Advertiser Content
  • 1675 replies

skywalker

Non-binary
Seen 15 Hours Ago
Posted 18 Hours Ago
33,604 posts
12.2 Years
That's a really cool idea, perhaps someone should make that happen.
I'm not sure the people here could handle such a drastic change. I mean, what if the sections changed names at the same time? No on would find it anymore. The chaos would be greater than on the day of Blarzigord.

gimmepie

Age 24
Male
Australia
Seen 4 Hours Ago
Posted 4 Hours Ago
21,024 posts
7.7 Years
I'm not sure the people here could handle such a drastic change. I mean, what if the sections changed names at the same time? No on would find it anymore. The chaos would be greater than on the day of Blarzigord.
You should pray to our great lord Blarzigord for guidance.

skywalker

Non-binary
Seen 15 Hours Ago
Posted 18 Hours Ago
33,604 posts
12.2 Years
Blarzigord Corner
- Unholy Halls of Recruitment
- Dark Alien Adventure Land

gimmepie

Age 24
Male
Australia
Seen 4 Hours Ago
Posted 4 Hours Ago
21,024 posts
7.7 Years
Blarzigord Corner
- Unholy Halls of Recruitment
- Dark Alien Adventure Land
Make this happen.
That is all.

Ice

Seen 4 Weeks Ago
Posted 4 Weeks Ago
3,453 posts
5.5 Years
to be honest, i find the white line after every line of dialogue to be extremely irksome, haha. it breaks the cohesion of the dialogue for me. of course white lines are necessary to separate paragraphs and avoid walls of text, but after every line in a single dialogue i find it really annoying. ( ´ ▽ ` )ゞ also because the RP post ends up becoming more white than actual text, and make it seem like there is very little 'body text' to a post, if that makes sense.
i didn't realise this was actually the regular way of writing in RPs however, so i apologize if anyone found my posts so far annoying to read. still... i'm not about to change it much either ( ´ ▽ ` )ゞ if anything, i might try playing around with the aforementioned indents to signify conversation and make it easier to read, but otherwise, i don't know. sorrynotsorry
There is a difference in white lines. I personally like it if people use a single enter to differentiate their dialogue from other characters, but if you use a double enter that you would use for a paragraph, it get's to be a bit much. In my version of word, I use shift+enter to shift down a line if I get to a new sentence of dialogue, and use a full enter when I feel like it's time to start a new paragraph.

Nagi

Age 25
Female
home
Seen October 18th, 2016
Posted October 10th, 2016
997 posts
5.3 Years
There is a difference in white lines. I personally like it if people use a single enter to differentiate their dialogue from other characters, but if you use a double enter that you would use for a paragraph, it get's to be a bit much. In my version of word, I use shift+enter to shift down a line if I get to a new sentence of dialogue, and use a full enter when I feel like it's time to start a new paragraph.
this is exactly what i do yes. just one enter/return (so no white line in between) for switching between different characters' lines in a dialogue. so i suppose technically i'm one of 'those people' that puts several characters' dialogue into one 'paragraph'. c: sorry if the whole mention of a 'white line' was confusing, but i thought it'd be the most clear description of what otherwise would be a 'full/double enter', haha.

this is different in JPs though, i agree. i always like to separate the other person's writing from mine by a white line hehe.
-
-
-
-
i'm so t i r e d

skywalker

Non-binary
Seen 15 Hours Ago
Posted 18 Hours Ago
33,604 posts
12.2 Years
[FONT=Lato
this is different in JPs though, i agree. i always like to separate the other person's writing from mine by a white line hehe.[/FONT]
*cringes*

Haha, I really dislike this personally, as I much prefer a JP to look like a consistently typed thing and not as if it was made by different people. But that might be my writer's brain kicking in. In roleplaying, it's actually pretty neat to be able to see who has written what. I just... Need to try to accept it haha.

PkMnTrainer Yellow

Queen of Magical Girls

Female
East Coast, USA
Seen February 9th, 2019
Posted February 9th, 2019
4,571 posts
11.4 Years
Y'know, I've been thinking about a method to better format dialogue heavy posts. For a long time my solution has just been "DON'T WRITE DIALOGUE HEAVY POSTS!", which to be fair has more to do with giving people the chance to interrupt the dialogue and respond to the dialogue. However, sometimes you've just gotta do what you've gotta do y'know? I still haven't figured out a perfect solution to the dilmena.

One linebreak without whitepace looks messy. Two linebreaks with whitespace looks like an inefficient use of space. No linebreaks has a tendency to impact the writing's clarity.You can work around the clarity issue by more closely imitating the way books are written, constantly specifying who is speaking directly, but that's potentially tedious and potentially just as inefficient with space as two linebreaks.

