found a purpose and it doesn't make a difference when not used (I never use it, becuase I don't remember:p).

Var 0x4000 is a temp var like 0x800D. This means that it could have another value in it and if it does, the script won't run. So, this could be a problem. He needs to use a stationary var that he knows the value of.
Okay, now this is more confusing. So what do I really put in?
In Var Number, what do I put in? Can I put 4000 or 4001 there?

In Var Value, what do I put in? Can I put 0001 or something like that? I noticed on a clean FR Rom most Script Events use that.

And a new question, is there a way to make boulders pushable without using Strength?

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
I have been meaning to ask this for a long time now.
I hope anyone can help me shed some light on this.

But what exactly are the difference between .sav and .sgm saved files?
I can load the .sav file just fine, but I can't seem to figure out how to load the .sgm file.
Are they different from the settings of our emulator?

Thanks~

karatekid552

Years
Okay, now this is more confusing. So what do I really put in?
In Var Number, what do I put in? Can I put 4000 or 4001 there?

In Var Value, what do I put in? Can I put 0001 or something like that? I noticed on a clean FR Rom most Script Events use that.

And a new question, is there a way to make boulders pushable without using Strength?

god I need to write that tutorial on Vars, Flags, and Script Tiles that has been on the backburner for months.

A var. You know vars. The vars we script with. We have been over this before. The only safe vars are the non-temp ones that are between 0x4000 and 0x40FF. Check DavidJCobbs posts to find what each one does and if there are free ones:

The script will only run if the var is set to the value. So, if you want the script to run after an event, set the value to 01 and then when that event ends, set the var to 01. Now it matches what you put in A-map, and the next time the player steps on the tile, the script will run.

Try looking at the boulder script. I'm sure you can figure this one out.

Gyrath

Pokemon Lurid Creator
Years

I can load the .sav file just fine, but I can't seem to figure out how to load the .sgm file.

Thanks~

I'm not sure, I've never seen this file let alone have it. Do you need the file for something specific or just wondering what it's for?

karatekid552

Years

Thanks~

.SAV is the file produced by the rom itself (essentially) and serves as the same save file you find on a regular cartridge. All emulators can load this.

.SGM is essentially a ram snapshot used to load the game. I believe each emulator compresses these differently, which is why only the emulator that created it can load it, unless the emulator has compatibility with other emulators.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
god I need to write that tutorial on Vars, Flags, and Script Tiles that has been on the backburner for months.

A var. You know vars. The vars we script with. We have been over this before. The only safe vars are the non-temp ones that are between 0x4000 and 0x40FF. Check DavidJCobbs posts to find what each one does and if there are free ones:

The script will only run if the var is set to the value. So, if you want the script to run after an event, set the value to 01 and then when that event ends, set the var to 01. Now it matches what you put in A-map, and the next time the player steps on the tile, the script will run.

Try looking at the boulder script. I'm sure you can figure this one out.

Okay. Sorry to bother. It's just that this is what made me confused.

karatekid552 said:

Oh and, why does on a clean FR Rom and an FR Rom with JPAN's Clean Patch, it works? Did JPAN's Engine touch the parts of Script Events?

Last edited:

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
I can't find an answer to this so I'll ask here.

Everytime I try to open my game in Advanced IntroEd , I get this: 'Runtime Error 380': Invalid Property Value. This was a Ruby (AXVE) rom. All I want to do is remove the opening truck ASM. So is there some way to fix the error or remove the ASM without the tool?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back