• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Game] ? ART BATTLE #6 ? ELEKTRA HEART VS MAGISTRUM: Digital Art (Creepy)

Who should win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
♔ ART BATTLE #6 ♔ ELEKTRA HEART VS MAGISTRUM: Digital Art (Creepy)

✂ ART BATTLE ✂
ELEKTRA HEART VS MAGISTRUM​
The specifications: Digital Art: Creepy Pokemon

Entry #1: Giratina
EfBByzU.png

Entry #2: Mega Gengar
1k0Ebcn.png

Voting lasts for one week!
Use the poll, but go ahead put your thoughts about the work in the thread!

Don't forget that you too can sign up for your own art battle here!
Get in the queue today!​

CSS by Achromatic.

Reunilu

of the Eastern Skies
Years
Voted for Giratina.

Bit at odds with this vote. I think Gengar looks pretty great, but it seemed more "cool" than "creepy" to me. Giratina however, seemed creepy to me.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 1, 2016
Coolish looking Mega Gengar doing a Shadow Ball
Vs.
Creepy looking Giratina with a mutated blood-dripping mouth about to devour a whole planet

My vote is Giratina

Years
I dunno what you guys are smoking but the Mega Gengar is creepy enough on that image. The wrinkly face and the uneven jagged teeth are a plus. You were just blinded by the dynamic fighting pose while charging that Shadow Ball that naturally gives a cool vibe.

I could say the Giratina-O is plenty creepy too and arguably better in concept but the way it was delivered fell flat. Giratina was curled off to the right for some reason, leaving a lot of dead space on the left side of the image. It would have been better if Giratina-O's big gaping mouth was next to Earth, about to swallow it, rather than just dripping red saliva on it lol.

Voted Mega Gengar for execution and sheer quality.

Years
I agree mostly with Incursio, although, people have different opinions on creepiness.

Anyway, I agree with the quality of work put into the Mega Gengar piece really sells a dark vibe. The attention to teeth? I love it, the detail of it and the smile. The values in the piece really helped it, too, which I think the Giratina piece could've played around with more.
With significantly more darker values and spots of light values, it can really sell for a creepy composition! Especially if you have the chance to show more of the shadows of Giratina and maybe only show the red drops and highlights? With eyes, it could add a little extra interaction. A cool reference I like shows examples of the same subject and different lighting situations:
Spoiler:

I'd say check the post out for more help on mood and how lighting helps it if you think you'd benefit from it. But like lighting suggests, it can determine what mood the piece has. I'd suggest you get creepy and mysterious vibes from more negative space (the darker values) and less of the positive spaces. That's probably why we can get a cool and creepy vibe from the Gengar (personal opinion I don't wanna speak for anyone) because of, like Incursio said, the dynamic pose it has along with the composition AND the range of values really make it dark. It went beyond in dynamics (posing, lighting, composition ect) so I voted for Gengar because I appreciated the dynamics. Giratina is made well, it just could have been pushed a little further with values and a more determined lighting situation. ;u;

You both did an excellent job, especially concept wise and I wish the best of luck to both of you!​

Back