It's such a struggle~

It's been a long time since we crossed paths over space-time~

skywalker

Non-binary
Seen 15 Hours Ago
Posted 18 Hours Ago
33,604 posts
12.2 Years
Here are some fun examples of different styles of writing RP posts, all of which are perfectly legible imo! http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=8714599#8714599

Rose Quartz only makes any kind of breaks when she feels that a new paragraph is needed. Any dialogue, regardless of person talking, is simply within the text.

Me and Robin write a lot of dialogue and always make double linebreaks between any new person speaking.

Nagi indents the dialogue, with single linebreaks between dialogue parts but double linebreaks between paragraphs.

gimmepie makes a linebreak whenever there is dialogue, but makes double linebreaks where he feels a new paragraph is needed.

Interesting to analyze, isn't it? 8) None of these examples use colored text though.

gimmepie

Age 24
Male
Australia
Seen 4 Hours Ago
Posted 4 Hours Ago
21,024 posts
7.7 Years
Here are some fun examples of different styles of writing RP posts, all of which are perfectly legible imo! http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=8714599#8714599

Rose Quartz only makes any kind of breaks when she feels that a new paragraph is needed. Any dialogue, regardless of person talking, is simply within the text.

Me and Robin write a lot of dialogue and always make double linebreaks between any new person speaking.

Nagi indents the dialogue, with single linebreaks between dialogue parts but double linebreaks between paragraphs.

gimmepie makes a linebreak whenever there is dialogue, but makes double linebreaks where he feels a new paragraph is needed.

Interesting to analyze, isn't it? 8) None of these examples use colored text though.
It actually is extremely interesting xD
Especially because a lot of us find switching to different styles quite hard, I just tried the spaces method in one of my last posts and it was actually surprisingly hard to make myself do.

I wonder what actually influences our preferred methods of writing.

Also, what conventions do you guys use when handling thought? I think most of us use italics, but how do you handle the breaks and things there? I tend to follow a similar approach to external speech.

Ice

Seen 4 Weeks Ago
Posted 4 Weeks Ago
3,453 posts
5.5 Years
It actually is extremely interesting xD
Especially because a lot of us find switching to different styles quite hard, I just tried the spaces method in one of my last posts and it was actually surprisingly hard to make myself do.

I wonder what actually influences our preferred methods of writing.

Also, what conventions do you guys use when handling thought? I think most of us use italics, but how do you handle the breaks and things there? I tend to follow a similar approach to external speech.
I think what influences it the most is how much internet writing against conventional writing we've read. I am really new to this, but I have read a lot of Dutch books, so I keep myself to Dutch writing conventions. It's why I need to adjust to the big amount of paragraph enters, and white lines. It's also why in the JP I didn't really want to do a perspective change. I guess I'm mostly afraid of change, haha

When it comes to thinking I use italics, because that's the norm, but I dislike it myself. I usually don't change anything, and just insert he/she thought into the sentence. No special interpunction or font or anything. But the italics make it clear too, and it's not too bad, so I can live with it.

gimmepie

Age 24
Male
Australia
Seen 4 Hours Ago
Posted 4 Hours Ago
21,024 posts
7.7 Years
I think what influences it the most is how much internet writing against conventional writing we've read. I am really new to this, but I have read a lot of Dutch books, so I keep myself to Dutch writing conventions. It's why I need to adjust to the big amount of paragraph enters, and white lines. It's also why in the JP I didn't really want to do a perspective change. I guess I'm mostly afraid of change, haha

When it comes to thinking I use italics, because that's the norm, but I dislike it myself. I usually don't change anything, and just insert he/she thought into the sentence. No special interpunction or font or anything. But the italics make it clear too, and it's not too bad, so I can live with it.
Even in books italics tend to be used though. That's because quotation marks indicate the spoken word. I do think you're right though, the writing conventions we experience and learn probably have a lot to do with how we write in RPs.

