• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Who Is The Hardest gym Leader In HG/SS?

Who Is The Hardest Gym Leader Of HG/SS?

• Falkner

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Bugsy

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • Whitney

Votes: 139 49.3%
  • Morty

Votes: 15 5.3%
  • Chuck

Votes: 15 5.3%
  • Jasmine

Votes: 16 5.7%
  • Bryce

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Claire

Votes: 77 27.3%
  • Other (Kanto)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ultimate Uchiha

Switchin' It Up
Years
For some weird reason, I had a really tough time with Chuck's Poliwrath the last time I played soul silver. I think it took me somewhere between 4-6 times to finally beat. Other than Chuck, the rest of the gym leaders were surprisingly easy.

for him.

I'm trash.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 6, 2023
For me it was Jasmine since I played HG/SS without a fire or fighting type and didn't get my ground type until later into the game. Whitney ended up being really easy for me.

Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2012
I never really had any problems with any of the gym leaders. Back in the original games, Whitney was really hard for me to beat, but I didn't really understand how to properly battle back then. If I had to choose the most difficult, I would go with Whitney, though.

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2012
Clair, cuz at that time I had no dragon or ice type to counter and her dragons are resistant to my hits.

KadabraK

pokeboy
Years
  • Age 28
  • ohio
  • Seen Mar 29, 2020
Nails down to Clair, Whitney, or Monty. Clair's Kingdra always gave me trouble, Whitney's Miltank gives everyone trouble, and that Gengar always seems to get me.

Years
  • Seen Feb 4, 2013
Whitney was very hard to beat in the original GSC, but in the remakes, I think the hardest was Chuck.

Years
I didn't really have much trouble with the gym leaders this time around. I remember Blaine being somewhat tough. But then again half of my Pokemon were weak against Fire, and I distinctly remember falling asleep during that battle.

Years
Clair was probably the toughest for me, Morty and Pryce as well cause I didn't have Awakenings the first time I challenged Morty haha and Pryce's Dewgong kept resting lol. But yeah Clair was the first one I was like "woah, it's on" lol.

Whitney was a piece of cake, I had a Nidoran female with Double Kick and I took her down first time lol.

NiGHtsBeta09

Rescuer/Explorer/Trainer
Years
Now if you're judging them by the difficulty of when you first fight them, this could be interesting. Compared to other Generations, GSC/HGSS has some notoriously hard Gym Leaders. But the ones that stick out to me as being the hardest would probably be...

Bugsy in second place, due to his Scyther being able to annihilate you if you don't have a good Pokemon to beat it. But first place is definitely Whitney! For that early in the game, that Milk Drinking Miltank of hers is a spotted-hide demon! I still have nightmares of facing that thing as a child. D:

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2012
Fricken Chuck and his Poliwrath... Such a pain in the butt. I had to train so much it was incredibly annoying... So I'm voting for Chuck.

-Alex

Jacinth

~Darling~
Years
Despite what most say, Whitney was the easiest for me. All I had to do was splurge on the TM for Focus Blast and my Furret, Pabu, 1HKO'd her clefairy and miltank. I didn't even know Bugsy's scyther had u-turn... He never used it on me, and flame wheel took it out pretty quick. The only one that really frustrated me was Clair and her stupid Dragonairs with thunder wave. I HATE PARALYSIS. SO. MUCH.

Pheonix Down

Forever Raichu
Years
I actually had a really tough time against that Kingdra against claire. But overall Miltank at such an early point in the game i think is overpowered, what with the milk drink and high attack/defense/hp/sp attack. Blooming nightmare it was to defeat that thing with no fighting type.

Danny Leo

The Best There Is!
Years
halolz-dot-com-pokemon-heartgold-soulsilver-miltank-nopokemonissafe.jpg

Whitney's Miltank is just pure evil.

Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2020
All the other gym leaders were fairly easy, apart from Whitney. Her milktank spammed milk drink and rollout so my Quilava was in one heck of a world of pain. Took me 4-5 times to beat her.

Back