Nagi

Age 25
Female
home
Seen October 18th, 2016
997 posts
5.3 Years
*cringes*

Haha, I really dislike this personally, as I much prefer a JP to look like a consistently typed thing and not as if it was made by different people. But that might be my writer's brain kicking in. In roleplaying, it's actually pretty neat to be able to see who has written what. I just... Need to try to accept it haha.
haha! no i actually really agree that it is important for a JP finished product to come out as a coherent story, rather than a jumbled mix of styles. it's just that i'd use a double linebreak (learned a new phrase today) to separate it because i wouldn't want to tick off my co-writers by editing into their text or anything like that. and since usually both write about their own characters only, a double linebreak is warranted anyway because the focus changes to the other character.

it really is interesting to see our different writing styles in the Digimon RP too, which is why i love reading everyone's posts there so much - i feel like i'm learning a lot! and to be honest, i really only implemented the indents into my post today, after the discussion we had about it here, haha. i'd have done it differently, but using an indent automatically creates a double linebreak to whatever you write outside of the indent (。 >艸<) but i'm also really not a fan of coloured text

as for handling thought - i always try to write as close to the type of writing you'd find in a book, and so i try to never put literal thoughts in italics. rather, i describe how my character feels about something c:
-
-
-
-
i'm so t i r e d

Ice

Seen 4 Weeks Ago
Posted 4 Weeks Ago
3,453 posts
5.5 Years

as for handling thought - i always try to write as close to the type of writing you'd find in a book, and so i try to never put literal thoughts in italics. rather, i describe how my character feels about something c:
Books have thinking characters, right? A character could give a mental opinion about something, or think through his actions, it's not just described feeling there.

@GP, I have never read a book with italics used for thought, but there may be some differences in Dutch and English writing conventions. Same thing with the indents thing, I have never seen that.

When it comes to reading JP's, I'd like a paragraph (and preferably a whole post, but that may be too unreasonable) to written from one perspective. I don't like it when you can hear multiple thoughts in the same paragraph, and there is no real perspective you read from. I don't know how reasonable that is to expect from people, though.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice

Age 22
Male
England
Seen March 18th, 2019
Posted January 16th, 2017
1,374 posts
6.9 Years
What do people feel about writing in 1st perspective? As far as I know nearly everyone here write their posts in 3rd person, but I would love to see a roleplay where everything is done in 1st perspective; that way describing what a person is thinking and any emotions involved can be described in a more natural way.

I don't see it as a permanent thing, as 3rd person is probably better suited for most rps (especially ones which include heavy action), but it would interesting imo.
>> paired to gimmepie · last.fm

Nagi

Age 25
Female
home
Seen October 18th, 2016
997 posts
5.3 Years
Books have thinking characters, right? A character could give a mental opinion about something, or think through his actions, it's not just described feeling there.

@GP, I have never read a book with italics used for thought, but there may be some differences in Dutch and English writing conventions. Same thing with the indents thing, I have never seen that.

When it comes to reading JP's, I'd like a paragraph (and preferably a whole post, but that may be too unreasonable) to written from one perspective. I don't like it when you can hear multiple thoughts in the same paragraph, and there is no real perspective you read from. I don't know how reasonable that is to expect from people, though.
oh no, that's not what i meant! the keyword there was 'describe' - i'd write my character's thoughts in a third-person perspective.

this i think is actually very interesting. in English books, are italics really used to indicate thought, like gimmepie mentioned? it seems strange to me, but it could be because i have just been exposed to the exact same books and way of writing that MorallyIncorrect has. i do remember reading English novels before and being surprised at some ways of formatting certain things, but sadly right now it's been too long for me to remember what exactly was so different ( ´ ▽ ` )ゞ
-
-
-
-
i'm so t i r e d

skywalker

Non-binary
Seen 15 Hours Ago
Posted 18 Hours Ago
33,604 posts
12.2 Years
What do people feel about writing in 1st perspective? As far as I know nearly everyone here write their posts in 3rd person, but I would love to see a roleplay where everything is done in 1st perspective; that way describing what a person is thinking and any emotions involved can be described in a more natural way.

I don't see it as a permanent thing, as 3rd person is probably better suited for most rps (especially ones which include heavy action), but it would interesting imo.
I think Gelius writes in 1st person but I haven't seen many others.

I like to experiment sometimes! In two recent posts in Crossroads, where I didn't write as my main character but as Kurt and Bugsy respectively, I used 2nd perspective! It's really cozy, I think. But I only did it for fun intermissions, I don't think a whole RP from 2nd perspective would make much sense to anyone haha.

The reason 3rd works best in roleplays is that there are many different characters. In a solo writing, a novel or fic, 1st person can work well. And usually is coupled with present tense for extra dramatic flair, I've noticed! But if everyone wrote in 1st person in a RP, there wouldn't at all be as smooth a flow when you read through the whole thing.

Nakuzami

Age 21
Female
The Forgotten Crossroads
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 4 Weeks Ago
6,892 posts
9.4 Years

this i think is actually very interesting. in English books, are italics really used to indicate thought, like gimmepie mentioned? it seems strange to me, but it could be because i have just been exposed to the exact same books and way of writing that MorallyIncorrect has. i do remember reading English novels before and being surprised at some ways of formatting certain things, but sadly right now it's been too long for me to remember what exactly was so different ( ´ ▽ ` )ゞ

I used to write in first person a lot
but then I realized that I preferred third person, haha

I also used to bold dialogue and even color it, and put thoughts in italics and whatnot. I don't really do any of those things anymore as my writing has shifted more towards how one would write a novel, at least in format.

as far as the thoughts in italics in novels thing goes . . . I don't recall seeing that. I only read English novels, soooo yeah. Books in first person obviously have no need for that, and a lot of times a writer will have it go

words words words, character thought.

but it's possible that some novels have done it, and perhaps I've even seen it done but have forgotten. that's quite likely, actually. quite likely . . . darn my memory.

one thing I noticed when I read a British novel, Faeries Wars, was that the author placed dialogue between apostrophes rather than quotation marks.

'So it was like this'
instead of
"Being like this"

"Sure, there're probably infinite dimensions, but I'm with you in this one, so why would I try to find them?"
~Neil Hilborn

skywalker

Non-binary
Seen 15 Hours Ago
Posted 18 Hours Ago
33,604 posts
12.2 Years
Mm, I read British Harry Potter and Rowling did apostrophes instead of quotation marks.

In Swedish, we often use a "speech dash" instead. Like:

- Hi! she said.
- Oh wow, it's you, he said, obviously not too impressed.
- Yeah, what's your problem? she asked, now annoyed. I thought you'd be happy.

And so on. Confused yet? ;)

Ray Maverick

Age 24
Male
Seen 16 Hours Ago
Posted December 12th, 2019
3,395 posts
10.9 Years

Writing as a player in an RP in first person can be fun, but for the readers of that RP (and the other players too), I think it can get rather confusing, even unfair. Confusing because, the perspective of the RP isn't constant and universally accepted - the one who uses the first person feels like the protagonist to third party readers, while the others may feel like just characters in that person's life, if someone reads the RP like a book for enjoyment. I think that harms the storytelling. And, it's unfair to the other players. Usually, protagonists use the "I". Since we're all protagonists in the RPs we participate in (or at least we should be), then I believe it's best if we all stick either with first or third person, for the sake of continuity and fairness.

That goes for RPs I personally GM, though. If you're in an RP with me, and you want to definitely write in first person, I won't mind.

Foxrally

Age 21
Male
a Torterra's back
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted October 10th, 2019
2,584 posts
6.8 Years
Mm, I read British Harry Potter and Rowling did apostrophes instead of quotation marks.

- Hi! she said.

Afaik it's the same in France too. French books also use that for dialogue. Although I prefer quotation marks over apostrophes.
Paired to Ice and gimmepie
3DS Friend Code
0103-9972-1307
I make memes and other carcinogens

gimmepie

Age 24
Male
Australia
Seen 4 Hours Ago
Posted 4 Hours Ago
21,024 posts
7.7 Years

- Hi! she said.

That method would actually work quite nicely in an RP.
It reminds me of script-writing.

Estrello

Beyond The Stars

Male
England
Seen December 17th, 2019
Posted December 14th, 2019
738 posts
8.8 Years
I've noticed in what I've recently been reading, they do not put "She/he" said. They only put:
- Hi!
- Oh wow, it's you.
- Yeah, what's your problem?

And you follow along as it's implied that a new character new line, and some things a character just wouldn't say and etcetera and that allows you to find out who is talking, and if they explicitly need an action they do this.
- You shouldn't look in there.
- Why not?
(Character) opened the book proudly.
- It's a secret!

This comes from the British Writer, Tom Rob Smith. Really I think it just depends on writer style/choice instead of nationality.

I am the player of José "Anima" Dartmoor of Gunpowder Roleplay : : : Sign Up Post | Gunpowder

Ice

Seen 4 Weeks Ago
Posted 4 Weeks Ago
3,453 posts
5.5 Years
I've seen that in books too, and as far as I know it's only used in one on one dialogue. It puts a bit of speed to the conversation, and I think it can be used in a good way. If you have two characters arguing and the focus is on what they say, it can be a good way to convey that. Or just in simple conversations, like small talk. It can be argued that what happens around the characters isn't so important and therefor doesn't really have to be described. It's also really good to convey awkwardness, if you keep the sentences short. I think this branches more into general writing, though, and I don't know if we want to encroach on that area.

When doing a JP, would you be fine with someone else writing their characters actions from your characters perspective? I notice myself preferring this, because I like to keep a consistent perspective, but I can totally imagine people not really feelin alright with this.
Advertiser Content